Dawn's Adrift!

Duff Man

I just called them again about changing our reservation to the Jewl or Pearl and us paying the difference. I was told NCL upper management has "Locked out" the reservation for the Dawn so nothing can be changed at this point.

I just called them again about changing our reservation to the Jewl or Pearl and us paying the difference. I was told NCL upper management has "Locked out" the reservation for the Dawn so nothing can be changed at this point.

maybe you should make a reservation on one of the other ships and have them put a courtesy hold until Monday by then more should be known....

PS I like the Dawn but the 7 day itineraries from NY to Florida did a number on her engines.

maybe you should make a reservation on one of the other ships and have them put a courtesy hold until Monday by then more should be known....

PS I like the Dawn but the 7 day itineraries from NY to Florida did a number on her engines.

The Pearl leaves tomorrow 11/28 and the Jewl leaves Sunday 11/29 same day as the Dawn.

As I feared, the Captain just announced that they are re-routing us to San Juan. Tomorrow the staff will help everyone make travel arrangements. Well, that should be just a ton of fun!

:eek:

Sorry to hear of the mishap. I hope you all make it home without to much trouble. It sounds like NCL is trying to get everyone accomodated.

The Pearl leaves tomorrow 11/28 and the Jewl leaves Sunday 11/29 same day as the Dawn.

opps....good luck. I hope they work it out for you....

and before someone tells you it can't be done the DHS rules is that the final manifest has to be submitted one hour before the ship sails....no other rule applies...

opps....good luck. I hope they work it out for you....

and before someone tells you it can't be done the DHS rules is that the final manifest has to be submitted one hour before the ship sails....no other rule applies...

Thanks for the advice, your right about DHS. We know as my wife retired from CBP.

I can't imagine all four engines having difficulties at the same time. Most likely, a switchboard shorted out. Mine you, I have no inside information. Switchboards can be rewired and dried out. In the long run a new switchboard can be replaced with a new one. I hope this doesn't become another three month fix.... but with these ships, parts aren't as common as a hotel switchboard.... Everything on a ship is huge.... And as I noted before on other threads, parts aren't a few miles away when a ship is at sea....

first- I hope everyone got safely to San Juan and then safely home. I feel for everyone on the ship going through that.

That being said- I'm supposed to be on the 11.29 sailing, not sure what to do. DH just called and of course they don't know anything. We have trip insurance- not sure if I should just cancel the whole trip- or fly to Miami and hope we go, I just don't know. So frustrating trying to plan. As if I wasn't already nervous enough leaving my 2.5 yr old with my parents, ship trouble doesn't make me feel good.

Norwegian cruise ship temporarily loses power

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

MIAMI -- The Norwegian Dawn cruise ship temporarily lost power off the coast of Puerto Rico and was heading to the island for maintenance.

A Norwegian Cruise Line news release says the ship lost power at 9 a.m. Friday about 95 miles north of San Juan. The U.S. Coast Guard was notified.

Partial power was restored, and the ship was diverted to San Juan, where it was expected to arrive under its own power Saturday morning. The cruise line says it will help passengers make travel arrangements to Miami, where the ship was supposed to arrive Sunday.

Norwegian says it will provide each guest with a 75 percent refund and a 50 percent future cruise credit, which will be good through the end of 2010.

The Norwegian Dawn departed Miami last Friday, making stops throughout the Caribbean. http://www.miamiherald.com/news/florida/AP/story/1354730.html

Saturday is a relatively(even this weekend) quiet day. They probably can get a couple of charters over there as well. At least a passport won't be needed at the airport.... I just checked and there are lots of flights with seats from SJU...

Its the late arriving flights for people that will have to get else where that will be a problem especially since they don't know when the ship will actually arrive...

It sounds like a mess. :mad: We are booked to sail Dec 4th on the Dawn and hope we hear something definitive re: that cruise. Of course we have non refundable plane tickets. Got them last May and booked our AE cabin the summer of 2008! " The best laid plans of mice and men etc. " If anyone hears anything, please post here.

Passports have been required for sea travel to the Caribbean for at least several months now.

They aren't required for closed-loop cruises from the US. But thanks about PR, that part didn't register in my still-triptopan overloaded brain.

Happy late Thanksgiving to all my fellow Americans!

NCL claims to have no information and will not even state that the ship will not be in Miami on Sunday. I assume that most of the pax booked on this Sunday's 5-day will be in for a big surprise if they do not follow Florida news or read the CC boards. I am still flying to Miami tomorrow. I am sure I will manage to have fun in Florida somehow.

Hi folks. I thought it better to just start a new thread. It is now 2:10 a.m. ship time. I read all the posts in the prior thread, thanks to those who gave will wishes. Safety really is the most important thing, and being on a limp ship with no a/c is not all that good. :) The ship is moving forward, but i can't imagine it is more than 5 mph.

After my last post, I immediately was on line and working the phone for arrangements. We had planned one more day in South Beach on our return, so I was able to book a room for tomorrow night at the same hotel which gives us an extra day in south beach , and I booked our own air travel. If this was going to happen this was the best time. Earlier, we would have missed ports, tomorrow - well nobody would have made there Sunday flights.

NCL announced that they will pay for everyone's airfare and the night's hotel (we weren't due back until Sunday), plus the transfer to the airport. They said they won't pay for anyone who books their own aiir or hotel. I guess I will be dealing with NCL on that for some time. I went ahead and booked our own. I just could not conceive of being in the queu of 2000 pax trying to book, then being placed on a bad airline with a 10:00 p.m. flight (by the way, I have heard from a couple people that there are 950 people from the UK on this trip. It certainly seems like that is correct).

Unofortunately, DW & I did not make the M & G, so I did not meet Ursala. My bad. :(

I have not heard anything else about the cause. I saw Hugo go by, but he seemed much to busy for me to bother him. ;)

The interior of the ship has been stifling hot. They have said that they are using whatever power they have to propel the ship, and a/c simply takes up too much power (makes sense to me!). They are using paper napkins at meals (can't wash linen napkins), paper cups for drinks (less dishwashing).

Without a/c, any area that is not open is almost unbearably too hot. We had dinner at Venetion (the speciatly restaurants were closed, my miscommumication as earlier reported), and it was very very hot. Thanks for chilled white whine! I tipped the servers extra because I felt so bad for them.

Speaking of, the crew has been awesome. While we pax are complaining about the heat, they are still working and with a smile. In fact, most give us an apology! Pretty amazing, actually.

The inside cabins are very hot. Pax are taking their pillows and heading up to the pool deck to sleep. The AC suite is paying off! DW is sleeping on the balcony. I have the door propped open to circulate air down the hall for the poor souls down the hall. The night's entertainment was to be on the pool deck until 2:00 a.m., but CD John cut it off at midnight because too many people were going up on deck to try and sleep.

I think my internet minutes are about to run out.

DM

Thanks for the update!! I hope you guys are able to still enjoy what's left of your trip. It kind of puts some other things into perspective! These people who say that one bad meal or a bad show "ruins" their cruise, when you still seem to be making the best out of the situation. I'm sure the other passengers and crew appreciate your positive attitude!

Sounds like a front AC cabin really came in handy for you. A little fresh air and can sleep out on the front deck. Best Wishes on your flight. Keep us posted on how NCL does move that many folks from SJ to Miami, and all the baggage. A 75% refund, and 50% off a future cruise, seems really fair to me.

Dale (WindsorRV)

Archived