New York to Caribbean 25 Nov 2010 QM2

eratog2

My friend and I have just booked our cruise for 25th November on the Queen Mary 2. I have sailed once before, 12 years ago, but it will be my friends' first ever cruise, and we are both so excited!

Any tips for two single ladies, both over 40, on what to avoid or what to enjoy. We are spending two nights in New York first, so that will be exciting as I have never been to the USA before, although Diane has been a couple of times. Of course we are already thinking about our wardrobe, but we will be restricted on luggage weight as we will be flying to the UK from Cyprus to pick up our Transatlantic flights, so will have to be very careful on luggage weight.

Any advice will be very welcome.

Many thanks

Jean

Hi Jean,

I will let more experienced Cunard passengers reply in more details, but as as a woman sometimes cruising with friends, I can say that you will enjoy yourselves. I cannot think of a single thing to avoid on a cruise. Given that you are going to the Caribbean, you may wish to arrange your own visits by just hiring a cab when you disenbark on some of the islands instead of booking the more expensive ship tours, but you may not see as much.

Too bad you have to be particularly mindful of luggage weight, because the "dressing for dinner" part is always fun (and then dressing for about anything else as well). If you need ideas or guidance, go see pictures posted on Cruise Critic. I am sure others can direct you to specific links with pictures that will give you a good idea of the way people dress on board.

Keep in mind that sailing out of NYC in December will be a bit chilly, at least for the first day, and maybe the second.

Thank you so much for your reply. We are thinking of ways to overcome the luggage part, and have one or two ideas, but planning is all part of the holiday isn't it? As it happens we were telling friends last night about the amazing deal we got, that they immediately rang the travel agent and booked it as well! Which lines have you cruised with?

Eratog2

Welcome, there is a rool call on the roll call board, that you may wish to join.

New York will be cool (cold) in November, as will UK, but you could wear an extra layer of clothers

Are you staying in London or just changing planes, also are you staying at hotel in New York or going straight to the ship.

On the second day at sea you will begin to hit the warmer weather. However the ship (to me) always feels cool so a cardigan or shawl is a good thing to pack. I always use a stole at dinner.

There are many things to do on board, lectures, bingo, trivia, films, library books to book out and read. Caribbean cruises have several ports, so you will be able to go to talks on what to see in port, and for a price ,book shore tours.

Although "doing it alone" is often mentioned.personally unless you are with a party of others, I would not recommend two lone women doing that.

You will enjoy your cruise I am sure.

Lynn

You will have a wonderful time. I spent 3 nights in NY before a TA four years ago with a friend (I was 45 then, she is a little older). We had great fun in NY and even more fun on the ship. We were lucky enough to get a table with 2 wonderful New York couples, who made our cruise. As you saying planning is half the fun (more than half for me, I get totally carried away!). Clothes-wise, if you have 1 fab pair of shoes that go with all your formal things, that saves room. And wraps and other accessories can change one item in to many.

I don't know if they still have gentlemen hosts but we made friends with a couple of them and we had fun with them as well. The dance classes were enjoyable too.

When my DH & I married last year, the only honeymoon I wanted was back to NY and a TA! I can recommend martinis in the Commodore Club, especially the Milky Way "after dinner" martini (incidentally the City Inn in Manchester appears to do a similar one which I will sample this weekend). The CC is also lovely for gazing out at the ocean with a book on one's lap...

Enjoy the planning, the dreaming and the reality.

My friend and I have just booked our cruise for 25th November on the Queen Mary 2. I have sailed once before, 12 years ago, but it will be my friends' first ever cruise, and we are both so excited!

Any tips for two single ladies, both over 40, on what to avoid or what to enjoy. We are spending two nights in New York first, so that will be exciting as I have never been to the USA before, although Diane has been a couple of times. Of course we are already thinking about our wardrobe, but we will be restricted on luggage weight as we will be flying to the UK from Cyprus to pick up our Transatlantic flights, so will have to be very careful on luggage weight.

Many thanks

Jean

Jean you and your friend are in for real treats. You have been given some excellent advice from some other posters already. Here a a few from me.

You will find that many of the stops allow you to wander about the port and get quite a nice adventure. If you decide to take a cab, in most places, you can and should negotiate the prices before you get into the taxi. For the most part US Dollars work well, so you don't need to exchange currency for most places. One warning, make sure your back at least one hour before scheduled departure. The ship will wait for Cunard tourers to return, but not people who go off on their own.

