Dawn's Adrift!

Duff Man

Not new to cruising--only concerned about her cruise. Her postings to the thread show that. No need to blast me--just read the posts.

Yes, you're right. I did look to see she has 3 cruises under her belt. It hardly makes her an experienced cruiser though. Plus, it seems this is her honeymoon, so if I were her I would be thinking about myself as well. Call me selfish.

Didn't mean to sound like I was blasting you and I apologize, but I thought she was being unjustly blasted....

I know her cruise is a long way off, but I can remember planning my honeymoon/wedding. (even though it was a million years ago :)) It was not exactly a stress-free time. I just think the woman deserves a little slack here, that's all.

In all honesty, if you had an upcoming cruise on the Dawn, wouldn't you be a little concerned about yourself and your plans as well???

I would.

I feel for everyone that has een put through this. It seems that the compensation is fair, however some people just want to go cruising when they planned. Our first cruise together is scheduled for the Dawn on Decemer 4th. Hopefully all the problems get worked out. I feel so bad for the people that just got cancelled. Alot of time and planning go into these things, and to look forward to something so long, and have it ripped from you at the last second is brutal. Maybe it is because I am new to cruising, but I am very concerned that the vacation I have been planning for over a year could be cancelled. Compnsation aside, I just want to be able to cruise on the day and week that I have been looking forward to for so long. Is that wrong?

Yes, you're right. I did look to see she has 3 cruises under her belt. It hardly makes her an experienced cruiser though. Plus, it seems this is her honeymoon, so if I were her I would be thinking about myself as well. Call me selfish.

Didn't mean to sound like I was blasting you and I apologize, but I thought she was being unjustly blasted....

I know her cruise is a long way off, but I can remember planning my honeymoon/wedding. (even though it was a million years ago :)) It was not exactly a stress-free time. I just think the woman deserves a little slack here, that's all.

In all honesty, if you had an upcoming cruise on the Dawn, wouldn't you be a little concerned about yourself and your plans as well???

I would.

Of course I would be concerned. I hope I would think of those who have cruises leaving on Sunday before I went on and on about a cruise in Feb. I imagine there are many who are really having a rough day today trying to change plans etc.

, I just want to be able to cruise on the day and week that I have been looking forward to for so long. Is that wrong?

Of course it's not wrong. But you have to understand that on top of mechanical issues (that happen on every cruise line) and mother nature, medical emergencies on board and suicidal passengers to name a few things...there are SO many things that can and do go wrong on cruises, that you have to have some flexibility and/or ability to accept possible changes...some as small as itinerary, others as large as possible cancellation.

Cruising can be a gamble. You have to love it enough to be willing to take the risk...that's MHO.

Of course I would be concerned. I hope I would think of those who have cruises leaving on Sunday before I went on and on about a cruise in Feb. I imagine there are many who are really having a rough day today trying to change plans etc.

I feel as you do but not everyone shares the same amount of the 'empathy' emotion.

I do believe that posters likely falls into the 'not willing to take the risk' category though........

I feel bad for everyone currently onboard the Dawn! :eek: I hope NCL ends up paying the airfare of the passengers who booked their flights back to Miami, and I hope everyone booked for 11/29 has a good time in Miami or can book another last-minute cruise! :eek:

I feel for everyone that has een put through this. It seems that the compensation is fair, however some people just want to go cruising when they planned. Our first cruise together is scheduled for the Dawn on Decemer 4th. Hopefully all the problems get worked out. I feel so bad for the people that just got cancelled. Alot of time and planning go into these things, and to look forward to something so long, and have it ripped from you at the last second is brutal. Maybe it is because I am new to cruising, but I am very concerned that the vacation I have been planning for over a year could be cancelled. Compnsation aside, I just want to be able to cruise on the day and week that I have been looking forward to for so long. Is that wrong?

Janene,

If they don't have this problem fixed by next Friday, I will be pretty surprised. Travel by any mode planned into future is always a crap shoot.

I always buy travel insurance when cruising, because of the considerable up front costs.

