Ncl service goes from bad to worse

nadure

I just have returned from a cruise (9 Day Canary Islands and Morocco) on Norwegian JADE. The service seems to be going from bad to worse. Now there is no welcome drink which had already replaced the Captain's cocktail during the cruise. There are no more chocolates on the bed in the evening. Ice is also no longer provided in the Staterooms and the coffee-makers have also been removed. We cannot make coffee or tea. The staff has also been reduced. Following an eventual gastro virus alarm on the previous cruise, a strict disinfectant policy was in force during our cruise. I am of course in favour of disinfectant measures, but in the Garden Café, it was no longer self-service. One had to wait to be served and one also wondered if instructions had been given to try and reduce the portions!

Conclusion : Service level is low cost without low-cost prices. NCL has cut down in several areas. NCL is to be avoided.

.AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; } .AOLWebSuite a {color:blue; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer} .AOLWebSuite a.hsSig {cursor: default}

I am sorry to hear that you were so disappointed. I think there has been a tremendous amount of discussion on these boards about some of the cutbacks in amenities with varying reactions. If those amenities are so important to you, then another cruise line is probably in order. Of course, to get those amenities you will pay a higher price on an upper scale cruise line.

I personally feel that some of the cut backs are very damaging to NCL's overall business because of the reaction of people such as this OP. I mean in the long run how much does that glass of cahmpage cost and how much does the mint on the pillow cost? So I think some of these cutbacks may indeed backfire and may be more important to people than NCL thought. And perhaps they will make a change. Taht has ahppened before.

However, it is not true that the champagne replaced the cocktail hour. On the Jewel two weeks ago there indeed was a Latitudes party. I didn't choose to go as getting a free cocktail is not that important to me--but I do know for sure that it happened. It would be very strange if that did not occur on the Jade. Nor is it true that there is no mor e ice in the staterooms. I have no idea why the OP did not get ice in her stateroom--it sounds as if there indeed msut have been some issue with the cabin stewards. Again, on the Jewel this issue did not exist. My sister who was in a lowly inside cabin received outstanding service from the stewards and received fresh ice twice a day. I feel for people who seemed to love making coffee and tea in their room--but it can still be ordered from room service--you don't have to leave your room--and it is far better quality than those little pots make.

I am unclear as to the meaning of your conclusion. "Service level is low cost without low cost prices." I assume you mean the service is low, but the prices are not low cost. this too is very odd, as generally NCL prices are very very good and one can get excellent deals if one makes an effort. If you think NCL prices are high, I think you will have a rude awakening when you check out the prices on the upscale lines that provide the level of service that you seem to desire. However, I wish you great success in doing so and I always feel badly for anyone who does not seem to be able to enjoy their vacation.

I returned from the Jewel two weeks ago. There was plenty of ice in the stateroom and one could ask for more. Don't worry. I am sure if this were true it would have been posted all over these boards. We had fantastic service from the stewards twice a day, refreshed ice twice a day, and could ask for additional ice (which we did several times)--this was true for all in our group regardless of type of cabin.

Why are people so obsessed with chocolates on their pillows? I was reading a Oasis review on the RCL board and when it was mentioned that there were nightly chocolates people were freaking out "Thank God!","Cant wait!","So excited!".........its chocolate people, its not scarce, you can buy it at most stores.:confused:

Why are people so obsessed with chocolates on their pillows? I was reading a Oasis review on the RCL board and when it was mentioned that there were nightly chocolates people were freaking out "Thank God!","Cant wait!","So excited!".........its chocolate people, its not scarce, you can buy it at most stores.:confused:

LOL Not only that, most of the time is milk chocolate. I don't eat milk chocolate, only dark, so my bedtime chocolates pile up on my nightstand

I just have returned from a cruise (9 Day Canary Islands and Morocco) on Norwegian JADE. The service seems to be going from bad to worse. Now there is no welcome drink which had already replaced the Captain's cocktail during the cruise. There are no more chocolates on the bed in the evening. Ice is also no longer provided in the Staterooms and the coffee-makers have also been removed. We cannot make coffee or tea. The staff has also been reduced. Following an eventual gastro virus alarm on the previous cruise, a strict disinfectant policy was in force during our cruise. I am of course in favour of disinfectant measures, but in the Garden Café, it was no longer self-service. One had to wait to be served and one also wondered if instructions had been given to try and reduce the portions!

Conclusion : Service level is low cost without low-cost prices. NCL has cut down in several areas. NCL is to be avoided.

.AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; } .AOLWebSuite a {color:blue; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer} .AOLWebSuite a.hsSig {cursor: default}

thanks so much for the information we all know about..as for not being able to serve yourself in the buffet, this happens whenever there is any possible threat of NORO, better to be safe than sorry, or maybe too many people waste too much food. Just love these people who come on and find the best way to be happy is to be negative.

Oh, BTW where in the H@@@ did you ever get the idea the 2 oz welcome glass of champagne was supposed to replace the capt party?

Nita

My feelings exactly. We usually just stick them in a drawer anyway. Well, I do, not hubby, he will eat anything and everything. Probably that is one reason they have been discontinued. I bet, when people left their cabin at the end of the cruise a lot of choc were left behind, so it became a natural way to save a few bucks.

