40lbs in 4 months, anyone else?

gospelle

Hi Cruisin Grandma,

I like the sound of that dress. I am waiting to 2 weeks prior to my cruise to go and get something new. I usually get something I could never wear any place else. Sometimes at Dillards (big dept. store) they have them on sale for $20 or so. Last year I lucked out and went during their 1/2 off sale and bought 3 gorgeous formal gowns for $12 each. I also indulge in styles I would never wear in public at home. It is great fun for me and cheap too as the post-prom season dress sales seem to be end of April so I usually luck out.

I love Sat. as today I am 172!!!! Which means 7 lbs from my goal. Problem is my only form of exercise is coughing and I must be losing because my muscles are deteriorating and I am drinking alot of hot tea.

Michelle

Michelle--What did the Dr. say you have?? Put some lemon and honey in your hot tea! Great remedy for coughing. Take care!

Our Dillard's stores all closed here. I never found $12 gowns there! Looks like I need to plan a shopping trip to Denver! I'm "free" the Month of May! Actually, I think my husband said he also took vacation the 27th of May through June 5th. Maybe I need to plan another cruise!!!

Anyone here going on Horizon 4/15 or 4/23??? Anyone here cruising 5/27-6/5???Maybe I'll join you!

Kay

Hi Kay,

The Dr. said viral bronchitus. Lasts up to 6 weeks. I've had it a week already and it is 5 weeks before my cruise so I should be clear just in time. We are on the May 8th transatlantic NY to Southampton Golden Princess. The fares right now on the transatlantics are in fire sale mode so you can get some great deals. We usually try and book late but had to book earlier this year to firm up our vacation plans so are missing out on the great deals.

Yep, we have pretty amazing prices on fancy dresses. For years I have been getting mine at Dillards for practically nothing. The key is to not be too picky about trying new styles as they will only have a limited selection in each size. My size which ranges from 12-16 is very popular. But I have gotten some gorgeous dresses. Even gotten compliments from strangers on them during the cruise. I think when they get down to just a few sizes of a particular style they clear them out in the $20s. Last year was a fluke in that I went during a half price sale of sale dresses. The regular prices are anywhere from $300 and up so I am always pleased. I usually have to go to 2 or 3 stores though to find them so it is a bit of a project. I haven't tried anything on yet this year so am hoping to be 12 but am guessing I am 14. For some reason it seems like when I weighed this amount before I think I was thinner.

Where are you from?

Cheers!

Michelle

Grandma your dress sounds awesome. I think the machines are like resistance machines but that they are like spring loaded kind of which means with little effort they will probably move. SO the benefit that your getting is the motion range not really the strength part. My brothers gf works with girls that go there and I guess they always brag about how the machine does all the work. Ive never been inside so Im not sure about treadmill or whatever.

My MINIMUM basic workout consist of 40 mins (3 miles a day) every day (one day a week take off) One of the 6 days I do a 80 minute workout(6 miles) and then I do a double up bootcamp 2 other days of the week (5 miles on those 2 days)

So 1 day 6 miles(i usually do a double up that day too so I can hit 7+ miles)

2 days of doubling up for 5 miles

3 days of 3 miles (40 mins)

I also lift light weights twice a week (5 lbs) We do have a treadmill, ab machine and a soloflex type machine that is broken most days. So i mainly use the treadmill and situp machine until the pool opens up.

I got my formal from Davids bridal. Its very pretty but was snug after I swelled up on my last cruise. I tried it on the other day and my mom has to take it in an inch on each side (thats measuring it with me sitting down ) I wanted to make sure it wasnt going to cut off my breathing abiity.Ill try to post a link. The bottom is a black ballroom A-line chiffon skirt floor length and the tops are both black and silver but cut very differently. It looks like a whole dress not 2 pieces.

Michelle, Hope you'll be well for your cruise. We were on the Golden Princess in 2001. It is a beautiful ship! I thought the champagne pouring into the stacked glasses was great. That is the only Princess ship we've sailed on. Have you been on this ship before? You can probably have your travel agent get you a refund credit for the price reductions. We got credit on our upcoming cruise when the prices went down. Never hurts to call and try. Lots of people got refunded money on ours. Some found out about it through cc boards. I guess I could have time to wash, dry, iron and repack for a May 8th cruise. We leave April 14th and return April 30th.

We are from Memphis, Tennessee, but now live in a small city suburb of Memphis called Bartlett.

