Currant Gem Cruise Director

uneamie

OK...maybe now is a good time to ask who the current cruise director is on the Gem. Since we are heading out for our 10 day Caribbean on Jan 3rd, I thought it was close enough to our cruise date to know for sure who he or she will be.....do they even have "female" cruise directors?

Any hoo.....who might it be and are they good. Thanks! :D

OK...maybe now is a good time to ask who the current cruise director is on the Gem. Since we are heading out for our 10 day Caribbean on Jan 3rd, I thought it was close enough to our cruise date to know for sure who he or she will be.....do they even have "female" cruise directors?

We just got off the Gem yesterday and Andy Steinhauser was the cruise director.

Yes we have had a couple of female cruise directors on NCL.

Have a great trip if I don't catch you before you leave. Let me know how the AF is.

Yes we have had a couple of female cruise directors on NCL.

Have a great trip if I don't catch you before you leave. Let me know how the AF is.

Thanks....I will come back and probably give a short review of our cruise and let you know about our AF. ;)

We had an AF (mini suite) cabin. I will try to attach a few photos of them to this post.

Thanks for posting those Bride Maven....tell me if you can remember, was there any kind of "mirror" on that desk next to the TV....a place for a lady to put her make up on? I am considering bringing my own if there is non there because I do not like doing so in the bathroom.

Thanks for posting those Bride Maven....tell me if you can remember, was there any kind of "mirror" on that desk next to the TV....a place for a lady to put her make up on? I am considering bringing my own if there is non there because I do not like doing so in the bathroom.

The mini suites have a few mirrors including one near the TV. There is also a small table near the door with a mirror over it and a full length mirror near the bathroom.

One of the main differences between a mini suite and a smaller cabin is the size of its bathroom which includes a tub.

The mini suites have a few mirrors including one near the TV. There is also a small table near the door with a mirror over it and a full length mirror near the bathroom.

One of the main differences between a mini suite and a smaller cabin is the size of its bathroom which includes a tub.

Thanks...guess there's no need to pack one.

We just got off the Gem yesterday and Andy Steinhauser was the cruise director.
Thanks for your reply....how was he?
He was pretty good.

I think everyone is aware of my opinion as to the identity of the greatest cruise director in the universe (there was a vote). However, that I compare all cruise directors with Mr. Ray Carr, is irrelevant to my opinion about Dandy Andy Steinhauser.

If you're looking for a cruise director who is a superficial cheer leader, Dandy Andy has the golden pom-poms! He is over-the-top bubbly when on stage and in public, but when you speak to him one-on-one it's clear that he has no interest in actually knowing you.

This was evident when My Lee and I did the b2b this month. It was Gem's 13-day repo followed by 7 days in the Bahamas. Now, if you know me, you know that I like to introduce myself to the cruise director and give him (or her) a fair shot. That Andy set up a talent show was a point in his column (I like to play the piano on the main stage, hence "Pianoman.")

However, when we got back on board for the second leg of the b2b, we greeted him and he happily bubbled that he had "all new trivia questions for us." Now, My Lee and I do a lot of things on board. We LOVE Bingo (because it's Bingo-tastic!). We gamble. We shop in the stores. We've even been known to check out the Newlywed-not-so-newlywed game. And let's not leave out Karaoke and Karaoke Idol.... We do not do trivia. For 13 days we'd been on the Gem. We were 2 of a handful of people making the turn-around. We were invited to a dinner with Prem and Tony Lockett. Andy was even IN my rendition of Piano Man at the talent show. Telling us that he'd come up with all new trivia questions made two things clear to us: 1. He recognized us and knew he should have known us and 2. He had no clue as to who we really were.

Now, If you've read this far, you might be thinking that I shouldn't expect a cruise director to know every person on every cruise. Heck, My Lee's parents went on a few cruises and didn't even know who the cruise director was. However, when a person takes the time to introduce themselves and make themselves known to the CD, there's an expectation that the CD will at least have some clue as to who the person is! Every single other cruise director to which we introduced ourselves remembered our name the very next time we saw them and every time thereafter--GADS even cruise director Shona who was our CD for the one-day-two-day Dawn b2b knew our names and called us by name. Dandy Andy never once called My Lee by name.

