Westerdam 11/15/09 - Our Experience

ekerr19

Taking this cruise in January - our first on HAL. Is it necessary to make reservations for the PG ahead of time? DH's 60th birthday is on the first sea day. Originally I thought that we would go to the PG that night however, I understand that is the first formal night, so now I'm not sure that would be a good choice. What is the opinion of experienced HAL cruisers about going to the PG on a formal night?

Debbie -

We went on the first formal night and really enjoyed it. We've done so a few times and always liked it better than the menu in MDR. If you need more info on menus, you can email me and I can give more detail - I saved them all. :)

Heather,

.........................I think you should try and get your reservation ahead of time - I can briefly outline the menus (unless you want to be surprised!) but I think the first formal night is good for Pinnacle - that would be Tuesday.

Glad to hear we were not alone with the appetizer's - I guess it's probably a new thing then - we've never had a problem in the past. Or maybe it's just the ship as others have mentioned above...

I don't think I'll choose last night for the Pinnacle. I'll email you for the menu outline because it might be a factor.

As for the appetizers, I should also mention that their Concierge was the same as yours so tough to say whether it's a HAL policy or just hers!!!:)

I don't think I'll choose last night for the Pinnacle. I'll email you for the menu outline because it might be a factor.

As for the appetizers, I should also mention that their Concierge was the same as yours so tough to say whether it's a HAL policy or just hers!!!:)

Were they on the week before us, or was it two weeks before?

I actually like going to Pinnacle on a formal night because it basically 'kills two birds with one stone', so to speak - I brought DH's sport jacket, but in the end we didn't need it by going on a formal night. From now on, on a 7-day cruise I won't be bringing the sport jacket.

I was thinking the same thing, Laura. I brought DH's sports jacket and he also did not wear it. I'll probably continue to bring one, 'just in case'. I'd hate for him to need/want one and not have it. In the end, as you know, we were in Pinnacle Grill three times that cruise. We went on both formal nights and also on the last night. We thought the food excellent.

I was thinking the same thing, Laura. I brought DH's sports jacket and he also did not wear it. I'll probably continue to bring one, 'just in case'. I'd hate for him to need/want one and not have it. In the end, as you know, we were in Pinnacle Grill three times that cruise. We went on both formal nights and also on the last night. We thought the food excellent.

I kept putting in the bag, taking it out of the bag and finally - like you, decided better to have it, just in case. :)

Does HAL offer better choices in the MDR on Formal nights, such as Lobster and or Filet Mignon? Or are those items only available in the PG?

Debbie -

I will email you the menus for both formal nights. For a special occasion such as your DH's birthday, I would recommend the Pinnacle, even if you did it on one of the sea days - Friday perhaps. That way you could get both formal nights in and still have a night in Pinnacle. :)

Debbie -

I will email you the menus for both formal nights. For a special occasion such as your DH's birthday, I would recommend the Pinnacle, even if you did it on one of the sea days - Friday perhaps. That way you could get both formal nights in and still have a night in Pinnacle. :)

Thanks. We will make our choice based on the menu options :)

Thanks for the nice write-up Laura - I think it captures our trip nicely! We enjoyed meeting you.

We dined at the Pinnacle twice for dinner -- Monday, after HMC and then on the last night. One thing that made me go :confused: -- the first time, the lobster bisque was flamed at table side. The second time, the waitress said that the chef had decided the bisque tasted better without the flaming, so no tableside show. Did anyone else experience that? Luckily, the Steak Diane (yummy) was flamed properly both times!

We were on the 11/1 Westerdam and agree with the OP. Our service was impeccable both in the room and at tableside. A little disappointed with the dress code after and during dinner but this seems to be the new wave. We didn't see any shorts in the MDR but the dress for dinner was in many cases much less than smart casual. Maybe the term Smart Casual seems to confuse people. The PG was great and not crowded.

Glad to not be over hassled by bar waiters at poolside scurrying around for drink orders. Only complaint was not so much the chair hogs which is a perennial problem but lack of adequate chairs at the pool. It seemed that there were far fewer chairs than on other cruises. Our embarkation was not great waiting for an hour after checking in but the MDR luncheon for Mariners was a real hit. Indonesian cuisine with some excellent spices. Usually not found on HAL ships. 20-25 ft seas and 40 mph winds - no tendering to Half Moon Cay, canceled. Some wag said that the captain canceled to keep the revenue on the ship, Gee let me think about that. DUH!!!

