"Knock-Off purses" on Western Carib. Cruise

NKG6002

My stay at home daughter is requesting a souvenir "knock-ff" designer purse from our cruise. Which port (Cozumel,Belize,Roatan,Grand Cayman) is the best to shop for them ? Any tips on "haggling" for the best price ? Any tips in general ? Thanks in advance !:)

My stay at home daughter is requesting a souvenir "knock-ff" designer purse from our cruise. Which port (Cozumel,Belize,Roatan,Grand Cayman) is the best to shop for them ? Any tips on "haggling" for the best price ? Any tips in general ? Thanks in advance !:)

Those hunks of junk are not cheap. Expect to pay $45 and up. You can find them at most ports. Ask for their best price then offer lower.

Don't expect durability.

Also, expect a *possible* problem with Customs, since these bags are illegal. ;)

I say "possible" because I'm sure some people get them back with no problem, but I watched a woman get the two she purchased confiscated and she was led away by a Customs supervisor to "discuss restitution options". I didn't know her (she was just in line in front of me), so I have no idea how it turned out from there. But, I know there's absolutely no way I'd try it. I'm a photographer, so I feel very strongly about copyright and trademark infringements! :)

Also, expect a *possible* problem with Customs, since these bags are illegal. ;)

I say "possible" because I'm sure some people get them back with no problem, but I watched a woman get the two she purchased confiscated and she was led away by a Customs supervisor to "discuss restitution options". I didn't know her (she was just in line in front of me), so I have no idea how it turned out from there. But, I know there's absolutely no way I'd try it. I'm a photographer, so I feel very strongly about copyright and trademark infringements! :)

I don't care one whit about the copyright/trademark infringement. I say don't buy them because they are junk.

For the price they charge, you would think it would be a fairly good product, after all, you can go to walmart and buy an $8 purse and it will last for years.

But they know people will buy them because of the stolen name on the bag, so they know there is no need to spend anything on quality.

Of the mentioned ports, I've been to GC and Coz...Paid exactly $45 for a "coach" in Coz. We looked at one at the pier shops, asked what was the best they could do they said $120. DW put it on her shoulder and looked in the mirror and decided she wasn't interested. As we were walking out, the guy said if we change our mind on the way back, he can do $60 and not a penny lower. We then went downtown and found one that she liked better. Starting price was $150, after two minutes of negotiating he wouldn't go lower than $100. I than said forget it, I'll just get the one by the port. I was asked how much he charged, I lied and said $50, and they sold it to me for $45.

I know another couple who bought one for the same price in GC.

The second time she used it, the seam holding the zipper on came undone. I spent hours trying to find an alteration place who would work on it, problem is the zipper attaches to leather/pleather, so you need a place that has a machine that can work on leather. Only found one who charged $28 which included a new zipper. He also explained why they aren't durable and it's seams, our bag only had single stitching. They said for $35 he could do more stitching which would make it last forever.

$45 for the bag, $28 for the zipper, $35 more stitching for a fake bag...lol

Why on earth would anyone risk having problems with customs when you can get a better quality knock-off bag in just about any city in the US, or even ebay. :confused:

The same reason people go on a cruise to buy jewerly or electronics. In their mind, they think they get a better price.

Why on earth would anyone risk having problems with customs when you can get a better quality knock-off bag in just about any city in the US, or even ebay. :confused:

Because.... I wanted to do it just once. My knock off was a Prada - starting price $140.00 by the time I got out the door $45.00 - best purse I ever owned and not a stitch (pun intended) of problems. I still have it 6 years later. I got mine in Belize at the port mall.

$45 for a $400 handbag. If a female buys one and actually wears it off the ship, she has a better chance of getting struck by lightning while winning the lottery than she has of getting caught.

If you buy ten of them and list them on your customs form, that odds are against you. :)

for the best price, have only a small amount of cash in your pocket say $30-$40. When they ask how much you can pay pull it out and show them that is the only cash you have with you. They either want to sell it bad enough to give it to you for that price, or you can go to the next person.

