Monarch was disappointing

Well said, DocJohnB. I don't understand why I am a "troll". I am still rolling on the floor laughing at this immaturity! I like all types of lines. I like to cruise. I actually preffer a new RCI ship over the Crystal Serenity. I was actually quite dissapointed with the Crystal Serenity (that's another topic on its own). The Monarch was quick, convienient, and most of all dissapointing! Some like old ships. Many old ships like the QE2 are nice. I would not mind a old nice ship. I just don't want to go on an old ship the is not up to my RCI expectations!

Celebrity Galaxy- 7/98
Celebrity Zenith- 7/99
Rhapsody of the Seas- 12/99
Voyager of the Seas- 8/00
Celebrity Millennium- 6/01
Radiance of the Seas- 10/01
Explorer of the Seas- 12/01
Celebrity Millennium- 4/02
Celebrity Constellation- 6/02
Celebrity Summit- 8/02
Radiance of the Seas- 8/02
Norwegian Star- 11/02
Norwegian Dawn- 12/02
Celebrity Infinity- 4/03
Radisson Seven Seas Voyager- 6/03
Crystal Serenity- 8/03
Monarch of the Seas- 10/03
Serenade of the Seas- 10/03
Mariner of the Seas- 12/03
Queen Mary II (Queen's Grill)- 03/04
Westerdam- 06/04
Jewel of the Seas 11/04

Miscellaneous ship visits:
The World- 12/02
Legend of the Seas- 11/03
Seven Seas Voyager- 01/03
Caronia- 04/04

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Whether it is concerning a certain cruise or a posters perspective that might give insight into their opinion on a cruise.

Now, to call someone a cruise snob might be a bit harsh. However, if you're accustomed to top notch five star treatment or maybe even even 7+ night cruises, a 3 night booze cruise very well could be an exercise in frustration. I just wouldn't expect it to compare.

Now I haven't been on all that many cruises. I have read many posts on these forums and participated on these forums for several months. One thing I have gleaned from reading all those posts is that if I'm expecting a 3 or 4 night cruise to compare to a 7 night cruise, I could be in for a disapointment. It seems to be a completely different crowd and a different mind set. It's a weekender, not a vacation for some or many of the cruisers.

Thus, one can, from the number and types of cruises taken, gain an insight on the perspective of the poster.

A while back one of the posters asked what the # of posts or how recent they have become members has to do with ones opinion. Generally speaking, very little. There have been people in the past that post controversial things just to stir it up a bit and get people fighting. Because of a few, many are viewed with suspicion. It's a shame but I'm afraid that's human nature.
From past posts on those who have taken this cruise recently, the opinion of the OP generally runs contrary to popular opinion. I think people are just trying to find reasons why.

On the other hand, there was a post of a recent cruiser on Emperess OTS that was pretty negative. That poster is reasonably new to these forums and has very few posts. However, he opinion has not been questioned. In large part I feel because Eperess has just come out of dry dock and there is no measure of how good or bad of a cruising experience it will be. For the most part, I see similarities between her Empress experience and those on the Monarch right after she came out of dry dock.

So in short, it's to some degree human nature to question why an opinion would run so contrary to recent posts.

Future cruises
Explorer OTS - Easter Caribbean 11/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;11;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]
Monarch OTS - Mexico Baja 1/05
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2005;01;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]
Brilliance OTS - Mediteranian 10/05
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2005;10;15;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

Past cruises
Vision OTS - Alaska 7/03
Legend OTS - Alaska 7/02

Wow...that is upsetting to hear...the Monarch was the ship that got my cruise addiction going. She was truly a wonderful old girl. This was before her makeover and repositioning to LA. We had done a 5 night Western out of Fort Lauderdale and fell in love with cruising. Honestly...this past Majesty cruise was wonderful...but that first cruise on the Monarch was the best. The service in the dining room, our cabin steward...everything was top notch. My only complaint, which I listed in my review 3 years ago, was unsupervised teens on the ship. Haven't seen it that bad since that cruise...both of my more recent had better control of things.

Again...sorry to hear of your experience...I'm glad to hear you aren't giving up on RCCL completely!!!

My first balcony on the Vision!!! 2/20/05
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2005;2;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
RCCL Majesty of the Seas - April 2004
Carnival Inspiration - June 2003
RCCL Monarch of the Seas - July 2002

Gosh, people sure have different experiences! I have been on both Monarch and Ecstasy. I would not step foot on the Ecstasy again if it were free, but I would go on the Monarch again in a heartbeat.

