Recent Carnival Elation Review

san diego spartan

I am set to sail on the Elation in a few days. I am very excited about this cruise. Several members of my family will be joining us, some who have never cruised before.

I just read a recently posted review of the Elation, from a woman who apparently ran from the ship before it even departed. She and her traveling companion (sister I believe) sounded like they were booked in a suite category, and had extremely terrible things to say about the ship's condition and the cabin's condition. This lady also had some derrogatory comments about the fellow passengers, so perhaps I shouldn't listen to her other complaints??

While I tend to read the reviews with an open mind, recognizing that you can't please everyone all the time and that some people are easier going than others and others are more picky, my concern is that these people never actually sailed, they left with their luggage before the ship departed port in San Diego apparently based on their impression that the ship was too horrible to stay on for a few days.

So what I'm trying to obtain is some feedback from others. Has anyone been on the Elation within the last few months? Are the cabins really in the condition this lady stated? I really want my family to enjoy this cruise and I'll be bummed if their reaction is to run.

Thank you.

The Elation is a great ship! I have sailed on her 5 times and hope to do it once more before she leaves San Diego. I have never had a bad experience on the ship, with the crew, or food or anything! Some people are hard to please though... Living in San Diego makes me a go with the flow kinda gal.... Nothing but fun on the Elation! Put your fears to rest and enjoy!

I would be very interested in reading this woman's review to find out what she was saying about the Elation. My mom and I just sailed in September and had a wonderful time! It was my mom's first cruise on Carnival (she had sailed another line previously) and was thoroughly impressed with it. I enjoyed the decor much more over the Fantasy class ship Sensation and my mom took tons of pictures of the inside. I never felt that it was dirty or damaged; in fact, my mom is an early riser and she noted when she would go up on deck to walk around just how much cleaning she observed. I will say that the terminal in the port isn't the best (especially after experiencing the nice, new one in Miami in May! :D) but the views of the harbor once on board were exceptional! We had an OV cabin and really enjoyed our room. The food was good and the staff were very helpful and friendly :D I would take whatever this lady said with a grain of salt! You will like the Elation so have a great time!! :p

The atrium of the Elation

IMG_0571.jpg

Lido Deck pool

IMG_0653.jpg

Our room

IMG_0992.jpg

Just found the review that you are talking about. WOW! We've been on the Elation twice this past year and didn't encounter the mess this gal did. I happen to like the "........ old beaten up ferry boat that dares to call itself a cruise ship........."

She is an older ship. Smaller and does not have all the bells & whistles. The Suites were redone in her last drydock in Dec 08.

We are going on her again in March.

Thank you for the photos and the responses from those who have been on the Elation recently. From the photos the ship appears fine and certainly not in the condition referred to in the review. The review was so over the top, that I had to stop and think to myself that she really couldn't be that off....but I hope she is.

We are still looking forward to the cruise!

Thank you for the photos and the responses from those who have been on the Elation recently. From the photos the ship appears fine and certainly not in the condition referred to in the review. The review was so over the top, that I had to stop and think to myself that she really couldn't be that off....but I hope she is.

We are still looking forward to the cruise!

I promise you that the she was really that off! And remember not to believe everything you read!!! I've read cruise reviews where someone called their cruise awful and disappointing and it was due to something minor like water and dirt on their balcony ... IT'S A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!

Just found the review that you are talking about.

LOL! I just found it too........it totally had to be a troll......or a Royal Champion......they took their luggage and rolled off the ship.........they forgot to mention their luggage was with the porters:D

OP I have sailed on the Elation 3 times and it's a great ship! Good luck!

I have been on the Elation twice, last year and a few years back. She is one of the most beautiful ships I have been on. It was clean and tastefully decorated. The crew is by far one of the best, friendly and efficient. Just my experience, but I have some incredible memories, and hope you will too. There is just no pleasing some people.

LOL! I just found it too........it totally had to be a troll......or a Royal Champion......they took their luggage and rolled off the ship.........they forgot to mention their luggage was with the porters:D

OP I have sailed on the Elation 3 times and it's a great ship! Good luck!

I liked her CC name.:p I'm surprised she didn't complain about the size of the balcony.

I am set to sail on the Elation in a few days. I am very excited about this cruise. Several members of my family will be joining us, some who have never cruised before.

