Liberty of the seas - huge disappointment

I too would have been so so diappointed. For us, our upcoming cruise has been a test of our patience for about four years now! We've been planning and planning and this is a huge splurge for us. It is for our honeymoon and anniversary at the same time since we decided to wait a year to be able to do the big trip instead of being on a budget. I do understand the need to keep things safe, and commend RCI for this, but for us this would have greatly impacted our trip as we will be going to the hot tub nightly, and as other posters said, we chose this ship for spedific reasons. It is not just the cruise fare...we will be spending over double the cruise fare when all is said and done. Since I am the planner I am going out of my way to make sure my husband has a perfect and memorable trip. It is a bummer it would be too costly for them to try to reimburse passengers for the inconvienience. They cannot know how certain closures will affect some passengers more than others.

[quote name='2 Tickets to Paradise']Who cares what they told you as far as a reason. You and your family were safe. Somebody on a cruise screams fire, they will have a problem. By giving false information, they were probably trying to keep any kind of reaction from becoming an over reaction.

Because the Hot Tubs and the H2OZone were closed, the risk of further infection or contamination was probably reduced exponentially.

I totally understand about your daughter, but really, in her condition it was better than RC saying oh well turn em back on. What would you be complaing about then?

The outcome is better this way. I think people whine too much.[/QUOTE]

I hope Karma bites you in your backside

If something occurs to benefit my safety and that of my family, no matter the excuse or reason given, I am not going to whine about it. given the recent history of your family member and cancer, I would be thankful that she was not allowed to come into contact with that water.

Now lets say they said nothing and let her go in, she contracts Legionairres and her battle with cancer and now this..! Be thankful for the time you have with her, enjoy every second instead of fixating on something that is over. Call her, tell her you love her, hug her. We are not promised another day. Stop fixating on what excuse they gave you. THEY KEPT YOU SAFE.

I am betting if everything had been different and they left those areas open, you'd probably be filing a lawsuit.

Yes everything was perfect on last weeks cruise. Except the pools were cold and it seemed a little chilly in the solarium in the late afternoon:D:D I would have been disappointed if things hadn't gone the way I expected them to. I've had the experience of being at WDW and finding out that my favourite ride was closed for maintenance. And as far as the drinks at the C&A party went I was only offered one drink at the first party and he captains welcome aboard and then I got 3 at the next one. I don't know what the trick is. But we were late to the first party and early to the next one.

OP I hope your daughter has a speedy recovery. I'll keep her in my prayers.

There are a whole lot of assumptions being made on this issue. First off it is possible there was an outbreak 2 weeks in a row, especially if it somehow was in the water system of the hot tubs/pool.

Secondly, it is very feasible that the it was closed for cleaning then closed for system failure. It is also possible that it took multiple days to repair multiple issues. I am sure everyone on these boards have had a car go into the shop for some minor problem, then the next day there is another problem, then the day after that a new odd noise shows up. It happens.

I am sorry that it happened on your cruise but I agree RCCL probably won't give you anything for it and to try and speculate as too the true cause of the problem is a waste. For all you know everything they told you was 100% accurate. I am an engineer and unforunately complex systems can lead to complex problems, especially if health issues are also a concern

Maybe you can tell me all the inventive ideas you have for amusing children on sea days with the anticipated H20 zone closed.

Maybe if your 38 your old daughter had endured surgery and treatments for cancer and her body ached from the necessary drugs you could understand the importance of hot tubs.

This is our 26th cruise and made us Diamond on Royal Caribbean. We are not novices and were offended at Royal's handling of this situation.

We don't live in New Jersey and it would be only a 2 hour trip home. We could have taken any ship any time and yes - we probably might have said this is not what we contracted for and returned home.

Small bananas to you - big deal to me.

Sorry to hear about your daughters cancer my sister has been fighting the same battle. Better that it was closed then have your daughter contract Legionnaires. Unfortunately chemo and all the drugs tend to weaken the immune system making your daughter a prime

candidate for the illness. Trust me that is not a path you would want to take. I'm sorry your cruise was ruined by the closures hopefully you can plan another celebration cruise when she gets her all clear exam! :)

Sue

I am also sorry that this happened to you. We just got off the 11/15 cruise and all was working well.

