Ncl service goes from bad to worse

nadure

I just returned from Explorer of the Seas on 1/24. Ice was always provided......morning and evening. They too have stopped chocolates on the pillows though. No biggie. Also, there are no longer amenities in the bathroom unless in a junior suite or higher. Cutbacks are on many lines....as prices are ridiculously low.

Really! none of the amenities are provided? If that's the case they should really let people know in advance so they can bring their own.

Oh, and I forgot.....RCI was also charging for fresh squeezed OJ...The stuff you got if you didn't purchase it tasted like tang......waaaaaay too sweet. Yuck.

The last time I sailed with NCL was last May..Spirit to Bermuda. At that time, when I asked my room steward for ice, I was advised that I could call room service for it. This annoyed me the most.

Does any of this stop me from cruising NCL? No. I am sailing this May to Bermuda again (love those chicken wings in the Blue Lagoon) and also am doing the TA in June. I will miss the complimentary espresso in the dining room though, but the shows are always excellent and if the dining room menu isn't wowing me one night, I'll eat at one of the alternative dining rooms.

The last time I sailed with NCL was last May..Spirit to Bermuda. At that time, when I asked my room steward for ice, I was advised that I could call room service for it. This annoyed me the most.

That would have annoyed me as well. I have NEVER had that happen on any NCL ship..including the Spirit!! :eek:

We just had a 14 day cruise on the Dawn in Nov and had fresh ice EVERY day. This has been our experience on every cruise we have ever had on every ship/every line.

I hope that after that experience, you wrote that on your comment card as well as wrote a letter to NCL after your cruise. That issue you had is with your cabin steward and NCL should be made aware when one of their crew is NOT doing their job properly.

I am sorry to hear that you were so disappointed. I think there has been a tremendous amount of discussion on these boards about some of the cutbacks in amenities with varying reactions. If those amenities are so important to you, then another cruise line is probably in order. Of course, to get those amenities you will pay a higher price on an upper scale cruise line.

I personally feel that some of the cut backs are very damaging to NCL's overall business because of the reaction of people such as this OP. I mean in the long run how much does that glass of cahmpage cost and how much does the mint on the pillow cost? So I think some of these cutbacks may indeed backfire and may be more important to people than NCL thought. And perhaps they will make a change. Taht has ahppened before.

However, it is not true that the champagne replaced the cocktail hour. On the Jewel two weeks ago there indeed was a Latitudes party. I didn't choose to go as getting a free cocktail is not that important to me--but I do know for sure that it happened. It would be very strange if that did not occur on the Jade. Nor is it true that there is no mor e ice in the staterooms. I have no idea why the OP did not get ice in her stateroom--it sounds as if there indeed msut have been some issue with the cabin stewards. Again, on the Jewel this issue did not exist. My sister who was in a lowly inside cabin received outstanding service from the stewards and received fresh ice twice a day. I feel for people who seemed to love making coffee and tea in their room--but it can still be ordered from room service--you don't have to leave your room--and it is far better quality than those little pots make.

I am unclear as to the meaning of your conclusion. "Service level is low cost without low cost prices." I assume you mean the service is low, but the prices are not low cost. this too is very odd, as generally NCL prices are very very good and one can get excellent deals if one makes an effort. If you think NCL prices are high, I think you will have a rude awakening when you check out the prices on the upscale lines that provide the level of service that you seem to desire. However, I wish you great success in doing so and I always feel badly for anyone who does not seem to be able to enjoy their vacation.

I read with great interest, the OP's review and echo Mr. (or Ms?) Yoyo. NCL's prices are incredibly low versus HAL, Princess and especially the upper echelon cruise lines like Silversea. Even RCCI's rates can't compare to NCL's.

Freestyle means just that. You can choose your style. If you want to go bowling or rock climbing, they're gonna hit y'up for a five or ten spot. If you don't want to pay (like myself who didn't get on a boat in the ocean to climb a rock), don't use the rock wall, and leave your two-tone bowling shoes at home, next to your polyester leisure suit. It's as easy as that.

I've sailed on different lines. That little chocolate on the pillow and a bucket brimming with ice (without asking)on other lines costs hundreds more per person. PS if you want there to be ice in your bucket all the time just ask the room steward. They are there to accommodate you.

If you want everything to be included, prepare to pay a much higher fare. NCL is not in the business of losing money. If they provide something, it's to keep they're guests spending. Like the bar service in the spinnaker lounge. There's a little Filipino girl coming around every three seconds asking me if I want a drink of the day--even when I have a full one in my hands! The funny thing is when you WANT a drink, they've all disappeared. But anyway. I've tried other lines. NCL has the best product for me and my hard-earned discretionary income.

And for those who will rail me as an NCL Cheerleader (I'm sure I've read that 50 times on these boards about other people), I say HA! You've never seen me on the ship when something goes wrong. I'm on the phone to whomever is in charge. I write letters with the stationary that's tucked into the little black room-service binder. Write the HD. Write to the CD. Write to the captain. On cruise ships, the squeeky wheel ALWAYS gets the grease.