Fine. You may not think it's important for a CD to know guests by name. That's a perfectly valid opinion. I have more. Dandy Andy is the great disappearing cruise director. After the first night, My Lee and I went down to the left side of the stage in the Stardust where we had met and introduced ourselves to cruise directors Jimmy, Pedro, Ray and Shona after the welcome aboard show. Wanting to give Andy a shot, we went down and waited after the welcome show was over. And waited. And waited. Until it was clear that Dandy Andy wasn't coming out. We found out why later. Sitting up in the Balcony, waiting one of the shows to start, we saw Andy sneak in through the balcony, introduce the show, close the show and sneak back out through the same balcony. He couldn't even bother to deal with the public on a simple, shake-hands-after-the-show level.

One more thing. A cruise director shouldn't get sea sick. I'm sorry. Maybe it's being prejudiced. Maybe it's being unfair. But how do you get to be cruise director of the Norwegian Flagship and still get seasick. Assistant CD Rob "Sugar" joked about it every one of the six sea days on the transatlantic. After Bingo in the Spinnaker, "Next we've got we've got trivia with your Cruise Director Andy, who's lying on the floor under the desk and looking a little green around the gills.

Let me say a little something about Rob "Sugar." First of all, his real name is Robert Barker. That's right, the ACD's real name is Bob Barker. (It says Rob Sugar on his name tag... I have no explanation) Rob is a very British Brit who has a wry dry and sometimes a-wry sense of humor that takes some getting used to. However, Rob is WAY more of a Cruise Director than Andy will ever be. Not only did Rob know our names from the very start, he acted like he really did want to know My Lee and I as people not just two more of the herd of guests that walk through the ship every seven or fourteen days. One night there was a deck party. My Lee and I took the opportunity to have a night swim in the pool as the party was happening. Rob, saw us and jumped head-long into the pool. Now, he was in a bathingsuit (it would've been REALLY cool if he was fully clothed), but he jumped in and hung out with us for a long while, just shooting the breeze and actually getting to know us better.

Long winded response to an easy question, but as you may know, I take my Cruise Director's seriously! Sugar yes, Andy no....

And I thank you:

JWK: Not a Dandy Andy Booster or Sugar Booster

Pianoman, thanks for the details regarding Andy. Doesn't sound like a CD we would want.

We had a wonderful cruise director on the Gem transatlantic in April. Andre (sorry but his last name is escaping me at the moment). He was an engineer, and such a knowledgable man. He spoke 6 or 7 languages, gave night time astronomy lectures with laser pointer on the upper decks on a clear night, gave a lecture on quantum physics (really!) that was broadcast in our cabin and was as personable as he could be. Very cheerful and no silly jokes - although he kept forgetting one woman's name in the Newlywed Game which just made it funnier. I doubt that he remembered my name or even that he ever knew it, but then again, I don't remember his. But he was very capable and gets my number one vote after 24 cruises.

Pianoman: Methinks you doth protest too much. I think being a CD is one of the hardest, most thankless jobs. It's impossible to please everyone and only the critics will bother to post a review. The CD is hardly essential to the enjoyment of my cruise. They introduce the shows in the theatre, make annoucements and preside over activities I rarely take part in. I will be sailing on the Gem in March and if Andy is still the CD, I will introduce myself and tell him I don't expect him to remember my name and the activitities I participate in and it's OK if he gets seasick or norovirus from gladhanding passengers in need of constant attention.

I'd like to share an experience that made me think very highly of this cruise director. I am Jewish and even though we were a very small minority on that ship, there was a Chanukah Service every night led by a Rabbi with latkes (potato pancakes) and champagne after the service. My husband and I decided to attend services one night and was very pleasantly surprised to see that Andy stopped by to insure that the Rabbi had everything he needed for the service, and that there was enough latkes and champagne. While Andy was there he introduced the Rabbi and sounded very sincere when he greeted this small group.