I hope your Daughter will respond to her treatment. I am a 19 year Breast Cancer survivor. I was 40 at the time. I went throught chemo and radiation. I understand how your daughter feels. I do agree that if there was a health issue, it is better that they closed them down, because her immune system is weak.

May God Bless you
Irene

[quote name='2 Tickets to Paradise']If something occurs to benefit my safety and that of my family, no matter the excuse or reason given, I am not going to whine about it. given the recent history of your family member and cancer, I would be thankful that she was not allowed to come into contact with that water. [/quote]

I understand the general principle of trying to deal with stuff that breaks down on cruises because it's inevitable and people should try to make the best of it, etc. That's fine.

But, honestly, I think she earned the right to "whine" as you call it, or as I see it, express her disappointment in the cruise. Both because of what her daughter has been through and because while adults are good at dealing with disappointment, it's a lot tougher for kids to be grown-ups about it, and then to deal with disappointed kids without much support. Posts criticizing her point of view only drag out the thread.

If you don't agree, that's fine... all I can say is that two "whines" don't make a right. :)

You are right. Sorry to have been the person to drag this out. I too understand where the person is coming from. I should have let it go, but no matter what anyone suggests or how they empathize with this person, they just are not happy and continue to carry on.

I will not post in here again on this topic, and normally, I wouldn't jump on someone, I just was seeing where this person was going and offered my own opinion. She disagrees, which is her right and I will not deny her that.

[B]To the thread starter, I offer my sincerest apologies[/B]. I hope you'll forgive my outburst, it was not meant to offend, I just thought you were looking at it from a pessimistic view point. I too have lost a loved one and in your situation, I can see where being upset and venting a little is warranted. I was simply trying to say, your daughter is fine and in remission (I think?) I understand about not having the fun zone for kids open, but the pool was still open. I remember being young and getting your hopes crushed or being disappointed when things go wrong. We all have been through it, and we're still here! :) I am sure it is probably not a problem for the little ones anymore. And I bet you told them the same things I just said to you.

You are a grandmother after all! They are lucky to have someone looking out for them such as yourself.

Just remember the important thing in all this. You got to spend another vacation with your daughter! Try not to fixate on the negative, remember the positive. Have a great life and enjoy your next cruise in spite of whatever negatives may come.

Thanks for letting me clarify and apologize.

[quote name='tinaparrotthead']Please understand the perspective of the OP and family!!! I lost my Dad after a 3 year battle to cancer then my mom was diagnosed 4 months later and told she had 4 -6 months to live....she lasted 10 months. A "vacation" for the family was planned last Thanksgiving. We were on the AOS. Our whole family wanted to have a relaxing, vacation, honor my mom and dad, and just relax and reflect together for a week. We were ALL so stressed out, trying to grieve for our loss together and spend our "Thanksgiving" week on a cruise together.....yes we all had certain things that we needed from the cruise! If the most important ones had been un-available to us, we would have been very upset because we had maybe one "nerve" left after fighting this battle with them! The OP and her family were trying to deal with something that is for most of us, un-imaginable. What they got, was far less than they have come to expect from RC and because of "their situation", their perpective was different than what most peoples perspective would have been!!!
For those of you basically telling the OP to suck it up, or giving them all the "business" reasons why their feelings are ridiculous.....remember "Never judge a person till you've walked a mile in their shoes" Be grateful you don't have their situation to deal with and if you can't be sympathetic and least be empathetic.....Cancer affects the whole family, not just the person with the illness.
To the OP, write a letter until you get a valid response. Take the time to do another family vacation even if it means a "stay-cation" but be together in a relaxed environment and enjoy each other! I'm so sorry for your situation and I know that a $100.00 or getting the entire cost of your cruise will not bring back the time you lost with each other dealing with what you believe were lies! My prayers are with you all (really) I know some people say that and its just response but REALLY, MY prayers are with you![/quote]

Excellent post.

To the original poster,
I am so sorry for your daughter's illness and continuing struggle. Cancer affects the entire family. I know, because I had breast cancer in 1998 and lung cancer in 2002.

I think the cruise line should have provided clearer information early on, but businesses don't operate the way that I would like them to do.

A side note: I'm surprised that a doctor would recommend heat therapy for your daughter's joint pain, given her double mastectomy. She is at some risk for lymphedema in her trunk, which can be brought on or aggravated by heat. The joint pain from femara (letrozole) can sometimes be helped by applying ice to the joint. NSAIDs are supposed to help, too.