Take care,

Kay

Maria, Your dress sounds fantastic. I like the two piece ones. I'm very tall, but am short waisted, mostly long legs! Doesn't it make you feel wonderful to have to take it up!!! I have a lavendar formal dress and thin jacket that I bought on sale( $25,I think)at a bridal shop when my daughter was getting her wedding gown. Wish my daughter could have found a wedding gown on sale! Ha! Her gown was beautiful, and she was beautiful in it!

You are doing great with your exercise routine!

Keep up the good work,

Kay

Hi Kay,

We went on the Golden Princess in the Mediteranean for our Honeymoon cruise and I was really impressed with the ship. Last year we were on the Grand Princess for a transatlantic crossing and it was pretty much the same ship as the Golden. We have only been on one other cruise line (Holland America). We are likely to try Celebrity this fall on a transatlantic coming back the reverse direction. It is amazing how you get so comfortable with a particular aspect of a cruise line that you don't really want to try others (at least that is the case for me). Our Princess cruises have been fabulous and we really like the anytime dining aspect that I'm actually kind of afraid to try the others. I really hated traditional dining on Holland America, so much so that we only went twice. I feel like we are offending our tablemates when we do that but it was too much like a work dinner where you were forced to sit there for over 2 hours while they hauled the food out. However I recently talked to another lady who just tried Princess and swore she would never go again. Her problem was that during traditional dining she asked for chicken soup and they did not have it and would not get it. Now that would never occur to me to be upset by something like that much less have it ruin my cruise. And others really love traditional dining as it gives them a chance to get to know others. Back on Holland America I was surprised that it bugged me so much that the staff ate at the buffet. You felt like you were intruding on a private party. The servers flirted with and took alot of time over the other staffers and were basically still involved in their conversations as they plopped the food on your plate. Same thing with finding seats. It was hard with all the staff taking up the tables and looking sullenly at you. I don't have a problem asking to share a table but the other passengers seldom make you feel like you are intruding when you ask to share with them. So Holland wasn't my cup of tea. I've been lurking on the Celebrity boards to get a feel for them and I can tell that there are alot of really loyal Celebrity fans so we will have to see. Which is your favorite cruise line and why?

Oh, and I did try to switch to a balcony cabin to save money. Tried twice. Once through the travel agent, then called the cruise line to get their story on the policy then tried through the travel agent again. It was a no-go as we are in a mini-suite and moving to a balcony would be a cabin cancel and re-book. Since the mini-suites were sold out I suspect they could have let us book the balcony and re-sold our spot but they did not want to handle it that way so we will just have to hope for the best in terms of being assigned a cabin. It hurts my money saving sensibilities to be paying $350 more per person, $700 more in total just to rest my head on a pillow in a bigger room so I was disappointed not to get the downgrade. When we originally booked the difference was less than $100 per person so we thought we would give it a shot. Then the balconies went on fire sale and were $1200 per person so it was a big difference.

Sorry for the long post. I've been home sick so maybe am starting to ramble....

Michelle

Michelle,

A change of cabins is a different booking, and since your category room is sold out, they will not offer you a credit. Only time you get credit is if you notice prices have gone down since you booked yours, and there are still the same category room available.

Our favorite line is Celebrity and we've been on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Holland, Norwegian, Princess and Carnival. I would still go on any cruise ship, although I might enjoy one a little diferently than another in some ways. Just go with an open mind and ready to enjoy your trip. Any cruise is better than ho hum days at home! Actually, I'm really enjoying my babysitting our grandson days at home!

As for the dieting, I picked up the new First mag lastnight. It has yet another diet in it. Lose 10 pounds this week! Eat 3 meals of proteins(25%), carbs(25%), and fruits or/and veggies(50%)and a dab of good fat for your 3 meals. Also, eat two snacks and an after dinner treat. Eat every three hours, and exercise 8 minutes on Tuesday and Thursday. Maybe I should get all my old issues of mags with all the different weight loss ideas, and do one every month for a year. Then, surely I would lose my 40 pounds! HA!!!

I understand the boredom of being sick at home. Hope you soon feel like getting out and enjoying life!

Kay

I too went on the Golden and she was beautiful!!!! Had a great time but my heart is with RCCL. I think the activities are more my style on RCCL

My brothers gf just had her surgery on SUnday...heres her diet for 3 weeks no solid food (Not even mashsed potatoes) she can have sugar free popsicles, Atkins shakes, sugar free jello as long as she lets it moosh around in her mouth before she swallows...no carbs no sugar nothing solid, nothing hot (had an ulcer so no tomato soup) :eek: Shes sooooooooooo hungry poor thing. Said she had like 25 popsicles already. Then after 3 weeks she can have like mashed potatoes and stuff. I told her to buy sugar free chocolate ice cream and put in the blender with the Atkins SHakes so its the consistency of atleast a milkshake or smoothy. Imagine that diet. Id be so miserable noone would be able to get within 10 ft of me.

