Carry On Luggage

nanak915

I am flying on Continental from Newark to Seattle. My roll on bag measures 22" x 10" x 9". Will I be allowed to put this in an overhead bin? My first flight is on an express from our local airport and I think I will have to check this plane side and pick it up when I transfer. Can anyone give me info on this?

You will definitely have to gate check it for the regional jet flight. You may want to check the Continental site to see the maximum size for carryons. Remember your carry ons cannot contain liquids in containers larger than 3.2 ounces.

Is this also true for the bigger planes when "hoggers" have used up all the overhead space? They pull your luggage out and you pick it up when you get off the plane and don't have to go to the luggage carosel with everyone else getting their checked luggage?

Is this also true for the bigger planes when "hoggers" have used up all the overhead space? They pull your luggage out and you pick it up when you get off the plane and don't have to go to the luggage carosel with everyone else getting their checked luggage?

Sometimes "hoggers" are simply people who boarded before you; they haven't necessarily carried on more than the allowable amount.

Yes, to the second question.

my last cruise flight from FLL my carry-on was taken at the gate but i would not see it til my final destination....so i would not be getting my "gate checked" bag for my next flight....i had no time to TRY to get my jewelry out of my bag --NEVER again--i was "over packed" coming back from my cruise and i put my jewelry in my carry-on...i was WORRIED most of the trip about it, but was LUCKY that EVERYTHING arrived at my final destination!!

Sometimes "hoggers" are simply people who boarded before you; they haven't necessarily carried on more than the allowable amount.

Yes, to the second question.

Sorry to say..but I think it's rude when passengers put their bags above anywhere other than where their sitting...Nothing worse than getting on and having the bins filled with passengers bags that are sitting in the back of the plane..then it's you that has to put your bag toward the back..JMHO.. but it would be considerate to put your bag above or as close to where you'll be sitting....

Sorry to say..but I think it's rude when passengers put their bags above anywhere other than where their sitting...Nothing worse than getting on and having the bins filled with passengers bags that are sitting in the back of the plane..then it's you that has to put your bag toward the back..JMHO.. but it would be considerate to put your bag above or as close to where you'll be sitting....

Ashland,

I couldn't agree with you more. When I referred to people "hogging" the overhead space, I was referring to the passengers who put their bags in the overhead bins above your row instead of their own. There are also passengers who bring on luggage obviously bigger than what is allowed, or they have stuffed their luggage so it is expanded to the limit and one piece takes up almost an entire overhead bin. :mad:

Remember when airlines are talking about the size of a carry on bag, it includes the wheels and handles. Many of the so-called 22 inch bags being sold are actually 23.5 at least including the ones sold at COSTCO.

Also if you have an expandable bag, the 9 inch measurement is when the bag is not expanded.

Ashland,

I couldn't agree with you more. When I referred to people "hogging" the overhead space, I was referring to the passengers who put their bags in the overhead bins above your row instead of their own. There are also passengers who bring on luggage obviously bigger than what is allowed, or they have stuffed their luggage so it is expanded to the limit and one piece takes up almost an entire overhead bin. :mad:

I knew somebody would agree with me..and loved that it was somebody from my "Old Kentucky Home"...Us Ky. girls know manners when we see them and when we don't...:rolleyes:...Enjoy your next flight and cruise..:)

I knew somebody would agree with me..and loved that it was somebody from my "Old Kentucky Home"...Us Ky. girls know manners when we see them and when we don't...:rolleyes:...Enjoy your next flight and cruise..:)

But what you fail to take account of is the fact that although the manufacturer provides adequate overhead space a substantial amount is taken up with demo equipment, crew overnight bags, daily use first aid kit, theraputic oxygen, and increasingly defilibrators, not to mention blankets and pillows. If you find that your overhead space is taken by any of this impedimentia what are you to do?

But what you fail to take account of is the fact that although the manufacturer provides adequate overhead space a substantial amount is taken up with demo equipment, crew overnight bags, daily use first aid kit, theraputic oxygen, and increasingly defilibrators, not to mention blankets and pillows. If you find that your overhead space is taken by any of this impedimentia what are you to do?

Speaking from experience....I can tell the difference between the above mentioned and "passengers bags"....:rolleyes:

Speaking from experience....I can tell the difference between the above mentioned and "passengers bags"....:rolleyes:

I am sure you can, but that doesn't help the people who find 'their' overhead locker space above their seat taken up by all this kit!

I am sure you can, but that doesn't help the people who find 'their' overhead locker space above their seat taken up by all this kit!

I think what you're "failing to understand" and what my point is....:rolleyes: How rude it is for passengers sitting in the back of the plane to cram their luggage into the first empty overhead bin regardless of where it is....If you're sitting towards the front of the plane are you going to be happy to have to walk to the back to store you're carryons...I doubt it !!!!!;)...Have a nice flight !!

Archived