How much do you typically tip the luggage people at the port?

stephic411

When I went on my cruise last year on the Pride , even though I was by myself, I gave one porter $10.00 when he unloaded the cab because one bag was heavy, (it carried medical things that I would need), but when I got off the ship I tipped the 2nd porter $30.00 because he was willing to walk all the way out to the Amtrak bus stop pushing my luggage on one of the carts. I just thought about how much he could have made by not walking that distance with me, so I hope I was able to at least come close to what he would have received in tips if he had not walked out there with me. If anyone knows the Long Beach Port, the Amtrak Bus stop is out near where you buy tickets to go the Santa Catalina Island or pay for overnight parking. It is really a good distance from the dome. I feel that when they go an extra mile for me, I will tip them well because they have earned it.
AAAAAWWWWEEEE

Your so nice.

Guest TropicOne
From Carnival FAQs:

"Please note that Carnival assumes no responsibility for carry-on luggage. Alternatively, curbside porters are available at the pier to take luggage to the vessel for delivery to your stateroom by shipboard personnel. Customary tip is $1 per bag."

Outdated info. Someone who makes $40 hr straight time does not need or require a tip.Welcome to the real world. Also, some ports have signs stating it is not required or neccessary.Your luggage will make it just fine to your stateroom without tipping.

I know that some will disagree but I also do not tip the porters at the curb pre-cruise. I am quite capable of putting our bags in the bin that will be transported onto the ship. I also have a deep resentment of unionized dockworkers, who are making well above average wages, having their hands out for a tip. These dockworkers are hired (forced by union contract) by the cruiselines to assist the passengers. Why are we paying them twice? I also doubt that any of these tips are declared as wages and therefore go untaxed. Real service employees know about having to declare tips as wages. If these dockworkers were in fact service employees (working for tips), I would tip them well. However, since they already receive hourly compensation and benefits well above average, I decline to. But that's just me. Tip 'em if you wanna but don't feel obligated to.

It really irkes me when they have their hands out. I was pleased when we just sailed out of Miami 10/31 that didn't happen. When they do have their hands out I'll time because there is usually a strong hint that if you don't tip you may not see your luggage again.

Outdated info. Someone who makes $40 hr straight time does not need or require a tip.Welcome to the real world. Also, some ports have signs stating it is not required or neccessary.Your luggage will make it just fine to your stateroom without tipping.

No that isn't outdated information. I leave on Sunday on the Legend and this was in my cruise document information that I just printed!

I like to know what is expected too so will plan on the buck per bag.

"Please note that Carnival assumes no responsibility for carry-on luggage. Alternatively, curbside porters are available at the pier to take luggage to the vessel for delivery to your stateroom by shipboard personnel. Customary tip is $1 per bag." "

If it is true that the porters are union workers making $40 an hour, they are making more than I do, I'll put my bags on the cart and the porters can tip me.

In LA (Long Beach) its considerably higher than that, especially when you add in the benefits. Want to join the union? Well, unless you are the son, grandson or nephew of one that is already a member, forget it. :(

I usually tip $2 a bag, unless I have only one then I tip $3. Its depends a lot on the attitude of the bag handler. Some are very upbeat and are nice enough to make change for you. I'm sure the amount has a lot to do with where you come from. So Cal is just known as a high tip part of the country, so these amounts don't seem outrageous at all to most of us. :rolleyes:

I never understood why I should have to tip these guys. I spent a good 5 years after high school doing construction in the heat/cold and then late hours in a warehouse before I went back to school. I don't consider putting a bag on a cart hard work. Boring yes, but not hard. Maybe if you tell me a joke I'll tip you?

The porter simply takes the bag out of your car, puts in on a cart, and rolls it to the bins. The rest of the hard work is done by forklifts. The carnival workers have to sort through them, put them on carts, and then bring them to your rooms. Why should the first guy to get his hands on my bag be tipped while the rest are not?

With that being said, $1 a bag, no more.

The porter simply takes the bag out of your car, puts in on a cart, and rolls it to the bins. The rest of the hard work is done by forklifts. The carnival workers have to sort through them, put them on carts, and then bring them to your rooms. Why should the first guy to get his hands on my bag be tipped while the rest are not?

With that being said, $1 a bag, no more.

Who do you think operates the forklifts:confused:

If it is true that the porters are union workers making $40 an hour, they are making more than I do, I'll put my bags on the cart and the porters can tip me.

LOL.. I am sure it is that and if not more.. joys of working for a union.. but hey how bout you give that a try and let us know where your luggage ends up :p

Who do you think operates the forklifts:confused:

Well of course they do. I meant that the forklift is doing all the work. I don't have anything against the guys I just don't think they need to be tipped. The people at the check-in counter at the airport are not tipped. (Aside from the $20.00 bag fee! ;)) The guy putting the bag on the plane isn't tipped. The guy unloading them and putting the bags on the baggage claim isn't tipped.