Sail on, Sailor

(Beach Boys, 1970)

New Mexico

]

I am all for correcting or pointing out errors or misleading statements and would fully agree that when the virus hits the level of service changes and I am glad that it does. Having said that I will respect that someone else make not like it and say so.

Secondly, I didn't realize that I said that NCL wasn't having latitude party's? I don't think that NCL doesn't have Latitude Receptions and didn't say that they didn't as I know for a FACT they do as I attend them 4 or 5 times a year. What I attempted to say was that I thought the blogger was attempting to say was at one point NCL had a Captains Party that every guest was invited "regardless" of the fact if they had been a past guest. The point I thought the blogger was making was that NCL did away with the Captains Reception (all guests) and replaced it with champagne upon boarding and now that is also going away.

I am a regular long time NCL Platimum cruiser and while I can and do enjoy NCL I don't agree with all the changes and it may be that at some point as a result I won't cruise with them. This debate sometimes puts the process NCL is undergoing into a better understanding for me and other times tells me that NCL is missing the mark. I guess what I am saying is if someone doesn't like changes they can express themselves with words or take the money someplace else. Taking the vacation money from NCL and spending it on a land vacation or another Cruise line is not good for NCL. I say let the NCL customers tell us and NCL what they think and NCL can make a business decision.

I am not totally disagreeing with you and I don't like all the changes, but I haven't seen one yet that really is worth getting worked up over...I also know cruising is still a bargain plus all lines are re-thinking their perks or cutting back. Expressing yourself by letting the company know how unhappy you are with the changes is a great thing to do, especially for loyal and frequent users of the product. My problem is with those who gripe about small stuff (what is the saying, don't sweat the small stuff) and those who post once or twice with untrue of over exagerated complaints. I am sure NCL as well as other lines have done their homework before they decided to do these latest cuts.

Nita

Oh, and I forgot.....RCI was also charging for fresh squeezed OJ...The stuff you got if you didn't purchase it tasted like tang......waaaaaay too sweet. Yuck.

Does any of this stop me from cruising NCL? No. I am sailing this May to Bermuda again (love those chicken wings in the Blue Lagoon) and also am doing the TA in June. I will miss the complimentary espresso in the dining room though, but the shows are always excellent and if the dining room menu isn't wowing me one night, I'll eat at one of the alternative dining rooms.

Lady Bernard, I think you still get ice in the morning but it does melt and if you want it for drinks late in the day, yes, you have to call room service. I agree this is something that mildly ticks me off but again, the days of "at your service boss" are gone.

Nita

. On cruise ships, the squeeky wheel ALWAYS gets the grease.

Amen to that...

On our last cruise thru the Panama Canal on Celebrity, we chose a Celebrity suite for the basic fact , that when we were to pass thru the actual canal...we wanted to sit and have lunch in our suite , by course, delivered by our butler, so we could sit in airconditioning whilst watching the world go by, instead of standing on deck with a 1000 others in the heat.(for those that haven't had the pleasure the Celeb suit has full length , ceiling to floor and full width of cabin ,windows).and be able to take pics in peace.

So up until the day before the canal, our windows were spotless..

we came back from an excursion, open the door and our windows were filthy:eek::eek:

couldn't see a thing.and tomorrow was to be the canal..

so I rang, everyone..the boss of housekeeping came up, said..yuk..

had them cleaned by the bosun again( he made the mess with a hose)

and they gave us a free dinner in their best pay restaurant, and rang twice to see if we were happy.

Our next door neighbours , on the other hand , said nothing...and complained the whole trip.

and probably said so on here...

so...the squeAky wheel ALWAYS gets the grease.

I just have returned from a cruise (9 Day Canary Islands and Morocco) on Norwegian JADE. The service seems to be going from bad to worse. Now there is no welcome drink which had already replaced the Captain's cocktailduring the cruise. There are no more chocolates on the bedin the evening. Ice is also no longer provided in the Staterooms and the coffee-makers have also been removed.We cannot make coffee or tea. The staff has also been reduced. Following an eventual gastro virus alarm on the previous cruise, a strict disinfectant policy was in force during our cruise. I am of course in favour of disinfectant measures, but in the Garden Café, it was no longer self-service. One had to wait to be served and one also wondered if instructions had been given to try and reduce the portions!

Conclusion : Service level is low cost without low-cost prices.NCL has cut down in several areas. NCL is to be avoided.

.AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; } .AOLWebSuite a {color:blue; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer} .AOLWebSuite a.hsSig {cursor: default}

I wonder why ncl is cheaper than royal

is like a ford vs lexus

U get what u pay for :D

We've been on 5 NCL cruises and I don't remember ever having or seeing champagne served as a welcome aboard. Our last NCL cruise was Dec, 2006...when did they start and stop serving champagne?

In late Feb. we will be on the Jade...I'll miss those chocolates. :)

The "welcome aboard" Champagne (not Champagne) drink was part of their 2.0 promotion which started in 2008.

