Brunch on Equinox

alishac

Last year on the Solstice, my boyfriend and I missed out on the brunch in MDR then wished we hadn't when we heard everyone talking about it. This year it's on our can't miss list for the Equinox. Can anyone tell me what foods are served? Is it buffet style? Is it offered more than once on an 11-night cruise?

Thanks! :)

Frankly I was very disappointed in the Brunch and only went one time. It opened at 10:00AM and we were one of the first in line. The food for most of the breakfast items were nothing special. Not much different than in the main buffet. The Eggs Benedict were cold and the muffin was impossible to cut or eat. The breakfast meats were exactly like the buffet. Maybe the luncheon items were better, but I heard from others that it also was nothing really special.

We did a B2B on the Equinox with the last leg being the transatlantic. The first cruise was 13 days and the second 14. There were two buffets for each cruise. It is set up in the middle of the main dining room and is like a buffet with various stations. While there are a lot of breakfast foods, there are also salads, meat dishes, vegetables, carving station, rolls, etc. The first buffet we were not that impressed with, but probably because if was very crowded and difficult to get food with long lines (went about 12:30). We skipped the second buffet and then heard how much better it was, so on the next leg of the cruise, we went to the second one at 10:20. It was a lot less crowded. Many of the food items were the same, but this one had cold shrimp and crab claws, chocolate fondue fountains (one white chocolate, one darker chlocolate), dessert crepes with different toppings and cotton candy. In my opinion, it was the better of the two and worth going to.

Barb

Just got off a 4 dayer on Equinox and I agree that the brunch was nothing special. It was very nicely set up, buffet style with fruit carvings and ice sculptures, but the food was mediocre at best. It was from 10am-1pm, and most of the foods were breakfast type and ended up cold after sitting out for so long. Off the top of my head, there was eggs benedict, salmon and other breakfast fish, made to order waffles, eggs, yogurt, fruit, pastries, roast beef, fish & chips, crab claws, and breads/cheeses. One item I did enjoy was the chicken pot pie, and the crepes were fresh (made to order), but the majority of the food was so-so. Seating was also strange, as the staff had a hard time keeping up with cleaning the tables. Give it a try because you missed it on your last cruise, but I wouldn't expect more than your typical buffet food.

Just got off a 4 dayer on Equinox and I agree that the brunch was nothing special. It was very nicely set up, buffet style with fruit carvings and ice sculptures, but the food was mediocre at best. It was from 10am-1pm, and most of the foods were breakfast type and ended up cold after sitting out for so long. Off the top of my head, there was eggs benedict, salmon and other breakfast fish, made to order waffles, eggs, yogurt, fruit, pastries, roast beef, fish & chips, crab claws, and breads/cheeses. One item I did enjoy was the chicken pot pie, and the crepes were fresh (made to order), but the majority of the food was so-so. Seating was also strange, as the staff had a hard time keeping up with cleaning the tables. Give it a try because you missed it on your last cruise, but I wouldn't expect more than your typical buffet food.

Is there sit down table service for breakfast on the Equinox? We are not breakfast buffet kind of people.

Judy

I thought the brunch was very nice. :)

Hi Texed:) I was just on the 4 night sailing and thought it was

wonderful too:D...I guess we are in the minority (on this board anyway;))

Is there sit down table service for breakfast on the Equinox? We are not breakfast buffet kind of people.

Judy

Hi, I was on the same sailing as Infi (Hi Cindy:D) and found there

was plenty of lunch foods as well.

Crab Claws...carving stations...personally I thought it was lovely.:)

There is a sit down breakfast served but on this particular day they

had a brunch in the dining room.

Hi Texed:) I was just on the 4 night sailing and thought it was

wonderful too:D...I guess we are in the minority (on this board anyway;))

I guess you and I are just too easily satisfied. :cool:

We also enjoy a nice sit down breakfast in the Main dining room. But on those Brunch days, they just serve you drinks. It's serve yourself from buffet stations and long lines.

So there isn't a sit down / served by waiters breakfast in the MDR every morning?

We are not buffet fans at all.

J

So there isn't a sit down / served by waiters breakfast in the MDR every morning?

We are not buffet fans at all.

J

Hi:) there is a brunch once on the cruise. All the other mornings there

is a sit down breakfast served by waiters.

I thought the presentation of the food was very nice on the 4 nighter (see photos) but most of the food was average. DH was very happy with the abundance of crab claws tho!

I also found the service very haphazard; it was difficult to even get water glasses filled. I felt the wait staff was not very prepared for this type of set up. I enjoyed the music and was glad we went but would not consider it the culinary highlight of my cruise :rolleyes:

The brunch....it is one day out of the cruise.

So that one day the sit down breakfast in the main dining room is not

available.

Hopefully that one time won't ruin the rest of the cruise for those

of you who are not happy about it.

We were on the recent transatlantic as well. I didn't think the brunch was that great. The best part was during the second brunch when I found the regular lunch buffet on deck 14 was very uncrowded for a change.

Hi Larry & Sue

I have to agree with you. I felt that the overall experience would have been much improved if there had been more thought put into the organisation of the seating. It was basically organised chaos (try and find yourself a spot) instead of the more normal wait in line to be shown to a ready laid table. We are happy to give it another try and have re-booked for the Eastbound TA.

We were pleased to meet up with you again and thanks for the ginger, it did the trick.

Roy & Jennifer

Archived