There are excellent free self serve laundry and pay dry cleaning facilities (and far less than hotel prices) aboard the ship , so you might consider bringing clothes that can be laundered and or dry cleaned.

Perhaps rather than bringing enough clothing for 10 or 12 days, you can pare the wardrobe down some, and use the on board facilities to refresh the items your bring.

As a guy, I usually try to bring a variety of ties and pocket squares as well as cumerbunds to make my limited wardrobe look a little more varied. I also make sure my bulk items ( the so called tidy whiteys and socks) get a frequent laundering, so a smaller number goes further.

Just some thoughts.

Enjoy your wonderful cruise.

Mike

Thanks everybody for your helpful replies. Yes, I have joined the roll call for this cruise, and since Diane and I booked on Wednesday afternoon, two friends of ours have also booked on the same cruise, so if we decide to "go it alone" there will be 4 of us, although from your tip about them waiting for the organised tour people, but not for independants, that is something to think about.

We are in a hotel in New York for two nights, so I am really looking forward to seeing the City as I have never been before, and, if I am honest to doing some shopping, and I will worry about getting it back to Cyprus later :)

Has anybody used the White Star Luggage Service? Just a thought that if we but another case and pack it with things we're not going to need, we can then ship that back! I recently went to the UK on holiday, and did that much shopping that I had to ship a full suitcase of things back - I used a company called wedelivertheworld.co.uk, so that is another option.

If I think of any more questions, don't worry, I'll be back . . . . .

Many thanks

Jean

The QM2 will be at sea on 11/25/10 returning to NYC. The QM2 starts your 11nt voyage on 11/27. :)

As you are spending a couple of days in NY, why not buy some of your dresses there, save on the weight from Cyprus. If then you are overweight for the return, you only pay excess baggage one way. And, if you are like my wife, I am sure you two would enjoy the shopping experience of NY, then there are the jewelry shops in St Thomas and St Kitts, I have not read the itinerary, but that was or is two of the usuall ports of call. Have a great cruise

FIRELT5 - thank you for putting my mind at rest - we are on this cruise and I was beginning to panic that I had booked our flights to NY on the wrong day .... phew!!

Eratog2 - QM2 is an amazing ship - we booked this cruise whilst on board her last September. Don't like wishing my life away - but can't wait.

Jen:

I will give you two of my favorite tips for poeple visiting New York City (I have lived here in Manhattan my entire life -- so far!)

First -- even with just two days before your sailing -- do try to visit the Frick Collection if you are an art lover. This small and stunning museum has one of the world's greaetest collections, it is very manageable, almost always quiet and just one of New York's finest (slightly hidden) jems. The Metropolitan Museum and MOMA are, of course, spectacular, but if your on a short visit, they can be a little overwhelming.

Second -- have fabulous Itallian food. Da Silvano on 5th Avenue just above Houston Street and St. Ambreouse on Madison between 86th adn 87th at two all-time favorites. Both are on the expensive side, but if you try either for a long, luxurious lunch you'll be delighted, and your pocketbook a little less damaged. There are so many great restaurants in New York, but it seems lately that the most interesting and best cooking is happening in our Itallian restaurants.

Thanks everybody for your helpful replies. Yes, I have joined the roll call for this cruise, and since Diane and I booked on Wednesday afternoon, two friends of ours have also booked on the same cruise, so if we decide to "go it alone" there will be 4 of us, although from your tip about them waiting for the organised tour people, but not for independants, that is something to think about.

We are in a hotel in New York for two nights, so I am really looking forward to seeing the City as I have never been before, and, if I am honest to doing some shopping, and I will worry about getting it back to Cyprus later :)

Has anybody used the White Star Luggage Service? Just a thought that if we but another case and pack it with things we're not going to need, we can then ship that back! I recently went to the UK on holiday, and did that much shopping that I had to ship a full suitcase of things back - I used a company called wedelivertheworld.co.uk, so that is another option.

If I think of any more questions, don't worry, I'll be back . . . . .

I use White Star Luggage all the time, and its a very good service. Having said that its also expensive, Especially for international service. In October, I sent 2- 50 lbs. bags from California to Southampton and back for USD 1500. I am using them for my next crossing, but the luggage service will be completely domestic so the cost for the same two bags is USD 675.