My good wishes for all of you and I hope that your daughter's reconstruction works out well.
Here's a link to a site that offers short retreats for cancer patients and families. [URL]http://www.harmonyhill.org/retreats/cancerinfo.html[/URL]

[quote name='beastiemom']If I were in OP's shoes, $100.00 would not be okay with me. THE primary reason they booked this cruise was for the H2O zone and the hot tubs. For almost the entire vacation neither was working. The children's program was minimal because of the small amount of children on board. Their vacation was well over $5000.00. I would expect a REFUND, not credit towards a future cruise of at least 20% of my cruise-in this case $1,000.

RCI promised a product. They knew at the time of boarding that they could not provide the product that they advertised (at least-a primary part of what they advertised). They should have advised up front.

Now, before I get flamed, let me be clear on several things. If in fact it was something like Legionarre's, which is serious, they can't be faulted for taking appropriate steps for controlling the outbreak. However, they can be held responsible for their response to the problem. First, they should have been notified immediately upon check-in that there was a problem. They clearly had to have known they weren't going to open the pools because they were roped off as soon as they boarded and there had been a problem with the prior cruise. I think the OP is entitled to a detailed explanation and honest explanation as to what happened once she inquired. There were mulitiple stories received. Whoever is in charge of the pools should have notified Guest Relations, etc. what the true problem was, what was being done to fix the problem and the lenght expected (which could have been, we don't know-BUT SAY THAT). Moreover, her party was affected by both issues, the hot tubs and the H2O zone. If it was just my husband and I traveling without our kids, I don't think I should be compensated as much as if I was traveling with kids, as the H2O zone is primarily for, and marketed in all their literature, towards kids.

And for those who have attempted to downplay their disappointment with reminders as to how fortunate she is to have her daughter, those are two completely separate issues. Just because one has suffered a stressful and life-changing illness, does not mean one has to accept any bad service because they should be grateful to be alive. Really??[/quote]

I do see everyone's point...and I agree that RCCL should have done a better job in notifying their clientele for that sailing about the issues with the H20 Zone and the hot tubs. Maybe I was low-balling at $100. After reading your post, I agree that $100 is not enough and would not be considered fair for their disappointment. I don't agree with a complete refund, but maybe $2000 credit for another cruise could be considered fair. There were services offered during their week, so something should be paid. Maybe when they write they should request 50% or something of that matter.

[quote name='beastiemom']If I were in OP's shoes, $100.00 would not be okay with me. THE primary reason they booked this cruise was for the H2O zone and the hot tubs. For almost the entire vacation neither was working. The children's program was minimal because of the small amount of children on board. Their vacation was well over $5000.00. I would expect a REFUND, not credit towards a future cruise of at least 20% of my cruise-in this case $1,000.

RCI promised a product. They knew at the time of boarding that they could not provide the product that they advertised (at least-a primary part of what they advertised). They should have advised up front.

Now, before I get flamed, let me be clear on several things. If in fact it was something like Legionarre's, which is serious, they can't be faulted for taking appropriate steps for controlling the outbreak. However, they can be held responsible for their response to the problem. First, they should have been notified immediately upon check-in that there was a problem. They clearly had to have known they weren't going to open the pools because they were roped off as soon as they boarded and there had been a problem with the prior cruise. I think the OP is entitled to a detailed explanation and honest explanation as to what happened once she inquired. There were mulitiple stories received. Whoever is in charge of the pools should have notified Guest Relations, etc. what the true problem was, what was being done to fix the problem and the lenght expected (which could have been, we don't know-BUT SAY THAT). Moreover, her party was affected by both issues, the hot tubs and the H2O zone. If it was just my husband and I traveling without our kids, I don't think I should be compensated as much as if I was traveling with kids, as the H2O zone is primarily for, and marketed in all their literature, towards kids.

[COLOR="Red"]And for those who have attempted to downplay their disappointment with reminders as to how fortunate she is to have her daughter, those are two completely separate issues. Just because one has suffered a stressful and life-changing illness, does not mean one has to accept any bad service because they should be grateful to be alive. Really[/COLOR]??[/QUOTE]

But you know how it is around here. If one does not preference a negative remark about a cruise without first listing 10 positives they get jumped all over. It makes no difference that one's purpose was to discuss one particular aspect or subject. It is always the same stuff.... but isn't there anything that you liked about your cruise? The economy stinks so just be happy that you can afford to cruise. People are fighting in Iraq and you are worried about such a stupid thing. It goes on and on.

