New to Princess "Flash Promotion"?

tcha

Looking to book a cruise 4/4/10. When I called Princess a few minutes ago they had a 7 day S Carib for $399. Called it a Flash Promotion... no insurance avail.. no refund. Any thoughts?

Flash promotions also work if they coincide with when your final payment is due, but sometimes they last only a few hours.

Few cruises back my brother called TA around 5pm to make his final payment and got an additional $90 off due to flash promotion. We called at 9pm and the flash was over. I was a bit annoyed! I learned that when one of us call our final payment and hear "flash", call IMMEDIATELY because a few hours later may be too late to get the savings!

Flash promotions also work if they coincide with when your final payment is due, but sometimes they last only a few hours.

Few cruises back my brother called TA around 5pm to make his final payment and got an additional $90 off due to flash promotion. We called at 9pm and the flash was over. I was a bit annoyed! I learned that when one of us call our final payment and hear "flash", call IMMEDIATELY because a few hours later may be too late to get the savings!

Do they "flash" on the website or just by phoning in? Do you get an email? How do you become aware of these "flash" sales?

Flash promos sell fast and yes they are non-refundable, non-transferable and no insurance avail. I would only do this if you are absolutely sure you can go. Also look into 3rd party insurance.

Absolutely look into a third party insurance company. Any good T/A will have info on several reputable companies.

Bob

I saw the promo right on the regular search page. I could not believe that a 7 day cruise would go for $399. This morning I looked again before work...$379. When I got home from school, it was back to $499.However, on an internet cruise site, I found the same cruise for $358. Anyone ever book using these sites?

I used Travel Guard on a few trips and buy whats called Travel Guard Gold. It is cheaper than Princess' insurance and the Gold Policy covers "cancel for any work reasons" which is not offered by Princess' insurance. It is one step up from the regular policy but it covers much more.

I make final payment Monday March 8th for my May cruise and will call Travel Guard on Monday or Tuesday to cover my entire trip. I include the cruise cost and also include the $421.00 I paid for airfare so I will have coverage on the whole trip.

If you buy the insurance when you book the trip (within a few days I think) the insurance covers even more stuff. I have had good experiences with Travel Guard and they were recommended by my TA a few years ago. (800)826-4919

Yesterday we book a W Carib 4/24 on Crown for $300 less than NCL wanted. So back to Princess we go as Platinum members. But no insurance with a Flash Prmotion. So Access America for $88 for Gold policy was the winner.

We are flying in the night before to FLL & staying at Hampton Inn N Port. They pick you up at the airport after you phone them on their phone at the airport. Then sleep in the great beds. Free breakfast next morning & they take you to the ship . Major money saving there and we use HH points for free night.

My husband got a call from a new TA who books plenty of Princess. They had just received a FLASH PROMO from them & had a $1300 BA balcony on Caribe deck for us on Crown to W Carib and that was total cost with taxes & government fees. But no insurance with Flash Promos, so we got Access America a Gold policy for $88. And it includes his diabetes coverage. So he grabbed it, then called CO, we are hub for them in CLE and told them about my BD, so I fly free & he used 50K miles for RT CLE-FLL. Then we have a gift cert from Hilton, so he calls Hilton Honors & when they heard we booked Princess, they stated they have the perfect hotel for us Hampton Inn North Port on 12th Ave. Se tells him that we call them from their phone at the airport & they pick us up. Great king bed on top floor reserved, some BD goodies for me added which we are GOLD Hilton, and free breakfast & then they take us to the ship. This is great! Then when we return, we hop their van at the port to go to the airport. ALL FREE! So keep this hotel for your stays too.

Do they "flash" on the website or just by phoning in? Do you get an email? How do you become aware of these "flash" sales?

Flash promos sell fast and yes they are non-refundable, non-transferable and no insurance avail. I would only do this if you are absolutely sure you can go. Also look into 3rd party insurance.
No need for insurance with such a low price

I just booked our first Princess cruise!! Took the flash Promo 7 days for $379. Will call Travelguard today. Now must book airfare... will the prices continue to go up from here on out ? (cruise is April 4th) Is $650 too much roundtrip from Dulles to San Juan?

I saw the promo right on the regular search page. I could not believe that a 7 day cruise would go for $399. This morning I looked again before work...$379. When I got home from school, it was back to $499.However, on an internet cruise site, I found the same cruise for $358. Anyone ever book using these sites?

Just make sure it is a reputable site so the money you pluck down will be safe.....:):):)

Bob

No need for insurance with such a low price

......unless you have to cancel due to unforseen illness, death in the family, natural disaster (see Chile Earthquake thread); work-related issues; something else goes wrong at home; you have a medical issue while traveling, etc., etc...and you can afford to lose the cost of the cruise + the airfare. Perhaps you can afford that - most of us could not, nor would we wish to if we could.

For an example: My DH developed a severe attack of kidney stones and was hospitalized the very day we were to fly out to catch a cruise. He was perfectly fine the evening before, but woke up the next moring in excrutiating pain. Sure was glad we had travel insurance for that one! You never know what life's gonna throw at ya' - so, why not be prepared? :confused:

Since the cost of insurance is based on the cost of the trip, it would cost the OP a minimum $ amount to take the precaution - just in case...;)

And my mother-in-law had to be hospitalized in Greece while on a cruise. The insurance company took care of her hospital stay, the hotel for my father-in-law, and the changes to the flights back home. They refunded them the missed portion of their cruise. Plus they hired a student nurse to accompany my MIL on the flight back to the U.S.

All in all, I hope never to have to use our insurance like my in-laws did, but it gives me a peace of mind to have it in case we do.

And my mother-in-law had to be hospitalized in Greece while on a cruise. The insurance company took care of her hospital stay, the hotel for my father-in-law, and the changes to the flights back home. They refunded them the missed portion of their cruise. Plus they hired a student nurse to accompany my MIL on the flight back to the U.S.

All in all, I hope never to have to use our insurance like my in-laws did, but it gives me a peace of mind to have it in case we do.

Absolutely, 100% agree with you! There was a passenger on our Oosterdam cruise in November of '09 that had to be med-evac'd off the ship and flown back to San Diego. The US Coast Guard did the evacuation and the cost must have been astronomical, as I heard one of the "O's" officers remark that he "..hoped the passenger had taken out Travel Insurance."

Who knows what can happen to any of us at any time??? My favorite quote (from the character 'Gus' [Rober Duvall] in "Lonesome Dove") is:

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it." ;)

• 5 months later...

I would "GO FOR IT" but take insurance to protect everyone in case of an Emergency. Insurance will be "LOW" as it is based on the Fare. Hope You can all go and enjoy a great cruise.....IKE

Archived