You might check with your air carrier and see what they would charge for extra or over weight bags, it may well be less.

Your idea to buy in NYC is an excellent one. Even with the USD up to the pound and euro, there are still values to be had in the US for Europeans. Keep in mind you going to be in NYC in the winter, and winter clothes will be what you find for sale.

If your itinerary calls at Ft. Lauderdale, you might be better off buying clothes there. On our last NYC to Caribbean cruise, we called at Ft. Lauderdale, and Cunard provided a free bus to the Ft. Lauderdale Galleria shopping center. There you will find Macy's, Neiman Marcus, Dillards as the major department stores, as well as many other shops. That might be a better option for getting lighter weight clothes usefull for the cruise.

Cheers Mike

Thanks everyone for your tips. Sorry if I confused you with the wrong date, the 25th is when we fly to New York, and sail on the 7th :o.

It probably would be costly to use the White Star service, so we are looking into how much excess baggage would be (just in case, of course ;)).

Sooo looking forward to both the stay in New York, and, of course, the cruise, especially as two friends have also booked on the same package.

Eratog2, After struggling with weight problems the last few years because of longer cruises, I'm now taking the easy way out. I bought all silk chiffon cocktail dresses that weigh practically nothing. After packing long gowns twice for the QM2 and seeing shorter cocktail dresses all over the ship on formal nights I caved. I love the idea of shopping in NYC for the cruise clothes but that could be risky unless you are the perfect height and weight for formal wear and as was pointed out, you won't find Caribbean casual wear in Nov.

We spent 2 days in NYC before our holiday cruise and took the Hop on Hop off all day bus tour that can be found every few blocks. I know that's not advice that any New Yorker would give because there are so many special things to see and do in NYC but for us novice NYC tourists only there for 2 days, we got to see the highlights and it was amazing. Also, you can spend as long as you like in any given area. It was an awesome experience that only NYC can offer. :)

Jen:

I will give you two of my favorite tips for poeple visiting New York City (I have lived here in Manhattan my entire life -- so far!)

First -- even with just two days before your sailing -- do try to visit the Frick Collection if you are an art lover. This small and stunning museum has one of the world's greaetest collections, it is very manageable, almost always quiet and just one of New York's finest (slightly hidden) jems. The Metropolitan Museum and MOMA are, of course, spectacular, but if your on a short visit, they can be a little overwhelming.

Second -- have fabulous Itallian food. Da Silvano on 5th Avenue just above Houston Street and St. Ambreouse on Madison between 86th adn 87th at two all-time favorites. Both are on the expensive side, but if you try either for a long, luxurious lunch you'll be delighted, and your pocketbook a little less damaged. There are so many great restaurants in New York, but it seems lately that the most interesting and best cooking is happening in our Itallian restaurants.

I second your choices.

The Frick is a treasure.....and St. Ambreouse is not far from the Frick. Lunch definitely!

Many thanks

Jean

You can easily pack for this cruise with one 24 inch checked bag and a carry on bag. I've been on this QM2 cruise and also fit in all my snorkel gear including fins. You don't need a lot of clothes. Wear your heavier clothes on the plane. The weather will be warm on the cruise and the clothes light weight. Take separates to mix and match; stick with a color scheme and bring accessories (jewelry, scarfs, etc.) to change the look. Don't bring formal wear that take up lots of space; select something that is classic and folds easily. You don't need a pocketbook/purse on board. A light weight, easy to fold tote/shopping style tote is handy in port. Limit shoes....one pair of shoes for evenings is enough if you select carefully; a pair of sandals; walking shoe/sneaker; casual shoe optional. Plan to wear everything at least twice. Best to have 2 swim suits if you enjoy beach or pool. There are self-service washers, dryers, laundry detergent, and irons on board. You can hand wash your underwear to save luggage space and time at the laundry. The bath products provided are very nice. There is a hair dryer, bathrobes, slippers, beach/pool towels provided in each cabin.

If you have more specific questions, I'll try to answer them.