We had such a good time on Monarch last August, we went on again for Christmas. What is funny, though, our waiter at Christmas had BO. I would never have blamed the cruise line for that, I feel that is an individuals problem. In comparison, Ecstacy stunk throughout of cigarette smoke, that is something I cannot tolerate.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Kathy

We sailed on the Monarch April 2004..this was our 16th cruise, 5th on RCL. I had a great cruise on the Monarch... ship was in excellent condition. Entertainment fun, liked the itinerary as we had not been to California before. We did feel the food was the bottom of all of our cruises taste wise,..also service for us in the dining room also poor. Our wait staff could not converse in English..they lacked the people skills necessary to make a good connection with the passengers. I would rate the cruise overall a 3 1/2 out of 5 stars.
As always, each voyage can bring back 2 very different experiences. I think most cruisers will find plenty to be happy about on the Monarch.
Chris Mitchell

16 Voyages completed 1999-2004, 81 wonderful days at sea
dreaming of ....
Norwegian Crown 8/04
Carnival Fascination 11/04

Some people like premium cruises and some people are perfectly satified with a mass-market ship like Monarch of the Seas. Maybe it is becuase they know nothing else. Before I went on luxury lines, I thought that RCI was the best as well. But, I can not afford to JUST do luxury cruises.

All I was saying is that those people who are accustomed to 7-night cruises on a newer RCI ship might be in for a bit of a shock on the Monarch. She is a fine old lady of the seas, but not my type of lady.

APF

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tinkerme1:
It is really interesting to note that this review is VERY out of date. I have taken the Monarch twice since this cruiser took their cruise. . .<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree with tinkerme1. I've been aboard the Monarch twice this year and found it to be a pleasant cruise experience. This was even after cruising 7 days aboard Princess to Alaska a few months earlier. I found the Monarch to provide a true cruising experience, albeit I expected some differences. For example, I knew what to expect from a "party" crowd, but only had a few issues in terms of noise on the second trip as we were on the same deck as the night club. Food was good, but not great; entertainment good. For the most part, it's a good cruise--probably as good as you are going to get for a three dayer.

Perhaps expectations are playing a part in our differing opinions as well. I went in expecting very small cabins and found them quite comfortable and even roomy enough for us--and yes, we've stayed in suites and mini-suites in the past so I have something to compare to. However, we've also been in smaller cabins. I believe I knew what to expect, had reasonable expectations, and enjoyed it. In fact, I enjoyed the ship and cruise so much that I took my brother and mother on the cruise last month and they totally enjoyed it. However, we only paid $200pp and definately felt that we got our monies worth. Had I spent $400-$600, I'd be disappointed (assuming a standard room), but it was a great getaway. You can barely spend a weekend in Vegas for that price. And as far as demographics are concerned, the weekend cruises (both lines) bring in younger partying crowds, wereas the four-day cruise brings in an older crowd.

KLC
UPCOMING CRUISES:
---------------------
PRIDE OF ???????-HAWAII (01/05)
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;01;2;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000[/img]

PREVIOUS CRUISES
-------------------------
RCI's Monarch of the Seas (01/04)
Star Princess (6/03)
RCI's Rhapsody of the Seas (4/01)
Carnival's Ecstasy (6/96)
RCI's Viking Serenade (1/94)

[This message was edited by jkrislc on 05-18-04 at 08:15 PM.]

We were on the Monarch April 5th and enjoyed ourselves. We've been on two Carnival and a Princess - enjoyed all except the second Carnival. We had a good time on the Monarch, knew not to expect the best of the line, and booked again for June. It was our 20th Anniv in April and we wanted a little get away without having to fly cross country. Since we've cruised once this year have to budget so are picking the same cruise again. We didn't think anyone was out of line with behaviour - in fact it felt like the ship was practically empty. The staff were friendly and served us well. We always make a point of taking a few minutes to ask about their country and if they are open to talk we enjoy our conversations and learn a lot about their homelands.

Like any vacation - and life itself - it's all what you put into it. Hope everyone enjoys their next vacation!

