Just how reliable are P&O Oz cruise ships?

Way too often there seems to be a story of yet another issue with one of P&O's fleet of old dungers. But people just keep booking cruises on them and accepting delays/canellations/changes to itineraries. We've talked mum and dad into sailing on the Tahitian Treasures on Pacific Sun but if this week's episode is anything to go by, it might turn into 21 days anchored in NZ's Bay of Islands:rolleyes:.

For those of you who cruise P&O exclusively, why do you do it, and is it in the back of your mind every time you sail that something might go wrong?

I must admit when we booked our first cruise on Infinity we read lots of stories about failures of azipods on the Millenium class ships (and Millie is in Sydney having hers looked at again). But for following two two on Rotterdam and Legend otS, and our coming cruise with NCL, I've never even considered something might go wrong with the ship.

If it does it does, but the risks just seem greater with P&O's old white elephants (whales?).

We have been on a lot of cruises, many of them on P & O. We don't keep in mind that something could go wrong and the itinerary have to be changed. So far on P & O we have only missed one port on one cruise (Suva). We had a much bigger problem years ago on the Fairstar.

One thing we do keep in mind if we are flying to Sydney on Virgin Airlines is that they are virtually always late. We have usually been an hour or even two hours late when we fly Virgin. (Try not to fly Virgin!) I mention this to demonstrate that other companies have delays etc., and maybe more consistently than P & O.

We hear when there are delays with a cruise, but P & O are curently running three ships out of Australian ports, and that is a lot of cruises every month. On occasions one of these is delayed, but what percentage of cruises would that be?? At a guess would it be 10%? I'd go with those odds. There would never be a guarantee with any trip (car, bus, plane or ship) that there won't be problems or delays and if you want until you get such a guarantee, you wouldn't ever go anywhere.

My suggestion is to book your family on the Tahiti cruise.

I have cruised with P&O years ago with no problems, however we booked our recent NZ cruise on the Pacific Dawn because it was leaving from and returning to Brisbane. So easy.

We had no problems other than the forward pool leaking water and damaging the show lounge sound system on the first night. This was repaired efficiently by the next evening and caused little inconvenience. Our rooms were always spotless, water hot and toilets didn't give any trouble whatsoever.

The port and sounds missed were caused by gales and a tsunami - no way could P&O be blamed for that. We have already booked again on P&O. It has a great feeling to it with the crew always happy and polite.

I must admit when we booked our first cruise on Infinity we read lots of stories about failures of azipods on the Millenium class ships (and Millie is in Sydney having hers looked at again). But for following two two on Rotterdam and Legend otS, and our coming cruise with NCL, I've never even considered something might go wrong with the ship.

If it does it does, but the risks just seem greater with P&O's old white elephants (whales?).

It’s not just P&O Australia, that have problems with their ships (It just seems they have worse luck then some of the other cruse lines), plus I don’t think the media helps here either.

For example:

P&O UK Aurora had problems on her way to NZ & had to stayed in Auckland for a few extra days.

Celebrity Millennium – has had problems with her azipods.

Royal Caribbean - Radiance of the Seas has pluming problems.

etc…

Way too often there seems to be a story of yet another issue with one of P&O's fleet of old dungers. But people just keep booking cruises on them and accepting delays/canellations/changes to itineraries. We've talked mum and dad into sailing on the Tahitian Treasures on Pacific Sun but if this week's episode is anything to go by, it might turn into 21 days anchored in NZ's Bay of Islands:rolleyes:.

For those of you who cruise P&O exclusively, why do you do it, and is it in the back of your mind every time you sail that something might go wrong?

We don’t cruise P&O exclusively, but because P&O cruise out of Auckland, when we want to go on holiday (and most of the time that is to escape winter), we sail with them. Auckland only have the choose of two cruise lines Holland America (summer only) or P&O (autumn / winter only).

We could we fly to Australia, but it is easer & cheaper, to cruise from Auckland.

We don’t think about what could go wrong; as if we did we would not enjoy our holiday.

We have done 5 cruses with P&O and we have never had any problems with the ships, we have had one cruse Cancelled and have missed 4 ports, one of them because of the weather, one of them because no one told the caption that we where meant go around that island :rolleyes:, and two of them because of the worry over swan flu. No way could P&O be blamed for 3 of those missed ports.

We've talked mum and dad into sailing on the Tahitian Treasures on Pacific Sun but if this week's episode is anything to go by, it might turn into 21 days anchored in NZ's Bay of Islands:rolleyes:.

I did sector 2 of the Tahitian Treasures on the Pacific Dawn last year. It was ok but we had maintenance troubles and had to miss a port. There is no way I'd do that itinerary on the Pacific Sun especially after watching it limp down to Darling Harbour yesterday afternoon. It's a disgrace and people should not be paying good dollars to cruise on it.

