Cruise ship poll just out..

Stakeout

Since when is the Prinsedam regarded as a "large" ship????

igraf

plus... it sounds like there are a lot of complainers out there.. oh well.. maybe the prices will drop on HAL a smidge when Carnival gets to reading all that.. :eek::D

Interesting poll Stakeout, thanks for posting. I would not consider the Sapphire Princess a Mega ship and certainly would not have classified the Prinsendam as a large ship, wonder who did the qualifications.

Happy cruising Stakeout, see your leaving soon on the Maasdam. Say hello to the piano player for me, he is a friend. His name is JP Nadeau.

I can't complain about the ship size rankings. Where would you draw the line? Their groupings are:

Small ship: 46-490 passengers

Large ship: 680-2104 passengers

Mega ship: 2501-3634 passengers

I would be more worried about their data collection. What questions were asked? Who performed the survey? How were participants selected? Were only Conde Nast readers involved? How many responded? What is the margin of error? The link makes it sound like all 15 million passengers took part:

"Unabashed by the economy, more than 15 million passengers sailed the seas in 2009, testing the waters on 18 new ships. How did they rate their experiences?"

I noticed that Insignia scored well in the cabin category. I Can only speak from experience. I found the balcony room the smallest of all the ships that I have been on. You could not walk normally between the end of the bed and the wall. The bathroom could only have been made for someone under 5 feet tall. I feel all these internet polls are useless.

I noticed that Insignia scored well in the cabin category. I Can only speak from experience. I found the balcony room the smallest of all the ships that I have been on. You could not walk normally between the end of the bed and the wall. The bathroom could only have been made for someone under 5 feet tall. I feel all these internet polls are useless.

Are you talking about Oceania's Insignia? We had a balcony cabin for a ta and there was plenty of room to walk. Maybe ours was larger. Also, my husband is 6'2", 250 lbs, and I am 5'9" and am overweight. Neither of us had problems with the bathroom size.

I must disagree with their results for the HAL crews. I don't think any line can beat them for friendliness or service and I would rate them all 100%.

Have you ever been on Oceania? .We've have close to 150 days on HAL & it has always been our favorite line ..The Prinsendam Crew was fantastic but overall Oceania has the other HAL ships beat in service & friendliness by a mile...

quote NMlady

Are you talking about Oceania's Insignia? We had a balcony cabin for a ta and there was plenty of room to walk. Maybe ours was larger. Also, my husband is 6'2", 250 lbs, and I am 5'9" and am overweight. Neither of us had problems with the bathroom size. 

We found Oceania's cabins to be a smaller than the normal HAL outside cabin but it was adequate & we had no problem with the bathroom..Like NMlady my DH is 6' 2" & he never had a cramped feeling using the bathroom.. Perhaps it's because we've spent many months at a time on our 33 " Sailboat.. Our combo. head/shower was the size of a standard telephone booth..LOL.IMO the Prinsendam's cabins are the best though, with the walk in closets..

One thing Oceania does not have that HAL has is the wonderful wrap=around Promenade deck, which we love..

Cheers...Betty

Quite interesting that the overall score for the top ships in the Mega category were so far below the scores for the other categories.

I wonder if that says something about the lack of personal attention that a mega ship has? Cruise lines seem to want to be the biggest, yet it appears their customers overall aren't as satisfied.

I don't remember saying that the room was not adequate. I simply stated that it was the smallest of all the ships that I sailed on. I do not think that adequate should get a high mark. I did not bring up the crew but , now that you did I found that some of the eastern european crew very rude to some of the passengers. Once again, only my observations. Even though I am taller and weigh as much as your husbands, I find it hard to believe that they were comfortable on that head.

Perhaps it's because we've spent many months at a time on our 33 " Sailboat.. Our combo. head/shower was the size of a standard telephone booth..LOL.IMO the Prinsendam's cabins are the best though, with the walk in closets..

One thing Oceania does not have that HAL has is the wonderful wrap=around Promenade deck, which we love..

Cheers...Betty

Yes, a small boat or traveltrailer will make you appreciate whatever you get on a ship.:rolleyes::D

We love the Prinsendam and all the small ships such as Oceania's three, Princess's three and Azamara's two.

We have cruised in both a verandah and a mini suite on Oceania, Azamara and Princess and only in a mini suite on the Prinsendam.