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] How can anyone forget about
Cruise Critic? [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Soveriegn 92 E. Caribbean
Majesty 95 W. Caribbean
Granduer 97 E. Caribbean
Rhapsody 00 Mexico
Vision 02 Alaska
Radiance 03 Panama Canal
Brilliance 3/29/04

Radiance of the Seas/Panama Canal 10/18/2003
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;10;18;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]Are we there yet?
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;10;18;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

My bags are always packed!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;3;29;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] Brilliance 3/29/2004

Guest OBAYbee
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by apfra.:
Why am I being attacked for posting a legitimate comment? If anything, it is you OBAYbee that is being rude. What happened to the days when people respected each others opinions, trusted each other, and got along!

APF

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

EXCUSE ME??????????????????????????? I was supporting you APF not attacking you. If you would have read my response carefully you would have seen that the 2nd post was a quote from someone that I took exception to on YOUR behalf.
I have NEVER been attacked this way on these boards until now.
Someone owes someone an apology!!!!

Guest OBAYbee
momof3cruisers, go figure. I actually supported the new poster and the new poster turned on me. Think I am done with this thread. Gosh apf.

We are sailing on Monarch in October (Oct. 18). Same itinerary I did in 92, and come on... it has to be nicer than Viking Serenade. We sailed together on Song of America in 98. We have a Junior Suite, so the cabin should be fine. I am forcing my husband to go on the 4 night itinerary, because 8 cruises later, we have never done a quickie together . [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] We will also net 2 C&A points for this short cruise.

I haven't really cared for RCI's food at all, lately. But at least I don't have to prepare it. It is sort of like banquet food. But I'm picky anyway. We were both amazed on our first Caribbean cruise, how nice the ships look on the East Coast. You actually get used to and expect the older, slightly used ones on the West Coast. I'm sure Monarch will be fine, and we will have a wonderful time. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by pbhunt on 05-18-04 at 11:45 PM.]

I was on the Monarch during Thanksgiving week, and a month later on the Navigator. Although I enjoyed both cruises VERY much, there was no comparison: the Navigator was much nicer, with better service and better ports of call.

With that said, I found the Monarch clean and well maintained. The food was pretty good, and very much the same quality as what we had aboard the Navigator. No, it wasn't 5 star cuisine, but entres ranged from good to excellent.

There was a lot more to do aboard the Navigator, but in four days and three ports, we had a blast aboard the Monarch. So much so, we will be going back in July.

I really appreciate both positive and negative comments; it helps to go in with realistic expectations, and the research on the ports of call is invaluable.

From what I can tell, the Monarch has lots of people from Southern California (nearly ALL the passengers on our cruise last Thanksgiving were from the L.A. area) - a very "Southern California" group to say the least. Those from out of state or even from the north end of state, like me, felt a little out of place at first (and I grew up in Corona Del Mar in Southern California).

The mix of people on the Navigator which departs Miami every week for the Caribbean was far more interesting, but what do you expect? I would imagine those short cruises from Florida will be filled with local people as well.

Just my two cents worth. I for one appreciated the author's comments, even if they are outdated.

Suzi

05 July 2004 Monarch of the Seas
21 November 2004 Carnival Pride
20 February 2005 Mariner of the Seas CC Group Cruise

My first cruise with RCCI was January 2004 on Monarch of the Seas. The ship was in about the shape I expected for an older ship. Our room steward was very nice and our room was done up very nice. I never saw the Concierge. It said that there was Concierge service when I booked the cruise. I was in a Grand Suite.

We were really lucky with our tablemates for dinner. They were from the same city we were in and we had a lot in common. That was the best part of dinner, it certainly wasn't the food The worst food I have had on a cruise. It was just too bland. And everything was seasoned with the same flavoring. No lobster.

The enterntainment was good. Especially liked the dual pianos.

I will have to try another RCCI cruise so I have something better to compaire.

NCL Sun 4/02 - Carnival Elation 6/02 - NCL Norway 8/02
NCL Dawn 6/03 - RCI Monarch 1/04 - NCL Dawn 6/04

OBAYbee, I'm really sorry. I accidentally posted your name! I meant to say ilionite65 as the "rude" one. There are so many posts and you had quoted that person so I was just confused. I'm really sorry. Please do forgive me.

Very well said, Sailfish. I went on Serenade of the Seas two weeks after and there is no comparison. It is like comparing apples and oranges. You just can't do it. It was almost as if they were of different lines. The only thing that was constant was the food--- which constantly varied on both cruises from below average to good.