Cheers

ging466

We could we fly to Australia, but it is easer & cheaper, to cruise from Auckland.

It depends,

if you can only cruise at a certain time

then sure, you are locked into their pricing structure.

But if you can score a bargain,

its sometimes cheaper to fly to Sydney

on the day of departure

and use one of the cheap TransTasman flights.

I should add Sydney is the only overseas departure point we fly in on the same day, as if the flight is delayed there are many more throughout the day.

At other ports we always fly in a day earlier, so there is an extra expense of a hotel overnight.

Check out this website and you'll see that other ships belonging to other cruiselines also have problems.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

We just don't hear about them. Why would we? Why would Australian news tell us about a ship over in Europe being delayed for some reason? Just like they wouldn't hear about our ships.

We have so far only cruised P&O Australia. 4 times in the last 4 years. First cruise, no problems whatsoever. Second cruise, we missed Mystery Island due to rough seas (not P&O's fault), third cruise we missed Suva due to bad weather (again...not P&O's fault). Fourth cruise was delayed a day due to a bow thruster problem on previous cruise. Okay, some would argue that that is P&O's fault (but if your car breaks down do you blame yourself???). Whilst that was dissappointing, I certainly wasn't angry about it and it hasn't put me off cruising with them again. We will one day cruise with another line but at the moment we're happy with P&O. We like the laid back atmosphere of P&O.

My son is currently on the Pacific Sun that left 2 days late (although they were told about the first day about 6 weeks ago) and it still hasn't put me off.

I would be ticked off if I had paid for a cruise to Fiji and went nowhere near the place.

We had a problem with the weather 2 years ago, missed all ports and got 2 ports in Fiji on an 8 or 9 night cruise.

We still had a great time. We asked for nothing and were offered nothing. I am not complaining.

But its not due to weather, so I would guess about a 50% off a cruise to Fiji - that they mssed out on (not any cruise, similar to what they were supposed to go on) and not a '50%' but really 1/2 price of whats available, that should keep them happy.

I have been on flights where there were delays and the airline puts us up and pays, its a cost of business.

We too have cruised with P&O several times. The only changes we've experienced have been due to the weather, and in 2005 (???) we booked a particular cruise because it went to Fiji but because of the coup P&O weren't allowed, by the Aust govt, to go there.:(

Like Karmac (hi Karen), we love P&O's atmosphere. :D

As lots of posters have said, many holidays are affected by weather and mechanical breakdowns. We're just interested in and reading about the cruising ones.

Jenny

Thanks everyone for your input. Yep, I realise weather is Mother Earth's call and not P&O's so would never be concerned about changes made due to something that is out of P&O's control. I just seem to a worrying number of reports on here about propulsion problems etc.

Yes, I also agree we only hear about P&O Oz issues but they are selling themselves as having a fleet of top class superliners and charging top (way over the top?) dollar for what just seems to me a product that is having some issues.

Much that I'd like to sail from Brisbane, my only short cruise option is P&O and I just I don't think we could bring ourselves to pay what P&O are asking. Five star prices for a three star ship. I much prefer it the other way round.

I'll be celebrating my 50th in three years. I would love to take a 'local' cruise to celebrate the occassion with friends but unless prices come down or we get a ship sailing out of Brisbane that warrants the prices P&O are charging, I'll be asking my friends to go spend their dollars elsewhere.

Maybe I need to give P&O a go, but compared to what we've cruised so far I am worried we'd be very disappointed. I just don't understand the appeal.

My ma and pa are going to love their Pacific Sun cruise, of that I'm convinced, just not sure how we would have felt if we'd joined them.

We've been lucky to get really good deals for both our cruises on P & O. Both with OBC, too. First for an oceanview twin cabin and secondly for a balcony cabin. Cheaper than other lines. Sometimes you strike it lucky and some times you don't. Now comparing prices for another one - just in case..;);)

Fourth cruise was delayed a day due to a bow thruster problem on previous cruise. Okay, some would argue that that is P&O's fault (but if your car breaks down do you blame yourself???).

You do if you run it commercially, say if it's your work ute or delivery vehicle. You need to keep it in prime condition otherwise you lose dollars directly (unable to use it when you need to), and lose customers indirectly due to their dissatisfaction of not getting what they needed and was booked and agreed and paid for.

Of course, if you just run your car for yourself, you may not... but P&O aren't running their ships for themselves.

Following all the hoopla with our Governor General renaming the latest superliner, Pacific Jewel, the delayed departure, from Circular Quay, with a boom around an oil spill said it all!

Whichever cruise line gets a new (or even newer) ship based, year round, Down Under first is in for a pleasant surprise to their bottom line.