1. They are junk!

2. You are supporting criminals. They may be independent criminals but that's unlikely. More likely they have ties to the drug trade and/or terrorists.

3. Your daughter is taught that being a phony has your blessing!

Image is NOTHING!

Integrity is everything!

NOT a $400 bag for $45. More like a $2 fake made with sweatshop/child labor for $45!!!

Never understand the pleasure in that???:confused:

That's because you don't understand manufacturing. The $400 handbag are made in sweatshops with child labor like 90% of everything else America buys. $400 or $45 handbag cost nearly the same to make as far as materials and labor.

I wouldn't be surprised if more than 50% of the materials on a cruiseline ship were made in sweatshops by child labor. :)

Not passing judgement on anyone, but, most people who know the real thing can spot a fake from ten feet. My son has become an expert on spotting fakes. We manage foreclosures as a business and run across this stuff a lot in cleaning out houses that have been foreclosed on. He can spot Fraudas, Poaches, Fakeleys (okay these are sunglasses) and YSL's (Y Steal Labels) and the like. We have researched online checking the authenticity of many handbags (almost all have been fakes) and there are many little clues that will tip off an observant person.

I see some of us don't agree on the differance between "knock off" and "counterfeit." Many of us use the terms interchangeably, but they are different. A "knock off" looks similar to the original on purpose. But it will have the design changed enough so that it's legally different enough so as to not en crouch on trademarks or intellectual rights. It will be properly tagged with manufacturers labels. A counterfeit is of course, when a manufacturer directly copies an original design and uses the name and brand of the original.

If your daughter wants a knock off, buy her one. You'll all be happy. Counterfeit does of course come with possible legal and moral consequences. You can't bring them into the country, can't mail them, can't even posses them.

You can be delayed in customs, be recorded as smuggling in illegal merchandise, forced to pay a fine or worse. Buy a coach purse at an outlet mall in the US. For a hundred bucks you can get a purse that will last for years. TJ Maxx and other discounters sometimes have better line purses discounted too. You really do not get many great deals now especially with the weak dollar in the islands or Mexico. I've taken 3 cruises in 09 and I live in a big city that has a jeweler area of many stores. In jewerly row here you can get better prices than what I saw in Mexico and the islands this year. And in the US you pay sales taxes but are guanteed that what you buy is real. I would not throw my money away on a knock off purse that will fall apart in a short time of use.

Image is NOTHING!

Integrity is everything!

My daughter is 39 years old, a good, honest, sensitive, self-less, caring daughter, sister,wife, mother and friend who has an autistic son that she is raising using the same qualities. I doubt very much I need to teach her anything about integrity or image...she knows more about that than most people do.

Everyone--the OP didn't ask for a lecture on values/crime/illegality of fake bags/child labor etc--they just asked for advice on how to get one. If you can't give that--why post? It's THEIR vacation-if they want a fake bag, let them have it.

I wouldn't encourage my daughter to aid and abet criminals, but hey, that's just me. :cool:

Image is NOTHING!

Integrity is everything!

My daughter is 39 years old, a good, honest, sensitive, self-less, caring daughter, sister,wife, mother and friend who has an autistic son that she is raising using the same qualities. I doubt very much I need to teach her anything about integrity or image...she knows more about that than most people do.

ummmm, but she still wants a knockoff purse?

Just buy her a real one and keep her honesty and integrity in place. Job done.

Everyone--the OP didn't ask for a lecture on values/crime/illegality of fake bags/child labor etc--they just asked for advice on how to get one. If you can't give that--why post? It's THEIR vacation-if they want a fake bag, let them have it.

Finally, a voice of reason. I hate when people feel the need to post everything except what the OP was asking.

I think what people have posted here is knowledge on the subject. Knowledge about it that some people do not know. (no one can know everything)

Are you against knowledge?

For example, I think it would be a disservice to the OP not to let her know that the bag could be taken away from her in customs. I also think she should be told they are basically junk. What do you think?

Archived