You can easily pack for this cruise with one 24 inch checked bag and a carry on bag. I've been on this QM2 cruise and also fit in all my snorkel gear including fins. You don't need a lot of clothes. Wear your heavier clothes on the plane. The weather will be warm on the cruise and the clothes light weight. Take separates to mix and match; stick with a color scheme and bring accessories (jewelry, scarfs, etc.) to change the look. Don't bring formal wear that take up lots of space; select something that is classic and folds easily. You don't need a pocketbook/purse on board. A light weight, easy to fold tote/shopping style tote is handy in port. Limit shoes....one pair of shoes for evenings is enough if you select carefully; a pair of sandals; walking shoe/sneaker; casual shoe optional. Plan to wear everything at least twice. Best to have 2 swim suits if you enjoy beach or pool. There are self-service washers, dryers, laundry detergent, and irons on board. You can hand wash your underwear to save luggage space and time at the laundry. The bath products provided are very nice. There is a hair dryer, bathrobes, slippers, beach/pool towels provided in each cabin.

If you have more specific questions, I'll try to answer them.

You have summed that up so well and your correct with everything

There are so many things to do in NY and two days will not be sufficient. Two that my wife and I enjoy when we visit is afternoon tea at Takashimya dept. store on 5th avenue--near 55th or so. A different take on afternoon tea but very nice. Also, there is a program call Big Apple Greeters. With prior arrangement a local resident meets you at a specified place and takes you around a specific area of the city and tells you some of the history and local color. You can probably find them on the web. Another good option, as with most big cities, is the hop on hop off sightseeing bus to give you a nice overview of Manhatten. Of course the ship is grand with lots to do. Just avoid the constant sales pitches regarding stores to visit in the ports--unless you want to buy diamonds or watches and then you may want some recommendations. Have fun.

FIRELT5 - thank you for putting my mind at rest - we are on this cruise and I was beginning to panic that I had booked our flights to NY on the wrong day .... phew!!

Eratog2 - QM2 is an amazing ship - we booked this cruise whilst on board her last September. Don't like wishing my life away - but can't wait.

my husband and i have also booked this cruise can you please enlighten us on the dress code on non formal nites are jackets and ties needed to be worn on these nites?

I suppose it comes down to the saying "to each her own" I am quite sure that some people do consider travelling light is the only way to go, but personally ( and I do mean my own personal choice ) I enjoy wearing clothes that I never can wear in my "normal" life.

I consider the cost of the extra bag ($50 in total) on the flight to be part of the trip. I would rather do without a bottle of wine (or limit the number of my pre dinner drinks if cost is the problem) than limit my self to one small carryon. Heaven forbid eating in the Kings Court every night rather than dressing to code!

I will admit I do choose lightweight formals rather than heavily beaded items, you can pack 3 lightweight formals in place of just 1 heavily beaded jacket, or dress.

I also limit the number of shoes, now they weigh far too much.and I decant as many of my cosmetics as possible, those fancy jars are so heavy - and they are mostly empty space just to convince you that you are geting a lot for your money. Plastic does not look as good but it weighs far less.

I will admit I do choose lightweight formals rather than heavily beaded items, you can pack 3 lightweight formals in place of just 1 heavily beaded jacket, or dress.

When I'm looking at dresses, the first thing I do is lift its skirt while its still on the display - if its too heavy I don't even look at it again - so my dresses tend to be lightly decorated with emboidery or sequins / beads, rather than covered in them

:D

Hi Jean,

I will let more experienced Cunard passengers reply in more details, but as as a woman sometimes cruising with friends, I can say that you will enjoy yourselves. I cannot think of a single thing to avoid on a cruise. Given that you are going to the Caribbean, you may wish to arrange your own visits by just hiring a cab when you disenbark on some of the islands instead of booking the more expensive ship tours, but you may not see as much.

Too bad you have to be particularly mindful of luggage weight, because the "dressing for dinner" part is always fun (and then dressing for about anything else as well). If you need ideas or guidance, go see pictures posted on Cruise Critic. I am sure others can direct you to specific links with pictures that will give you a good idea of the way people dress on board.

Keep in mind that sailing out of NYC in December will be a bit chilly, at least for the first day, and maybe the second.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO Mandarine Bleue: You also don't want to be like the Buckets from a BBC sitcom. On their voyage on the QE2 they were always changing their clothes and running back to their stateroom. They really couldn't enjoy their cruise.

Yes jackets and ties are required on non-formal nights. Just jackets are required on elegant casual nights.

thank you for your reply do you any helpful tips this is are first cruise and ould be grateful for any helpfil info we are in new york 2 nites before cruise.

Archived