Thoughts about my 11/20 3 day on the Sky

disneyfan1313

I wanted to do a short report on some of my feelings about our recent 3 day cruise on the NCL Sky out of Miami on 11/20. First of all - a little summary of who we are and what we like so you can put this trip report in perspective.

About Us - 2 early 30s professionals w/o children who try to cruise at least once a year (and sometimes more often!). We have sailed on all the major lines except HAL and our favorite by far is DCL (obvious due to the screen name!). Last time we sailed on NCL was in late '04 on one of the first cruises of the Spirit after it came from Asia. We enjoyed that cruise but had some reservations about service level and the freestyle concept.

The Ship - Overall a very pretty ship that is the perfect size but is starting to be a bit rough around the edges and is not maintained as well as she should be. We loved the Hawaii touches all around the ship and actually wish they had started to remove them. While I realize that Hawaii is an odd theme for a ship that sails in the Bahamas it is better than the mish-mash it it starting to become. You can tell quite a bit of money was pored into the decor with the nice woods and the lush seating in certain areas but the updated stuff is lower quality and it shows.

Room - We had an oceanview near the foreward elevators. No noise issues but the decor in the room should really be updated. Faded prints on the wall, rock hard bed and a TV that looked like it was from when the ship was built. Carpet was in very poor condition along with rusty table legs and a bathroom with the counters and mirrors in poor condition as well.

Service - BOOOO! This really is where NCL falls flat. I don't want/need servers bending over backwards but I would like the same level of service you get in a mid-range hotel or restaurant. Our room steward just grunted at us every time we said "Hi" in the hallway. Our servers in the specialty restaurants were "nice" but not polished at all and really didn't even try to put any flourish on the meal. MDR servers actually did a slightly better job but I shouldn't have to overhear them complaining about other guests as I eat. For some reason it just felt like no one was really trying. Perhaps its the 3 day cruise?

Food - Disappointing. I went in with low expectations having read all the reviews on here...and I left even more disappointed. The worst for us was actually the specialty restaurants - Il Adagio tasted like Fazolis with the service to match. The quality of meats and service in Cagneys were more along the lines of a Lonestar steakhouse where the steak is 10.99 - not $25pp. MDR food was OK quality and more along the quality lines of RCCL with good presentation. We did enjoy the pretzel bread and the 24 hr option of the longboard bar (although the rediculous "you have to sit inside to have food" was a little annoying). I think the best description overall to the food is "Golden Corral" quality with a pretty flair put on it.

Entertainment - NCL did a good job here. Loved the "White Hot Party" and Quest and the main theater shows were good. Cruise director was great. I would like to see more on the ship during port time (we don't really get off in Nassau) but I understand we are in the minority.

Great Stirrup Cay - OMG. I really don't know how to describe it. It is SO far below the quality levels of the other private islands of RCCL, Princess, DCL that it is startling. TINY beach, small falling apart structures and BBQ lunch where your only drink choice is water or coffee.

Overall - For the price paid ($159pp for an oceanview) it really wasn't that bad for a short weekend getaway. We enjoyed the freestyle concept a bit more this time but prefer a slightly more upscale ship and overall feel. This is a party crowd with a lot of heavy drinkers - if this isn't your crowd I would avoid this 3 day escape on the Sky.

Thanks for the review...we have only recently begun our cruise travels and the Sky was our first. Having nothing else to compare it to we were very happy. While I will not pick apart your review I will say that our experience with the service was the total opposite. Our room steward (Fatardo...I think that's what it was!) was great and he not only greeted us with a smile and greeting when we saw him but our room was WELL taken care of. We found all the service in the restaurants to be the same.

I definatly know that the Sky is not one of the best on the sea right now and that she is a bit long in the tooth (while our room did not have rust in the bathroom the TV was bad and the sofa in the room was a bit broken down/worn out)...but for us it was trying the cruise concept to see if we liked it. We did...and for us the freestyle concept not only worked but makes me leary of trying any other cruise line.

Thanks again for your review...while it was short it was very thourough and I think you were fair in your assesments. I just wanted to point out where we had a different experience.

Thanks for the review...we have only recently begun our cruise travels and the Sky was our first. Having nothing else to compare it to we were very happy.

LOL our first cruise was on the SKY, and it knocked our socks off. 6 months later we did a 3 day cruise on a major competitor of NCL. Wow, I thought the second cruise topped the SKY in almost every way. But we're going on the Pearl next summer any way.