Maybe I am a "ship critic", which I think I am. I am critical with the Monarch of the Seas mainly because of the varied service we receive (from rude to superb, especially in the dinning room!). I did not get the RCI product I typically find on the other ships, THAT is my main complaint. If it was come other random line, I would not care as much. It is that one of my most favorite cruise line delivered such a poor example of what they really are. You really can't compare the Monarch with the Serenade. There are several main difference between the classes:
1. The interiors of RCI had not evolved into their most mature form which they are in today
2. The Monarch was constructed with less shipbuilding technology (late 1980s)
3. The interior design has some tacky aspects that are outdated (ex: Las Vegas style signs)
4. The hallways, corridors, elevators, and landings are still in poor condition
5. The staff was a notch below what we got on RCI. I have noticed that they often place the Eastern-European staff on the Radiance-class, and they are always superb
6. The "day at sea" on Monarch was really pathetic. We just floated around for a couple of hours
7. The rooms were extremely small, much smaller than on the newer RCI ships
8. The dinning room is not two stories and the atrium is not spectacular like on the newer ships
9. The public areas lacked the [B]cool, elegant, refined, intimate, and sometimes whimsical[/B]décor (ex: the Champagne Bar on the newer ships, the pursers office the aquariums) that is so common on the newer RCI ships
10. Some areas of the ship felt brand new and some felt very old… the renovation was not consistent throughout the ship
9. It just did not feel like a RCI ship!

Again, I stress that some areas were renovated like Boleros and The Sound of Music Theatre. The entertainment was very good. I actually found this cruise quite comparable to the experience that we had on Mariner of the Seas. I was not particularly fond of Mariner of the Seas at all. I do not particularly prefer the Voyager-class (they really LACK class). The food in the dinning room was again poor to barely good. The service was not consistent once again.

If you look in the "Elegance at Sea" book, published by RCI, you will see that there is not one Sov-Class ship in it. Perhaps even RCI does not consider them elegant like the new ones.

I will from now on exclusively sail on the Radiance-class when I cruise with RCI. They are almost like a different line!

Adam

Celebrity Galaxy- 7/98
Celebrity Zenith- 7/99
Celebrity Summit- 8/02
Norwegian Star- 11/02
Norwegian Dawn- 12/02
Celebrity Infinity- 4/03
Crystal Serenity- 8/03
Westerdam- 06/04
Jewel of the Seas 11/04

The World- 12/02
Caronia- 04/04

I agree with sailfish. I appreciate both positive and negative comments about a cruise experience. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and should not be ridiculed and belittled for having one different than anyone else.

Century 9-03 * E. Caribbean
Serenade 9-03 * Canada
Grandeur 6-03*British Isles/Norwegian Fjords
Explorer 12-02 * E.Caribbean
Constellation 5-02 * W. Med
Zenith 12-01 * W. Caribbean
Grandeur 5-01 * W.Med
Grandeur 11-00 * S. Caribbean
Rhapsody 5-00 * Alaska
Monarch 5-99 * S. Caribbean
Noordam 5-96 * Alaska

Adam~

On a side note (I would e-mail you but CC no longer lists that in a public profile), I see that you are going to sail on Westerdam. She is FANTASTIC and you'll have nothing of the experience you had on Monarch of the Seas (I sailed her in October). Feel free to check out the [url="http://www.shipcafe.net/shipcafe/we/we01.htm"]Photo Review[/url] I've just completed of her after visiting her in Venice, Italy.

My Monarch of the Seas photologue can be seen [url="http://shipcafe.net/shipcafe/mn/mn03.htm"]HERE[/url]

You'll see where to find me if you should have any questions regarding Westerdam. She's classy in so many ways.

Steve
[url="http://www.shipcafe.net"]www.shipcafe.net[/url]

okay i feel like i need to chime in again. I know I will get flamed but I don't care.

My issue with apf's review is the constant comparison of the Monarch to the newer ships. You stated yourself apples and oranges. It seems you were expecting a newer ship. The Monarch is 20 years old its not going to have all the bells and whistles that the newer ships have. You complain that the cabins are smaller to the newer ships. You answering your own complaint. The Monarch is an older ship. When the Monarch went into drydock should they have taken away cabins to make others bigger? I know when we go on the Mariner that we will see some differences between the Mariner and the Voyager simple because the Mariner is newer and Royal seems to know how to improve their vessels.

Apf... you seem almost angry that the ship physically did not meet your expectations. It amazes me that people who have sailed both before and after you did not notice the walls, and some of the other really insignificant details that you seemed to focus on.

The one thing that I am concerned about is the service that should be consistent amoung all ships regardless of class. This I will be paying attention too, and agree that the service should not depend on the ship.