You do if you run it commercially, say if it's your work ute or delivery vehicle. You need to keep it in prime condition otherwise you lose dollars directly (unable to use it when you need to), and lose customers indirectly due to their dissatisfaction of not getting what they needed and was booked and agreed and paid for.

Of course, if you just run your car for yourself, you may not... but P&O aren't running their ships for themselves.

So true The Big M. I agree.

And whats more there isn't even a Loyalty programme for P & O Australia. If you don't do a Princess cruise, which some people don't, then you don't get any benefits for your loyalty with P & O Australia.

So true The Big M. I agree.

And whats more there isn't even a Loyalty programme for P & O Australia. If you don't do a Princess cruise, which some people don't, then you don't get any benefits for your loyalty with P & O Australia.

ok, I've had lots of different answers to my question about why people cruise P&O Oz.

It's not because they're cheap, because they're hardly that. It's not because they offer great value for money (high price justified by great luxury etc) because they don't do that either (especially when compared to what US cruisers are offered). It's not because they offer a premium product that people can't get enough of.

So I put it down to these factors -

• convenience - at the moment they offer more ships from more ports and a lot of people don't want to fly to the other side of the world to take a cruise
  • they offer a product that a lot of Australians are very comfortable with - no pretense, no over the top glitz (read everyone else's real 'superliners' and megaliners) or tackiness (read interior every Carnival ship)
  • Adult Aussies like travelling together in four berth cabins (surely this still isn't true?)
  • no real competition - Rhapsody if the Seas here part of the year offers no real competition, especially as they have jacked prices up in line with P&O

Maybe there's hope though. RCCL, HAL and Celebrity have obviously all seen an opening to take a bigger share of our market. Once they deploy maybe the P&O faithful will get the opportunity to experience newer, better ships at (hopefully) lower prices. This loss of custom/competition will give Carnival Corp (P&O) Australia the kick up the a#$@ they deserve, make them stop treating us like second class citizens, give us good pricing and even better ships.

Thus endeth my tirade and I'll step off my soapbox:D

I liked your summation Newfarmers. We thoroughly enjoyed our recent cruise on the Pacific Dawn - there was very little to complain about - but the deciding factor for us, at present, is the convenience of leaving from Brisbane. If another line based a ship here, we would be happy to try it.

For us - simple as that. :)

Many of us choose not to cruise here in Australia, Newfarmers, exactly for the reasons you stated.

The exceptions being unless the ship is cruising from or to an exotic destination, (like Honolulu and Darwin for me personally), where I can organise land content.

We are spoiled for choice here, with land holidays - just look at the glorious beaches and beautiful islands right along the Queensland Coast, not to mention the rest of Australia.

The fact that laid back Australians are making a fuss about the poor quality of the cruise product offered here (both ship and price) says it all!

I've just been reading a thread about Radiance of the Seas and all the troubles they've been having - plumbing, uncaring staff, RCI not responding to letters/emails, people saying they would never travel RCI again. What do you believe??? And that's the ship they're sending down here, isn't it? :confused:

I've just been reading a thread about Radiance of the Seas and all the troubles they've been having - plumbing, uncaring staff, RCI not responding to letters/emails, people saying they would never travel RCI again. What do you believe??? And that's the ship they're sending down here, isn't it? :confused:

It is.....and I think at the end of the day it's all down to comparisons. Those of us who have cruised on other that P & O Australian ships are more critical of P & O Australia. Those who have only cruised on P & O Australian ships appear to be quite satisfied.

I think the same with Radiance of the Seas....again, it's all down to comparisons, and I'm sure what is satisfactory to some on Radiance is not acceptable to others.

Having said that, I do expect Radiance to be of the same standard or better than Rhapsody of the Seas.

It has to be if they want to introduce competition to our local cruising market.

Jillybeans:)

Just to ask something here, are the prices higher for P&O Aust because more fuel needed to cover longer diatances (have to cover a lot of miles from Sydney / Brisbane / Auckland) to get to the islands, or;

Is it becasue we are bing 'taken'?

I had a look the other night for cruises out of Florida etc and the prices were less than 1/2 of what we can get here (taking into account exchange rates etc) and may get a 'higher star' ship (i.e. Shampoo not out of a dispenser and beds that actually have sheets), so looks like if I spend $1500 to fly to the US I might save $1000 on a cruise. I still loose until I save enough $$$$ to go for a month and do 3 different cruises in one hit.

Steve

• Adult Aussies like travelling together in four berth cabins (surely this still isn't true?)

Agree with most of your points but can't see that the above is a factor (even if it's true?) All the competitors referred to have similar numbers of 4 berth cabins onboard, so if people are after that, they could still get it from the others.

Archived