Ginger for seasickness

MrsPete

My family and I don't have any problems with seasickness, but we're bringing our two nieces on our upcoming cruise, and I am a little concerned about the two of them.

I saw Crystalized Ginger today in the grocery store, and -- knowing that people have talked about it on this board -- I bought a package in the vegetable section. It tastes okay. Not yummy; I wouldn't eat it like candy, but it's okay. I'm thinking of getting them a couple packages of this before the cruise.

Here are the questions:

How much ginger should a person eat?

How often?

I don't want to buy too little (and be unable to get more if it's working well), nor do I want to give them so much that it makes then sick or so little that it's ineffective.

I don't think you can get too much ginger. It's not a drug, it is a root with anti-nausea benefits. Most people use ginger candy or gingerroot capsules. I take the capsules(2-500mg capsules a day). Unless someone is allergic, there shouldn't be any issue.

I would also suggest taking Bonine with you just in case. The sea bands do not work for me at all, but Bonine and ginger do.

I took two 550 mg ginger root capsules every 6 hours during my first cruise....I started the night before & it really saved my cruise........we experienced rough seas and alot of people were sick. I tried ginger chews from the health food store but they were nasty so I didn't eat them too often.

I was afraid ginger wouldn't be enough for me because I get sick whenever I ride in the back seat of a car and I no longer do swings with my daughter because I feel like vomitting afterwards.

As already stated, ginger does leave a weird taste in your mouth....but it was worth it for me.

for after the candied ginger - eat a peppermint - it really cuts the ginger in the mouth....

i was on a small ship last yr in rough seas, and candied ginger worked well for me... I did not know they had tablets - I would do that!!!!

I agree completely with live.love.cruise ...

I've used ginger capsules for years at the same dosage mentioned. Never noticed a weird aftertaste tho but mints would cure that if you do. Get them at Walmart or your local health food store.

Barbara

I don't think you can get too much ginger. It's not a drug, it is a root with anti-nausea benefits. Most people use ginger candy or gingerroot capsules. I take the capsules(2-500mg capsules a day). Unless someone is allergic, there shouldn't be any issue.

I would also suggest taking Bonine with you just in case. The sea bands do not work for me at all, but Bonine and ginger do.

I agree. I've been doing this combination for my last 4 cruises and it works great. I start taking Ginger capsules 10 days before my sail date. Just one 500 mg capsule a day to build it up. I've never noticed an aftertaste but then again I LOVE GINGER! I always have candied ginger in the house and always order a side of pickled ginger when we eat at a Japanese steakhouse. If you like ginger ale try ginger beer too! It's not really beer just called that in other countries.

It's GGGGGGRRRRRREEEEEEAAAAAATTTTT!:D

Mythbusters tested a bunch of seasickness things a while ago. The only non-medicine thing that worked for them was ginger pills.

My son gets car sick and ginger pills worked for him, but we also have Bonine just in case (that works on him too).

The funny thing is that he gets car sick but he hasn't been sea sick yet. We learned of the ginger and Bonine after his last cruise, so he's done four cruises so far with no seasickness remedy and been fine each time. One of our cruises had some pretty rough seas and he made it through.

The first night for all of us is always a little shaky, especially when sitting down to that first dinner. We feel weird in the head (more so than usual at least) but not sick.

scopalomine patch behind the ear!

I would not even consider a patch for a young child unless I knew they suffered from sea sickness in the past. The OP is trying to be prepared just in case these girls have a problem. I know my pediatrician wouldn't prescribe something that has that many side effects without knowing the benefits outweigh the side effects.

To the OP, I would also consider a bag of ginger snap cookies which might be a little bit more appetizing to the girls. Ginger candy is another option. I have found it in places that sell old fashioned candies, like a Crackerbarrel Restaurant.

To the OP: You might try asking the same question on the Cunard board. Ginger as a culture of accepting it as a seasickness aid, and they have ginger mints available at the entrance to the dining room. I seldom get seasick so I don't pay a lot of attention, but there may be some people there who can answer questions about how much and how effective.

We have used ginger capsules on all of our cruises with no seasickness. My ds (11) gets very motion sick and it works for him as well. The pediatrician prescribed for him a compounded gel of phenergan to rub on his wrists, just in case, since they won't prescribe the patch for kids, but he's never needed it. You can also give the girls ginger ale if they can't swallow the capsule (there are a few brands that still use real ginger) or you can make a ginger tea with lots of sugar to take out the bite.

scopalomine patch behind the ear!

My DD (26) has tried the patch twice (on previous cruises), and felt worse after using it!!! We had her take 2 ginger caps (morning and evening) starting two weeks before our last cruise. She took them the entire cruise and had no sea sickness! We just got back from a New Years cruise on the Freedom, and had the worst seas we've ever had. She is a person who gets carsick and sea sick all the time. Ginger was great!

We are a family of four and have sailed on 5 cruises. Each time it seems one of us gets a bit of an "upset belly". Our good friends who introduced us to crusing told us about the ginger capsules.

I bought them at a local health food store. We generally take one with breakfast and one with dinner. Since it's not medicine it cannot hurt you. We even use them around the house instead of pepto bismol if the kids start to get an upset stomach.

I would recommend taking some along just in case.

Tigers2425

Lori

Where is ginger candy/crystallized ginger sold? And is it something that a toddler would willingly eat? :)

I've found that Bonine works great for the grown ups. And I LOVE ginger beer no matter where I am!

I buy mine at World Market. I've seen it at Target also. Most of it is imported from Australia, as is my favorite ginger beer.

Archived