Is there really and over 55 discount? A friend of mine would like to know.

fig414

Yes there are sailings that offer the sr. dicsount for passengers 55+, but usually those promos do not come available until closer to sailing date (sometimes 3 - 6 months before sailing date), and they are not available on all sailings.

Also check for state residency sales as they too are often offered closer to sailing date for select states.

If you are a past pasenger, sr. and qualify for a state residency discount... you have good odds of finding a promo that meets your budget !

Now that CCL has the ES fare, and have chopped up the cabin locations into "mini categories", I find the DP3 (past guest) and PSE (over 55) rates not that great. You may see upgrade rates (8A = 8E), etc., but the ES is now the best deal, if you are willing to oblige to the terms and conditions.:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, or fortunately, however you want to look at it, I qualify for almost all the "discounts". More often than not, I find the "Military" discount to be the best. I have a GREAT agent who knows what all I qualify for, and selects the best one for me.

"SKY"

It seems like Carnival is making the Early Saver the best discount, but yes, they do have a 55+ discount. The catch is you have to book at least 6 months in advance. The Military discount is still good, but not as good as early saver. If rates go down after final payment now, the only time you get OBC is if you have early saver. At least this is what our PVP is telling us these days.

Well I made it 55 this year, and when I was pricing a cruise for next year, checking " 55+" it effected the price from Jacksonville, but not from Mobile. So it can be port driven too.

Ill bet ya that at times it is from Mobile too, it just isnt on every cruise, already gone from my late January cruise. ES rate for a 4A was $279, $329 senior rate until a week ago, $359 past guest rate ... now $359 is the best rate showing ... but that doesnt mean they dont offer it from Galveston, just that it isnt showing currently.

Iv got my fingers crossed it will come back ... keep watching, it may show up for Mobile for you too.

Sounds like you have to hit 65 for a lot of the other travel senior discounts, airlines all seem to be 65 and a lot of hotels are 60 and 65. So, Im only a senior for Taco Beuno and cruising :)

Some of the internet travel agencies will show you all the different discounts that apply to each cruise. IE: Military, resident, past guest, senior, one (that advertises here0n CC) will also tell you which is the least expensive.

Sounds like you have to hit 65 for a lot of the other travel senior discounts, airlines all seem to be 65 and a lot of hotels are 60 and 65. So, Im only a senior for Taco Beuno and cruising :)

Fire: I'm with you on whether we qualify and for what! Restaurants seem to have a sliding scale also.

Milestones in my life: 21 years old (legal)

50 years old (retire)

55 years old (senior discounts)

Next stop social security, if it still available to us!

S.S.

There is one, and we did well with it for our cruise on the Splendor late in March. But it comes and goes- we got it when we booked and then about a week later there was a brief price drop for us 55+ which I was lucky enough to see and got our price dropped. But since then it has been going up. And some days the price for any of the discounts (age, residence, previous guest) are higher than the straight fare. I can see no rhyme nor reason to the prices. I have been following it closely just to try and figure out a pattern. I have not found one as yet.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, however you want to look at it, I qualify for almost all the "discounts". More often than not, I find the "Military" discount to be the best. I have a GREAT agent who knows what all I qualify for, and selects the best one for me.

"SKY"

DITTO..my PVC always checks all available discounts..military, pg and 55+. and resident...this upcoming cruise the resident rate was the best...yeah for living in OH :D

We booked an ES. About a month later, the 55+ rate was a little cheaper and Carnival was quick to reduce our final payment by the difference since ES is guaranteed to ALWAYS be the lowest price if you catch the price difference. Carnival does not automatically credit your acct, however, you must call it to their attention.

We booked an ES. About a month later, the 55+ rate was a little cheaper and Carnival was quick to reduce our final payment by the difference since ES is guaranteed to ALWAYS be the lowest price if you catch the price difference. Carnival does not automatically credit your acct, however, you must call it to their attention.

And submitt a form for the rate reduction too, which sometimes can not be as cooperative and quick in getting the rates adjusted as you may want ! :eek:

Even if you book with ES, when the ES price is gone, you are still eligible for the senior rate, resident state rates and also past guest rates (if you are a past guest of Carnival (Princess, HAL or any line that Carnival owns, at least this is what my PVP told me). I have had one price drop in the ES program, one on past guest and one on the senior rate for a total of $260.00 OBC.

Archived