Cape Liberty/Bayonne 411 - New and Improved!

megr1125

greatam, thanks for your post -

I too was considering Hilton Garden in Staten Island.

You put it nice and clear - this wouldn't be the best option. 'Foreigners' like me don't consider the added cost of the tolls so thanks very much for mentioning!

Question for you - You don't see anything wrong with Elizabeth do you? The Residence Inn is very reasonable and looks nice.

Any hidden costs or problems associated with Elizabeth?

Appreciate your insight!

greatam, thanks for your post -

I too was considering Hilton Garden in Staten Island.

You put it nice and clear - this wouldn't be the best option. 'Foreigners' like me don't consider the added cost of the tolls so thanks very much for mentioning!

Question for you - You don't see anything wrong with Elizabeth do you? The Residence Inn is very reasonable and looks nice.

Any hidden costs or problems associated with Elizabeth?

Appreciate your insight!

AGAIN (and I have been saying it for years)-IF YOU HAVE A CAR, stay in Secaucus.

Elizabeth and the airport area, IMHO is for those who have no transport options. YOU DO!!! Nicer hotels, better things to do (like LOTS of restaurants, shuttle bus to the malls (LOTS of outlet shopping if you are interested), bus/train to NYC, movies, 24 Hour Fitness (if you exercise daily).

Drive to the port. You won't save much with a park/cruise shuttle IF any at all after you figure in all the costs.

VERY often, either through Priceline BIDDING or Hotwire, you can get 3* hotels in the Secaucus area for $100 or less.

I don't stay in Elizabeth or around the airport UNLESS I have a business meeting the next day or need the time to get my ducks in a row. I stay in Secaucus-always have, always will.

Greatam - I tend to agree with you about the price difference. However, let's get more info from the OP so we can provide all the options for his choice.

cruisemateth - How many people are you? What time do you expect to arrive in the NY area? June 9?

Please read my description of Hilton Gardens on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1195804. The difference in NJ turnpike tolls is actually $.50 in favor of driving to Staten Island. However, the bridge crossing is $8.

Carol,

I TRULY, TRULY think people with cars should explore other options. Secaucus, Rutherford, even further out-Parsipanny, Edison, even as far out as the Delaware Water Gap (depending on which way they are coming from). Priceline BIDDINg is a miracle worker for "out of the metro area places". I have stayed in Edison at the Hilton for $45.00. I have stayed in the Water Gap area for less than $75.00 for one of those fancy "honeymoon" resorts. There are a LOT of options with a car. NO MORE than a 3 hour drive ANYPLACE to Cape Liberty (baring MAJOR traffic jams).

I agree, but it's a hard sell. I actually stopped by the Hilton Garden in Staten Island and was pleasantly surprised. In this particular case (9 day cruise) for about the same price as it costs to park at Cape Liberty, the OP can get a nice hotel room, park his car for free, and get a shuttle to the port. That's a hard deal to beat.

I will be departing Sunday, May 23 from Bayonne on the Celebrity Summit. I live in NJ near downtown Newark, and was wondering if anyone had any insight into the cheapest car service to/from the port? I've skimmed through the threads but most discussing car service are from the NY airports - our home is much closer to the port. Any other suggestions besides Black Executive Cars, which seems to be recommended from NJ originating points?

Also - what is a good time to plan on arriving/departing the port to miss the most traffic?

Hi Meg, I leave on Saturday for my upcoming cruise and want to

thank you for all your help:)

I recently changed hotels (for about the 3rd time:eek:) LOL....anyway,

I am staying at Courtyard by Marriott in Elizabeth.

And I wanted to tell you about a car service I am using (not listed

on your Blog) called D&G Limousine Service. I will be glad to let you

know what I think of them after I get back.

The man who helped me on the phone was VERY professional, courteous,

and listened to me as well. Sometimes that can be hard to find these

days. They might be more $ than a couple of your listings but when I called those companies I wasn't happy with the results.

I also read some excellent reviews about D&G on the net as well:)

Anyway, I am flying up on Saturday and sailing out of Bayonne

on Sunday:D

Hi Meg, I leave on Saturday for my upcoming cruise and want to

thank you for all your help:)

I recently changed hotels (for about the 3rd time:eek:) LOL....anyway,

I am staying at Courtyard by Marriott in Elizabeth.

And I wanted to tell you about a car service I am using (not listed

on your Blog) called D&G Limousine Service. I will be glad to let you

know what I think of them after I get back.

The man who helped me on the phone was VERY professional, courteous,

and listened to me as well. Sometimes that can be hard to find these

days. They might be more $ than a couple of your listings but when I called those companies I wasn't happy with the results.