Sounds disconcerting to me that the Sky is in such a state of disrepair. I can't wait to board her in a little over one month from now. It sounds like the entertainment is great though and since I spend so little time in the room that's what I go for! :)

GSC in comparison to other private islands really is small but it's just what it's designed to be - a beach stop. That's all the other line's private islands are for too. Some cruise lines just choose to put more things on the island which give them revenue sources ashore than other lines. By far if I had to compare private islands I would say Labadee by far is the best one I've ever been to but in the end they're all just an overglorified beach stop. :cool:

Thanks for your review though. It's balanced for the good and the bad. :)

We were on the Sky the last week of October 2009 and had a great time. IMO the food in the MDR was good, maybe not as spectacular as Princess or Holland, etc., but we always found something. Our stewards have always been nice on every ship we have ever been on, but we always make a point to introduce ourselves and have a repor with our stewards in the beginning. Again there are times when someone is not having a good week or their personality is more subdued . The entertainment was good. We always go for the caribbean water, and you should have gotten off in Nassau. We spent the whole day for free at the Sheraton. It was great! It just cost $1.25 by bus each way pp. Great Stirrup Cay was great for us as we were there for the water not the food. That was just standard for their food, but I agree they should have had ice tea available. This was the first time they did not offer it or lemonade, as I have been there before. You could always get back on the ship for lunch. We feel for what we paid we got a great deal.

I'm sitting here looking out the window at a pile of snow, and I know that when I leave work to go home, I will be enduring -18 C (about 0 F) and shivering all the way to my car. When I get home, I'm going to have to cook my own supper and clean up afterwards. So why am I smiling? I just keep thinking that two weeks from this very moment, I'll be on board the Sky!!

I'm sorry that the OP wasn't entirely thrilled with their Sky 3 nighter. I'll come back and share my own experience after I've had it! :p Right now, though, all I can think of is that there will be no snow, the temperature will be on the other side of 0 (by quite a bit!), I won't have to work, and someone else will be doing the cooking and cleaning!! I can't wait!!! :)

We did a b2b on the Sky last June and I have only great things to say about our experience...

The crew was one of the best we have ever experienced on any NCL ship and we found the food to be very good, wherever we chose to eat...

I believe the Sky maybe worn looking because it is getting so much use now... two cruises a week would make any ship start to look a little haggard... I have to say on our cruise we didn't see much of anything that was looking that worn out...

I have to agree with Cruise Material - Great Stirrup Cay is nothing but a beach stop... we went to the island on our first cruise and we have never been back... we would rather stay on the ship and have it to ourselves for a few hours while everyone goes over to the island...

We did notice a difference in the three day and the four day cruise... there did seem to be a little more drinking and partying on the three day cruise, while the four day cruise seemed to be more laid back... but when you have got only three days - you have got to do a lot of partying to get your money's worth...

Sounds disconcerting to me that the Sky is in such a state of disrepair.

We went in April, just a few days before she was dry docked. I didn't think she looked terribly worn then, certainly not in disrepair. I liked my 2nd ship more, but even so, the SKY had nicer cabins, albeit much smaller cabins.

About Us - 2 early 30s professionals

What are professionals? Professional dog walkers, professional Clowns, Bull riders?

Why are so many people putting things like this lately? If you are a professional burger king fry cook does that put you on a different level than everyone else?:rolleyes:

What are professionals? Professional dog walkers, professional Clowns, Bull riders?

Why are so many people putting things like this lately? If you are a professional burger king fry cook does that put you on a different level than everyone else?:rolleyes:

Always one that doesn't like the review and focuses on the least important part. Instead of thanking the poster for keeping us up to speed on the on a ship that we either have been on, will be on, or are just curious about.

Disneyfan1313, thank you for posting your comments, I found your review very well balanced. I have to agree that there are shortfalls in the food, but as I stated in my review of the Sky, how can I/anyone complain if they get a good deal. For just slightly more then what I will be paying for a night at the Intercontinental Miami, prior to my Feb '10 Jewel cruise, we (2 of us) were able to go for 4 nights on the sky in a balcony cabin.

Will I go back to the Bahamas via the Sky, FOR SURE. I plan on buying a couple of the future cruise certificate for just that, and then watch for a crazy price.

Take care,

jrs101

2003 CCL Triumph, 2004 Cel Millenium, 2004 RCCL ?, 2006 NCL Dawn, 2006 CCL Victory, 2008 CCL Legend, 2009NCL Sky

I just came of a 4-day Sky cruise and knowing pretty much what to expect, I was neither surprised nor disappointed.