Just my 2 cents.

Outdated info. Someone who makes $40 hr straight time does not need or require a tip.Welcome to the real world.

What someone makes an hour has NO bearing on what I tip them.

What they earn is none of my business, nor is it anyone else's.

I also don't think that knowing what someone earns gives you knowledge on what they need or require.

No it is not true! Remember you are boarding the ship on a weekend! So they are making TRIPLE TIME. Sundays probably TRIPLE TIME and a HALF!!!

They should be SHOT!!!:D

They don't seem to care what I make, so I don't care what they make.

But I pull up in my car, grab my carry-on, open the back, reach in my pocket, pull out the clip. They off load the car, I peel a ten. Hop in the car and go park. That is a tippable event to me. I'm on vacation, not squeezing my money until it sweats.

Vacation is time to leave the alligator arms and deep, deep pockets at home!

Well of course they do. I meant that the forklift is doing all the work. I don't have anything against the guys I just don't think they need to be tipped. The people at the check-in counter at the airport are not tipped. (Aside from the $20.00 bag fee! ;)) The guy putting the bag on the plane isn't tipped. The guy unloading them and putting the bags on the baggage claim isn't tipped.

Just my 2 cents.

Forlifts don't need operators:confused: LOL!

I don't know about you but I always tip curbside check in at the airport.....

I was thinking about staring a new thread because of the same reason the OP started this thread because I have a couple of questions.

First,,I have never seen a porter because my 4 previous cruises I came from hotel stays and HAL took care of bags from hotel to stateroom.

In March I am driving to the ship. Now since I have never seen what goes on,,would I be safe to assume that the porters that will be at the parking structure (Long Beach) will want to take my bags for a ride on a cart to a place where they will be handed off to CCL personnel that will run them through some kind of xrays machines then take care of them,,just the same way a porter at an airport would take your bags and then the airlines take care of them. If this is true, why can't I just wheel them to the xray machine,,like I do at airports,,and let whomever handle them from there? Would I do this before I get into the jumbo embarkation rooms,,,,or is it just easier to let a porter do it?

I'm not adverse to tipping (I would probably tip 10 bucks), but I am adverse to losing my bags , especially since I won't even be flying.

Just my 2 cents.

Totally agree with you!

That's the problem, carnival says to tip $1...Is it outdated info that never gets updated? Or is it a blanket statement covering SOME U.S ports? Perhaps Boston, Baltimore, New Orleans are not Union, and All of FL, Charleston, Cali, Alaska, Mobile, etc are Union.

Has anyone asked someone at carnival? Perhaps John Heald to why Carnival has this $1/bag statement?

EDIT: The fact of the matter is, people who DO tip have lost their luggage and people who do NOT have received their luggage. I understand peoples mindset, tipping puts their mind at easy as losing your luggage is one the worst things that can happen on your cruise...

I was thinking about staring a new thread because of the same reason the OP started this thread because I have a couple of questions.

First,,I have never seen a porter because my 4 previous cruises I came from hotel stays and HAL took care of bags from hotel to stateroom.

In March I am driving to the ship. Now since I have never seen what goes on,,would I be safe to assume that the porters that will be at the parking structure (Long Beach) will want to take my bags for a ride on a cart to a place where they will be handed off to CCL personnel that will run them through some kind of xrays machines then take care of them,,just the same way a porter at an airport would take your bags and then the airlines take care of them. If this is true, why can't I just wheel them to the xray machine,,like I do at airports,,and let whomever handle them from there? Would I do this before I get into the jumbo embarkation rooms,,,,or is it just easier to let a porter do it?

I'm not adverse to tipping (I would probably tip 10 bucks), but I am adverse to losing my bags , especially since I won't even be flying.

I have only debarked a LB and wasn't driving at that. But if it is the same as all other ports I've done, you drive to the ship. You will see the bus off loading area and you stop there or where directed. There the porters will take your bags [and tips] and then you drive to the parking area and walk or shuttle back to the ship.

That's the problem, carnival says to tip $1...Is it outdated info that never gets updated? Or is it a blanket statement covering SOME U.S ports? Perhaps Boston, Baltimore, New Orleans are not Union, and All of FL, Charleston, Cali, Alaska, Mobile, etc are Union.

Has anyone asked someone at carnival? Perhaps John Heald to why Carnival has this $1/bag statement?

EDIT: The fact of the matter is, people who DO tip have lost their luggage and people who do NOT have received their luggage. I understand peoples mindset, tipping puts their mind at easy as losing your luggage is one the worst things that can happen on your cruise...

I doubt there is a US port without a Stevedore's union or a longshoreman's union.

When we sailed out of Long Beach we drove into the parking structure (which is right across from the ship) and the porters stopped us and unloaded our luggage gave us directions where to park and where to check in.......they were really helpful and worth every tip.

As far as the x raying I believe that is done on the ship right before they deliver them to your cabin......

Archived