Why so much Alcohol???

Destiniiii

So many threads on this board talk about smuggling alcohol on to the ships. I am curious, being that I am a non drinker, why would everyone bring so much alcohol? Is it because you don't want to pay the incredible high prices of the drinks on the ship? (which I totally understand) Is it that you like drinking a lot on your vacation? Do you drink to get drunk? Buzzed? or just to relax? When do you have that first drink? My last roommate smuggled on vodka in water bottles. She started drinking first thing in the morning with OJ. By the time I got back to the room at night, she was already passed out sleeping, and nothing woke her up. LOL

I am only curious to know why?

This is my first cruise on Carnival, I have avoided Carnival because it had a reputation as being a PARTY cruise line. But nowadays, the price is too good to pass up.

This is my first cruise on Carnival, I have avoided Carnival because it had a reputation as being a PARTY cruise line. But nowadays, the price is too good to pass up.

What:confused: You didn't know that we also smuggle on other lines:confused: And what line did your roomy smuggle on?

So many threads on this board talk about smuggling alcohol on to the ships. I am curious, being that I am a non drinker, why would everyone bring so much alcohol? Is it because you don't want to pay the incredible high prices of the drinks on the ship? (which I totally understand) Is it that you like drinking a lot on your vacation? Do you drink to get drunk? Buzzed? or just to relax? When do you have that first drink? My last roommate smuggled on vodka in water bottles. She started drinking first thing in the morning with OJ. By the time I got back to the room at night, she was already passed out sleeping, and nothing woke her up. LOL

Yes..

What:confused: You didn't know that we also smuggle on other lines:confused: And what line did your roomy smuggle on?

She smuggled it on NCL. I have been on Princess, RCI and I guess I was clueless when it came to smuggling alcohol on board the ship. RCI took my alcohol that I bought in Mexico for my sister and held it for me until the end of the cruise.

She smuggled it on NCL. I have been on Princess, RCI and I guess I was clueless when it came to smuggling alcohol on board the ship. RCI took my alcohol that I bought in Mexico for my sister and held it for me until the end of the cruise.

NCL:confused: Wow she is good......that's one of the hardest:D

The marked error in your post is this :

"why would everyone bring so much alcohol? Is it because you don't want to pay the incredible high prices of the drinks on the ship? (which I totally understand)"

Any hotel in the USA of Holiday Inn or better quality has bar prices as high or higher than Carnival. And medium upscale restaurants or lounges also have prices in the same range or much higher than Carnival's. The prices are NOT high for a quality bar or lounge. You shouldn't know that being a non-drinker but the smugglers either live in caves, frequent dive bars or are just being CHEAP. Claiming its because Carnival's prices are too high just is not a fact.

And smuggling does happen on all mass market lines.

"why would everyone bring so much alcohol? Is it because you don't want to pay the incredible high prices of the drinks on the ship? (which I totally understand)"

Any hotel in the USA of Holiday Inn or better quality has bar prices as high or higher than Carnival. And medium upscale restaurants or lounges also have prices in the same range or much higher than Carnival's. The prices are NOT high for a quality bar or lounge. You shouldn't know that being a non-drinker but the smugglers either live in caves, frequent dive bars or are just being CHEAP. Claiming its because Carnival's prices are too high just is not a fact.

Yeah we all live in caves, hang out in dive bars and are just plain cheap..........and while we are at it......we bring our own cots so we have a place to crash in the bars.......because the nice hotel rooms with the comfy beds in which we can bring our own booze is way too dang expensive:D

It's because I smuggle on a high quality brand of alcohol that the ships don't offer (And 'cause of the discount too! :p). I like to drink very good booze and smoke very good cigars on my vacations that are not available from the cruise lines. If it wasn't such a PIA, I'd smuggle on very good coffee and coffee brewers as well.

So much hatred (not you, OP) for others' individual decisions.

Yeah we all live in caves, hang out in dive bars and are just plain cheap..........and while we are at it......we bring our own cots so we have a place to crash in the bars.......because the nice hotel rooms with the comfy beds in which we can bring our own booze is way too dang expensive:D

K,

It always comes back to THIS:

How many hotels do you stay in where you have agreed while booking that you would not bring any alcohol into the hotel? NONE, I imagine. Because if they had that rule, you would noy stay there. How is it OK for you to agree to not do it on a cruiseline and then BREAK YOUR OWN WORD?

K,

How many hotels do you stay in where you have agreed while booking that you would not bring any alcohol into the hotel? NONE, I imagine. Because if they had that rule, you would noy stay there. How is it OK for you to agree to not do it on a cruiseline and then BREAK YOUR OWN WORD?