I just read a recently posted review of the Elation, from a woman who apparently ran from the ship before it even departed. She and her traveling companion (sister I believe) sounded like they were booked in a suite category, and had extremely terrible things to say about the ship's condition and the cabin's condition. This lady also had some derrogatory comments about the fellow passengers, so perhaps I shouldn't listen to her other complaints??

While I tend to read the reviews with an open mind, recognizing that you can't please everyone all the time and that some people are easier going than others and others are more picky, my concern is that these people never actually sailed, they left with their luggage before the ship departed port in San Diego apparently based on their impression that the ship was too horrible to stay on for a few days.

So what I'm trying to obtain is some feedback from others. Has anyone been on the Elation within the last few months? Are the cabins really in the condition this lady stated? I really want my family to enjoy this cruise and I'll be bummed if their reaction is to run.

Thank you.

LOL, it is in fine condition. There are a few issues, but it is nothing serious. I thought food was the issue... but we survived. :)

Has anyone been on the Elation within the last few months? Are the cabins really in the condition this lady stated?

I just came off the Elation yesterday. I can still feel the pitch and roll of the ship as I type. I miss it already.

I was in a cat 11 balcony room (V2) and it was absolutely perfect. The steward took great care of me. I even got a brand new bed on day 3 (they were systematically replacing the beds in all cabins).

Here's a "hot off the press" pic for you. The walrus and the pig became great friends. ;)

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=451684640&albumID=1341099&imageID=17325980

I just came off the Elation yesterday. I can still feel the pitch and roll of the ship as I type. I miss it already.

I was in a cat 11 balcony room (V2) and it was absolutely perfect. The steward took great care of me. I even got a brand new bed on day 3 (they were systematically replacing the beds in all cabins).

Here's a "hot off the press" pic for you. The walrus and the pig became great friends. ;)

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=451684640&albumID=1341099&imageID=17325980

Imaboo - thanks for the current update and photo. Some of my family are in the cabins near V2 - so hopefully they will have new beds as well!! My DH and I are down on the bottom on Rivera deck. I've decided to put that bad review out of my mind. I did not even mention it to my family so are not to worry them. We are all excited. Well have to go pack now. Can't wait.

Imaboo - thanks for the current update and photo. Some of my family are in the cabins near V2 - so hopefully they will have new beds as well!! My DH and I are down on the bottom on Rivera deck. I've decided to put that bad review out of my mind. I did not even mention it to my family so are not to worry them. We are all excited. Well have to go pack now. Can't wait.

You're very welcome. Have a great cruise!

I just read it I don't know what she is talking about. We were on the Elation for a 5 night cruise 1 year ago. It was great, the food (buffet, Lido and MDR), the ship, staff, all of it. It was very clean and well maintained. I cannot imagine it would have gone downhill that much in 1 year.

There were some people on the cruise that were not my cup of tea, but I did not hang out with them. You need to know what you are in for. My mom has been on HA twice with her boyfriend and she told me there is no way he would like Carnival. My group, age 39 to 75, had a great time. We are booked on the Spirit for January. If you are looking for a fancy/uppity/dressed up all the time crowd, this probably will not be it. But if you are looking for a fun time this is for you. My guess is she is like my Mom's boyfriend and Carnival may just not be for her.

One note about the suites, when we were on the Elation, people did complain about some of the suites needing to be updated and broken items in them. It seems all the regular cabins and some suites had been redone but not some of the suites. We heard they were going to redo the suites during what was at the time the next dry dock. I don't know if that happened, but if not that could be part of the issue.

Also, this cruise is out of San Diego. On the short cruises my guess is most people are from the area. In Southern California people tend to dress pretty casually so that tends to carry over on the ship. Overall people were dressed nicer for diner in the MDR and even nicer on formal night but some were not.

I would go on the Elation again in a heart beat!

Jen in SoCal

Thank you.

As we are going to be cruising with you, all these comments have put my mind to rest also. We are just looking to get away for the holiday and relax after the shopping and gift giving extravaganza that we've been going through for the last couple of weeks. How could a cruise be bad?? You are at sea with nothing but quiet and people to serve you when you want. My kind of vacation anytime..:D:D

I was looking for this thread but can't find it anyone have link? We will soon be sailing on her for the second time and would like to see it LOL

Here you go:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=60551

It might have been a student working on a creative writing assignment:rolleyes:.

Archived