The Prinsendam's mini is the same size as the other ex "R" ships but one thing that the Prinsendam has over the others is the wonderful bathroom with the separate toilet. Also the big dressing room and of course the wonderful Indonesian and Philippino crew. No other ship has such caring and professional people to look after you.

We also love the wrap around deck on the Prinsendam. It is a beautiful ship and I only hope it hasn't been ruined with the latest additions.

Jennie

Perhaps it's because we've spent many months at a time on our 33 " Sailboat.. Our combo. head/shower was the size of a standard telephone booth..LOL.IMO the Prinsendam's cabins are the best though, with the walk in closets..

Cheers...Betty

Smaller boats -- mean better service

And the food on Oceania is far superior than anything HAL has to offer.

Also the cabin linen and the bed are extremely comfortable on Insignia and Regatta. Yes the bathroom is small but for Oceania they are stuck with this from the Renaissance ship design.

Smaller boats -- mean better service

And the food on Oceania is far superior than anything HAL has to offer.

Also the cabin linen and the bed are extremely comfortable on Insignia and Regatta. Yes the bathroom is small but for Oceania they are stuck with this from the Renaissance ship design.

We loved our 35 day experience on Oceania's Nautica but one thing I feel HAL has over Oceania are the beds. Our bed on the Prinsendam a couple of months ago was very comfortable.

Jennie

I don't remember saying that the room was not adequate. I simply stated that it was the smallest of all the ships that I sailed on. I do not think that adequate should get a high mark. I did not bring up the crew but , now that you did I found that some of the eastern european crew very rude to some of the passengers. Once again, only my observations. Even though I am taller and weigh as much as your husbands, I find it hard to believe that they were comfortable on that head.

Agree, you never said the room was not adequate, but you complained that you could not walk normally between the end of the bed & the wall..In addition you said the Bathroom was meant for a 5 ft. person & I disagree with you..

Very sorry that you find it hard to believe that my DH did not find the head/bathroom to be inadequate.. My Friends DH who is the same height & weight as my DH had no complaints about the Head/bathroom either..

It's obvious that you have not been on too many ships which are the size of Oceania's ships, however I'm surprised that you did not know in advance, that it was a small ship which only carries 660 Psgrs..The staterooms are considered somewhat cozy at 158 - 165 Sq feet ..Naturally small ships have smaller cabins & smaller heads..We did our homework in advance & expected our staterooms & bathrooms to be on a smaller scale..What did you expect?:confused:

Even HAL's Prinsendam which carries 855 Psgrs are only 181-191 Sq Ft., smaller than the other HAL ships..However the wonderful thing about the Prinsendam is the walk in closet..:) Even on the Prinsendam we had spotty service..Our DR Stewards were fantastic, but our Cabin Steward often forgot small things..His extra tip was not what we would normally give for fantastic service..

As I stated in my Post, perhaps our DH's did not complain, because both couples are sailboaters & we are used to the Telephone Booth size of the head/shower, which we had in our 33 ft. sailboats..

Both couples spent 5 months on our boats when we sailed them from Florida to Rhode Island & back..

Also agree, you did not bring up the crew on Oceania, but if you re-check my post you will see that I quoted & replied to User 8 in the same post...

Sorry, but don't agree with you about the Crew on Oceania..Everyone of them including the lady which cleaned the public toilets was charming to us & always asked us if we are having a nice day! ..We could not get out of the DR without every crew member thanking us for coming & telling us to have a nice day..In addition, one of the Matre d's questioned one Friend & asked why he never took a sweet roll from the Stewards tray.. When he said he could not eat sugar, they had no sugar buns ready for him every day without him asking for them..That to us was truly amazing..

Perhaps they were all friendly to us, because we always smiled & said Good morning to everyone...:)

We still love the HAL Crew's but have never had the fantastic overall service that we had on Oceania.. Unfortunately Oceania is more expensive, so we'll continue to sail on HAL..

Cheers...:)Betty

HolyCow! Calm down. I was not looking to get into a p-----g contest with you. As I stated, it was only my opinion. One good thing about opinions, everyone has one. Take the two posts above one liked Hal's linen and beds while the other went for Insignia's. Oh yes, and I still think those bathrooms are awful small.

Archived