How do you keep your luggage tags on?

ntengwall

Just got my luggage tags last night for our March 19th sailing. I thought I read on here that they can fall off quite easily and cause your luggage to be MIA for quite some time. Is there any trick you guys use to secure your tags onto your bags more securely? Thanks!

I don't put them on until the morning of the cruise..less time for them to fall off...I also normally put on two...one on each of the handles...then if one falls off I still have the other on...this is really important with the new ones you print up yourself..ordinary paper is not very strong

I just get the ones from the porter and write my cabin number on it with a sharpie (which the porters usually have)...

We've always done online check-in and therefore haven't seen luggage tags for years...

If you're flying, make sure you don't put the tags on until you reach the port... once saw someone putting their's on at the airport as they checked in... if they were still on when they landed it would have been a miracle...

Have always peeled back a section on each end and put one on each handle, but the new tags are thinner, so like the idea from Gon2hwe. We also don't put them on until we leave for the ship, but the last trip one ripped off in the shuttle from the hotel, and luckily we noticed so got a replacement from the porter.:)

There were a considerable number of bags without tags remaining on the last cruise, as several people were still looking for theirs after dinner and it wasn't because of booze.

I just get the ones from the porter and write my cabin number on it with a sharpie (which the porters usually have)...

We've always done online check-in and therefore haven't seen luggage tags for years...

If you're flying, make sure you don't put the tags on until you reach the port... once saw someone putting their's on at the airport as they checked in... if they were still on when they landed it would have been a miracle...

My MIL's luggage was lost (temporarily, thank goodness) and it was delivered to the ship before leaving port just in the nick of time. She swears by the tags she put on her bags at the airport. Now, she won't have it any other way, and she always has leftovers to replace in case they did fall off in transit.

I laminate my luggage tags and tie them on with a ribbon!

Good idea! Not sure why I didn't think of that since I just bought a $60 laminator for my house (I needed it to laminate study cards for my massage therapy class). See, that is why I come to these boards :D

Just put a paper on the inside of your luggage with your info, cabin,ship,etc., and your name and address.

Also, take a digital pic of your luggage for showing to the room steward, its easier than trying to describe it.

If the outside tag comes off, your info is inside. And they will look trying to find out who's luggage this is.

We simply put a strip of masking tape in an obvious place on our bags and write our name & cabin number on it in addition to the luggage tags and we've had no problems - a couple of tags have been torn off but the tape is always on.

My MIL's luggage was lost (temporarily, thank goodness) and it was delivered to the ship before leaving port just in the nick of time. She swears by the tags she put on her bags at the airport. Now, she won't have it any other way, and she always has leftovers to replace in case they did fall off in transit.

Your MIL has the right idea. When flying to a port never put cruise tags on before you leave home. Always do it after you have collected your luggage at the airport.

Just put a paper on the inside of your luggage with your info, cabin,ship,etc., and your name and address.

Also, take a digital pic of your luggage for showing to the room steward, its easier than trying to describe it.

If the outside tag comes off, your info is inside. And they will look trying to find out who's luggage this is.

Great idea, however for people that lock their luggage, this would not work.

First, real luggage tags are plentiful from the porters before you board the ship. It only takes a second!

Second, LOCK your bags! Put any identifying info into an outer pocket...that way, your luggage doesn't have to be opened to find who it belongs to. Your name and cell phone #--NEVER your home address!!! should be on there, along with your itinerary!

There are two different types of luggage tags.

If you are referring to the paper ones that come with the e-docs - we just laminate them and then use plastic ties to secure them to the suitcase.

If you are referring to the ones with the sticky stuff on the back - we just fasten them to our bags before we leave for the ship. Like Aquahound, we peel off the entire back so that it can't get stuck on anything.

We also have luggage tags on our bags with our name. So if the bag did get lost they could still see who it belongs to.

Always a good idea, the airline employees are usually told to remove all tags that have barcodes. When the bags bags are sent down the belt theyre sorted by the barcodes on the airline luggage tags, any other barcode might confuse the system and get the bag lost

Archived