Dawn's Adrift!

Duff Man

A quick update. We just got a letter from NCL saying that they are refunding 75% paid, plus 50% credit on next cruise if used by the end of next year. Pretty nice deal, IMO. That cruise next fall is looking better!

Thanks again for the well wishes. DW was much more upset than I was.

:cool:

Tell you what, I don't mean to sound flip cause I know this has been hard for the passengers, but I'll take that deal any day. This was a 9 day cruise right? And you had 7 of the 9 days? Refunding 75% of the cruise cost plus the 50% off on the next cruise, and of course hotel in PR and airfare back to Miami is extremely generous in my opinon. I'm really shocked that they are compensating this much. Very glad for you!

CG

we just got off this sailing.

we thought ncl did a great job up until the time the announced that they would take care of paying for any airfare, hotel etc incurred getting back to miami.

we then booked flights ourselves on jetblue for 8 of us, and got a room in ft lauderdale for thge night and then 4 hours later they made another announcement that ncl has chartered flights and would make hotel rrangements and we should not take care of this ourselves as we would not be refunded if we did.

if they had made this announcement first when they told us we were being redirected we never would have made our own arrangements.

i guess myself, duffman and many others will be fighting with ncl for a while over this.

I would recommend that you save everything you have that shows that you made the arrangements before they made the second announcement. That will probably be your strongest argument- that you would have let them do it if they had announced it right away but thought you had to do it yourself. I hope this resolves well for all- the pax on the ship and those waiting for upcoming cruises.

Could this turn out to be something that may last more than a week or two? My final payment is due today (for Feb) and I don't want to make a mistake. :(

I highly doubt that! Even if it were to affect future cruises such as yours, you wouldn't be out any money should your cruise be canceled.

Very sorry to hear of all the inconvenience on this current cruise, and for the people that were canceled on the 11/29 Norwegian Dawn cruise.

My family and two friends just returned from the Dawn's Western Caribbean cruise and we had zero problems. It was a completely stress free vacation. I did not find out about Cruise Critic until we were midway through the cruise, but I can see that this site is a tremendous resource if problems like this come up.

Best wishes to you all that were impacted by this unfortunate technical problem, and look forward to seeing you in the future!

If you have travel insurance, what do you have to worry about? :)

Well, it's my honeymoon...so if there is a forseeable issue, I would still have time to find an alternate place. I can't switch weeks...so it's not just about insurance. It's about the fact I want a nice honeymoon :)

I commend the OP for having such a positive attitude. It's refreshing. Seems like the compensation that NCL is offering is more than adequate.

Our first cruise, which was on the RCL Explorer of the Seas, was shortened by a day because of Hurricane Jeanne. Our travel insurance covered every expense we incurred from the moment RCL declared our cruise delayed (ship couldn't get into port). Once we got on the ship (a day late), RCL gave us $250 shipboard credit and 50% off a future cruise. I thought that was terrific compensation for missing one port. Now, I never cruise without travel insurance and have had to use it once, since.

Three cheers to NCL for handling this as well as they have. Makes me more likely to choose them for a cruise in the future.

Well, it's my honeymoon...so if there is a forseeable issue, I would still have time to find an alternate place. I can't switch weeks...so it's not just about insurance. It's about the fact I want a nice honeymoon :)

I cannot see how anyone here could give you a definitive answer on whether this will affect the Dawn long term. If you don't have alternate funding for your honeymoon in case something should arise, then that would certainly put you in a pickle. Then again, rebooking on another ship or cruise line isn't a 100% guarantee either, is it?

We have the NCL travel insurance. In the event they do cancel the Dawn Dec 4th cruise which we booked ( a year + ago! ) what happens to the plane fare we booked on our own? It is non refundable since we used USAir frequent flier miles for one of the tickets and got a good deal on the second ticket. I think it one cancels or changes a plane ticket, you have to pay $ 150.00 just to change it!

I kind of wish I was on the cruise..... :p.

Kathy

OMG...I was thinking the same thing but I was afraid if I posted it, that I'd get my head bit off!!!!

I'm glad you said it first!! :D

The toilet issue would have been pretty difficult, but I totally think what NCL is offering ion compensation is more than fair.

I actually feel worse for the people whose cruise was cancelled...what a bummer!!