My favorite place to eat breakfast every day was at the outdoor cafe. Most of the time it was pretty average buffet food (once the eggs were inedible), but I was prepared to accept it for what it was.

Lunch and dinner happened to be wherever/whenever except for Thanksgiving dinner in the Palace Dining room. That left a bit to be desired but it was ok.

I also had Furtado as my cabin steward and he was very friendly and polite, always greeting me if we ran into each other.

The Hawaiian theme is due to the fact that the ship used to be the Spirit of Aloha (I think) and is NOT a sister ship to the Sun as is widely believed.

There were over 600 kids on board but they were pretty well contained because I saw very few of them and for the most part, those I did see were very well behaved.

Someone made a comment to me about the number of "Wal*Mart" people aboard. My thought was, "oh, you mean regular people just like you and me?"

On the whole, I enjoyed it

I wanted to do a short report on some of my feelings about our recent 3 day cruise on the NCL Sky out of Miami on 11/20. First of all - a little summary of who we are and what we like so you can put this trip report in perspective.

About Us - 2 early 30s professionals w/o children who try to cruise at least once a year (and sometimes more often!). We have sailed on all the major lines except HAL and our favorite by far is DCL (obvious due to the screen name!). Last time we sailed on NCL was in late '04 on one of the first cruises of the Spirit after it came from Asia. We enjoyed that cruise but had some reservations about service level and the freestyle concept.

The Ship - Overall a very pretty ship that is the perfect size but is starting to be a bit rough around the edges and is not maintained as well as she should be. We loved the Hawaii touches all around the ship and actually wish they had started to remove them. While I realize that Hawaii is an odd theme for a ship that sails in the Bahamas it is better than the mish-mash it it starting to become. You can tell quite a bit of money was pored into the decor with the nice woods and the lush seating in certain areas but the updated stuff is lower quality and it shows.

Room - We had an oceanview near the foreward elevators. No noise issues but the decor in the room should really be updated. Faded prints on the wall, rock hard bed and a TV that looked like it was from when the ship was built. Carpet was in very poor condition along with rusty table legs and a bathroom with the counters and mirrors in poor condition as well.

Service - BOOOO! This really is where NCL falls flat. I don't want/need servers bending over backwards but I would like the same level of service you get in a mid-range hotel or restaurant. Our room steward just grunted at us every time we said "Hi" in the hallway. Our servers in the specialty restaurants were "nice" but not polished at all and really didn't even try to put any flourish on the meal. MDR servers actually did a slightly better job but I shouldn't have to overhear them complaining about other guests as I eat. For some reason it just felt like no one was really trying. Perhaps its the 3 day cruise?

Food - Disappointing. I went in with low expectations having read all the reviews on here...and I left even more disappointed. The worst for us was actually the specialty restaurants - Il Adagio tasted like Fazolis with the service to match. The quality of meats and service in Cagneys were more along the lines of a Lonestar steakhouse where the steak is 10.99 - not $25pp. MDR food was OK quality and more along the quality lines of RCCL with good presentation. We did enjoy the pretzel bread and the 24 hr option of the longboard bar (although the rediculous "you have to sit inside to have food" was a little annoying). I think the best description overall to the food is "Golden Corral" quality with a pretty flair put on it.

Entertainment - NCL did a good job here. Loved the "White Hot Party" and Quest and the main theater shows were good. Cruise director was great. I would like to see more on the ship during port time (we don't really get off in Nassau) but I understand we are in the minority.

Great Stirrup Cay - OMG. I really don't know how to describe it. It is SO far below the quality levels of the other private islands of RCCL, Princess, DCL that it is startling. TINY beach, small falling apart structures and BBQ lunch where your only drink choice is water or coffee.

Overall - For the price paid ($159pp for an oceanview) it really wasn't that bad for a short weekend getaway. We enjoyed the freestyle concept a bit more this time but prefer a slightly more upscale ship and overall feel. This is a party crowd with a lot of heavy drinkers - if this isn't your crowd I would avoid this 3 day escape on the Sky.

A little research helps:

The Hawaii decor is on the Sky due to her recent history as part of NCL A sailing the Hawaiian islands (Pride of Aloha).

The ship is one of the older ones in a younger fleet. There is more rust and crap on the Monarch and/or Majesty then on the Sky.

Great Stirr Up Cay is unchanged since the 90s as NCL had no need to upgrade. While RCCL, Disney and Carnival ran the 3 and 4 Night Bahamas cruises with main port being their private islands, GSUC was only used as a stop at the end or beginning of the longer cruises. Now that NCL has returned to the Bahamas market they will improve and develop GSUC. You may have noticed the construction equipment in some areas.

