How many famous people should I expect to meet?

Mr. Y

There was some professional basketball player on our last Legend cruise. I don't remember his name because I don't follow pro basketball but other folks were commenting on him. I saw his wife and family enjoying themselves while he kept it low-key.

So...I'd say you have a good chance of meeting 1 "semi" famous individual. :D

We met Marcellino Lopez on a Costa Cruise. He was kind enough to let my very young son and daughter try on his World Series Champion Baseball ring. Scared me to death we were on a tender boat returning from a tour on Dominica and the waves were pretty strong. I worried the kids would drop the huge ring and it would bounce out of the boat. He didn't seem worried. He invited my kids up to the top deck where there was a batting cage and spend a couple of hours working with them on batting tips. Heck of a nice guy.

On Carnival? Slim to none on the possibilities..

Have there been celebrities on Carnival? Yes, but rarely.

Even if you do,,, PLEASE leave them alone. They're just trying to realx and have a good time with their family just like you. (Unless of course their celebrity status is what the theme around the cruise is all about)

Even if I could be a celebrity and famous, I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay the price of losing my ananimity and privacy.

A few years ago some friends and I were walking in the Village in NYC. Two of the 4 of us were locals to NYC. As we walked I knew we had just passed Willem Dafoe (who's work I really enjoy). I said, "Holy crap, that was Willem Dafoe!" And one of the local friends said, "Yes, but we don't bother the stars." I said, "The hell you say! When am I ever going to get the chance to say hi to Willem Dafoe again in my life???" So I turned around and went and said, "Excuse me, I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your work and I am really happy to meet you in person." He asked if I had a favorite, I told him it was hard to pick but loved him in "To Live and Die in LA" and "The English Patient", though it was hard to top his work in "Finding Nemo", which had just come out. This got a chuckle out of him and we ended up having about a 45 minute conversation right there on the street. He was very down to earth and we talked about a number of things, including a lot about me too (he was absolutely not one of those, "it's all about me" kinda people to be sure). As I walked away my friends were standing there with their jaws hanging open that, that had just transpired. They couldn't believe it.

While I'm sure that some stars are the "Don't bother me, can't you see how important I am here," kind of people, I suspect most of them are very down to earth, nice people. And furthermore, I'm sorry, but if you are a celebrity and you don't want to be bothered for pictures or autographs, you do NOT sail around on a mass production cruiseline, like NCL, RCCL, or Carnival. You sail Cunard, Crystal, Regent, etc. Or better yet, pack your family up and head to a private island somewhere. I think that celebrities have grown to expect that they are going to be noticed and approached. If they hate it, IMHO, they should get out of the kitchen :p

Charo was on our Freedom of the Seas cruise. She was the featured entertainer but she also was very friendly with folks out and about and was happy to have her picture taken. I didn't know until her show that she was a classically trained guitarist.

As a single man, I've been trying to meet this girl named Dorothy who gets her name in every Cruise ship newspaper whenever I travel, but whenever I go to her meetings, there's so many other guys there looking for her, I figure what's the use . . . .;)

As a single man, I've been trying to meet this girl named Dorothy who gets her name in every Cruise ship newspaper whenever I travel, but whenever I go to her meetings, there's so many other guys there looking for her, I figure what's the use . . . .;)

Now that's funny!

I heard that at one of those meetings, a passenger named Dorothy came, thinking it ws a fun party for her.

One of The Platters was the entertainer on one cruise. I got his sweat rag after the show.

I worked at a TV station and put makeup on Hubert Humphrey, nice guy, Ted Kennedy, grouch. I lightly punched Muhammed Ali in the arm. Bad move. I thought he was going to kill me.

Brian Ross worked there too and he was a pompous a$$.

I live in Connecticut and am in NYC quite often. I have seen many celebrities out on the street and in restaurants and stores . Almost all have been very friendly when you stop and say Hi.

Maybe 9 years ago, we saw Walter Cronkite standing on the sidewalk in front of The Russian Tea Room. We walked over to him and kindly asked if we could just shake his hand and tell him what a pleasure it was to meet him. What a perfect gentlemen! Made our day! ;)

The next day, we were walking into a theater and the sidewalk was mobbed. I walked out into the street and crashed right into Regis Philbin. We were both startled, then laughed. Too funny.

Many years ago I shared an elevator with Barbra Streisand. She was VERY nice. So was Shirley Temple-Black, who at the time was an Ambassador.

I've met some celebrities who were nice, and some who were NOT so nice (i.e. Kate Jackson & now ex-husband Andrew Stevens, and also Al Pacino).

But I agree with the poster who said that it's surprising how much smaller they are in person (literally and figuratively). ;)

Sharon :D

My aunt met Streisand on several occasions and found her to be very very pleasent (granted it was a business setting and not some some fan hounding her.)

Lena Horne was one of the rudest.

Ethel Merman was always friendly and nice but she had the FILTHIEST mouth and told the best dirty jokes *LOL*

Mr. Bean

Good to hear you will be cruising with me and my hosses. Never heard of Lattimore, but maybe one of my hosses has. I'm more of a Jack hoss when it comes to shot, but I'm sure the fine bartender can mix it up for us. Mr. Bean, I'm glad that you informed me that someone famous will be on the cruise. I always enjoy sharing a conversation and a drink with a celebrity.

Thanks gang for all your help about the famous people that cruise carnival.

What's up hoss. Can't believe so many people have never heard the term "hoss" before. Wish I was on your sailing, you sound like a good time. I'll do a shot of Jack in honor of Mr Y on my next sailing. Take it easy hoss.

Could somebody explain to me what is a "Hoss?" Is that like a horse or what? I am sincere. Have no clue what it means. Thanks.

I think you are the first one to admit it or most others don't care. Might be an inside joke for Texans (??) -- my guess is it is kind of like Australians say "mate" for a friend or buddy.

Mr. Y: Care to enlighten us? And notwithstanding your bathroom humor ... I actually have found you rather amusing.

• 1 month later...

We just got off Liberty 1/30/10. While onboard there was a guy telling everyone who would listen he was the French version of American idol. I mean everyone who passed him he had to tell them. I saw him sign stuff and take pictures. I never got his name but heard he did the Legends show. I did not go I am not a fan of the Legends shows. I should of to see him.

Of course almost as soon as we got back I had to try and look him up. There is not a lot of pictures or info on the show but from what I do see he was not one of them. I had a feeling he was just a attention getter anyway. He did his best to always be seen.

Goes to show you can be anyone when you want to be. Next year we are going to say my hubby is a little known professional athelte.:cool:

very good

Now that's funny!

I heard that at one of those meetings, a passenger named Dorothy came, thinking it ws a fun party for her.

LMAO!! I remember seeing this on one of our cruise capers. I said to my hubby, maybe we should go and see what this is about....he said no you wouldn't be interested...LOL!

If I were famous, I think that I would cruise on one of the older ships in a really regular cabin, in order to relax and have a vacation from the fame! I would not have an entourage and when asked if I was so and so, I would reply "I wish! I get that all the time."

LMAO

I almost peed myself :p

Archived