I also read some excellent reviews about D&G on the net as well:)

Anyway, I am flying up on Saturday and sailing out of Bayonne

on Sunday:D

Meg is on B2B cruises on Explorer of the Seas right now.

Jimbo:)

Meg is on B2B cruises on Explorer of the Seas right now.

Ohhhhhhhh thanks for letting me know:)

At least I made sure to thank her anyway:D

I agree, but it's a hard sell. I actually stopped by the Hilton Garden in Staten Island and was pleasantly surprised. In this particular case (9 day cruise) for about the same price as it costs to park at Cape Liberty, the OP can get a nice hotel room, park his car for free, and get a shuttle to the port. That's a hard deal to beat.

First of all thanks for eveyones advice ! Carol, it is just me and my husband and we will be comming from Columbus Ohio. My concern is that the young lady could not give me much information just the price of 179.00 we are planning on arriving on the 9th ship leaves on the 10th. is there any other hotel that has the stay park and shuttle package. I figured hotel is going to run 100.00 or over parking at pier 19.00 a day for 9 days close to 180.00. I love all the help keep the advice comming!! Help me make the right decision!! Thanks everyone!icon7.gif

Actually, Country Inns in Elizabeth is very competitive for June 9. Room with cruise transfers is $155 including tax and parking would be another $35. This would be a good deal. This hotel is often priced at $50 more.

punchyb - Unfortunately, I can't really help you with the car services. Did you check Meg's blog? I think she has more than Black Executive listed on there. I like to get to the port between 10:30 and 11:00 - boarding usually starts at 12, but I don't mind waiting a bit at all. I feel like I am on vacation the moment I get to the terminal lounge.

Actually, Country Inns in Elizabeth is very competitive for June 9. Room with cruise transfers is $155 including tax and parking would be another $35. This would be a good deal. This hotel is often priced at $50 more.

Carol, which one do you think would be the better deal, since you have seen both? Do you know if shuttle from Comfort Inn runs early and do you have to set up a time for them to pick you up at the pier and do they have a bag limit? Thanks for all your help!!:):)

It's Country Inns - take a look at a recent review with pictures - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1195855 I have not stayed at either hotel, but both have gotten good reviews. You will not have control over the time of your transfer to the port. On return I understand you will get a taxi voucher for Country Inns, but you will have to wait for the shuttle from Hilton Gardens.

You're coming from Ohio and should come in I80. IMO that makes Country Inns the better choice - it's closer (Exit 13A), easier to find, and is the less expensive option.

I don't see how the park/cruise/shuttle hotels are going to keep the prices as low as they have been. Commercial vehicle taxes went up considerably on May 1. Fuel is starting to climb through the roof. Parking doesn't cost the hotel any extra, but the cruise ship shuttle costs are going up daily. Maybe the hotels are using the shuttle package as a "loss leader" to fill the hotel.

For this particular date (June 9) it appears to be a good bargain. But as you pointed out, anything over $230-240 for the package makes parking at the port and staying someplace other than the airport area a no brainer in my book. Any additional price difference between the package and DIY will be eaten up in shuttle tips, tolls and the HASSLE. On the weekends, hotels in the Secaucus/Rutherford area are usually bargain basement priced because they cater primarily to business travelers (unless there is a concert/event/game at Meadowlands). 3* hotels frequently are available through Priceline BIDDING and sometimes on Hotwire for $65-75.00 per night.

I may have asked this already - not sure -- I was told by RCCL that I cannot even bring water on board the ship? Is this true? I cannot find a list of security do's/don'ts for Cape Liberty. It sure is hard meeting all these criteria. Can anyone direct me to a posted list of items specifying what can/cannot be brought on board and through Security? Is "Security" RCCL's security or the Port's security?:confused:

The only security "don't" that I am aware of is no wine or liquor. Just put a case of water in a suitcase and give it to the porters.

This question was asked recently, but I don't remember by whom.

On the weekends, hotels in the Secaucus/Rutherford area are usually bargain basement priced because they cater primarily to business travelers (unless there is a concert/event/game at Meadowlands). 3* hotels frequently are available through Priceline BIDDING and sometimes on Hotwire for $65-75.00 per night.

Problem is once you get one of these hotels at a great rate, you still have to worry about if you can leave your car there while on the cruise plus you still need to spend $50 or $60 each way to the port in Bayonne.and back to the hotel to pick up your car.

Any hotels in Secaucus/ Rutherford that you know of that allow you to leave your car there for 12 days?

None of the Secaucus hotels seem to offer an official park/sleep. Somebody posted that they were able to arrange to leave their car at Hyatt Place when cruising out of NY.