Their compensation is fair as well....I guess if it were me, I'd just fly to Miami and stay there for the 5 days and start researching what cruise I was going to book next. :)

wow this is to bad, they ALL will have quite the CRUISE ADVENTURE to tell, does look like NCL is trying to make things right and the 'compensation' sounds GOOD!

its to bad for those that got CANCELED unfortunately things like this happen:( but GIVING THUMBS UP to NCL:) for how they are HANDLING

but this does make us ALL realize it could happen to US too:eek:

we just got off this sailing.

we thought ncl did a great job up until the time the announced that they would take care of paying for any airfare, hotel etc incurred getting back to miami.

we then booked flights ourselves on jetblue for 8 of us, and got a room in ft lauderdale for thge night and then 4 hours later they made another announcement that ncl has chartered flights and would make hotel rrangements and we should not take care of this ourselves as we would not be refunded if we did.

if they had made this announcement first when they told us we were being redirected we never would have made our own arrangements.

i guess myself, duffman and many others will be fighting with ncl for a while over this.

It's funny, when this first came up, I ran to tell my DH and his response was, "NCL will likely charter planes to get everyone to Maimi"

I thought the people who were making their own travel arrangements were doing the right thing...I guess that's why my DH is the brains of this operation!! I would have done exactly what you did and I'd have been screwed too.

We got on the Dec. 13th Jewel trip for 7-day Jewel - for less money than we paid for the 5-day Dawn!!! ROCK ON, NCL!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

:D:D

I love when people are happy!!

We have the NCL travel insurance. In the event they do cancel the Dawn Dec 4th cruise which we booked ( a year + ago! ) what happens to the plane fare we booked on our own? It is non refundable since we used USAir frequent flier miles for one of the tickets and got a good deal on the second ticket. I think it one cancels or changes a plane ticket, you have to pay $ 150.00 just to change it!

It shouldn't be a problem!

Trip Cancellation, Trip Interruption, and Trip Delay Protection

Provides reimbursement for the prepaid, non-refundable, unused portion of your vacation should you need to cancel or interrupt your vacation due to unexpected illness, injury, job termination and other covered reasons as listed in the Description of Coverage. The plan also covers additional out-of-pocket expenses for meals, accommodation and travel expenses to catch up to the vacation due to covered travel delays.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=BooksafeReview

If you have any questions about our Travel Protection Plan, please call the plan's administrator, BerkelyCare, at 1-(800) 722-5672 or to file a claim go to www.travelclaim.com.

OMG...I was thinking the same thing but I was afraid if I posted it, that I'd get my head bit off!!!!

I'm glad you said it first!! :D

The toilet issue would have been pretty difficult, but I totally think what NCL is offering ion compensation is more than fair.

I actually feel worse for the people whose cruise was cancelled...what a bummer!!

Their compensation is fair as well....I guess if it were me, I'd just fly to Miami and stay there for the 5 days and start researching what cruise I was going to book next. :)

My husband and I was saying the same thing earlier. While there would be some inconveniences, we would certainly enjoy being able to afford another cruise next year.

Could this turn out to be something that may last more than a week or two? My final payment is due today (for Feb) and I don't want to make a mistake. :(

I see a distinct lack of concern on your part for those on the ship now and those who were to board on Sunday. It's hard to show sympathy for someone sailing two months from now. How would you expect anyone on these boards to give you an opinion on that?

I see a distinct lack of concern on your part for those on the ship now and those who were to board on Sunday. It's hard to show sympathy for someone sailing two months from now. How would you expect anyone on these boards to give you an opinion on that?

whoa!! take it easy. That poster may be new to cruising and this could be upsetting them for goodness sake. Take a chill pill.

Could this turn out to be something that may last more than a week or two? My final payment is due today (for Feb) and I don't want to make a mistake.

Well, we have airfare and such to think about, so I wanted to know opinions :)

I cannot see how anyone here could give you a definitive answer on whether this will affect the Dawn long term. If you don't have alternate funding for your honeymoon in case something should arise, then that would certainly put you in a pickle. Then again, rebooking on another ship or cruise line isn't a 100% guarantee either, is it?

Not new to cruising or NCL.

If final payment is due today and you have concerns, today would be the day to make changes.

Best wishes on your upcoming marriage!

whoa!! take it easy. That poster may be new to cruising and this could be upsetting them for goodness sake. Take a chill pill.

Not new to cruising--only concerned about her cruise. Her postings to the thread show that. No need to blast me--just read the posts.

It sounds like the passengers will be well taken care of, 75% refund and 50% credit towards a future cruise, plus they got to see Puerto Rico. I'd love to hear from the passengers to see if this is enough, but it sounds pretty good to me.

I don't know what the passengers who were supposed to be on the next cruise get though, hopefully accomodated somehow as well.

Archived