I was on the Gem TA 11/29-12/12 which turned out to be a very rough crossing. Must say I was very impressed with Andy and his team who kept up the energy level and spirits even when many guests were under the weather from sea sickness. Andy arranged a wide variety of activities and entertainment choices which I think pleased the majority of cruisers, from a talented violinist (standing ovation) to a hypnotist.

For trivia lovers Andy offered trivia at least 3x a day. He personally hosted the midday progressive trivia and his team handled the others. We had lots of fun.

Whenever I ran into Andy (he was very visible and had "Meet & Greets" in the atrium with all of the guest performers as well as with the HD and F & B) he was friendly and sincere. Of course he has a "stage personality" but I found his personal interactions quite genuine.

When we had 2 CC'ers who offered to give dance lessons onboard, Andy emailed with them in advance and fit them into the schedule. Not only did they have morning dance classes with 2 of the production dancers, but every sea day as well these CC'ers had lessons up in Spinnaker. I think Andy arranged the whole thing very professionally and really seemed to appreciate these guests' tremendous generosity towards their fellow guests.

I ended up filling out a few S.T.Y.L.E cards for Andy and his team. I think Rob Sugar did a great job with all of the late evening entertainment as well as the ACD's usual task of running bingo. He is really funny, too. On the day we were tendering in Cannes, Rob helped our little CC group of 8 get onto the tender more quickly and it was really appreciated. He went out of his way to help us and we were able to get an earlier start to our private excursion.

I was really impressed during the crew show the way Andy reached out to the audience to remind us of the wonderful ports of call we had had in the Med, some of the highlight entertainment moments, etc. and look at the cruise as a whole. With the really really rough weather we had, it was easy to forget the entire first part of the wonderful trip in the Med before the crossing began. Because Andy was seasick himself (added a patch and sea bands before it was all over), it showed that nobody is really exempt from high winds & swells when it gets bad enough. He never missed an activity through it all! Job well done!:)

Although nothing to do with this thread, must compliment the whole crew for going above & beyond during a challenging crossing.:D

I was on the Gem TA 11/29-12/12 which turned out to be a very rough crossing. Must say I was very impressed with Andy and his team who kept up the energy level and spirits even when many guests were under the weather from sea sickness. Andy arranged a wide variety of activities and entertainment choices which I think pleased the majority of cruisers' date=' from a talented violinist (standing ovation) to a hypnotist.

For trivia lovers Andy offered trivia at least 3x a day. He personally hosted the midday progressive trivia and his team handled the others. We had lots of fun.

Whenever I ran into Andy (he was very visible and had "Meet & Greets" in the atrium with all of the guest performers as well as with the HD and F & B) he was friendly and sincere. Of course he has a "stage personality" but I found his personal interactions quite genuine.

When we had 2 CC'ers who offered to give dance lessons onboard, Andy emailed with them in advance and fit them into the schedule. Not only did they have morning dance classes with 2 of the production dancers, but every sea day as well these CC'ers had lessons up in Spinnaker. I think Andy arranged the whole thing very professionally and really seemed to appreciate these guests' tremendous generosity towards their fellow guests.

I ended up filling out a few S.T.Y.L.E cards for Andy and his team. I think Rob Sugar did a great job with all of the late evening entertainment as well as the ACD's usual task of running bingo. He is really funny, too. On the day we were tendering in Cannes, Rob helped our little CC group of 8 get onto the tender more quickly and it was really appreciated. He went out of his way to help us and we were able to get an earlier start to our private excursion.