Can't beat my RCCL Explorer of the Seas cruise Jan 14. Embarkation left people outdoors in the cold for over 2 hours. We sat in the terminal 5 hours and then didn't board until 7pm and went to the boat drill. Missed dinner.

DH called Explorer's Mytime Dining a new version of RCCL's Their Time Dining because we were unable to get a table for 3 nights in a row.

Second night we arrived at the dining room at 7 and were told nothing was available until 9. However the night we boarded the ship, we were told the dining room was closed at 9 so we had to order room service.

Mytime dining turned into My Room Dining compliments of Room Service on our Explorer of the Seas cruise.

Originally Posted by LadyBerard viewpost.gif

Me too on the Dawn... spent $180.00 on a bar set up. Had to go to the sports bar for ice in the late afternoon.

As far as coffee goes, we bring our own with filters and use their machine. Well we used to till now:eek:

:)Here is a thought: There seems to be the question about whether or not the absense of ice in the cabin is yet another cutback attempt by NCL. well how much exactly do you think ice costs??? Lets see, frozen water! I don't think that can bbe considered a "cutback". I also never ate the chocolates. I love chocolate but there are so many other things to eat all day long that the chocolates just didn't appeal that much at 11, 12, 1 or 2 in the morning. The champagne greeting was a nice touch but as long as someone says welcome to me when I arrive I am fine with that. No other line has ever given me a mimosa upon arrival so no big deal. I personally like to serve myself at the buffet but I can see where that is not completely sanitary nor is it cost effective. All in all I go on a cruise with a vacation attitude and glad to not be at work. If you are looking for things to be wrong they will ultimately be wrong. Some people can find fault with anything. I intend to enjoy my cruise in March, with NCL, to the absolute fullest. Life is too short to be so negative.:)

is like a ford vs lexus

Not always the case. You need to re-think that. Many time NCL is cheaper, but not always and I will add, many people I know think RCI is the most overpriced cruis line for what they offer..

Nita

is like a ford vs lexus

Having cruised RCCL 13 times and NCL 16 times ( 17 in less then 2 weeks woohoo!) I completely disagee. They both offer different things. Food to me is equal. Although I do like having the option of going to different restaurants if I chose.

I can go on and on with comparisons. Everyone has their own opinion. If you don't like NCL don't cruise NCL. I realize these boards are a place to post good and bad, but you only have negative. When is the last cruise you have been on? and or NCL cruise? did you cruise NCL more than one time?

Hi Leafpeeper,

I was on the 1/14 sailing of the Explorer of the Seas too. Embarkation was not acceptable. We got to the pier around 12:45 (booked Entertainment Tours bus which was contracted through RCI, and they wouldn't adjust their departure time). Got on the ship at 6:15. People arriving at the pier at 3, 4, 5, and 6 were on the ship before us. Not a pleasant way to start the trip. But, food in the dining room and the service was terrific throughout the week for us. We had early dining. All in all, a very nice trip (but when my husband was looking for a bite late at night, before retiring for the evening, he was really missing the Blue Lagoon!)

Can't beat my RCCL Explorer of the Seas cruise Jan 14. Embarkation left people outdoors in the cold for over 2 hours. We sat in the terminal 5 hours and then didn't board until 7pm and went to the boat drill. Missed dinner.

DH called Explorer's Mytime Dining a new version of RCCL's Their Time Dining because we were unable to get a table for 3 nights in a row.

Second night we arrived at the dining room at 7 and were told nothing was available until 9. However the night we boarded the ship, we were told the dining room was closed at 9 so we had to order room service.

Mytime dining turned into My Room Dining compliments of Room Service on our Explorer of the Seas cruise.

Princess and Carnival have the same issue...so many people want to do anytime dining that the "set" dinner times restaurant is half empty and the anytime is too full to accomodate everyone.

I am not totally disagreeing with you and I don't like all the changes, but I haven't seen one yet that really is worth getting worked up over...

Exactly right, Nita. Much ado about little. Until two years ago or so, when Freestyle 2.0 came along, we managed quite well without a welcome-aboard glass of champagne. Now it's the end of the civilized world. Give me a break.

Not always the case. You need to re-think that. Many time NCL is cheaper, but not always and I will add, many people I know think RCI is the most overpriced cruis line for what they offer..

Nita

Having cruised RCCL 13 times and NCL 16 times ( 17 in less then 2 weeks woohoo!) I completely disagee. They both offer different things. Food to me is equal. Although I do like having the option of going to different restaurants if I chose.

I can go on and on with comparisons. Everyone has their own opinion. If you don't like NCL don't cruise NCL. I realize these boards are a place to post good and bad, but you only have negative. When is the last cruise you have been on? and or NCL cruise? did you cruise NCL more than one time?

You all are trying to bring logic into the discussion with a yahoo. His only purpose here is to rattle as many cages as he can get his hands on. Seems as though he has sucked you two in. :D

PE

Archived