For Nov. 27 www.trinityreservations.com is showing the Fairfield Inn at $106 including taxes with 14 days parking. So for $206-$216 you can get a room, park your car, and pay for transportation to the port. But I thought you got an even better deal at Hilton Gardens? Are you still undecided?

Problem is once you get one of these hotels at a great rate, you still have to worry about if you can leave your car there while on the cruise plus you still need to spend $50 or $60 each way to the port in Bayonne.and back to the hotel to pick up your car.

Any hotels in Secaucus/ Rutherford that you know of that allow you to leave your car there for 12 days?

IF you have a car, why would you leave your car at a hotel??? I don't understand that.

The hassle of dealing repeatedly with the luggage, waiting for a shuttle, waiting for other people to get their ducks in a row to get on or off the shuttle. I just wouldn't do it myself-I would sleep in Secaucus (or wherever I chose away from the airport) and drive to the port.

Greatam - the cost to park is $228 for 12 days. Even a Priceline hotel will run $85-90 including taxes, so the total cost is $313-$318. So folks who need a hotel and parking will seriously consider a park/cruise that will save them $100+. When the cruise length is 7 days, it's more of a break even situation and for a 5 day cruise the balance is in favor of paying to park. In the end it all boils down to a personal choice.

IF you have a car, why would you leave your car at a hotel??? I don't understand that.

The hassle of dealing repeatedly with the luggage, waiting for a shuttle, waiting for other people to get their ducks in a row to get on or off the shuttle. I just wouldn't do it myself-I would sleep in Secaucus (or wherever I chose away from the airport) and drive to the port.

Many folks who stay at hotels pre-cruise look for ones that offer

parking included in their stay. Every port city usually has certain hotels

with park/sleep/cruise packages.

Many people find it easier than parking at the pier and/or its less money

overall and/or they break even.

Different strokes for different folks:)

None of the Secaucus hotels seem to offer an official park/sleep. Somebody posted that they were able to arrange to leave their car at Hyatt Place when cruising out of NY.

For Nov. 27 www.trinityreservations.com is showing the Fairfield Inn at $106 including taxes with 14 days parking. So for $206-$216 you can get a room, park your car, and pay for transportation to the port. But I thought you got an even better deal at Hilton Gardens? Are you still undecided?

The Hilton Garden Inn would be even less money then the Fairfield Inn because transportation is included but will I be able to leave my car there for the 12 days? Just worried about getting there and then they say I can't leave my car there.

When you went there last week did you ask about leaving your car there during a cruise and if transportion is really included to the pier in their prices?

Jimbo - you'll have to speak to them directly. The guy behind the desk didn't seem to know. As I posted before, this hotel shares a courtesy shuttle with the Hampton Inn next door. Part of the "courtesy" is transporting folks to Newark Airport and the Staten Island ferry. The shuttle also takes folks to the port at Bayonne. Several others have reported leaving their cars at the hotel for the duration of a cruise. I would imagine that there would be low demand for the shuttle late morning on a Sunday or Friday.

Please read my description of the hotel on the other thread. This is not your typical Newark Airport hotel with constant transient traffic. It's more of a corporate "conference center" hotel in a tranquil location. Because of its location, I would imagine that few guests arrive without a car and few guests have a need for the shuttle. That's probably why they share it with Hampton Inn - otherwise not economical.

Carol, Thanks again for all your help, and everyone else who has helped ! It seems now my husband is wanting to drive to Cape Liberty, so we can get there early and leave from the port and we will not have to wait on a shuttle. So now I'm at square one again trying to find the best deal on a hotel that is close to the port and that is not going to break the bank!

Thanks alot!:)

Greatam - the cost to park is $228 for 12 days. Even a Priceline hotel will run $85-90 including taxes, so the total cost is $313-$318. So folks who need a hotel and parking will seriously consider a park/cruise that will save them $100+. When the cruise length is 7 days, it's more of a break even situation and for a 5 day cruise the balance is in favor of paying to park. In the end it all boils down to a personal choice.

Everyone always forgets the gratuities for the shuttle driver-should be at least $20.00 RT for two with luggage. Going to Staten Island incurs another $8.00 fee for the bridge (Goethals or Bayonne).

I still don't get it if you have a car. The hassle alone makes it worthwhile to me personally to park at the port and I would definitely save the extra money in other ways.

BTW-almost all summer on the weekends there is a 2* hotel showing on Hotwire for $44.00 plus tax. It has a restaurant AND laundry-which would indicate the LaQuinta in Clifton. But that particular LaQuinta is listed on both Better Bidding and Bidding for Travel as 2.5*. Anyone got any additional ideas which hotel that is??? I need 9 rooms the first weekend in August.

Archived