Is your change for upgrade better booking directly w/ Princess or 3rd party?

alliecat378

Hello,

Do you know if your chance of receiving an upgraded cabin is better by booking directly with Princess or via Princess website vs going through your TA or websites (expedia,cruise.com,etc). Please advise. Thank you.

Have gotten upgrades with both TA and direct booking with Princess. Don't use websites as I expect personalized service.

As I am sure others will tell you - it doesn't really matter.

Have also gotten better category cabins assigned using a Guarantee booking, but it is just as likely one will get the cabin in the category purchased.

Merry Christmas!

From conversations and experience I'd estimate upgrades are most likely for the initial booking with a cruise line. That, of course, assumes there's any logic to it at all.

Don't look for logic and you won't be disappointed. We just booked a last minute cruise; G guarantee. Got assigned a D in good location. Will we get another upgrade? Could be. Has happened before. Price is low. D is good. I'm happy.

You have no better shot either way....

There have been a few waitlist incidents talked about here on CC of peoples experience's with the waitlist and the lack of follow through/miscommunication by a TA.

As far as the waitlist the only thing that a TA would add to the mix initially is an extra link to the communication chain which may cause a delay or miscommunication about any cabin assignment or offer.

If you have a trusted TA then this should not be a problem.

It doesn't matter a whit. And, it doesn't matter whether you've booked a GTY or a specific cabin. Upgrades depend on the number of cabins sold in each category and the number of people wanting to book a cabin in each category. It's all based on supply and demand, very difficult to predict or apply logic. I do think that the lower category you book, whether through Princess or a TA, the better your chances of being upgraded as they can sell the cheaper cabins more easily. If you've booked the top category in a type of cabin, i.e., the highest category for an oceanview, for instance, your chances probably go down.

Defining an "upgrade" is often in an individual's perception. For me, moving from one OV to another OV isn't an "upgrade".

It's list price may be higher, but I might consider it a less desirable location.

I judge an upgrade to be an inside to an OV, OV to balcony, etc. Anything else is simply the cruise line balancing its load. :p

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Defining an "upgrade" is often in an individual's perception. For me, moving from one OV to another OV isn't an "upgrade".

It's list price may be higher, but I might consider it a less desirable location.

I judge an upgrade to be an inside to an OV, OV to balcony, etc. Anything else is simply the cruise line balancing its load. :p

I look at it the same as you. I want to go from a balcony to a mini, not just a balcony to another.

Life would be so simple if Princess limited themselves to 5 categories such as: inside, outside, balcony, minisuite and suites.

I think they do the multiple categories within a category so people feel like they get a huge upgrade when in fact they go from an inside to another inside.

That was my reason for my posting of 'Your lucky. What did you get as an upgrade?' I fully concur with what you and others are saying. It is a game, an inside to inside, OV to Ov, etc., is not an upgrade. They is a Cruise Lines' game.

I still respectfully disagree. A balcony cabin on the Aloha deck near the bow of the ship is definitely NOT the same as one midship on Dolphin or Caribe, especially in rough weather, and I'd pay a difference in price to get the latter. If I'm "upgraded" from the less desirable location to the prime location, I'd consider myself lucky.

asctony to answer your question my two upgrades were:

December 2008 I had booked a balcony on Aloha A748 on the Sapphire Princess and had marked my booking no upgrade as I had been in the cabin before and loved it. It is an aft balcony cabin overlooking the wake. About 4 days prior to sailing I received a call from Princess asking if I wanted to upgrade to a mini-suite. Even though I loved that aft balcony cabin I really wanted to try the minisuite so said yes and loved it. I booked a mini on my Crown Nov 09 sailing which was fabulous and my CB sailing in 12/10 as I really love those mini's now. That's the issue you might have with an upgrade - you can get spoiled. I thought I would always book a mini but then this month I received a little "found/unexpected money" and noticed the Sapphire had some fabulous rates for Mexican Riviera cruises in Jan/Feb 2010. I live in Southern California so wouldnt need air. I booked an obstructed ocean view guarantee for $379 and received a cabin assignment of a regular oceanview cabin on Plaza deck. It looks like those cabins are going for $549.00. I'm actually kind of excited about that upgrade because I 'm doing this cruise on my own and keeping it really lowkey as have had some major life changes recently and really need time to drink coffee, read, eat, relax and kind of like the idea of being able to walk out of my cabin and down the hall to the deck 5 coffee bar on the Sapphire and then up two decks to the Promenade with the full loungers and read my book and drink coffee.:)

Archived