<marquee>[B]Joycelyn[/B]</marquee>

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;9;24;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Until we try The Monarch of the Seas

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;1;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Until the Mariner of the Seas

[url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?q=Y&s=927093444&a=tpc&m=8623054967&f=1683059817"]Mariner of the Seas - January 23, 2005 Roll Call...Please Join Us[/url]
Tss Festivale 1984
Carnival Tropical 1993
Voyager of the Seas 2001
Carnival Ecstasy 2002
Vision of the Seas 2002
Radiance of the Seas 2004

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/logos/time98.gif[/img]</center>

it depends on what you are compareing this cruise to.
I did this same cruise on the Viking Seranade in 2000. Now that ship was a true barge..........We had to wear thongs in the shower! Worse then a motel 6.
After that ship, the monarch was a relief. I didnt expect alot because of the fact that its the short mx baja, party boat! They didnt do anything to refurbish the cabins on Monarch excpept change the curtains and bed spreads. I was real disappointed that the bathrooms had not been refurbished.
The Viking Seranade was SOoooo bad. The Monarch serves its purpose for this cruise.

What is truly sad, is the fact that alot of people go on this cruise as there first cruise, and then decide that they dont like to cruise. They dont want to ever go again, based on one of the 3 or 4 day cruises. I am constantly explaining to people that there 4 day cruise is truly not going to be the way it is on a 7 day.

Lets Go!

Royal's Viking Seranade 1/94
Carnival, Holiday 12/95
Carnival, Jubilee 12/96
Royal's, Song of America 11/98
Celebrity Galaxy 9/99
Royal's, Viking Seranade 6/00
Celebrity, Millennium 12/00
Royal's Vision 2/02
Royal's Vision 12/02
Royal's Monarch 6/03
Celebrity Galaxy 9/17/04 !!

joyceyw:

We too have a cruise aboard the Monarch and the Mariner coming up; we'll be on the Monarch in July and on the Mariner in February 2005! How funny! I loved the Navigator last year; if you're an active person, you'll find a ton of outdoor stuff to do. Is your cruise the Western or Eastern? We'll be heading to the eastern this time; our cruise aboard the Navigator was to the western Caribbean. As we are scuba divers, we almost did the western again.

Regarding this post:

One thing I have noticed about service and food quality is that it really varies from ship to ship. For the most part, we have had luck with service personnel, but this is an issue all cruise lines deal with, regardless. Yes, all ships in a cruise line's fleet are [I]supposed[/I] to provide uniform service and quality, but reality will tell you otherwise. It's not a huge deal to me; like most vacations, there will always be some issues and minor disappointments.

And if you cruise enough, you will see how really hit or miss things can be, even on the most upscale of lines. Royal Caribbean's Voyager class of ships suit our needs best. But it's not always practical to go to the Caribbean and sometimes a killer deal comes up on another ship or -heaven forbid - another cruise line!

I absolutely understand where the author is coming from, as I too often catch myself making comparisons. Although I had a different experience aboard the Monarch, I appreciate knowing about the good, the bad and the ugly.

Suzi

05 July 2004 Monarch of the Seas
21 November 2004 Carnival Pride
20 February 2005 Mariner of the Seas CC Group Cruise

Hi Suzi...thanks for not flaming

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>We too have a cruise aboard the Monarch and the Mariner coming up; we'll be on the Monarch in July and on the Mariner in February 2005! How funny! I loved the Navigator last year; if you're an active person, you'll find a ton of outdoor stuff to do. Is your cruise the Western or Eastern? We'll be heading to the eastern this time; our cruise aboard the Navigator was to the western Caribbean. As we are scuba divers, we almost did the western again.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
We're doing the Eastern this time. Family Reunion Cruise. I'm getting more active as I loose weight. We loved the Voyager and found plenty to do on it. I will try the Rock Climbing wall this trip.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>One thing I have noticed about service and food quality is that it really varies from ship to ship. For the most part, we have had luck with service personnel, but this is an issue all cruise lines deal with, regardless. Yes, all ships in a cruise line's fleet are supposed to provide uniform service and quality, but reality will tell you otherwise. It's not a huge deal to me; like most vacations, there will always be some issues and minor disappointments.

