Liquor in a wine bottle?

bigshowble

Not commenting on the appropriateness or need to engage in high-school pranks, but...

If you pack a bottle of anything in checked luggage when flying, your bag will be inspected by hand. Your bag might not arrive with you. It's happened to us several times coming home when we've packed bottles in our checked bags. The bags show up a day later with a little note from TSA.

We took a scope bottle, washed it in the dishwasher & rinsed it 12 times in hot water. Air dried it & poured a bottle of Grey Goose into it. It made it onboard NCL but the taste was quite minty!

Water bottles sound better.............

We put 2 cases of beer in a carry on. We told them what was inside, Wheeled it up and put it on the belt. They said have a great cruise. We have never had any problem taking alcohol on the ship. We still spend lots on the ship so I don't feel guilty. Carol

We took a scope bottle, washed it in the dishwasher & rinsed it 12 times in hot water. Air dried it & poured a bottle of Grey Goose into it. It made it onboard NCL but the taste was quite minty!

I have used Dasani water bottles for many trips and they work great, much more rugged and puncture resistant than rum runners.

You can even lay one on its side and stand on it with no leakage. The key is to fill the bottle.

Mike:)

• 10 months later...
Not commenting on the appropriateness or need to engage in high-school pranks, but...

If you pack a bottle of anything in checked luggage when flying, your bag will be inspected by hand. Your bag might not arrive with you. It's happened to us several times coming home when we've packed bottles in our checked bags. The bags show up a day later with a little note from TSA.

It seems like everytime we go on vacation one of our bags has a note from the TSA saying they inspected it by hand. I have never had one be delayed though and arrive a day later. I would think they would contact you to open it if they were that concerned about it. This last time when we went to Jamaica and we bought an adult magazine placed it right on top and attached a sticky note that said "TSA please enjoy!" Of course it did not get opened.

Serious waste of some fine Grey Goose. :( (C'mon people... this does NOT need to be discussed for the millionth time).

You can purchase new foils and shrink wrap them with hair dryer. Also, make sure you use the correct color of bottle for your "wine." Don't fill up a Chardonnay bottle with clear liquor -- use a Riesling or red wine bottle.

Why are there always so many threads on this?

I think there's so much discussion of this because many people have cruised on other lines which are not so lenient, some absolutely allow no booze to be carried onboard. So these folks are asking what happens on Princess.

The fact that P. allows us to bring on wine is a major reason its our favourite cruiseline.

So, people, lets not spoil it by cheating the system and advertising it!!!:D

Cheers, Annabelle

Princess is very lenient about bringing on alcohol in the departing port, but any other ports they are just as strict as the other cruise lines. so when you get into a port and buy a bottle of liquor, then you should start thinking about some of these tricks. I have had liquor taken twice and I wasn't obvious about bringing it on. They looked.

One thing that worked for me in one of the ports was to buy a one liter bottle of sprite, dump out the sprite, fill it with light rum, and reseal. Unless they looked carefully, they could not tell that it was rum.

With beer I usually take 2 or 3 bottles on at a time making several trips. I do this all the time at Crown Bay as there is a liquor store at the foot of the pier that sells beer. Don't really save too much in most places, but when I'm on a cruise I like to enjoy something other than BudMillerCoors.

I think there's so much discussion of this because many people have cruised on other lines which are not so lenient, some absolutely allow no booze to be carried onboard. So these folks are asking what happens on Princess.

The fact that P. allows us to bring on wine is a major reason its our favourite cruiseline.

So, people, lets not spoil it by cheating the system and advertising it!!!:D

Cheers, Annabelle

I wonder why people go to so much trouble to try to conceal their liquor. Princess doesn't care what you bring on.

I wonder why people go to so much trouble to try to conceal their liquor. Princess doesn't care what you bring on.

Not entirely true! Liquor may or may not be confiscated if you try to carry it on. It depends on the port of embarkation and/or the ship. Your best bet is to place it in your checked luggage.

Not entirely true! Liquor may or may not be confiscated if you try to carry it on. It depends on the port of embarkation and/or the ship. Your best bet is to place it in your checked luggage.

With 18 Princess cruises, we have never had a problem.

On our recent cruise on the Crown Princess, they had a desk set up in elevator lobby on Gala deck that you were supposed to surrender any liquor that you had bought ashore. Since the folks at the x-ray machine didn't inform the folks at the desk that you had liquor, we just got onto an elevator and away we went.

We actually filled the sack that comes in a box of wine with gin and resealed the box. (My sister had finished off the wine) It took us over an hour but we laughed the entire time!!

And yes, we WAY over engineered this.

The funny thing is that we didn't finish it so we brought it home. My mom went to make a martini with the "gin in a box" and used the other box with wine! The martinis didn't taste right! :D

:D:D:D Maybe your Mom is a closet Yankee fan....

BK

Have you been on all the ships and all embarkation ports? Obviuously you have more experience with Princess than I.

I have 30 Princess cruises and have always put it in my checked luggage. However, I have seen people in the security line get their liquor confiscated.

If you feel you have to disguise your booze, most Aussie wines have screw-tops:rolleyes:. I don't know why, but most of the Austrailan Shiraz that I buy has that type of top. I think it's tacky, but the wine is still red and wonderful!

If you feel you have to disguise your booze, most Aussie wines have screw-tops:rolleyes:. I don't know why, but most of the Austrailan Shiraz that I buy has that type of top. I think it's tacky, but the wine is still red and wonderful!

Have read where screw caps are actually better than corks and that is why you see a lot of wines with them now.

Also why did someone dig this old thread back up, let it die.

Have read where screw caps are actually better than corks and that is why you see a lot of wines with them now.

Also why did someone dig this old thread back up, let it die.

Yes, screw tops are the norm now throughout Australia and New Zealand wineries. There is absolutely no difference in the quality of wine between screw tops and corks.

With that said..... I sure as HECK do not want some over-zealous port security agent testing the veracity of my wines by twisting the screw top to see if it's actually wine! :eek::eek:

SOOO..... ENOUGH ALREADY WITH THE LIQUOR SMUGGLING THREADS?

Archived