See you at the M+G;)

NCL is offering 50% of our paid cruise fare off of a future cruise. I got a really good price on the 11-29-09 sailing and 50% does not amount to much. We were able to book a 5 day on the Navigator of The Seas leaving Monday. NCL is also covering the $150pp charge for changing plane reservations.

to the OP- I just want to sincerely thank you for taking the time to post about the troubles on the ship. We were scheduled to get on the Dawn tomorrow and because of your post last night I was able to do some research in to other options and put a hold on a RCCL 5 day leaving 11/30 instead, then when NCL announced the cxl, I just changed our booking. With out you we would have been devastated and without a trip. Thank you so much! Hope that you get home safely.

to the OP- I just want to sincerely thank you for taking the time to post about the troubles on the ship. We were scheduled to get on the Dawn tomorrow and because of your post last night I was able to do some research in to other options and put a hold on a RCCL 5 day leaving 11/30 instead, then when NCL announced the cxl, I just changed our booking. With out you we would have been devastated and without a trip. Thank you so much! Hope that you get home safely.

That goes for us also and I wish I had said it myself. Having this information last night was very helpful. Thank you.

Tonkel

The Dawn is suppose to go into dry dock sometime in 2010. It might be better if they do it right now so that other upcoming cruises are not affected by other problems. I wouldn't be surprised if this happens. Has anyone heard anything about this happening now. :confused:

Actually the Dawn is not scheduled for dry dock until the Fall of 2011.

PE

The Dawn is suppose to go into dry dock sometime in 2010. It might be better if they do it right now so that other upcoming cruises are not affected by other problems. I wouldn't be surprised if this happens. Has anyone heard anything about this happening now. :confused:

I wonder if it really is that easy to line up dry dock facilities with no notice? Refurbs and breakdowns are different anyway.

We are safely back in Miami. Whew, that was a long night.

I agree with pieshops, NCL did a great job until the travel arrangments, because they did not inform how they were making whatever arrangments were being done. Then the announcements this morning were not clear, as ourselves and others who booked their own travel were not being announced as to when we could get off the ship. We finally just left and walked right through.

Essentially, it looks like overnight NCL was working to book everyone charter flights and one night hotel room. Supposedly, they posted a list on Deck 7 with your name and your "flight time", which I heard was 12:00 p.m., 5:00 p.m., and 7:00 p.m. I say heard, because we were never told about this list or that you were suppose to look at the list until after we were off the ship. They arranged for buses to the aiport. Someone else on the bus who booked their own told us about the list, and said that they weren't even on it! I have no idea how or on what basis they would decide who would get which flight.

When we landed here in Miami, we were met by a local TV news reporter. We were kind. Other pax he interviewed were downright angry! I understand on some level, but I guess we just aren't going to let some things ruin our vacation. To get all ports in and only miss two sea days, I think their offer is pretty fair.

Now I need to hit the tiki bar! :D

Hope everyone makes it home safe.

Sorry for those not able to go this up coming cruise. But, thanks again to the OP for the info for all those who could change arrangements.

That said, NCL gave great compensation in my opinion. I would hate to be the one on the up coming next cruises.

We are booked for Feb 12th -- hopefully all will be ok by then.

We have made final payment, even booked shore excursions.

NCL did out air and we have trip insurance. I don't know what else one can do but READ THE BOARDS REGULARLY !!

Thanks again for the inf and we will hope for a speedy repair.

Save home to all !!

We are safely back in Miami. Whew, that was a long night.

I agree with pieshops, NCL did a great job until the travel arrangments, because they did not inform how they were making whatever arrangments were being done. Then the announcements this morning were not clear, as ourselves and others who booked their own travel were not being announced as to when we could get off the ship. We finally just left and walked right through.

Essentially, it looks like overnight NCL was working to book everyone charter flights and one night hotel room. Supposedly, they posted a list on Deck 7 with your name and your "flight time", which I heard was 12:00 p.m., 5:00 p.m., and 7:00 p.m. I say heard, because we were never told about this list or that you were suppose to look at the list until after we were off the ship. They arranged for buses to the aiport. Someone else on the bus who booked their own told us about the list, and said that they weren't even on it! I have no idea how or on what basis they would decide who would get which flight.

