Getting Bumped from a Family Ocean View??

I just booked 7200 on the Voyager for the Transatlantic crossing in November. It allowed me to book it with two people. It took my deposit and gave me a reservation number. I printed out my confirmation and my balance due page.

Now the question is can they bump me.......anyone know? Has anyone booked one before and been able to keep it?

I will be one happy camper if I get to keep this room. We always have a balcony, but weren't going to book one on a transatlantic because of all of the sea days.

We booked it on Jewel in 2008 for 2 adults and a three year old. Loved it!! I am hoping to book one again for Alaska next year. Do they bump people who already have a stateroom assigned? I hope not. I guess it's possible if they want to upgrade you, but the FO is bigger than the balcony cabins.

If for some reason a group or family wants or needs that room RCCL will give you an upgrade. But, as was mentioned before the cruise line is good with knowing what types of people cruise what routes and if they thought this room was going to be book by larger group or family they would never have unlocked it. (Lots of past cruise data, time, money, are greatly spent by RCCL to make sure they get the most out of every ship.)

I remember reading a thread not that long ago (month or two) from someone who had booked an aft D1 on one of the Voyager class ships (Mariner maybe?) for 2 people. The cabin had a sofa bed so it could accommodate 3 people. They got bumped to a side D1 cabin without the sofa bed so a party of 3 could have the cabin with the sofa bed. I remember the person was really PO'd because no one from RC had contacted him/her about the switch and no upgrade/compensation was offered for removing them from the aft cabin. I can't remember if s/he posted any follow-up on the situation.

If a family wants the cabin, I don't know if RC will bump you or not. Maybe if you request "no upgrades" on your reservation then you won't get moved. I started asking for "no upgrades" on my reservation since I discovered that I prefer aft cabins. I've only been moved once and that time was from a hump cabin to another hump cabin so it didn't make a difference.

They do open up those cabins to get them sold...so take advantage and enjoy....like was said they if they need the cabin can always upgrade you.

Dave,

What would you consider an upgrade to be from a FO? I am booking for the extra space not a balcony. Now a JS or higher with a balcony might not be bad. The kicker on this is all that extra room and I can't over pack. ;)

We booked a large oceanview and then watched our sailing every day. After about 3 weeks, three family oceanview cabins became available. I assumed they were opened up for parties of less than 5 since they had not sold.

One call to our agent and them to RCCI and once the line confirmed our crown & anchor details, they gave us the upgrade. We even got money back because the rates had come down.

Dave,

What would you consider an upgrade to be from a FO? I am booking for the extra space not a balcony. Now a JS or higher with a balcony might not be bad. The kicker on this is all that extra room and I can't over pack. ;)

I would consider RS, RFS, OS, GS upgrades...JS not so much since it would in most cases be less space...

If only 2 folks any of the full suites would give plenty of space and all the upgraded amenities as well as a balcony...

Hi, You just have to watch what RCCL considers an "upgrade". Moving to a higher category in a noisy or inconvenient location is NOT an upgrade in my opinion. While preparing for my last cruise, I spent some time on the disabled boards and found out the cruiseline will "upgrade" them from one category to a higher one, but, the new room is not handicapped accessible. They need to pay more attention to that kind of thing, but, apparently they don't. I also think they should never move you without your permission. They should call and give you an oppurtunity to see the deck plan before you agree to move...IMHO...Maureen

If a Family Ocean View is on the RCL website and is allowing you to book it for just two people, can they bump you from the room?

I don't want to book something that they won't allow me to keep.

Yes, they can bump you, but that's not unique to FOV cabins, they can bump anyone from any cabin. It's not particularly likely in any case, but it's a little more likely when you're in a cabin that holds more people than you have booked, is adjoining, or has some other special feature.

• 1 month later...

My guess is probably not.

We've tried to book FOVs before (we need one with 4 children under 12), and they're usually sold out on us, even several months in advance (last minute cruising isn't an option for us). They've never offered to check to see if one is under-occupied that we might be able to get.

It would be nice to cruise with the kids more, but it is cost-saving for us to be left with the options of 1) not cruising or 2) finding someone for the kids to stay with and booking just a regular 2 person cabin.

We have wanted to book one of those cabins, but we have been dissuaded due to the advice that we could be bumped because it would only be my wife and myself. As a matter of fact, on some cruises where our balcony cabin was next to one of those, I have noted that they were always occupied by at least three people.

Archived