Real cost of "specialty" restraurants?

I keep reading about the "additional" charges for meals in Chops or Portofino's specialty restaurants, something about $20 or so. Is that the price you pay to eat in one, plus the gratuity? Just curious. Reason I ask the question is seems like I read somewhere (maybe in this forum) about someone who had a meal for two at one of these restaurants and it cost them $150 or so. Just looking for the straight scoop from someone who has tried them.

Thanks.

I keep reading about the "additional" charges for meals in Chops or Portofino's specialty restaurants, something about $20 or so. Is that the price you pay to eat in one, plus the gratuity? Just curious. Reason I ask the question is seems like I read somewhere (maybe in this forum) about someone who had a meal for two at one of these restaurants and it cost them $150 or so. Just looking for the straight scoop from someone who has tried them.

Thanks.

$150.............no way. They must have ordered wine or something. It was $20 bucks a person, but I think it might have gone up to $25. That is per person and includes a tip, but we always leave more.

The only way it could have cost them $150 is if they had lots to drink or left a huge tip. The gratuity for Chops is (I believe) $25 and Portofino is $20. I've heard that actually is the tip and no need to leave extra, but we always do. Our service has always been outstanding. Did they maybe have a large group?

Thanks.

$20 for Portofino's and $25 for Chops. That includes the tip. However, you can tip extra if you want.

The surcharge covers food (one entree generally) and gratuity. All drinks are at standard bar pricing.

I've alway found that they bend over backwards for you. If you want 2 extra mains with extra sides, it's never been a problem. But I hardly ever have room for dessert. :)

Are the stand bar prices different than the prices at the bars were you sit down? :confused:

No the prices are the standard bar prices, that is the same price that is charged in any of the bars and lounges on the ship. Cute response though.:)

Thanks.

You may be thinking of 150 Central Park on Oasis where the wine pairing alone can add an additional $75/pp.

No the prices are the standard bar prices, that is the same price that is charged in any of the bars and lounges on the ship. Cute response though.:)

That one didn't work out too well. :o I'll have to work on that one.

Portofino has a special wine dinner one night. I didn't try it but I think is was listed as being $72 pp. It included a limited menu with wine. Sometimes they have a mystery dinner that is more expensive ($45? pp) than the regular meal. I believe that was also a limited menu.

Does the price include dessert? Does it include any beverages? For example, iced tea, coffee, soda?

The price includes dessert. Ice tea and coffee are normally free, so yes, that is included. Soda is not normally free, but since I don't drink it at dinner, I cannot say whether it is included or not.

I think that no matter where you might be on the ship, all drinks have the tip included.

That is true - even for the drinks that you find in your cabin. The question is, who gets the tip for the drinks in the cabin. The cabin steward or stewardess, who you are already tipping? Someone else?

Just off Serenade B2B 1/16 and 1/23.

Ate at Chops 2 times. Base price is now 25 p/p.

The first time, the Saturday night of the second week the B2B-ers were offered a 2 for 1 special which was too good to turn down. Before

going in I checked the wine list posted outside. You can calculate that you will pay 2 to 2.5 times the price you would pay on land for a bottle of wine. For example, a bottle of Ruffino Chianti Reserve which would normally run about 35-40 dollars on land was listed at close to $90! Which would bring you to $140 normally plus gratuity.

Alcohol was the standard bar prices.

The second time, we bid on and won an auction with proceeds going to Haiti relief to have dinner with Cruise director Dennis Charles and Hotel Director Thierry! Pretty cool! We paid a small premium for this one time treat.

DW had 7oz Petit Filet Mignon first visit and Rack of Lamb second, with warm Apple crumb cake both nights and English Breakfast tea.

I had New York Strip first week and 18 oz. Rib eye steak, followed by NY Cheesecake and Specialty coffee the first week. Rib eye was truly outstanding.

All entrees were cooked perfectly to order. Quality definitely a step above the MDR. Sides were plentiful with 8 or 9 choices listed. Baked potato was absolutely huge. Asparagus were perfect as was broccolini.

Just wanted a fruit plate which was not listed for desert and decaf coffee second week, not a problem. Dinner companion got gigantic vanilla ice cream and choc sauce (not on menu) no problem.

Presentation and service impeccable deserving of gratuity commensurate at your discretion.

I was resistent and hesitant at first to spend more money on food than what i got in the MDR, but I now am glad and suggest a visit at least 1 time on special occasion.

PS> Drink policy same as other bars, soda card applies.

$150 definitely sounds like a bottle (or two) of wine with the meal. DW and I love Chops and Portofino and frankly think that the extra charge is well worth the meal and the service (IMHO). Just booked Chops on the Oasis for our April cruise and we can't wait!

-------------------------

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

Proud RCCL Platinum Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." – Ben Franklin

We are proud Oasis Camel Cruiser – April 17, 2010

The Oasis Camels Website

Previous Cruises – 59 Days at Sea!

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2002

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/08

Planned Cruises

RCCL Oasis of the Seas – Our Friends Cruise - April 17, 2010

RCCL Allure of the Seas – Our Neighborhood Cruise - 2011

The BIG One - Southeast Asia 14 day – 2012?

Princess Cruises - The Med – 14 day – 2013?

The surcharge covers food (one entree generally) and gratuity. All drinks are at standard bar pricing.

I am afraid that isn't quite correct. On the Brilliance two weeks ago the cheapest wine in Chops was $35. The cheapest everywhere else on the ship was $25.

This is the singular reason why I won't be using a RCI speciality restaurant again.

Archived