Another quick observation....

If RCCL would have said that the H2O Zone and the hot tubs were not used because of Legionnaires....what do you think many would have done with the pools, the food, the general areas....it could cause more of a raucous than necessary...however, these clients deserve some form of compensation.

OP-I am sorry that your daughter has had to fight this terrible disease and wish her a long and healthy life. I am also sorry that you felt that RCI failed you on your vacation.

I understand that the use of the hot tubs and H2O zone were important. However, to put things in perspective, exactly how much time were you planning to spend using these venues? I don't know how many ports you had but I would have assumed that you would get off the ship at each port and sightsee/explore/do an excursion. So lets say that day 1 (embarkation day) you really don't have time to get to the pool since you are too busy checking everything out. If there were 4 ports, then days 3-6 were busy. That leaves day 2 and 7, the sea days. Were you planning to spend the ENTIRE day in the hot tub or at the H2O zone? I am trying to get an idea of how much of your vacation time was allocated to these activities.

Did you say how old your grandchild was? I don't recall and couldn't seem to find it anywhere. What did kids do on other ships without H2O zones? We always seemed to manage with our DD, who started cruising at age 5.

Again I am sorry that you felt your vacation was "ruined" but as others have said, better to have your daughter well than coming down with an infection, or worse, both your daughter and grandchild sick. I do not feel that RCI owes you anything, but they have given you something as a good will gesture. Take it and move on.

We were on the 11/1 Liberty cruise .... Very dissappointing to see 2 "key features" of Liberty...(H2O & hot tubs) closed ....

Sure we should claim for compensation ...RCI has all our mails and adresses and did not offer any compensation, voucher, coupon, ....

next time we could find all pools closed or the restaurant closed and we should just say "thank you" ?

bad marketing and PR .... :mad: This thread will not stop easily ....

grammyandpoppy -- Unfortunately, any time anyone posts anything less than positive about their cruise, there are going to be the people who are going to jump all over you, i.e. G'ma. I learned early on to ONLY post the good stuff, which really does no one any good. It's hard to be objective when there will always be people who are going to pick apart your post AND your review of the cruise. As soon as I read the title of this thread, I was thinking, "I wonder how many posts it'll take before the OP gets attacked?" Sad.

Another person already said it, but unless we've walked in your shoes, we can't possibly know how you this situation would feel and how we'd react. It's so easy for us to say what we'd do, but unless we're "in it", we really don't know.

I truly hope your son-in-law is able to garner you a partial refund or a sizable OBC for your next cruise.

Hello, Just to add another thought...for all the people who think there should be compensation for them...they were not the only passengers on the ship. So, all 4,000 people would have to be compensated the exact same amount, right? When I travel, I know that things can and will go wrong and I make the best of every situation that I am in...Just my opinion

[quote name='beastiemom']And for those who have attempted to downplay their disappointment with reminders as to how fortunate she is to have her daughter, those are two completely separate issues. Just because one has suffered a stressful and life-changing illness, does not mean one has to accept any bad service because they should be grateful to be alive. Really??[/quote]

[SIZE=3]That's true. But it works both ways. Just because one has suffered a stressful and life-changing illness does not mean one should get special considerations when "stuff happens."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Kathy[/SIZE]

[quote name='maureencruiser']Hello, Just to add another thought...for all the people who think there should be compensation for them...they were not the only passengers on the ship. So, all 4,000 people would have to be compensated the exact same amount, right? When I travel, I know that things can and will go wrong and I make the best of every situation that I am in...Just my opinion[/quote]
[SIZE=3]Exactly the point I made above, Maureen. You can't always be compensated for things that go wrong.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Kathy[/SIZE]

[quote name='TravlGrl']grammyandpoppy -- Unfortunately, any time anyone posts anything less than positive about their cruise, [COLOR=teal][B]there are going to be the people who are going to jump all over you, i.e[/B].[/COLOR][B] [COLOR=teal]G'ma[/COLOR][/B]..>>SNIP<<.......
[/quote]

G'ma is hardly an RCI supporter, pops over here from the Carnival boards to bash RCI and the Oasis constantly. Also is a retired tour professional so I give her some respect on that issue.

Archived