And if you cruise enough, you will see how really hit or miss things can be, even on the most upscale of lines. Royal Caribbean's Voyager class of ships suit our needs best. But it's not always practical to go to the Caribbean and sometimes a killer deal comes up on another ship or -heaven forbid - another cruise line!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree thats what I was trying to say. I'm am a little more concerned with the [B]service[/B] being consistent fleet wide versus how old the ship is. I understand the Monarch is an older ship and expect not to have the same amenities as the newer ships. I guess I don't sweat the small stuff. Getting away for a few days is what makes my vacation. And not having to cook, and clean for 3 days. Living in Los Angeles we don't have much choices of cruises leaving here, and the Monarch at times is really cheap. You get what you pay for. I probably would not fly into Los Angeles to do this 3 day on any cruise line. Its just not quite worth the money. Being that this is the one of the few lines that leave out of LA you will get more people that can't afford longer cruises that leave out of othe states.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What is truly sad, is the fact that alot of people go on this cruise as there first cruise, and then decide that they dont like to cruise. They dont want to ever go again, based on one of the 3 or 4 day cruises. I am constantly explaining to people that there 4 day cruise is truly not going to be the way it is on a 7 day.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Couldn't agree with you more. I have had two co-workers that I advised not to go on the Ecstacy for a 3 dayer cause its not the same as a 7 day. The are so turned off by cruising now. I truly believe there is a difference in a 3 day or 7 day and I've been on the ecstacy and vision for the three day. Nice just not like the longer cruises. I think they don't have the same activities on the shorter ones.

<marquee>[B]Joycelyn[/B]</marquee>

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;9;24;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Until we try The Monarch of the Seas

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2005;1;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

[url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?q=Y&s=927093444&a=tpc&m=8623054967&f=1683059817"]Mariner of the Seas - January 23, 2005 Roll Call...Please Join Us[/url]
Tss Festivale 1984
Carnival Tropical 1993
Voyager of the Seas 2001
Carnival Ecstasy 2002
Vision of the Seas 2002
Radiance of the Seas 2004

In response to some of the posts.... A line should have consistency with its fleet. That is the reason RCI needed to retire the Viking Serenade.

I went on Monarch with lower than normal expectations. I know she is an old lady and that she is worn in. However, I was told that the ship WOULD LOOK LIKE BRAND NEW after the renovation. This was certainly not the case. Although the ship did look refurbished, the carpets were stained, the walls were scratched, just general poor maintenance. There is nothing they can do about this but "gut" the ship. In other words, I went with low expectations. Monarch did not even meet those. I did know that my room was going to be tiny. I did not know my steward was going to be an a*s to all of us compared to the Celebrity Cruises like hospitality we had on Serenade of the Seas. And Steve, I might e-mail you soon with some questions. Will I sail on RCI again? MANY MANY MANY TIMES. Will I sail on a Sov.-class ship again? Never!

Adam

Celebrity Galaxy- 7/98
Celebrity Zenith- 7/99
Celebrity Summit- 8/02
Norwegian Star- 11/02
Norwegian Dawn- 12/02
Celebrity Infinity- 4/03
Crystal Serenity- 8/03
Westerdam- 06/04
Jewel of the Seas 11/04

The World- 12/02
Caronia- 04/04

Being on this board almost 4 years I'm starting to see a disturbing pattern. Almost every...no everytime I see a negitive review on a ship the person who posted it gets nailed. People question their motives based on the number of posts. We all have to start somewhere. It seems like it will get to the point that people will only post positive reviews so they won't get flamed.
I personally take every review with a grain of salt and try to look at the larger picture. If I notice someone was unhappy with a cruise I try to find other reviews of the same ship and sailing date to compare that with. Even check other websites. I would ask myself why would Apf (Adam) make things up. I would have to give him the benifit of the doubt until proven other wise...The posters are stating their opinion on their cruise, who are we to challenge that?
Maybe it's just that some people after reading a bad review are worried that they are also going to have a bad cruise.
We really are going to have people stop putting their reviews here for all of us to learn from and enjoy. I hope this makes sense....peace

Explorer Of The Seas 4/01
Navigator Of The Seas 6/14/03
Mariner Of The Seas 7/11/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;7;11;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">
<param name="font" value="lcdb0">
<param name="year" value=2004>
<param name="month" value=7>
<param name="day" value=11>
<param name="hour" value=12>
<param name="minute" value=30>
</applet>

Kevin
Go NY Jets !

Thanks for your review Adam [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I sure wish RCI would bring a newer ship to the West Coast....

###

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;26;17;1;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Navigator of the Seas 6/26/04

<center>

Archived