Dawn's Adrift!

Duff Man

A quick update. We just got a letter from NCL saying that they are refunding 75% paid, plus 50% credit on next cruise if used by the end of next year. Pretty nice deal, IMO. That cruise next fall is looking better!

Thanks again for the well wishes. DW was much more upset than I was.

:cool:

Besides the 11/29 5 night Dawn cruise, we were booked on a 12/4 Sky cruise (back to back). I can't see going to Miami for just a 3 night cruise on the Sky.

I called NCL's emergency # and was told that they hadn't heard anything and to wait til the phone lines open at 9AM. (We were supposed to leave at 7AM to drive to Miami, staying at hotel)

This seems like a bad dream! I guess though it was worse for the passengers who are on the Dawn now!

But it's no longer a closed loop cruise. Do they need a PP to get off the ship? I really can't imagine Customs splitting hairs in a case like this though (??)

No-they will make an exception....the choice is to keep them on the ship which they won't do.

The real nightmare is when they discover how much an airline ticket costs at the last moment. I can be very very expensive. Another problem is that since most airlines are flying full they may have to spend an extra day or two in San Juan awaiting a flight. All of this can cost well over a thousand dollars and as many of you know travel without insurance. Even if you do have insurance you still have to pay first and then apply for a claim.

I experienced having to make travel arrangement in the middle of the ocean it that is an experience you don't want to have to make either. Yes the cruise line let us make free calls but you may have to wait because 2200 people cannot call at the same time. There is also no phone books at sea that I knew of so if you had to make hotel arrangements that can be a problem also. If you have a full service travel agent this process can go smoother. If you have your computer the whole process is easier but with all the traffic you can expect that to be a slow process.

The only lucky ones on this cruise are the ones with cruise air. All they have to do is sit back and let NCL make arrangements for them. At no extra cost too.

Shak

I think we should assume that NCL will book/charter seats for all of the cruisers needing a seat to Miami, put everyone who wants up, and then it is Sunday, and folks travel home as they had planned to. That should be pretty easy and straight forward.

As many know, I like NCL a lot, but if I was booked on the Dawn tomorrow, rather than the Jewel, I would be totally po'd. People report calling and being told they know nothing. Wait till 9AM. Hey NCL, folks travel early today because that is the cheapest time to fly. There is a NCL website, but no caution on it. Is there not an SOP for this type of situation? Let's see that NCL screen name come on this thread and tell folks the plans.

Al

I think we should assume that NCL will book/charter seats for all of the cruisers needing a seat to Miami, put everyone who wants up, and then it is Sunday, and folks travel home as they had planned to. That should be pretty easy and straight forward.

Hopefully, they can get them directly on their way, bypassing Miami. Those SJ fares are killers. Throw me a bone, and I'd stay in OSJ for a couple of weeks.

As far as crew, the ones I really feel for are the chefs. It is hot in the kitchen any time. I am sure it is horrendous. What about power for refrigeration and cooking? I'm sure 4 hours the provisions stayed fresh and safe. Thank goodness it hadn't been longer!

OP, you have a great attitude. That's so commendable. I am sure there are complainers. Regardless, how dissappointing. But surely, an unexpected matter.

NCL, seems to be taking care of pax and being very generous. That's awesome.

To those scheduled on the next cruise, I have my fingers crossed for you.

Does anyone know if this is true?

I see the following at http://www.gainesville.com/article/20091128/ARTICLES/911281006/1002

Published: Saturday, November 28, 2009 at 6:01 a.m.

"Cruise ship loses power off Puerto Rico

MIAMI - The Norwegian Dawn cruise ship temporarily lost power off the coast of Puerto Rico.

A Norwegian Cruise Line news release says the ship lost power at 9 a.m. Friday about 95 miles off the north coast of San Juan, Puerto Rico.

The United States Coast Guard and local authorities were notified immediately.

The cruise line reported that all guests on board were safe and secure.

Power was restored later Friday, and the ship was back under way.

It was expected to arrive in Miami as scheduled on Sunday.

The Norwegian Dawn departed Miami last Friday, making stops throughout the Caribbean."

Does anyone know if this is true?

I see the following at http://www.gainesville.com/article/20091128/ARTICLES/911281006/1002

Published: Saturday, November 28, 2009 at 6:01 a.m.

"Cruise ship loses power off Puerto Rico

MIAMI - The Norwegian Dawn cruise ship temporarily lost power off the coast of Puerto Rico.

A Norwegian Cruise Line news release says the ship lost power at 9 a.m. Friday about 95 miles off the north coast of San Juan, Puerto Rico.

The United States Coast Guard and local authorities were notified immediately.

The cruise line reported that all guests on board were safe and secure.

Power was restored later Friday, and the ship was back under way.

It was expected to arrive in Miami as scheduled on Sunday.

The Norwegian Dawn departed Miami last Friday, making stops throughout the Caribbean."

Doesn't look like it's a FOX affiliate. Therefore, it is not true, or something's missing.

Thanks for the update!! I hope you guys are able to still enjoy what's left of your trip. It kind of puts some other things into perspective! These people who say that one bad meal or a bad show "ruins" their cruise, when you still seem to be making the best out of the situation. I'm sure the other passengers and crew appreciate your positive attitude!

I agree!!!!!!!! I'd want to be on this ship, with passengers like that!

Archived