A Carnival guy on Freedom OTS, The WOW factor: A pictorial review

OK, I'm hating CC tonight with all of the errors :mad:, but Grady, I have to say I am LOVING this review!!!! I love all of the photos. I don't think I've ever seen such a comprehensive view of a ship ... and you haven't even sailed yet.

Keep up the great work. Loving it :D:D

Miriam

Excellent pictures! Tell us more about the technical aspect- how did you get such great pictures?

No trick really, I just take a lot of pictures from a lot of angles hoping for a few great ones among them.

As far as the tech, its just a point and shoot "bridge camera", Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28, 10 MP, 18X Zoom. Although its not a DSLR, it has served me well so far.

33175918-2-440-OVR-1.gif

Photo from: http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz28/4505-6501_7-33175918.html

No trick really, I just take a lot of pictures from a lot of angles hoping for a few great ones among them.

As far as the tech, its just a point and shoot "bridge camera", Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28, 10 MP, 18X Zoom. Although its not a DSLR, it has served me well so far.

33175918-2-440-OVR-1.gif

Photo from: http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz28/4505-6501_7-33175918.html

That's the strategy I used on our Liberty of the Seas cruise a few years ago. How many photos did you end up with? I ended up with 1,355 photos and another 250 between my parents and sister.

what a great review, so far... That ship is so big, I would need a b2b just to get through it all. ;)

When I was on the navigator I felt like I never made it "outside".... I wonder if this class has more outdoor spaces then the navigator did???:confused:

She does have a lot of exterior decks. I spent a lot of time on the exterior promenade on deck 4. From that deck I also went up to the helipad a lot. I have not been on Navigator, so I can't really compare the two.

We attended the Welcome Aboard show which was very good. It was a variety show featuring songs from the ships orchestra, and an acrobatic performance by Jimmy and Anna. This was the first time I had ever seen an acrobatics show on a ship, they did a very impressive show. The show was finished up with a short stand up routine by Jim Colliton. He was funny, and we planned to attend his “adults only” show later in the cruise.

We requested and were granted a table for two by the Maitre’ D in the Galileo Dining room, which is the top floor of the ship’s gargantuan three level main restaurant. Our table was right next to the rail, so we had a great view of the entire dining room below us. The food on the first night was good, but not great. The prime rib that I ordered came out very, very dry. The rest of the meal was alright, but nothing spectacular. On the other hand, or wait staff was excellent. After dinner we headed to the Promenade and watched the “Party around the World” parade with some of our Cruise Critic folks. It was pretty neat to see all the costumed performers, dancers and acrobats putting on a huge show right on the Promenade. All in all it was a tremendously exciting first day. The ship is so huge with so much to do that it’s hard to take in during just one day.

We ended up passing Sensation

232323232%7Ffp43359%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3297428%3A%3C9326nu0mrj

The Welcome Aboard Show, a full house

232323232%7Ffp43348%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3297427%3B%3B9326nu0mrj

The acrobats

232323232%7Ffp43348%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D329742%3A995326nu0mrj

Our table, #555

232323232%7Ffp43347%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3297427%3B%3C%3A326nu0mrj

Hi Grady,

You are fantastic, what great photos. I don't have to post my review because you have done it all. Enjoyed sailing with you and all the other CC folks on this beautiful ship. What an great cruise just not enought time to do it all.

I have copied some of your photos, they were so much better than mine. Thanks for a great review, waiting to see and read the remainder.

Linda & Tom

WHAT A GREAT REVIEW! Thanks so much for taking the time to upload all the great pics!

You made a comment-don't know if you care or not:

Cruising out of Port Canaveral

Not sure why that is there

232323232%7Ffp43356%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D3297424738326nu0mrj

That is the acutal sail from the USS Nathanael Greene SSBN 636.

She was a Fleet Ballistic Missile Submarine that ran aground in 1986. It is a memorial to the original 41 ballistic missile submarines. It was placed in full view of departing ships as a reminder that our submarine force is still on patrol throughout the world today keeping us safe.

Archived