Liberty of the seas - huge disappointment

[quote name='grammyandpoppy']Something got lost in translation. On the 6th night of our cruise, we were told the REAL REASON all the hot tubs and H20 zone were closed was equipment - that they had to get a part from Finland.[/quote]

Perhaps they had to get filters from Finland or some other piece of equipment for each hot tub to counter a health problem?

Since most of the hot tubs are individual devices, it's hard to see how one piece breaking down [I]mechanically [/I]would lead to all of them being closed.

[quote name='02143']Perhaps they had to get filters from Finland or some other piece of equipment for each hot tub to counter a health problem?

Since most of the hot tubs are individual devices, it's hard to see how one piece breaking down [I]mechanically [/I]would lead to all of them being closed.[/QUOTE]

According to our source, it was a part that was needed to control the entire system. I know nothing about plumbing and electronics or whatever on a ship. Just what I was told.

[quote name='grammyandpoppy']According to our source, it was a part that was needed to control the entire system. I know nothing about plumbing and electronics or whatever on a ship. Just what I was told.[/quote]

On what basis can we say with certainty that that is the "real" explanation?

Don't get me wrong, I have reason to hope you're right; disease is frightening, and I'm sailing on 11/29 and trust a mechanical problem can be fixed by then while an ongoing medical issue has no certain resolution. However, it's hard to judge competing claims here against the weight of what the cruise line told everyone in a letter and what stands to reason about a mechanical problem affecting so many individual pieces.

[SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]This sounds like a contamination,which would force them to shut down clean etc etc,If you run into that again,You could go to thermal suites,for sauna,hot tub,yes i have cruised after major back surgeries,and it can get really bad,so understand wanting hot tub,Or you could get mini suite,so have a tub to use,not as good as hot tub with jets,but it is an alternative,you will have a better cruise next time,it is rare to have all hot tubs down;):rolleyes:[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='grammyandpoppy']I thought it was idiotic and senseless also and thus my reply to G'Ma[/quote]
Maybe, but she has a point, it is one small aspect of a cruise. And would you have risked your or your FAMILY'S HEALTH by using these things? At our timeshare hot tubs were closed on year due to a reason too long to explain. My vacation was not ruined. I was disappointed, but found other things to do.

[quote name='abridalmaven']Maybe, but she has a point, it is one small aspect of a cruise. And would you have risked your or your FAMILY'S HEALTH by using these things? At our timeshare hot tubs were closed on year due to a reason too long to explain. My vacation was not ruined. I was disappointed, but found other things to do.[/QUOTE]

Of course I would not risk my family's health but what you fail to understand is that the last thing we were told had to do with equipment failure. My original point was that the H20 zone was closed and no additional activities were offered for children - especially on sea days. You are an adult - he is a small child.

[quote name='labadooze']I would use your time writing to RCL rather than discussing here. I would be shocked if they didn't give you some sort of an OBC.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your response and yes - my son-in-law has been trying to contact RCL. When I originally posted I had hoped to relate our experience without being attacked or told to suck it up. We have sailed RCL 6 times in the last 3 years and this cruise made us Diamond. It was a huge disappointment for us. I am not going to continue to spend my time justifying why we were disappointed. Its just how we felt - so much for empathy and understanding from some online posters.

Well of course we can empathize and understand your disappointment. I just off the Mariner last October and due to Hurricane Patrick's very high winds and rain we literally could not go out on deck on Tuesday and it rained all day in Puerto Vallarta on Wednesday. Yes, it was disappointing. Things happen that are uncontrollable. The captain did everything possible to go around the hurricane but we still had bad weather and high winds....it was awful. I just went up the Viking Crown Lounge and chatted with people or just enjoyed other inside activities. I tried to make lemonade out of lemons. The weather did get better and the rest of cruise was nice; however, I was really looking forward to going to the beach in PV. Anyway...it really doesn't matter why the Hzo zone and spa were close, but that they were closed for some undisclosed or varied reasons. This is really a rare occurrence like Hurricanes. We just have to accept it move on and start planning for our next cruise. Just write a nice letter to RCCL was see what they could do for your inconvenient. Good luck!

#1 May your duaghter join the growing throng of women who have beat this horror.
#2 I sense a lack of communication onboard.
#3 To assign an evil intent on the part of the Ship's crew is a stretch.
#4 Life has no guarantees... From big things to small things, everyone
wants compensation for everything.

[quote name='MMCS Cruiser']
Are you trying to say I have more the one screen name?
[/quote]

If I'm not mistaken, she was referring to someone else. There was another member that had a name similar to yours ("MMSC is a Navy term"...or something like that). They keep getting put in the penalty box and reappearing with different names.

[quote name='sandytoes03']Yes, but, the OP was told several different things, and given various stories as to why the facilities were closed. That was part of her frustration.[/quote]

This seems to be a reoccurring problem with RCI, especially in their Customer Service area. You can ask the same question to 5 different people and get 5 different answers. You usually have to resort to your own investigative skills and deductive reasoning to find the truth.