I was really impressed during the crew show the way Andy reached out to the audience to remind us of the wonderful ports of call we had had in the Med, some of the highlight entertainment moments, etc. and look at the cruise as a whole. With the really really rough weather we had, it was easy to forget the entire first part of the wonderful trip in the Med before the crossing began. Because Andy was seasick himself (added a patch and sea bands before it was all over), it showed that nobody is really exempt from high winds & swells when it gets bad enough. He never missed an activity through it all! Job well done!:)

Although nothing to do with this thread, must compliment the whole crew for going above & beyond during a challenging crossing.:D[/quote']

snorklin'barb....thank you for bringing something positive to the original question. CD's have a very high energy job full of responsibility minute by minute every single day while on board. I can't imagine any of them being "inadequate or bad".....just perhaps some are better than others. I am sure the cruise line has tough criteria before they hire anyone for the job. That said, I am not one who needs to be personally acknowledged by a CD or anyone for that matter. If someone remembers my name in a crowed of hundreds then I'd be mighty impressed but would never expect that from a very busy person nor would I take exception to it. I am on vacation to enjoy myself...not become buddies with the crew. If that happens naturally then great....but I am not seeking it out.

I appreciate your review and I will look forward to Andy on our cruise next week.....Yikes! It's almost here! :eek:

I personal agree with Barbara.I also was on the TA and I thought Andy and his crew were just fabulous and planned so many great activites for us despite the rough crossing back to NYC. Andy was always happy and smiling and genuinely happy to chat with anyone at anytime. Rob Sugar was also fabulous and I filled out style cards and also sent a letter to main headquarters and sent copy to Hotel Director also. I do not agree with others statements that CD's should not get seasick as they are only human and I enjoyed Andy as CD on my voyage.

I was on the Gem TA 11/29-12/12 which turned out to be a very rough crossing. Must say I was very impressed with Andy and his team who kept up the energy level and spirits even when many guests were under the weather from sea sickness. Andy arranged a wide variety of activities and entertainment choices which I think pleased the majority of cruisers' date=' from a talented violinist (standing ovation) to a hypnotist.

Although nothing to do with this thread, must compliment the whole crew for going above & beyond during a challenging crossing.:D[/quote']

Pianoman: Methinks you doth protest too much. I think being a CD is one of the hardest, most thankless jobs. It's impossible to please everyone and only the critics will bother to post a review. The CD is hardly essential to the enjoyment of my cruise. They introduce the shows in the theatre, make annoucements and preside over activities I rarely take part in. I will be sailing on the Gem in March and if Andy is still the CD, I will introduce myself and tell him I don't expect him to remember my name and the activitities I participate in and it's OK if he gets seasick or norovirus from gladhanding passengers in need of constant attention.

I don't want to get into a war of words here. I don't hate Andy. In fact, I was really impressed that he held Chanukah services on board and made a point of announcing them. As a Catholic, I was of course playing Bingo at the time. But I do not dislike him as a person--Really. He's a likable, amiable chap who clearly enjoys his job.

Furthermore, if you think only critics post reviews, I invite you to read my friends Snorkelin' Barb's review of Andy and his staff. Then, run a search of my screen name here on these boards. Read through most of my posts. In some way or another I usually mention my favorite cruise director, Ray Carr, The greatest Cruise Director in the Galaxy (there was a vote). If you do search through my posts, you'll see Mr. Carr referred to in that exact way each and every time I mention him. He doesn't pay me to say that. He doesn't let me drink with him at the crew bar on ship. He doesn't treat me any differently than I've seen him treat each and every guest with whom he meets. He is simply IMHO a better cruise director. He comes across as more genuine. He comes across as being more than the guy that gets the audience in the Stardust warmed up before each show. I said in my initial review. If you want a cruise director who is a cheerleader, Andy is your guy. Indeed, as Barb put it,

(I) Must say I was very impressed with Andy and his team who kept up the energy level and spirits even when many guests were under the weather from sea sickness.

She also noted that even though Andy was seasick, he never missed an event. I applaud him for that too. Perhaps I was a little harsh in my review, but I was just giving an opinion. And that opinion is that ACD Rob "Sugar" Barker is a better CD than Andy. Pedro, Shona, and Jimmy were better cruise directors. and Ray Carr, the greatest cruise director in the galaxy (there was a vote) is definitely a better cruise director.

So, go ahead, blast me for stating my opinion. He's just not my cup of tea.

And I thank you

JWK: No Gladhanding needed....

Archived