Alaskan cruisewear...looking for online shopping

lanabanana78

I need suggestions for finding some moderate weight (like fleece vests) for an Alaskan cruise. Also for hat/scarf/gloves. I'm trying to find some end of season winter clothing sales to get it cheap! Suggestions????

Thanks!

Land's End always carries clothing for all seasons:)

I need suggestions for finding some moderate weight (like fleece vests) for an Alaskan cruise. Also for hat/scarf/gloves. I'm trying to find some end of season winter clothing sales to get it cheap! Suggestions????

Thanks!

We have an AK cruise booked for May. I found very inexpensive fleece jackets, hat/gloves, and scarf as well as thermal underwear, online at www.haband.com

I buy tons of stuff from Sierra Trading post and Lands End - esp their Overstock section. Just got a fabulous down coat (for the weekend I just spent in Milwaukee) for $39. Lands End purchases can be returned to Sears stores, and while you have to pay to return shipments from Sierra Trading Post, their prices are so good, and their customer service so wonderful - it's worth it to me. I've been a loyal customer for 10+ years...

OP excuse me, but can you not find this at home in Oklahoma? Do you have a Target, KMart, Fred Meyer or Wal Mart near you? I should think everything you mentioned would be readily available in most every area. You really don't need anything special for Alaska; even on a cool day it will not be "cold". Dollar stores carry gloves if you need them.

I'm not being facetious or sarcastic, just seriously addressing your questions. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions! And to Langley...yes, there are plenty of those stores in OK, but as someone who lives in a small town, I rely on a lot of online shopping since I don't always make it to Tulsa or OKC when I need things. Online is just much easier!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions! And to Langley...yes, there are plenty of those stores in OK, but as someone who lives in a small town, I rely on a lot of online shopping since I don't always make it to Tulsa or OKC when I need things. Online is just much easier!!!
As someone who lives in BFE North Carolina, I completely agree with you. Sure, I can drive 60 miles and find the stores, but sometimes I just want to order it online.

Plus - quality of clothing from Lands End or Sierra or LL Bean or REI will be FAR greater than quality from Walmart or Target and consequently last a lot longer. I STILL wear the LLBean duck boots I've had since 1987....I can't think of any clothing I've bought at Target or Walmart that lasts more than a couple years (I still do it - I'm an equal opportunity shopper, but I tend to prefer to buy things that will last if the price is right) Oh - another reason I shop the way I do - I don't buy clothing just for cruises - everything I wear on a cruise I wear in other aspects of my life....

I second Sierra Trading Post....I got a $220 Columbia "system" jacket for $50 from them. It was perfect for hiking on glaciers for my cruise last August. I think I got it about this time of year, last year, when winter stuff was going on sale. Also recommend LLBean for a very lightweight fleece jacket, I think it's designed for athletic endeavors and so is very thin. You can wear it without knowing it 's on you. You need a couple of sets of long underwear, one silk and one a little heavier, to put under your regular clothes to make them "Alaska appropriate".

We have an Alaska Cruise/Tour scheduled for mid-June. I am very cold natured. When I pack for a cruise, my dh and I only take a carry-on bag each. Therefore packing for a cold area cruise presents a packing problem. So, I just purchased some silk undershirt & long pants to layer under my pants. I got them from Sierra Trading Post very cheap, under $20.00 each piece. Silk keeps you cozy warm and they are very, very thin and will go a long way to help achieve my goal of packing only in a carry-on and a small back-pack each.

Archived