Live from the Gem...

uneamie

Howdy all...

Coming to you live from the "rocking and a rolling" Gem....yikes I am losing my balance..ha ha! Any hoo...everything went extremely well so far. Embarkation in NYC was a breeze. I am sitting in our cabin "forward" mini with my laptop using the wireless connection. Not nearly as slow as everyone talks about. It's great!

Well...I will get back tomorrow with a bit more live from the Gem

Hi UneAmie,

I'm going on the same cruise next week and I have a few questions for you:

- Is there a bridge program or at least a "bridge player get together" scheduled?

- Was the "Ticket to Dine" program offered?

- How is the CD, you like him?

- Any sign of NoroVirus so far?

Also, if there are activities/shows/menu items that I shouldn't miss, please let me know (I'll keep reading this thread until Tuesday Night when I'll board the bus that will bring me to NYC the following day).

Thanks!

Julie

I, too, am on the 1/13/09 cruise.

I truly appreciate the live feed.

What I would LOVE to know about is the weather on the way down.

Can you feel a temp change on day 2 (where you are today), and then maybe tomorrow, too?

Thanks, so much!

I just got off the one night, no norovirus. Ship was extremely nice! Cruise directory was Andy, he seemed o.k.

Having rough weather? We got off Sunday, I thought on Saturday this ship would be rockin' and rollin' due to the wind - it was great!

New theme - We were on the Gem for the TA in April and it was absolutely fantastic! Loved the ship and crew. Sailing past the Statue of Liberty on a beautiful spring day was amazing. And then out across the Atlantic (our first "crossing") was wonderful even though it was cold and windy. We had great service from our butler, Aries and concierge, Alex (sorry he has left NCL) as well as Adrian, who is currently the acting concierge on the Gem. Pleae tell him his friend, Cathy from Texas said hello if you see him!

I am sure the OP is having so much fun and I know you will all have a great time. Wishing you all blue skies and calm seas!

Cathy

Back to the old theme....Can't wait to board next week. What time did they actually start boarding? Did they have the welcome aboard bubbly? They didn't on the CTN so we are wondering if it was only the CTN that didn't have it or have they done away with it completely.

Have a great cruise and hurry back for the rest of us, LOL.

I, too, am on the 1/13/09 cruise.

I truly appreciate the live feed.

What I would LOVE to know about is the weather on the way down.

Can you feel a temp change on day 2 (where you are today), and then maybe tomorrow, too?

Thanks, so much!

It depends on the weather down the east coast. Usually by the second day late in the afternoon you will be in NC somewhere and yes, there is a notable weather change. Seems like for this cruise the weather might stay a little chilly because the whole east coast is experiencing cold weather. Hope it warms up soon!

Can you please find out if the cappuccino machines are still up in the buffet?

Someone is saying they have been removed and they now charge for a cup of cappuccino in the MDR.

Thanks for posting while onboard. Enjoy your cruise!

The cappuccino machine was still in the buffet during our Dec 12 cruise on Gem.

The cappuccino machine was still in the buffet during our Dec 12 cruise on Gem.

I just got off on Jan 2. They were still there that morning. Someone that was on the one night Jan 2, said they are now gone, and there is a charge for a cup of cappuccino in the dining room. :confused:

Adding to the posters that will be onboard the Gem on 1/13, thanks for posting! Looking forward to more "live" information before we sail, especially if Le Bistro menu has changed (hadn't heard about that one, I sure hope escargots & chocolate fondue are still there...)

Enjoy your cruise!! :)

Hope you are having a wonderfull cruise. I will sailing on the Gem's 10 night itinerary 2/3 Can you please tell me if NCL offered 2 for 1 in any of the specialty restaurants and if they are indeed charging for Cappuccino in the buffets and MDR. Also do you know the fee for the 10 day spa pass, and if there was a couples discount ?

Le Bistro is testing out a new menu on the Gem right now and it now costs $25.00. On the TA I was on at end of November to December 12 it was $15.00.

Adding to the posters that will be onboard the Gem on 1/13, thanks for posting! Looking forward to more "live" information before we sail, especially if Le Bistro menu has changed (hadn't heard about that one, I sure hope escargots & chocolate fondue are still there...)

Enjoy your cruise!! :)

Le Bistro is testing out a new menu on the Gem right now and it now costs $25.00. On the TA I was on at end of November to December 12 it was $15.00.

My husband and I went to Bistro during our Dec 12 cruise on Gem with its new menu and went to Bistro on Dawn this past summer when it was only $15. In our opinion the old menu, which is less expensive, was better.

Hope you are having a wonderfull cruise. I will sailing on the Gem's 10 night itinerary 2/3 Can you please tell me if NCL offered 2 for 1 in any of the specialty restaurants and if they are indeed charging for Cappuccino in the buffets and MDR. Also do you know the fee for the 10 day spa pass, and if there was a couples discount ?

We are on the 2/3 sailing also, along with 11 others. If you have not already please join our roll call.

Looking forward to the answers to all of these questions.

Can't wait to get out of this cold stuff!

Mary & Red + 11

They are introducing Chef Eric Cousins and some of his signature dishes on the new Le Bistro menu.

The escargots are still there and were delicious. Soups are still the french onion & 4 mushroom. The asparagus appetizer has been changed somehow, I noticed the mussels were still offered. There's a salad frisee with smoked duck. Also a foie gras starter.

They've introduced a Fruits de Mer over pastry shell on the additional $10 menu along with the broiled lobster tail and the 32 oz. cote de boeuf they kept in that surcharge section.

On the "regular" menu, the filet is still offered as is the rack of lamb. DH tried Chef Cousins' signature duck dish and it was delicious while I had the rack of lamb. The saucisses dish as well as cassoulet has been removed and they've added coq au vin and a pork tenderloin dish.

Can't remember the fish dishes but there were a few listed. The bouillabaisse is still offered.

Desserts were creme brulee, choc. napoleon, apple tatin, choc. fondue, and a couple of others along with an intl. cheese plate.

I don't have a copy but that's what I can remember.

Everything was really delicious and service was excellent. Ana Maria the asst. maitre d' as well as our waitress Christina were very attentive and pleasant.:)

Archived