Nita

We were on the same cruise and found the staff could not be bothered to go out there way,to big queues at the buffet because everthing needed to be gave out to you,all that sanatising and people still got ill including me my wife n several friends and we do allways wash our hands !!.

LOL Not only that, most of the time is milk chocolate. I don't eat milk chocolate, only dark, so my bedtime chocolates pile up on my nightstand

My feelings exactly. We usually just stick them in a drawer anyway. Well, I do, not hubby, he will eat anything and everything. Probably that is one reason they have been discontinued. I bet, when people left their cabin at the end of the cruise a lot of choc were left behind, so it became a natural way to save a few bucks.

Nita

I have agree with all of you. Never eat the mints and normally build a bedstand pile. I am very glad they are gone. The worst thing about them is returning from a very late night onboard, flopping into bed, and waking up in the morning with melted chocolate all over your face and sheets. :eek:

Who all knows about this? WOW!

if you have been on these boards at all in the past 2 weeks, you would see the loss of mints, the coffee issue, the bubbly issue and the rest being discussed on about 5 different threads...well all but the missing ice, that one I have to question. I can't believe there was no ice in the cabin unless the cabin steward just forgot one day.

As for so many cut backs, I think it might be a good idea if we all jump onto another board, be it Carnival, RCI or whatever. This way we might realize all lines are doing the same. We have 2 choices: we can pay about $200 more per person or we can learn to live with a few cut backs. I will live with cut backs and decide where to spend my extra money..

Nita

its seems like all lines are cutting back at this time..maybe it has to do with increasing profits by cutting here and there..also, noticed that as soon as complaints begin to come it that soon after you ll see an improvement..

i was actually happy they started serving you in the buffets..after seeing how some passengers would handle the portions i would often just skip over it till they brought out another pan..

if you have been on these boards at all in the past 2 weeks, you would see the loss of mints, the coffee issue, the bubbly issue and the rest being discussed on about 5 different threads...

I have not. Possibly, many others have not either. It's mid winter.

Hard to make the statement that "ALL" know. :confused:

I have not. Possibly, many others have not either. It's mid winter.

Hard to make the statement that "ALL" know. :confused:

oh, come on, All is a generalization for heavens sake. Of course it isn't to be taken literally. The OP is a new poster and decided to bitch about a few minor changes..Yes, I am defending the cruise line and being a little sarcastic, don't take things so seriouslly...

oh, come on, All is a generalization for heavens sake. Of course it isn't to be taken literally. The OP is a new poster and decided to bitch about a few minor changes..Yes, I am defending the cruise line and being a little sarcastic, don't take things so seriouslly...

No? If I thought I was being helpful and posting, and was told I was relaying something that we all know, I'd think twice about ever wanting to post here again.

Why can't a person just bitch without others being so condesending, or sounding like it.

I just have returned from a cruise (9 Day Canary Islands and Morocco) on Norwegian JADE. The service seems to be going from bad to worse. Now there is no welcome drink which had already replaced the Captain's cocktailduring the cruise. There are no more chocolates on the bedin the evening. Ice is also no longer provided in the Staterooms and the coffee-makers have also been removed.We cannot make coffee or tea. The staff has also been reduced. Following an eventual gastro virus alarm on the previous cruise, a strict disinfectant policy was in force during our cruise. I am of course in favour of disinfectant measures, but in the Garden Café, it was no longer self-service. One had to wait to be served and one also wondered if instructions had been given to try and reduce the portions!

Conclusion : Service level is low cost without low-cost prices.NCL has cut down in several areas. NCL is to be avoided.

If you had bothered to ask, this would not seem to be as big a problem as you make it. The mints, coffee makers, and champagne are gone, but the ice buckets and serving at the buffet are all part of the procedures ALL cruise lines are supposed to use to curb the spread of Noro.

Of course, it is probably better in your mind to come here and blast the cruise line instead of asking questions !!!!!

its seems like all lines are cutting back at this time..maybe it has to do with increasing profits by cutting here and there..also, noticed that as soon as complaints begin to come it that soon after you ll see an improvement..

i was actually happy they started serving you in the buffets..after seeing how some passengers would handle the portions i would often just skip over it till they brought out another pan..

yep, just wandered over to the RCI board, they are now busting everyone who brings any liquor on board including wine and many are griping about the new menues.

Nita

I wonder if the ice issue has to do with being on the Med. Europeans don't have the same "need" for ice that we Americans do. Since I haven't taken this cruise (yet) I can only wonder.

Vic

that is an interesting question. I remember years ago, our first trip to ARuba, we were so shocked to learn their cold foods were not served as cold as we do and their hot foods as hot.

Nita

For me it's even worse than what type of chocolate...

Thru trial and error, I've discovered that eating chocolate prior to bed (even a small amount) gives me terrible acid reflux. NASTY NASTY NASTY for me (but now I understand fully when someone says "I puked in my mouth")

-------------

The items mentioned by the OP have been discussed at length...'cept I wonder about the ice problem, as I haven't seen any other posts that complained about that

Archived