Ncl service goes from bad to worse

nadure

the ice buckets and serving at the buffet are all part of the procedures ALL cruise lines are supposed to use to curb the spread of Noro.

This is what I was going to mention. I'm guessing the missing ice was the result of the virus, not further cutbacks by NCL...

I have to question what ANY of this ranting has to do with service? Was the service onboard not as good as it has been on any other ship with noro-virus precautions instituted? If people learned to wash their hands like they were supposed to or used the alcohol based rubs on the ships then it wouldn't have spread. :)

Now for my rant: Seriously, this beating to death the champagne, chocolates on the pillow and now the new Lattitudes changes is getting WAY out of hand on this forum lately. ONE thread is all you need and here it is EVERYWHERE. If you don't like it then don't sail them again but to weed through and help new cruisers amongst all the ones bitching is just insane now. Keep it all together in ONE thread not 5-10! :p

I am struck by how some have become the self appointed blog police. Is this board not on a sight called Cruise CRITIC? I think this could and would lead some to believe that if they have something to say even if it is critical they would be welcome.

Clearly that is not the case and I am a bit disappointed of the outright attacks. They can love to cruise and can still enjoy NCL and be disappointed at the same time in the changes being made. If those posters are paying for the Cruises and using their own sign in names on this site and not being disrepectful then I believe they have every right to share how they felt for the money they spent regardless if it is positive or critical.

Lastly, I think the poster was not attempting to say that the Latitudes Receptions were gone and replaced with Champagne but rather the Captains Reception that used to be held for everyone on board not just Latitude Members was replaced by the champagne and now its gone.

Since the ship had a problem with illness I wonder if on the OP's cruise they removed such things as the in room coffee makers to properly sanitize all of them. They might also not have done the drink as you board the ship to prevent spread of any infection. There is a reason for everything and just because it's a cruise ship doesn't mean the reason is always going to be to save a dollar.

Since the ship had a problem with illness I wonder if on the OP's cruise they removed such things as the in room coffee makers to properly sanitize all of them.

There have been some reports though that the coffee makers are being (have been?) removed from all inside and standard Oceanview cabins.

Alrighty then. :p

We're still in January and by my count, this the third thread with the theme of 'NCL bad, don't use NCL'. Pretty enlightening stuff by the OP, of course. Lots of NEW info from them.:rolleyes:

On a positive note, it isn't their first post and they used decent enough grammar.

I am trying to imagine what they would've had to say had they picked up a NoRo bug. :eek:

There have been some reports though that the coffee makers are being (have been?) removed from all inside and standard Oceanview cabins.

Could it be a maintenance issue?

No longer having to clean up coffee grounds, rinse out the pot, and re-stock the coffee bar could give the steward a few more minutes to attend to other duties.

Or is it a health issue, as some have suggested?

Since presumably every passenger is not necessarily a self-serve coffee afficionado, could standing water or dampness in some machines be a recipe for mildew and bacteria?

Enquiring minds want to know...:cool:

I have to question what ANY of this ranting has to do with service? Was the service onboard not as good as it has been on any other ship with noro-virus precautions instituted? If people learned to wash their hands like they were supposed to or used the alcohol based rubs on the ships then it wouldn't have spread. :)

My thoughts exactly.

I am struck by how some have become the self appointed blog police. Is this board not on a sight called Cruise CRITIC? I think this could and would lead some to believe that if they have something to say even if it is critical they would be welcome.

Clearly that is not the case and I am a bit disappointed of the outright attacks. .

It clearly is the case. I have seen no "attacks". Keep in mind this is a message board and everyone can post thier critical comments but they have to expect some to be critical of those comments and some in support. That is in fact what makes a message board valuable and interesting.

If the OP wanted to publish their comments unchallanged then it should have been in the form of a review and submitted as such to be published on CC. They would have to add some details about the cruise and just not rant.

