Anybody ready to get naughty?

laxlove6

Just curious. Do the same folks who bring their own liquor on board, bring their own liquor to land based bars and restaurants?

No, but I'm not captive in a land based bar or restaurant for a week at a time, and am not charged 150-300% higher than normal retail prices either.

That said, I've never left a cruise without having over 1Gr bar bill, so the piddly amount I may sneak on for consumption on my balcony really isn't that important is it?:o

Are you all saying the policy has changed since I last cruised? Never had a problem bringing on 2 bottles of wine in checked luggage. I'm going to assume that's still okay, right?

Also, they are not cracking down on hair straighteners (flattening irons), for daughter, right? Just want to make sure, ha.

Thanks!!

Are you all saying the policy has changed since I last cruised? Never had a problem bringing on 2 bottles of wine in checked luggage. I'm going to assume that's still okay, right?

Also, they are not cracking down on hair straighteners (flattening irons), for daughter, right? Just want to make sure, ha.

Thanks!!

Yes, policy has changed and now they are stating that they are not allowing any alcohol to be brought on board. (how hard they check/confiscate is debatable)

Well I just bought my flask for my upcomming cruise. Rules are broken everyday. There is not one person here who has never broken a rule in their life. I do ring up a good tab on the ship on drinking, but there are times when I'm in the room where I would like to enjoy 1 or 2 drinks on the deck. I'm not there to get hammered. They should allow a quart or a six pack to be brought. Its a matter of time before they wont allow softdrinks if they could get away with it without an uproar.

I think the people who do bring on some its for the matter of convience, its not to kill Rccls bottom line. If i'm caught so be it I won't get mad if I'm called down. Will someone get denied boarding, I seriously doubt it.

Seriously the people who do not agree shouldn't berate another person for doing it, because you know you have something hiding in your closet of broken rules. :)

I agree, the "Naughty Room " is not a good name. I would be happier if I was called to Smugglers Cove. Just sounds more nautical. If they take your booze or iron or curling iron you should be given a pirates cap for compensation. I am a smuggler and I don't care, if we want to enjoy a drink or glass of wine getting ready for dinner that is my choice to smuggle. This will be my virgin smuggling attempt with RCCL ( I am a successful vetran on Carnival )and I have no doubt my rum runners will get thru and I will be enjoying my efforts on my balcony. Thanks in advance to all the high and mighty, never btreak a rule people who will teel me the " RULES ".:):):)

• 2 months later...

Seriously the people who do not agree shouldn't berate another person for doing it, because you know you have something hiding in your closet of broken rules. :)

This is one of the rules that have zero effect on me if you break it. If you and others want to smuggle booze onto the ship it will do nothing to my vacation. Other rules that could have a effect on my safety are another story altogether.

This is one of the rules that have zero effect on me if you break it. If you and others want to smuggle booze onto the ship it will do nothing to my vacation. Other rules that could have a effect on my safety are another story altogether.

You're quoting a two month old post. ;):D

I agree. Anything that could cause a serious problem should be banned. ie: Irons, candles.

These are to dangerous and could cause serious harm to people.

Bringing a flask will not hurt anyone. I did get on without a problem, and we didn't use all the alcohol. Its always just been a convience for me. Just like people who bring water or soda. Which I also bring along $2.25 for a coke is just ridiculous to have in your room.

My theory is: If you can afford a cruise, you surely can afford the booze. If everyone would go by the rules there wouldn't be a reason to be checking on people.

This is not true.. They are not just checking for booze.

As many people here have said its a matter of convience, not the cost of the booze on the ship.

I just returned from a 9 day eastern caribbean on explorer of the seas and had a pretty interesting encounter...

As DH and I are returning to the ship from San Juan, I had an EMPTY bottle of Don Q rum in my bag (DH and I had a super time drinking it on land lol)...DH was insistant that I was going to get pulled out of line and questioned for having a bottle of liquor in my bag, albeit empty. Lo and Behold - I walked through the line, and the bag passed through the scanners with no incident whatsoever....which makes me wonder...can the x-ray machines detect whether or not a bottle is empty or full?

DH and I have also switched out 2 to 4 of the 12 pack of water bottles we bring onto the ship with liquor. Has worked fabulously and without incident on both occasions we sailed on RCCL (both times being within the last 6 months)

Happy sailing and happy smuggling!

P.S.

For those whom this would apply to - save your judgements for yourself. DH and I, in spite of smuggling liquor onboard, still run up a very high OB account, and always make sure to tip additional to any and everyone on the ship thanks to the hundreds of dollars in onboard, overpriced drinks our few little water bottles saved us.

If any cruise line would carry Seagrams VO that we could have in the room then I would not smuggle. That is all I drink and they don't carry it. Also we went to Cabo San Lucas for sons wedding at an all inclusive and they did not have VO or my DH's favorite scotch so DH and SIL went across the street and bought some so we could have it in our room. We also always carry our own when we travel. The best part of cruising is sitting on your balcony watching the sunset with your favorite toddie. Love it!!!

RCI wouldn't have to deny boarding to many smugglers before word got out and the practice stopped. Problem solved...

I definitely agree but that's not going to happen. Which is easier and more economical for them: (a) seizing or (at worst) discarding the liquor themselves or (b) losing all of the on board revenue and good will of a passenger (and everyone that passenger knows) by denying them boarding? While the "naughty room" gives a few employees some extra work the process costs RC nothing. I think it's safe to say Long Live the Naughty Room!

I like this. Maybe these are the same people that complane about how bad the food is. Maybe they should bring a BBQ and stakes with them to enjoy with there wine and hard stuff. Better bring some pots for the lobster and don't over cook it. :D

We do like to have a drink on our balcony but we also like to have drinks at a bar. But to get a drink in our cabin means room service (and wait for delivery) or one of us run to a bar and bring back drinks to the cabin. If we were able to buy a bottle delivered to our cabin we would be happy to pay the extra cost. We would still take Rum Runners on board, they would be empty on boarding but we would use them to take home anything left in the bottle delivered to our cabin.

They don't go through your bag without you being there in person. The bags are xray'd and if a bag looks suspicious, they will mark it and request the owner come down.

They went through our bag last year on Independence without our permission and never asked us to come down.

Last summer I had stayed in Clearwater for a week before going on a short 5 day Cruise and simply packed up my left over booze in my suitcase and it was delivered to my room were I left in on the table. The room steward brought me ice twice a day .....he was tipped well. I still managed to spend over $500 on booze while on board...wine with dinner and a few drinks each night adds up.

If they would simply sell it by the bottle to be consumed in your room .....I would be happy to buy it. I like to have a couple in my room each night as I am on vacation! No work the next day!

We also just got off the Independence and had no alchohol, irons etc in our luggage but one of our bags took 4 hours longer than the others to arrive. When we opened the bag after it was finally delivered it had two notes inside one saying they had suspected alchohol and the second saying they had not found anything and had not removed anything. The only thing in the bag was clothing and some inflatable rings (round rafts) for the beach for the kids. Maybe they looked like rum runners? They are apparently VERY thorough on the Indy!

Archived