Can you still order as much food as you want??

stephic411

So I was talking to my boyfriend today telling him about how what I love about the cruise is in the dining room you can order as much as you want and you can send something back if you don't like it..do they still let you do that? I have not been on a cruise in 2 years so I am wondering if the economy has gotten that taken away from us. If I want to order 5 lobster tails and only eat that on elegant night I may do so correct?:D Ha thanks everyone.

Yes you can, but please don't be wasteful. Try to order only what you'll eat (I'm not talking here about stuff you send back because you really don't like it, or don't like the way it's prepared). But if you KNOW you'll like something and want 16 of them, please be sure you eat it all and not just let it go to the dumpster! I've seen a person order 3-4 entrees, for example, take a bite out of each, and discard the rest.

Yes you can, but please don't be wasteful. Try to order only what you'll eat (I'm not talking here about stuff you send back because you really don't like it, or don't like the way it's prepared). But if you KNOW you'll like something and want 16 of them, please be sure you eat it all and not just let it go to the dumpster! I've seen a person order 3-4 entrees, for example, take a bite out of each, and discard the rest.

Good point!

(I'm guessing the OP hasn't read "Cruise Confidential" yet.);)

Exactly....I think about what it took for the chef to prepare the food, getting it on the plate, and the waiter delivering the right food to the right person. I feel bad when I order something that I don't like, and I make a mental note not to order it again. No one goes hungry on a cruise ship unless they want to.

I wouldn't recommend ordering an extra meal just for a taste. Keep in mind, every entree automatically comes with the normal side dishes as well.

But if you have a hearty appetite, order away. I order a second entree when I can't decide between 2, and know I can eat them.

BTW..16 tails for three? This kind of abuse is going to make these kind of things go away.

Order as much of, and whatever you want. I once ordered a pallet of chocolate covered pretzels, a drum of grape jam, a desk of Cheez-Its, and a hammock of cake. ;););) For you Family Guy fans out there.

:D That is funny! I love that show.

I wouldn't recommend ordering an extra meal just for a taste. Keep in mind, every entree automatically comes with the normal side dishes as well.

But if you have a hearty appetite, order away. I order a second entree when I can't decide between 2, and know I can eat them.

BTW..16 tails for three? This kind of abuse is going to make these kind of things go away.

I don't know Pete, if you have three hungry guys I'm sure they could put away 5.3 tails per person. Those things aren't much bigger than jumbo shrimp on some of the cruises. I have done four before :o (2 per plate so as not to be so obvious :D).

I've never actually ordered two entrees but I have ordered 2 soups but no salad course.

When I was on the Dream a few weeks ago my sister and I weren't able to finish our entree at any dinner service because the portions have gotten so much larger.

I noticed that on my earlier 2009 cruises too. It seems that since Carnival quit using that guest chefs menu's (Georges Blanc ???? or who ever) The selection has gotten much better, the sides are better and the portions are much larger.

I had prime rib on the last night of my Dream Cruise and it was 1" thick and covered 3/4 of my plate.

Yes you can still do it as of the 2nd week of December on our Triumph cruise.. my hubby wanted the pork chops (which are HUGE and delish) but he wanted 2.. and they brought him 2 which he ate both.. many of our other cruises as well he has ordered as well as myself 2 entrees.. no problem.. I do agree tho with the above posters about ordering only what you can eat.. unless of course you do receive something that you do not like.. ;)

On the massive amounts of lobster tails for 3 people WOW.. I agree they are small.. but holy schmoly!!! Atleast I hope they ate them all.. then there is no waste:p

I don't know Pete, if you have three hungry guys I'm sure they could put away 5.3 tails per person. Those things aren't much bigger than jumbo shrimp on some of the cruises. I have done four before :o (2 per plate so as not to be so obvious :D).

I don't disagree. I just think it borders on gluttony.

I know on lobster night, I have 2 entrees to make up a surf and turf. When they come around asking if anyone wants another tail, don't think the work YES crosses my mind, but never reaches my lips.

Thanks everyone for the imput..I am glad we can still order whatever we want! I know it sounds silly but I am from Missouri where pretty much the only sea food place is Red Lobster..ha so getting a lobster tail is a big deal and I am pretty sure I can probably eat 4 of them and nothing else that night.:o.. we will see though..I will probably only start out with 2 because I don't want to be wasteful..I agree that wasting food is very annoying.

On some of the ships we have been on, if I wanted say two lobster tails, I have mentioned to our server that I did not want the sides and the tails came out on one plate with just one set of sides.

I tried my first escargot on a CCL ship and did not eat it. On next ship I decided I needed to try it again in case I was just missing something, did so, and sent it back again. :eek: Won't order again, but it was a great opportunity for me to "broaden my horizons"...

Order what you like. That is part of the fun. Just be sure you can hold most of it! (unless it is escargot for me)

Have fun!

Why not be wasteful? Where does the unused/uncooked food from a cruise go? There are no homeless charities at sea are there?

I've never actually ordered two entrees but I have ordered 2 soups but no salad course.

When I was on the Dream a few weeks ago my sister and I weren't able to finish our entree at any dinner service because the portions have gotten so much larger.

I noticed that on my earlier 2009 cruises too. It seems that since Carnival quit using that guest chefs menu's (Georges Blanc ???? or who ever) The selection has gotten much better, the sides are better and the portions are much larger.

I had prime rib on the last night of my Dream Cruise and it was 1" thick and covered 3/4 of my plate.

Music to my ears. I really did not like George La Blanc's menu.

Why not be wasteful? Where does the unused/uncooked food from a cruise go? There are no homeless charities at sea are there?

No reason to be wastefull, I guess the crew gets to eat. I am sure that if people continue to waste food and the cost gets to high for the cruiseline the fare will cost more. I think that you should only get so much food and when you eat over that quota you get charged extra.

No reason to be wastefull, I guess the crew gets to eat. I am sure that if people continue to waste food and the cost gets to high for the cruiseline the fare will cost more. I think that you should only get so much food and when you eat over that quota you get charged extra.

I don't think the crew should be allowed to eat our leftovers. Next thing you know, they will be having socializing with us. Heaven forbid they go above their status.

No, actually good point about too much food being wasted and potential price hikes.

I don't think they could ever charge by the quota though. Should 300lb heifers be allowed a higher quota?

Thanks everyone for the imput..I am glad we can still order whatever we want! I know it sounds silly but I am from Missouri where pretty much the only sea food place is Red Lobster..ha so getting a lobster tail is a big deal and I am pretty sure I can probably eat 4 of them and nothing else that night.:o.. we will see though..I will probably only start out with 2 because I don't want to be wasteful..I agree that wasting food is very annoying.

I love your Marilyn Monroe quote.....it's me!!!!!

Cruise ships will always be the same about the food......that's what makes it so much fun and why some people cruise; for the food, and drinks and the freedom to order as much or as little as you like. There are NO restrictions onboard.....have fun, eat as much as you want, order what you like and how you like it.

If someone makes a comment tell them to mind their own business!

I don't think the crew should be allowed to eat our leftovers. Next thing you know, they will be having socializing with us. Heaven forbid they go above their status.

No, actually good point about too much food being wasted and potential price hikes.

I don't think they could ever charge by the quota though. Should 300lb heifers be allowed a higher quota?

I think that's where the misconception is... One of my best female friends who weighs 110 soaking wet could easily outeat my brother and father and has on many occasions. My brother is a large guy, about 280... so according to your ignorant and rude assumptions he would be considered a heifer. He would easily need a much lower quota than my friend. So if the cruise lines judged books by the cover, like you, their food quotas would be way out of wack. They may need another system.

Archived