And it always comes back to this.........how many bars and restaurant do you spend the night at.......or more like seven days:rolleyes: I would suspect none........

I tried it once years ago and got caught and never tried again If people do it it doesnt affect what I do but it does amaze me on how many people do it and the amounts

It isnt just Carnival either Ive seen it on Princess and RCCL as well figure there is 20-25 shots in a liter of booze Thats a week worth of drinking for me I prefer to drink different drinks on different days so It doesnt work for me as I would have to bring a bar full to have a selection it is easier just to have them make me a drink

I drink prob 3-6 drinks a day on a cruise and have $200-300 bar tab I just figure that into my expenses for the vacation along with airfare and hotel

I do know it is alot cheaper to drink on a cruise than it is at a ball game I have season tix to the Giants and Niners and its almost $10 a beer:eek:

And its about the same price I pay for drinks when I go out to a restaurant

All people who drink regularly dont always drink in bars if you buy in a store the the price is markedly lower compared to a bar or cruise ship.

K,

I won't speak for K -- but for me, it comes down to this: I tend to ignore rules that I find capricious and/or without merit.

I don't believe that I am doing anything ILLEGAL or UNETHICAL by taking my own alcohol onboard. I'm not hurting anyone else nor causing trouble for anyone else.

I understand that Carnival would prefer that I don't bring my own booze, in order to increase their profit margins.

I would prefer not to increase their profit margin (any more than I already have) and thus I bring a small quantity of my own booze. And it doesn't bother my conscience one little bit. (Perhaps the fact that I know I'll purchase plenty of drinks on my Sail & Sign card helps me avoid the guilty feelings!)

There are very few bars and restaurants that charge $6 for a Miller Lite. Even bars and restaurants in Vegas, which are relatively expensive, don't charge that.

I generally avoid all alcohol during the day. A cruise is a very active lifestyle for me, especially in port. Now, I may have a beer if it is offered on an excursion during the day, but generally I get too tired at night if I drink during the day.

When evening comes, around 5 PM to 6 PM and we are back in the cabin, I like to listen to music (I bring a small iPod dock), DW watches TV and I have my coveted smuggled liquor.

I'm totally not in the mood to sit at a bar, and getting ready for dinner over a couple of cocktails fits the bill. I like to catch a good buzz but not get totally s#itfaced drunk, as that embarrsses DW and I have to hear about it the next morning.

It takes a number of drink before I am where I want to be so:

1. I'd rather not consume them at a bar
  2. If I had to pay bar prices to catch a buzz I'd spend more on alcohol than on cruise fare.

I have kids to put through college and a retirement to fund. Carnival's not getting any more of that in overpriced alcohol, if I can help it!:D

I generally avoid all alcohol during the day. A cruise is a very active lifestyle for me, especially in port. Now, I may have a beer if it is offered on an excursion during the day, but generally I get too tired at night if I drink during the day.

When evening comes, around 5 PM to 6 PM and we are back in the cabin, I like to listen to music (I bring a small iPod dock), DW watches TV and I have my coveted smuggled liquor.

I'm totally not in the mood to sit at a bar, and getting ready for dinner over a couple of cocktails fits the bill. I like to catch a good buzz but not get totally s#itfaced drunk, as that embarrsses DW and I have to hear about it the next morning.

It takes a number of drink before I am where I want to be so:

1. I'd rather not consume them at a bar
  2. If I had to pay bar prices to catch a buzz I'd spend more on alcohol than on cruise fare.

I have kids to put through college and a retirement to fund. Carnival's not getting any more of that in overpriced alcohol, if I can help it!:D

You tell it brother.;)

If it wasn't such a PIA, I'd smuggle on very good coffee and coffee brewers as well.

Amen to that! Poor coffee quality is the one consistent downside to cruising. I've always wondered if the free coffee is bad on purpose to drive business to the pay coffee shops! ;)

Honestly...because we could.

My first 5 or 6 cruises I didn't take a drop on board, then I found Cruise Critic. Read how easy it was and tried it and it worked. I didn't and still don't live in a cave, but I have stayed at about 75 Holiday Inns:) And I do go to the occasional dive bar.

I'd like to take a 12 pack on board for the two of us, but if they enforce the rules that are clearly stated, I'm not going to get mad. If the recent prices posted on CC are correct, I do think raising a 16 ounce beer from $4.75 to $5.75 before grat is a Big increase and will result is us buying less.

Archived