In this case, with all the hot tubs and H20 Zone being closed, I find it hard to believe it was mechanical failure. What sort of mechanical failure would effect all those water ammenities, and not effect the pools? I would have to agree that is was likely the Legionnairres problem. This would certainly be cause for a complete closure of all the warm water venues.

To the OP, I'm sorry this happened. Regardless of the reasoning, it still sucks to have things closed, especially things you were looking forward to using. For whatever reason, you were still deprived ammenities you were reasonably expecting. A couple others have suggested writing a letter and gave suggestions on how to word it. That seems like good advise. Unfortunately, it may only result in a discount off a future RCI cruise. If you are turned off to this cruise line, that may do you no good. Whatever you decide, enjoy your future travels.

OP said: "What was interesting was that the regular pools were open." I think that is because regular pools use sea/salt water. I think ships can drain and refill the pools in 30 minutes or so. I would think that (1) they drained and refilled the pools several times, and (2) salt water tends to kill bateria (which is why doctors want us to gargle with it when we have a sore throat).

The hot tubs use fresh water. I don't think they are drained and refilled daily like the pools are.

Question: Does the H2O Zone use salt water or fresh water?

I do feel for you, and I hope RCCL does something to compenstate you (and others), but don't hold your breath. The same thing happens when a port is missed -- usually no compensation. Heck, the last time we missed a port, we were not even refunded those port charges. What's up with that?

[quote name='Aquahound']

In this case, with all the hot tubs and H20 Zone being closed, I find it hard to believe it was mechanical failure. What sort of mechanical failure would effect all those water ammenities, and not effect the pools? I would have to agree that is was likely the Legionnairres problem. This would certainly be cause for a complete closure of all the warm water venues.
[/quote]

The hot tubs are typically heated. The pools are not (at least in the Caribbean).

If the hot tubs are heated, then the water is usually recirculated, and chlorinated or halogenated. The pools could use pass through filling at sea. The water is pumped in then out and replaced with new water. It would probably be filtered, but might not be chlorinated. A number of mechanical failures could effect some, all, or none of the systems in any combination.

Legionairres Disease is a "moist air" problem. If this was the problem, Air conditioning, plumbing to the bathrooms, and plumbing to the cabins should have all been concerns.

Here is a link to the CDC Vessel Sanitation Program that covers a variety of topics. [URL]http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/operationsmanual/OPSManual2005.pdf[/URL] Happy Reading.
[URL="http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/training/videos/presentations/equip.pdf"]
[/URL]

edit here is a little shorter PDF on just pools and spas. [URL="http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/training/videos/presentations/swim.pdf"]http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/training/videos/presentations/swim.pdf[/URL]

[quote name='abridalmaven']Maybe, but she has a point, it is one small aspect of a cruise. And would you have risked your or your FAMILY'S HEALTH by using these things? At our timeshare hot tubs were closed on year due to a reason too long to explain. My vacation was not ruined. I was disappointed, but found other things to do.[/quote]
How high on your priority list (health-wise) were those hot tubs? Someone in pain doesn't really have a lot of options on "finding something else to do" if therapeutic relaxation was the real need. This wasn't about killing time.

[quote name='Jimnbigd']OP said: "What was interesting was that the regular pools were open." I think that is because regular pools use sea/salt water. I think ships can drain and refill the pools in 30 minutes or so. I would think that (1) they drained and refilled the pools several times, and (2) salt water tends to kill bateria (which is why doctors want us to gargle with it when we have a sore throat).

The hot tubs use fresh water. I don't think they are drained and refilled daily like the pools are.

Question: Does the H2O Zone use salt water or fresh water?

I do feel for you, and I hope RCCL does something to compenstate you (and others), but don't hold your breath. The same thing happens when a port is missed -- usually no compensation. Heck, the last time we missed a port, we were not even refunded those port charges. What's up with that?[/quote]

I thought the pools on the Freedom class ship were fresh water??? If not, my kids are going to be dissapointed.

Maggie

Who cares what they told you as far as a reason. You and your family were safe. Somebody on a cruise screams fire, they will have a problem. By giving false information, they were probably trying to keep any kind of reaction from becoming an over reaction.

Because the Hot Tubs and the H2OZone were closed, the risk of further infection or contamination was probably reduced exponentially.

I totally understand about your daughter, but really, in her condition it was better than RC saying oh well turn em back on. What would you be complaing about then?

The outcome is better this way. I think people whine too much.

[quote name='RetireeWannabee']How high on your priority list (health-wise) were those hot tubs? Someone in pain doesn't really have a lot of options on "finding something else to do" if therapeutic relaxation was the real need. This wasn't about killing time.[/QUOTE]

A mass-marketed cruise ship which promotes a high activity level such as RCCL is the last place I would consider for therapeutic relaxation. The hot tubs on these ships are meant for recreation which is why they are placed in the areas with the most activity. Considering how many times I see people drinking alcoholic beverages in them or see kids jumping into them makes them hardly a good choice for treating any serious condition. And more often then not, they are usually full and can be difficult to find space.