Sorry to hear that your service sucked but I had always an impeccable service on the Sky. Food is subjective but I personally would rate it above RCCL and Carnival (for being in the same market).

BTW, the rule at night to eat inside is two-fold:

a) our dearest fellow passengers started tossing food at night down onto the balconies below which is not nice.

b) Since the Longboard is open until 5:30am they can't interfere with the cleaning of the chairs and tables. They do scrup down every chair leg, table leg etc.

You can always sit out there at night as I have done many times but to make sure that everything is scrubbed down at night (incl pressure cleaning) it is just an inconvinience to have food out there in the middle of the wee hours.

Overall I am sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the Sky. I think the Sky is the best ship out there in the 3 and 4 Night Bahamas market out of Miami.

The Hawaiian theme is due to the fact that the ship used to be the Spirit of Aloha (I think) and is NOT a sister ship to the Sun as is widely believed.

I'm neither looking to split hairs or for an argument. But we went to a future cruises presentation while on-board the SKY. The NCL presenter referred to the SUN and SKY several times as sister ships. So, what makes you say that? (Out of curiosity)

The SKY was originally the SKY. It was transferred to NCLA, and renamed (Pride of Aloha??) When she came back to NCL, she was given back her original name.

A perfectly reasonable question.

I am a travel agent and even our district rep thought the Sky was sister to the Sun. I'm looking at it in terms of cabin categories when booking for my clients.

When I was making my booking through our NCL line, I was looking at my copy of the ship's deck plan and nothing matched the cabin numbers she was giving me. When I asked about this, I was told that I needed to have a deck plan showing the Spirit of Aloha and that they were not actually sister ships. When I went online to check the deckplan for the Sky, it was indeed different from the Sun.

While they are the same in terms of size and general layout, the categories are different. So for anyone looking at the brochure thinking the two ships are identical, and are booking a cabin on the Sun thinking it's the same as the Sky, that's not the case as I found out. What I wanted to book for myself was not going to be the same as what I was actually going to get.

On the Sky, the Outrigger Lounge (which I loved, btw) is forward on the Pool deck. On the Sun there are suites there.

I am a travel agent and even our district rep thought the Sky was sister to the Sun. I'm looking at it in terms of cabin categories when booking for my clients.

When I was making my booking through our NCL line, I was looking at my copy of the ship's deck plan and nothing matched the cabin numbers she was giving me. When I asked about this, I was told that I needed to have a deck plan showing the Spirit of Aloha and that they were not actually sister ships. When I went online to check the deckplan for the Sky, it was indeed different from the Sun.

While they are the same in terms of size and general layout, the categories are different. So for anyone looking at the brochure thinking the two ships are identical, and are booking a cabin on the Sun thinking it's the same as the Sky, that's not the case as I found out. What I wanted to book for myself was not going to be the same as what I was actually going to get.

On the Sky, the Outrigger Lounge (which I loved, btw) is forward on the Pool deck. On the Sun there are suites there.

What's the accepted definition for two ships to be sisters? Identical in every way? If so, I suppose the Sun and Sky would be "cousins" then?

What's the accepted definition for two ships to be sisters? Identical in every way? If so, I suppose the Sun and Sky would be "cousins" then?

Not sure but it is an interesting question.

In the human world identical would be twin sister. Sisters would just be in the same family.

I guess sisters would be OK if they are put in the same class or family.

Sometime you can have different ships in the same class (like the Dawn and Pearl) or on RCCLs side the Vision Class without the ships being identical just maybe having the same tonnage and maybe passenger capacity.

So they all could be sisters with some more alike and others less alike. :D

OP-

Ouch! Sorry you were underwhelmed by the Sky. I must say that was a remarkable price though! $318 for two for 3 nights! Wow! My Dawn CTN for 3 was $1,500. We were in a mini, but what a huge difference. Do you think you got your money's worth? I have a question. I am not trying to be trite, I really am curious... Would you have been happier to have paid more and have less things wrong on your cruise? I just wonder how you and others feel about this?

I do think the two and three night cruises are not representative of NCL and the longer cruises. They are a totally different animal.

A little research helps:

The Hawaii decor is on the Sky due to her recent history as part of NCL A sailing the Hawaiian islands (Pride of Aloha).

I think you both interpreted the OP's comment on the decor differently than I did.