Maria, Your poor brother's gf. Was her surgery for the ulcer??? Hopefully she'll be feeling much better in a few weeks. Tell her she has people here thinking of her and praying for her.

So, how are you doing?? I'm going to bed. DH has been snoring for a couple of hours! I kept our grandson today, and took a two hour nap when he did. Have to rest to keep up with him. HA!! He was feeling bad today, and sat around "reading" his books, playing with his train and cars, trucks and garage, working puzzles, playing with playdoh, markers, and painting most of the day. Very low key day for him. I hope I don't catch his cold. We leave one week from Thursday. When is your next cruise??? I've been on RCCL 3 times, and enjoyed all--Legend of the Seas once and twice on Grandeur of the Seas.

Kay

Hello all you dieters! I found another diet in a magazine today. It is a one day diet. You follow it every Monday, and don't change your other eating habits. I am a sucker for all those magazines staring at me when I'm in line waiting to check out at Walmart and all the other stores that have them. I got my hair cut today---maybe I lost a pound or two of hair! NOT!!! Trying to get all the last minute purchases done before we cruise again. I think I've finally decided on what I'm taking(15 days and nights is hard to do when you don't want to buy a lot of BIG clothes you'll hopefully never wear again.) I hope I won't gain too much the first week, and not be able to fit into my clothes for the next week. I'll have to see which ones are bigger and save them for week two. Next, I have to get all my DH's clothes ready.

My sister gave me a stomach exercise that her physical therapist gave her. I did them a couple of days ago, and they must work. My stomach muscles are sore. Now, I need a rear end and thigh exercise!!! Everything else is ok.

Has anyone here been to Curacao??? What did you do there??? I think Labadee is a beach port, basically. Those are the only ports for this trip we haven't been to.

Kay

I've been to Curaco. We did a couple shore dives, saw an Eagle Ray, then wandered around shopping. Great deals in the little downtown area.

If you're going to Curaco, you'll likely go to Aruba as well. Yes? If you do, be sure to go snorkling at baby beach. It's not an excursion, you'll need your own mask, snorkle and fins, but it is the best of the best IMHO. It's at the far south of the island, you'll need to rent a jeep. All the cool fish are just at the opening in the atol. If you go through the opening, there is even MORE cool stuff!!

Weigh in tomorrow.

The National Weight Control Registry followed 629 women and 155 men who had maintained a minimum weight loss of 30 pounds for an average of 5.5 years. That research is pretty sobering, showing that even the practice of taking only one "day off" each week significantly decreased the likelihood of folks effectively losing weight and keeping it off.

Gospelle---I'm down 13 this week. We are going to Aruba, also this cruise. We have stayed in a condo there for a week years ago, and did go to snorkel at baby beach. We loved it!! Our children were 15 year old son and 18 year old daughter at the time. They still talk about Baby Beach and the fun we had there. They are now 30 and 32, almost 33. Thanks for the Curacao info.

Michelle----You are doing great!!! Keep it up!

Holy crap you guys chat a lot! :p A whole page since the last weigh in! If only fingers typing burned as much calories as jogging eh? :D

Anyway, Here's the results, ...

Weight lost since Jan 1, 2005

Alpha <gospelle> - 27 lbs

Micdenver - 26 lbs

Mariapd719 - 25 lbs

LESTRELA - 15 lbs

Cruising grandma - 13 lbs

Maria--We fly to Tampa next Thursday, and sail away Friday, the 15th. I can't believe I'm still up, I just noticed what time it is. I'm babysitting in 6 hours! Guess I better go to sleep! Had a two hour nap while grandson slept today.

Your cruise is next month, isn't it??

Goodnight,

Kay

Down 1 more as of 2 days ago...but feel fat today...so hope its still off

26 total

Cruisingrandma - I leave in 21 days. Were flying in a day early. Cant wait my mom took all my clothes in so I didnt really have to buy hardly anything. I bought a few inexpensive t shirts and a pair of capris and black pants with white pinstripes.

Hello everybody

Remember me? I was the one who kept putting my daily menu on this thread...I wasn't getting much of a response so I stopped posting my menu. So hear I am........ December 26th weighed 235lbs....now I am 195lbs!!!! I did it and so can you all!! 40 lbs gone......probably more then 40 lbs of fat now that I have put on some muscle!! If you want to see some before and after pictures go here

Archived