Please understand the perspective of the OP and family!!! I lost my Dad after a 3 year battle to cancer then my mom was diagnosed 4 months later and told she had 4 -6 months to live....she lasted 10 months. A "vacation" for the family was planned last Thanksgiving. We were on the AOS. Our whole family wanted to have a relaxing, vacation, honor my mom and dad, and just relax and reflect together for a week. We were ALL so stressed out, trying to grieve for our loss together and spend our "Thanksgiving" week on a cruise together.....yes we all had certain things that we needed from the cruise! If the most important ones had been un-available to us, we would have been very upset because we had maybe one "nerve" left after fighting this battle with them! The OP and her family were trying to deal with something that is for most of us, un-imaginable. What they got, was far less than they have come to expect from RC and because of "their situation", their perpective was different than what most peoples perspective would have been!!!
For those of you basically telling the OP to suck it up, or giving them all the "business" reasons why their feelings are ridiculous.....remember "Never judge a person till you've walked a mile in their shoes" Be grateful you don't have their situation to deal with and if you can't be sympathetic and least be empathetic.....Cancer affects the whole family, not just the person with the illness.
To the OP, write a letter until you get a valid response. Take the time to do another family vacation even if it means a "stay-cation" but be together in a relaxed environment and enjoy each other! I'm so sorry for your situation and I know that a $100.00 or getting the entire cost of your cruise will not bring back the time you lost with each other dealing with what you believe were lies! My prayers are with you all (really) I know some people say that and its just response but REALLY, MY prayers are with you!

[quote name='grammyandpoppy']Our family booked the 11/8 sailing of the Liberty largely for the H2O Zone and hot tubs extending over the side of the ship. This has been a rough year as my 37 year old daughter was diagnosed with breast cancer - had radiation, chemo, a double masectomy and is taking Femara which does causes joint pain. This was to be a cruise for relaxation for this family. Her son was so looking forward to the H2O Zone. Are you ready for this - both the H2O and the hot tubs were closed 6 days out of 7. Yes - you read that right. We learned that the H2O zone had also been closed for the entire week on the 11/1 sailing.
This cruise started off horrible as we were told there had been two cases of Legionnaire's disease on the 11/1 sailing and that Customs was also checking the entire ship and we did not get to board until 2:30 pm. We were given varying answers in regard to why things were closed which ranged from - Legionnaire's, not enough children, contamination of the zone and hot tubs, etc. etc. Only on the next to last night of the cruise did we learn the truth - equipment failure. Royal Caribbean knew this when it boarded the 4000 passengers. No additional activities were offered for the children which normally would have used the Zone. If you wanted to use the hot tubs - you were SOOL - go soak in the cold pool. This was not our first cruise on RC. However - this may be our last. If RC had been honest and said it was the equipment we would not have wasted our time going to guest relations every day to inquire when things would open. I am starting to believe that customer satisfaction is second to revenue for Royal Caribbean.[/QUOTE]

Liberty seems to be plagued with "plagues"... We were on her third sailing ever which we call "The Clorox Cruise." A noro outbreak the week before caused the whole ship to go into decon mode. Everything was washed down with bleach- the metal surfaces were all pitted and people were ruining suits, tuxes, and dresses when they leaned against anything. It was a horrible cruise.

We wrote a strongly worded letter to RC when we got home (in addition to daily complaining aboard) and were were fairly compensated by the line.

You can't just bitch about stuff. You have to make a business case, show actual damages, and suggest a remedy that would be acceptable to both you and RC. If you just say, "That was a horrible cruise and we're never sailing with you again-give us our money back" there's no incentive for RC to do so.

We tend to go on the smaller ships now, just because the big ones have more people and the likelihood of some of them being ill is higher. Actual percentages are probably equal but with 4000 folks vs. 750 well you can do the math...

Sorry you had a bad time-hope things work out for everyone

[quote name='Aquahound']If I'm not mistaken, she was referring to someone else. There was another member that had a name similar to yours ("MMSC is a Navy term"...or something like that). They keep getting put in the penalty box and reappearing with different names.
[/quote]

Nope. I had it right. He even had a conversation with himself on this thread:

[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1083695[/url]

[quote name='cruise pup']A mass-marketed cruise ship which promotes a high activity level such as RCCL is the last place I would consider for therapeutic relaxation. The hot tubs on these ships are meant for recreation which is why they are placed in the areas with the most activity. Considering how many times I see people drinking alcoholic beverages in them or see kids jumping into them makes them hardly a good choice for treating any serious condition. And more often then not, they are usually full and can be difficult to find space.[/quote]
While I agree with you, the hot tubs and splash zone were the major amenities that the OP+family planned to enjoy. I understand their disappointment, and frustration with receiving various "answers" to their consistent querying.

Any particular element of a cruise ship can be in disrepair. They drew the short straw. I just happen to feel some compassion for them.

Archived