When we landed here in Miami, we were met by a local TV news reporter. We were kind. Other pax he interviewed were downright angry! I understand on some level, but I guess we just aren't going to let some things ruin our vacation. To get all ports in and only miss two sea days, I think their offer is pretty fair.

Now I need to hit the tiki bar! :D

I just want to say that I think you're awesome :)

Frankly, those who are upset would have been upset if the ship came in two hours late due to fog....

When you have to make flight arrangements with less than a day's notice, its not so easy even for a cruise line company. They are having to charter aircraft which isn't cheap. Even for just one person I have had difficulties with sold out flights in the past. Sometimes I have had to book a train....

Considering the age of some cruise line ships its a wonder there aren't more mechanical difficulties. Its my opinion cruise lines do better with multiple engine ships than the airlines do. Cruise ships are nearly 99 percent on time, a term say within a half hour of estimated time of arrival, whereas airlines have a far, far badder record....Plus airlines cancel more too....

Considering the age of some cruise line ships its a wonder there aren't more mechanical difficulties.

ABSOLUTELY!!!! And just think...they go non stop!!

I think that with the newer ships there may be more mechanical difficulties. It seems to me the more 'extra' you have in terms of new gadgets/technology, and the bigger the ship, the better your chances will be for something to go wrong.

Classy all the way through! :)

Yes!! Absolutely!!

{this is SO refreshing compared to the constant threat of lawsuits 'elsewhere' isn't it??}

I agree!! This is our kind of cruiser--bless you!! I am sure the officers and crew wished all were as terrific as you!! Happy Holidays--and many more cruises...

Ditto!

Heck, I just wish I was there. ;)

me too!!!!!!!!!

our flight from San Juan to Ft Lauderdale landed 10 minutes early and we were in the hot tub in the renasissance by 4.

Again i can not say enough about the staff and crew during the day we were at drift, the captain came on every half hour or so and gave us updates.

this morning was a mess getting off the ship, everyone went down to deck 4 before they were supposed to, and it was a huge mess.

other then that found a great driver to get us to the airport 10 bucks a person for our group of 8, even gave us an hour tour of old san juan for that price. he was great.

We kind of went with the flow, did not want this to ruin our vacation, but the things i heard coming out of other guests mouths was unbelievable. i was in the internet cafe this morning around 5 and heard this woman screaming at one on the workers at the front desk 2 floors below me, why people take things out on these poor people is beyond me.

i also heard a lot of people grumbling about conspiricy theories and ncl knew this and that and did not tell us. do people really think they want to upset people. i just do not get people.

My only regret was this being my first cruise as a silver latitudes i missed my get together that was cancelled.

i can not wait to start planning my next cruise.

I agree 100%!

Heck, I just wish I was there. ;)

Heck, I don't! :)

Agree that the OP has a great attitude! I'd tolerate no food, little water, no shower and even no toilet (for a little while), but having no A/C would just kill me. I feel for those who tried to sleep in that heat.

Hope all make it home safely.

our flight from San Juan to Ft Lauderdale landed 10 minutes early and we were in the hot tub in the renasissance by 4.

Again i can not say enough about the staff and crew during the day we were at drift, the captain came on every half hour or so and gave us updates.

this morning was a mess getting off the ship, everyone went down to deck 4 before they were supposed to, and it was a huge mess.

other then that found a great driver to get us to the airport 10 bucks a person for our group of 8, even gave us an hour tour of old san juan for that price. he was great.

We kind of went with the flow, did not want this to ruin our vacation, but the things i heard coming out of other guests mouths was unbelievable. i was in the internet cafe this morning around 5 and heard this woman screaming at one on the workers at the front desk 2 floors below me, why people take things out on these poor people is beyond me.

i also heard a lot of people grumbling about conspiricy theories and ncl knew this and that and did not tell us. do people really think they want to upset people. i just do not get people.

My only regret was this being my first cruise as a silver latitudes i missed my get together that was cancelled.

i can not wait to start planning my next cruise.

Another classy, go-with-the-flow, my kind of person! May your next cruise be extra special....and just think of the story you will be able to tell at that Silver Latitudes bash!:D

Archived