What happened to St. Thomas?

pharaoh

Hi, everyone!

I'm not new to cruising (or to this forum), although I haven't been on either one in quite a while. I'm currently planning my first cruise in nearly 8 years (and my first one as a full-fledged adult! Yay!). All I know right now is that it will most likely be a 7-nighter on LoS, and it will most likely be towards the near-beginning of the school year 2010. I'm horrendously excited, lemme tell you.

I've noticed, though, that Charlotte Amalie in St Thomas isn't really offered as a port anymore on cruises leaving from sunny Miami. Unless I'm missing something, which is possible.

St. Thomas was always my family's favorite destination, I'm saddd. Does anyone know why it seems to be missing from the itineraries?

Only plus side is that since our favorite port is missing, we're probably gonna hit the western Caribbean for the first time EVER. EVER!! That's gonna be awesome!

Anyway, what's been going on with RCI in the past 8 years or so, besides the obvious? Tell me everything, I'm practically a cruising virgin again. hahah

Look again ..St.Thomas is still a port for RCCL...8night INDY out of FLL Eastern Caribbean is our favorite..

Oh, I see. Thank you for pointing that out. 8 nights is one night too many, unfortunately (traveling with my mother, who will be taking time off from the school year), and there isn't a sailing available in my chosen month. Poop.

Oh well. St. Thomas will have to wait, I guess!

Although you may not find an RCI ship sailing to STT from MIA, there are others that do including the Norwegian Epic and Carnival Liberty. Best way to find out what ships do hit STT is pull up a site like cruisecal and the port of STT for the time frame you are looking at. You will find quite a few, but a lot that depart from FLL and Port Canaveral, even as far away as NYC.

I have a suspicion that RCCL pulled some ships out of St. Thomas to make room for the Oasis and Allure. St. Thomas is one of the few places that ships that large can dock.

That is, if they ever are permitted to finish the dredging operation... It is being held up by environmental groups with support from many politicians.

Right now, Oasis' temporary home is near Crown Bay Center where temporary facilities are being set up for it.

That is' date=' if they ever are permitted to finish the dredging operation... It is being held up by environmental groups with support from many politicians.

Right now, Oasis' temporary home is near Crown Bay Center where temporary facilities are being set up for it.[/quote']

So, one way or another, whether at Havensight or Crown Bay, St. Thomas will be on the Oasis'itinerary.:) Isn't it interesting that only a few days ago there were posts complaining about the fact that so many cruiseships go to the same old ports (including St. Thomas) and now we read someone's post fearing that St. Thomas has been eliminated from RCI itineraries. Must be fun to be in charge of setting up itineraries that will satisfy everyone. :rolleyes: :)

Oh, I see. Thank you for pointing that out. 8 nights is one night too many, unfortunately (traveling with my mother, who will be taking time off from the school year), and there isn't a sailing available in my chosen month. Poop.

Oh well. St. Thomas will have to wait, I guess!

The 8 nighter leaves on Saturday and gets back on Sunday. We are going the end of this week, and both my sons are only missing a partial work day. If they took red-eyes, they could work all day Friday. So, they are only missing one week of work, plus a partial day.

That is' date=' if they ever are permitted to finish the dredging operation... It is being held up by environmental groups with support from many politicians.

Right now, Oasis' temporary home is near Crown Bay Center where temporary facilities are being set up for it.[/quote']

Actually the dredging is NOT being held up due to this reason. It was decided due to the locals being against the dumping of the dredge in Lindbergh Bay that they would find another suitable place to put the dredge material. Besides, if it were not to happen, then Crown Bay would become permanent. The locals are not going to allow a ship this size to pull out without a fight.

Thank you all for the resources and information, especially to pcur, who mentioned the embark/debarkation days for the 8-nighters. I didn't realize that previously! The only thing now is that the 8-nighter we're interested in doesn't leave out of South Florida, but Port Canaveral isn't that far from home, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm so excited! This will be my first cruise in nearly 8 years, and it'll be my mom's first cruise in over ten years! TEN! Incredible.

I did not know they were still working on that! I assumed that everything was set for the Oasis! I bet that is causing lots of problems.

Actually the dredging is NOT being held up due to this reason. It was decided due to the locals being against the dumping of the dredge in Lindbergh Bay that they would find another suitable place to put the dredge material. Besides, if it were not to happen, then Crown Bay would become permanent. The locals are not going to allow a ship this size to pull out without a fight.

Actually, it IS being held up for environmental reasons...... The National Wildlife Federation, the Virgin Island Conservation Society, the Environmental Association of St. Thomas-St. John filed papers a while ago. The fear is the damage to Lindburgh Bay, the intended dump sight. Living coral reefs are in jeopardy in the Bay and the nearby Flat Cay. In addition, sea turtles who inhabit Lindburgh Bay are a protected species.

While permits have been issued, the appeals by many organizations have halted the entire project.

I agree that St. Thomas will benefit financially by the arrival of Oasis. I just don't believe that they will permit the destruction of living reefs, disrupting sea turles and other living things will be permitted.

Crown Bay would be a good alternative.

Personally, I will avoid St. Thomas like the plague on the days when Oasis is in port. It's bad enough now.

..>>SNIP<<...

Personally' date=' I will avoid St. Thomas like the plague on the days when Oasis is in port. It's bad enough now.[/quote']

Not to mention the new Carnival Dream with 4200 + people.

As long as the arrivals are staggered, most ports can handle the huge flows. Only at a tender port like Grand Cayman do you have nightmare scenarios.

Hi, everyone!

I'm not new to cruising (or to this forum), although I haven't been on either one in quite a while. I'm currently planning my first cruise in nearly 8 years (and my first one as a full-fledged adult! Yay!). All I know right now is that it will most likely be a 7-nighter on LoS, and it will most likely be towards the near-beginning of the school year 2010. I'm horrendously excited, lemme tell you.

I've noticed, though, that Charlotte Amalie in St Thomas isn't really offered as a port anymore on cruises leaving from sunny Miami. Unless I'm missing something, which is possible.

St. Thomas was always my family's favorite destination, I'm saddd. Does anyone know why it seems to be missing from the itineraries?

Only plus side is that since our favorite port is missing, we're probably gonna hit the western Caribbean for the first time EVER. EVER!! That's gonna be awesome!

Anyway, what's been going on with RCI in the past 8 years or so, besides the obvious? Tell me everything, I'm practically a cruising virgin again. hahah

Lots of RCI 7 day cruises visit there, just not from Miami.

Oasis, Ft Lauderdale

Freedom, Pt Canaveral

Adventure, San Juan

Serenade, San Juan

Archived