It just blows me away that people are so upset by the fact that they didn't get a little piece of chocolate each night or a glass of champagne when they boarded. Nice touches but they won't make me stop cruising with NCL without them

Well said... I am just surprised at the amount of ranting on here about it. They were elegant touches, especially the boarding champagne. The pillows on the chocolate would end up somewhere in the room but never consumed. NCL makes up for it with the choco-holic buffet. You want a chocolate fix, go to that! ;):)

Now for my rant: Seriously, this beating to death the champagne, chocolates on the pillow and now the new Lattitudes changes is getting WAY out of hand on this forum lately. ONE thread is all you need and here it is EVERYWHERE. If you don't like it then don't sail them again but to weed through and help new cruisers amongst all the ones bitching is just insane now. Keep it all together in ONE thread not 5-10! :p

that was my point when someone took offense to my comment. I didn't mean to sound so pissy, but this has been hashed over and over...

Nita

Clearly that is not the case and I am a bit disappointed of the outright attacks. They can love to cruise and can still enjoy NCL and be disappointed at the same time in the changes being made. If those posters are paying for the Cruises and using their own sign in names on this site and not being disrepectful then I believe they have every right to share how they felt for the money they spent regardless if it is positive or critical.

Lastly, I think the poster was not attempting to say that the Latitudes Receptions were gone and replaced with Champagne but rather the Captains Reception that used to be held for everyone on board not just Latitude Members was replaced by the champagne and now its gone.

Disappointed is one thing, but but when someone comes on the boards who rarely if ever posts and it is all negatives over things that really shouldn't make that much difference it does put people on the defense. What you think she said and what she said are 2 different things. There still are latitude receptions, what gave you the idea there were none? That being said, why wouldn't people respond to negatives if they have other opinions. You are saying it is ok to post negatives and we should not respond, but if I were to come on and say my last cruise was heaven and someone else had a bad experience on the same cruise would it bother you if they stated what they thought? Everyone has a right to share their views and opinions regardless..When a poster complains because they can not dish up their own food while admitting there had been a breakout of the noro virus the sailing before, don't you think this is a reason to respond to the poster in a less than positive way? And she did say, do not cruise NCL!!! That is about as negative as one can get. Don't you also think bitching about things like a small piece of choc. on a pillow is a bet petty?

I will add one more thing, read some of the other boards.. NCL board is probably the least critical than any. Yes, there are loyalists, me included but we can see both sides to most stories. There are a few lines where the loyalists are so loyal they would make you want to run for the hills.

Nita

I just have returned from a cruise (9 Day Canary Islands and Morocco) on Norwegian JADE. The service seems to be going from bad to worse. Now there is no welcome drink which had already replaced the Captain's cocktailduring the cruise. There are no more chocolates on the bedin the evening. Ice is also no longer provided in the Staterooms and the coffee-makers have also been removed.We cannot make coffee or tea. The staff has also been reduced. Following an eventual gastro virus alarm on the previous cruise, a strict disinfectant policy was in force during our cruise. I am of course in favour of disinfectant measures, but in the Garden Café, it was no longer self-service. One had to wait to be served and one also wondered if instructions had been given to try and reduce the portions!

Conclusion : Service level is low cost without low-cost prices.NCL has cut down in several areas. NCL is to be avoided.

.AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; } .AOLWebSuite a {color:blue; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer} .AOLWebSuite a.hsSig {cursor: default}

I was understanding this until I got to the part about no ice. I do not for one minute believe that. There rest has been reported and no one disputes. I suspect that this is a post that is meant to stir the waters.

We sailed on the Pride of Hawaii a few years ago. I think that ship is now the Jade. It was our first NCL cruise, our second overall. The Garden buffet was completely wrapped in Saran Wrap....every station, every kiosk. You had to stand in line to request to be served a glass of water. My travel buddy uses a scooter or wheelchair. The servers at the kiosks couldn't even see her to take her order. If you wanted a fork or a spoon, you had to request one from whomever was serving that particular food item. No trays were allowed to carry your food. We went from station to station, got some of what my friend wanted, tried to find a table, left her with some of her food while I went back to get the rest of what she wanted. I then went and stood in the line for water or beverages, took them to the table, then went back to see about something for myself. There were no staff members on hand to assist us. We'd heard that staff from other positions on the ship were pulled to help serve in the buffet.