I got the impression she liked the Hawaiian decor, but did not like the mish- mash that has come about because they started to remove the Hawaiian decor. I think they accidentally left of a "not" which made it a bit confusing to read.

To the OP, thank you for your review. I think room stewards are a case by case basis and not dependent on cruise line or ship. I have had great and not so good on the same cruise line.

Norwegian Sky is a Sky class cruise ship owned and operated by Norwegian Cruise Line. She was ordered by Costa Cruises as Costa Olympia from the Bremer Vulkan shipyard in Germany, but she was completed in 1999 by the Lloyd Werft shipyard in Bremerhaven, Germany for the Norwegian Cruise Line under the name Norwegian Sky. Between 2004 and 2008 she sailed as Pride of Aloha for NCL America.

The ship that eventually became known as Norwegian Sky was originally ordered in December 1993 by Costa Cruises from the Bremer Vulkan shipyard in Bremen, Germany as the second in a pair of sister ships. The first sister, Costa Victoria, was delivered in July 1996. Construction of the second sister, Costa Olympia, had started several months before, but by July 1996 Bremer Vulkan was experiencing severe financial difficulties, and work on the Costa Olympia was suspended when only 35% of the ship was completed. On 1996-10-06 the incomplete hull was floated out of drydock and subsequently laid up.[1][2]

Costa Cruises decided not to purchase the unfinished ship, and the Costa Olympia remained laid up at Bremer Vulkan until December 1997, when Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) purchased her. The Costa Olympia was redesigned as the Norwegian Sky by Tillberg Design (who had also been responsible for her original planned design as Costa Olympia).[1] On 1998-03-08 the ship was towed to Lloyd Werft in Bremerhaven, Germany where her construction was completed.[2] In 1998 NCL ordered two additional ships of the Norwegian Sky design. The first of these was delivered in 2001 as the Norwegian Sun while the order for the second one was cancelled.[1] The Norwegian Sky underwent her sea trials on 1999-06-17, and was delivered to NCL on 1999-06-28.[2]

The Sky and the Sun are the same class designed ship, this makes them sister ships.

three day cruises are exactly what you say, great for the short get away and great for the party crowd. The shorter the cruise the younger the passengers and the bigger the party group. I have only been to GSC once, about 3 years ago. It was ok, but I agree, not much.

Nita

Strange. Sky must have had a complete makeover between 11/20 and 11/30: new crew, new chefs, new everything. georgiajersey encountered none of the difficulties that this disney fan did. Quite an undertaking by NCL to make all those changes in such a short time.;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1100612

That review is titled "Great!"

Strange. Sky must have had a complete makeover between 11/20 and 11/30: new crew, new chefs, new everything. georgiajersey encountered none of the difficulties that this disney fan did. Quite an undertaking by NCL to make all those changes in such a short time.;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1100612

That review is titled "Great!"

Let's see - suite passenger verses regular passenger, also, the other review doesn't really get into much detail other than to say her $25 service charge steak at Cagney's was better than a $12.95 steak at Outback. i would hope so. Maybe she has a really bad Outback as well. Who know?

You seem to be sitting around waiting to slap down anyone who has an opinion that is not 100% pro NCL.

I for one appreciate the detail and the positive and negative things listed by the OP.

Let's see - suite passenger verses regular passenger, also, the other review doesn't really get into much detail other than to say her $25 service charge steak at Cagney's was better than a $12.95 steak at Outback. i would hope so. Maybe she has a really bad Outback as well. Who know?

You seem to be sitting around waiting to slap down anyone who has an opinion that is not 100% pro NCL.

I for one appreciate the detail and the positive and negative things listed by the OP.

i don't take his comments the same way you do: I think the thing to remember, she is a Disney fan, of course everyone including you has to take what she says with a grain of salt: no way can you compare NCL or any other mass marketed line with Disney, they are heads above but the price is as well.

Nita

i don't take his comments the same way you do: I think the thing to remember, she is a Disney fan, of course everyone including you has to take what she says with a grain of salt: no way can you compare NCL or any other mass marketed line with Disney, they are heads above but the price is as well.

Nita

Thanks, Nita. That was the point. The OP's comments were in many cases over the top. A ship can't be a disaster one week and "great" the next. No way.

The food is the same, suite or inside cabin, alwalaska. No mention of $12.95 in georgiajersey's posting, but I see you are as sarcastic and negative as disney fan and equally fond of exaggerating. Some people just have to show how superior they are by making "their" cruise line look so special. Disney better be at their rip-off prices. Say hello to Goofy for me.:rolleyes:

Archived