Zip Line accident on our cruise last week in St Kitts. Just a heads up.

fig414

Oh crap. I forgot about about that 2 cars derailed on the St Kitts railroad excursion. They had to squish 2 cars of people into the original 5 cars on the ride back. I think this may be turning into a questionable St Kitts problem. Maybe it's just a coincidence. This great cruise could have been disastrous with all the stuff happening.

I have been waiting to hear about this one. On our cruise last month one of our stops was St Kitts. I had originally considered booking the railroad excursion but stopped after seeing pics of what looked to be an elevated rail road. All I could think of was what if something happened to the car and we had to actually get out and walk on those tracks suspended in the air. Someone on our roll call later told me most of the track was right on the ground.

Op it's ironic when something tragic or something bad happens on a cruise everyone is all over it wanting details etc but when you actually post something giving people a heads up they turn all defensive and snarky!

They were both Carnival excursions and as far as I know no one was hurt on the scenic railroad derailment. 3 of the 5 cars arrived back safely. Hopefully Carnival will take a look at these 2 incidents.

• 2 years later...
Wow, how about sympathy instead of useless comments? I really doubt that most of you saying "life is risky" and "build a box" etc would feel that way if it happened to you. I've always questioned the safety of zip lining, especially in some locations where safety rules aren't anywhere near what they are in the US. There are some things that are just more risky than others. Yes, there is risk in everything you do, but there is also relativity and some things are just more dangerous that others. Sarcastic answers come across as rude, condescending and are totally unnecessary. OP posted this because it happened close to home. Everyone has to make their own personal decision and it's not for others to act superior because of their own personal decisions.

Thank you BND, my sentiments exactly. I don't understand why people have to be so rude and thoughtless. I guess because they can be heard and not seen. I just don't understand why there is so much negativity and sarcasm to peoples comments. Come on people keep this board a pleasant place for everyone to feel free to make comments without being subjected to rude, sarcastic remarks. Thank you.

I enjoy adventures while on vacation. Ocean kayaking, rock climbing, hiking in the jungle, tubing, whitewater rafting, mountain biking, ziplines and rope courses, and so on. I expect the worst, try like crazy to be as safe as possible.

But accidents happen.

The thing is, the worst case scenario doesn't seem to have happened in this accident (falling to his death) because the backup equipment worked. Life goes on...

Gotta wonder why the didn't send a tow line down to him , the injury was must likely from his effort to clear the line and get back on solid ground.

If the staff couldn't or didn't think of that basic recovery method -/ it's not safe.

It may be solidly anchored, but that doesn't help in a situation like this . And such a simple effort to quickly address this problem was overlooked.

(FYI my daughter who was 10 stopped midway in a zip line trip in Costa Rica/- the lead staff member did a controlled descent to her, connected a tie line and a staff member on the other side winched them in -- took less than 5 minutes cause they were prepared.)

... and this thread was brought back from 2009 for what reason?

Tom

Because skeeter21 couldn't find anyone in this decade to chastise?

:D

Thank you BND, my sentiments exactly. I don't understand why people have to be so rude and thoughtless. I guess because they can be heard and not seen. I just don't understand why there is so much negativity and sarcasm to peoples comments. Come on people keep this board a pleasant place for everyone to feel free to make comments without being subjected to rude, sarcastic remarks. Thank you.

Speak for yourself. I have had my share of incidents while on vacation. I banged my head open on a rock while white water rafting. I cut my foot BAD while in the water in Cozumel. I broke my leg while water skiing. I broke my arm while running from a cow and going over a cliff. I also had a serious car crash on my way to the cruise port in New Orleans. Still made the cruise but I could hardly stand up by the second day. Hasn't stopped me because if my time is up, I would far rather go doing something I like than laying in a nursing home day after day, week after week wishing I had enjoyed my life while I was able.

Zip line broke, guy got injured, Unfortunate, but if I decide to zip line, I will. I just happen to be afraid of heights so it is not for me. One time was enough.

Sounds like we need to team up. We would probably land up on America's Funniest Videos.

O I have seen that this Sky Safari has canceled their tours. Good riddance.

Just a little harsh I think. Do you know how many accidents this company has had in the past? What is their safety record? Accidents happen in every part of life. Should a person have their license taken away when they have a car accident or close their garage if an accident occurs while they're in there?

You cannot guarantee anything 100%.

You people are serious?

There are at least few ski lift chairs and/or people that fall off, every year.

Amusement park rides that stop at the most inappropriate times and people hanging upside down for hours before being rescued.

I almost died doing a glacier climb in New Zealand.

Few get hurt doing bungee jumps.

I jump out of a perfectly good plane about once every 2-3 months, solo, free fall. Many died doing just that.

I would do all of the above in a NY minute if and when given a chance.

Life is what you make of it. You want to be sheltered, go for it. Some of us want to enjoy it to the fullest.

I understand the elderly not wanting to do something like that, but for the rest of us, I say GO.

btw, I'm no spring chicken myself, early 50s.

Again, this post is from 2009!!!

Maybe this incident led to the increase of safety precautions stated on their web site.

I saw reviews posted from July of 2012 so I do not think this company was shut down.

We ziplined in Mexico and Roatan. Probably should have been scared in Mexico. They gave us a stick for our brake. But it was fun!!

I know some parents who let their kid (about 6) ride in motocross - he has for a couple of years, and already has a broken arm to show for it. :rolleyes: Leave it up to "good" parents... stupid is as stupid does!

Tom

This is just an asinine response from somebody who obviously doesn't understand that the majority of sports injuries come from stick and ball sports, not motocross.

People DIE playing football. Concussions in soccer. Way worse than a broken arm.

This is just an asinine response from somebody who obviously doesn't understand that the majority of sports injuries come from stick and ball sports, not motocross.

People DIE playing football. Concussions in soccer. Way worse than a broken arm.

Never played contact sports... neither did our sons.

BTW -- more injuries likely come from things OTHER THAN motocross, simply because the number of participants is FAR greater.

BTW - BTW -- the person I referenced BACK IN 2009 has sustained TWO additional broken bones (ALMOST the neck) since then... just sayin'

;)

Tom

Interesting old thread ...... I don't think it would have made a difference to me to read it before my last cruise, one of my bucket list items was to zip through a rainforest canopy. Jan. '11 I fulfilled that dream in Costa Rica on CCL sponsored Original Canopy Tour. It was beyond what I could have hoped for and one of the most fun days in my life. I felt reasonably safe..... well until we came up to a long span that was across a canyon and much more in the open..... but the beauty was beyond whatever the small risk was. If I was going down, I was going down happy.

Life is a risk every day, I choose to live each day as fully as possible in as good a way as possible.

From 2009...maybe the guy was hanging there all this time and just got saved.

We were on the Splendor in June and a lady fell walking down the stairs. Cut on the leg.

The ship cancelled all walking for the rest of the cruise. I stayed on a bar stool and never got hurt.

Seriously, you can get hurt doing anything...even at Disneyland.

After some thought, I will give you this: I was admittedly a bit harsh on the parents in my comment. I would probably not use those same words today.

Tom

Archived