This may had been true as we were in a a handicapped accessible balcony cabin and we saw our steward only once, the day before the cruise ended. Needless to say, we didn't eat meals in the buffet, just maybe some rolls on the day we disembarked. Last June we decided to try another cruise and booked the Dawn for November 29th. Yes, that's the cruise that was canceled due to engine troubles. We are now rebooked for March 7th. Will the third time be the charm?

I was understanding this until I got to the part about no ice. I do not for one minute believe that. There rest has been reported and no one disputes. I suspect that this is a post that is meant to stir the waters.

I have read elsewhere that if there is a Noro virus outbreak, the room stewards are prohibited from refilling the cabin ice buckets from that big ice chest they usually drag around, to reduce the chances of spreading the virus from one cabin to another. Since there was apparently an outbreak on this ship that procedure was likely in place. Unfortunately the OP assumed NCL no longer refills ice buckets.

Perhaps there is so much ranting because those elegant little touches made people feel like they were being treated really well and weren't just another dollar to the cruise line.

Now there is almost nothing to distinguish NCL from any other mass market line...A mistake in my opinion because it might lead otherwise loyal NCLers to see what other choices are out there and possibly select them

let a outbreak of N1H1 occur..and you ll find all kinds of bashing for not

taking appropriate precautions on the ship..

it s always either this or that..i d rather just stay healthy..deal with the few inconviences and enjoy the cruise i spent 2 social security checks on:D

lets discuss the color of the sky in a civil manner..:p

Luckily for me, when I was going on my first cruise I discovered CC.

I read that I would find a chocolate on the pillow.

Very stupidly, I thought folk meant a small box of chocolates !!!

I realy can't understand all this fuss about one single chocolate and a glass of bubbly.

I pity the poor waiters who most probably have so much more work since the coffee machines have been removed.

I have read elsewhere that if there is a Noro virus outbreak, the room stewards are prohibited from refilling the cabin ice buckets from that big ice chest they usually drag around, to reduce the chances of spreading the virus from one cabin to another. Since there was apparently an outbreak on this ship that procedure was likely in place. Unfortunately the OP assumed NCL no longer refills ice buckets.

The OP made assumptions that were very misleading instead of asking questions. OP didn't mention the flowers and salt and pepper shakers being removed from the tables. All the procedures are guidelines from CDC when a noro outbreak reaches certain levels, and they apply to ALL cruise lines.

I believe OP failed to mention other parts of the procedures because they didn't fit into the embellishment of the story being presented to this CC board. In other words, smashing NCL was the object, and only the things that would help attain this goal were mentioned. Falsely, I might add !!

I just have returned from a cruise (9 Day Canary Islands and Morocco) on Norwegian JADE. The service seems to be going from bad to worse. Now there is no welcome drink which had already replaced the Captain's cocktail during the cruise. There are no more chocolates on the bed in the evening. Ice is also no longer provided in the Staterooms and the coffee-makers have also been removed. We cannot make coffee or tea. The staff has also been reduced. Following an eventual gastro virus alarm on the previous cruise, a strict disinfectant policy was in force during our cruise. I am of course in favour of disinfectant measures, but in the Garden Café, it was no longer self-service. One had to wait to be served and one also wondered if instructions had been given to try and reduce the portions!

Conclusion : Service level is low cost without low-cost prices. NCL has cut down in several areas. NCL is to be avoided.

.AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; } .AOLWebSuite a {color:blue; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer} .AOLWebSuite a.hsSig {cursor: default}

I think this person is just out to stir things up as they say NCL is to be avoided but check out their signature (if in doubt look at page 1 top) I think it says they are sailing on the Dawn next. I know i'm new to all of this but isn't the Dawn an NCL ship.

like so many in the UK at the moment a choclate on the pillow or a glass of bubbly when i board is the least of my worries when there is the possibility of a British Airways cabin crew strike likely to take place on the dates when i have to fly to barcelona to begin our holiday ... chocs, bubbly forget that ... how i do i fly without wings ... and believe me it's a long walk......

Archived