This ship seemed to weather seas and winds better than a lot of other ships. IMHO.

Were they on the week before us, or was it two weeks before?

I actually like going to Pinnacle on a formal night because it basically 'kills two birds with one stone', so to speak - I brought DH's sport jacket, but in the end we didn't need it by going on a formal night. From now on, on a 7-day cruise I won't be bringing the sport jacket.

I agree ... Pinnacle makes good sense on a formal night. The older we get the harder it is for me to get DH to dress (up;)). And he does all his own packing so I have to trust him:).

It would have to be 2 weeks before ... they sailed 11/1 (I wasn't sure until I saw Woody's post above and remembered the HMC story). Anyway, she mentioned the same name and at the time I thought you'd said a different name. Then I saw your review here and recognized it.

Great review-Thanks. In your opinion was the suite elite package worth the cost? Did you get only 1 coffee card for the 2 of you to share? Still undecided about buying it. Thanks for any info.

We received two coffee cards with the package. Perosnally, I felt it worth the cost. I always buy internet and DH always like the hydrotherapy pool. We usually always eat once in Pinnacle, and we always pre-order liquor and wine for our cabin. Having everything in advance was nice and easy - and we really enjoyed our cooking class, something we'd never tried before. :)

Thanks for the nice write-up Laura - I think it captures our trip nicely! We enjoyed meeting you.

We dined at the Pinnacle twice for dinner -- Monday, after HMC and then on the last night. One thing that made me go :confused: -- the first time, the lobster bisque was flamed at table side. The second time, the waitress said that the chef had decided the bisque tasted better without the flaming, so no tableside show. Did anyone else experience that? Luckily, the Steak Diane (yummy) was flamed properly both times!

We enjoyed meeting you as well. :) Hopefully, we'll meet again. Thanks so much for putting together our M & G - I think we had a pretty nice turn out.

20-25 ft seas and 40 mph winds - no tendering to Half Moon Cay, canceled. Some wag said that the captain canceled to keep the revenue on the ship, Gee let me think about that. DUH!!!

This ship seemed to weather seas and winds better than a lot of other ships. IMHO.

We heard about your sailing from the crew! Sorry you had to miss HMC - but I agree, better to be same than sorry.

I agree ... Pinnacle makes good sense on a formal night. The older we get the harder it is for me to get DH to dress (up;)). And he does all his own packing so I have to trust him:).

That's a lot of "trust" LOL!! The one time Sonny insisted on packing himself - he forgot SO many things, he ended up conceeding that while I may tend to "over pack" he usually always has what he needs. :)

Thanks for the review, I enjoyed it!

We too enjoyed Chef Phillip; both his product from the Pinnacle and especially his cooking class. He is funny, creative and tells some good stories!

Ken

He is quite a character! Loved some of his stories.

We found the food in Pinnacle to be excellent, when we met him, I was surprised he was so young!

For those of you waiting on the menus, I'll try and get them to you today - we had a bad storm yesterday - lots of snow and very cold temps!

My son just called from Afghanistan, said he was a little tired, but overall, doing pretty well. His call made my day. :)

For those of you waiting on the menus, I'll try and get them to you today - we had a bad storm yesterday - lots of snow and very cold temps!

My son just called from Afghanistan, said he was a little tired, but overall, doing pretty well. His call made my day. :)

Thank you so much. Since living down here in Florida, I forget what it was like dealing with the cold and snow up north :o

Thanks to your son and all of our troops who are overseas away from their families - especially during the holidays:)

Thank you so much. Since living down here in Florida, I forget what it was like dealing with the cold and snow up north :o

Thanks to your son and all of our troops who are overseas away from their families - especially during the holidays:)

Thanks Debbie - it will be our second Christmas without him, but it never gets any easier. :) The supplies don't last long over there, anything they get from home, is so greatly appreciated.

I scanned the menus in - look for my email - I may have to do it in groups, otherwise the file may be to large for my email provider.

Thanks Debbie - it will be our second Christmas without him, but it never gets any easier. :) The supplies don't last long over there, anything they get from home, is so greatly appreciated.

I scanned the menus in - look for my email - I may have to do it in groups, otherwise the file may be to large for my email provider.

No email yet :confused:

My address is djp5780 at aol.com

Thanks!

Archived