Cape Liberty/Bayonne 411 - New and Improved!

megr1125

Don't worry about it. You'll be fine. You take the escalators or elevators up to the Airtrain platform and go to one of the terminals. Take the elevators down and go out to the cab stand.

Perhaps someone who has done this recently can give Patty some suggestions and some assurances that everything will be OK.

Don't worry about it. You'll be fine. You take the escalators or elevators up to the Airtrain platform and go to one of the terminals. Take the elevators down and go out to the cab stand.

Perhaps someone who has done this recently can give Patty some suggestions and some assurances that everything will be OK.

It's really not that bad...just did it today more or less.....the airtrain monorail things can get crowded, but that's the end of the line (or beginning) so it won't be so bad...takes eh, 5-10 minutes or so to get to P4--i suppose you could get a car service to meet you there...otherwise go to terminal C (the 1st terminal you come to FROM the RR station) and go get a cab....(that might be a PITA as you'll have to go down the elevator/escalator a few times to get outside by baggage claim to get a cab...they do not go to P4.

(frankly i wonder if the conductors would notice if you OOPS stayed on til the next stop....:confused:;):D) try calling back, ask for customer service (as soon as "JULIE" starts to talk, keep saying "agent"...then try and plead your case.....the CS peeps have the power to wave the magic wand and help you!! been there done that....)

Hi there!

Am taking the Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda in September and was wondering if you might know of the easiest way to get from the Washington DC area to Cape Liberty? We could drive, but would love to take the train. Was hoping to not have to take the train all the way into Manhattan and then double back to NJ. Any suggestions? Thank you very much!

Eileen :)

Hi there!

Am taking the Explorer of the Seas to Bermuda in September and was wondering if you might know of the easiest way to get from the Washington DC area to Cape Liberty? We could drive, but would love to take the train. Was hoping to not have to take the train all the way into Manhattan and then double back to NJ. Any suggestions? Thank you very much!

Eileen :)

Amtrak to Newark Penn Station (not the airport) and grab a cab...about 45 bucks (that's the going rate....)

Allow plenty of time though...you never know when Amtrak or NJTransit trains will have a problem and back up the entire NE Corridor....I would get a train to arrive no later than 10 AM (night before is better if you want to stay over..)

I think we're particularly interested in how the shuttle works to and from the pier. Someone commented that they had to sign up for the shuttle when they checked into the hotel. Don't recall hearing comments on the return trip other than a drop off at the airport (where???) was possible as well as a return to the hotel.

Also don't recall any particularly negative comments about the hotel rooms themselves. Someone always doesn't like the breakfast offerings and someone frequently encounters a staff member who is not as helpful as they would like (hey - it's the NY metropolitan area - no southern charm here).

We stayed at the Country Inn & Suites the night before our April 15th cruise (I just got back this afternoon). We had the "Stay & Sail" package. We got vouchers for two round-trip transfers when we checked in. We were told the shuttle would leave the next day at 12:30 PM which disappointed us because we were hoping to get to the ship earlier. Luckily, my sister and I went down to the lobby early (about 11) to wait and ran into a couple from our roll-call who had the foresight to ask if there was any way they could get to the ship earlier (thank you, Patti & Bud!) and the desk clerk called for a shuttle right away. It (a large van) arrived a little after we got to the lobby and there were just the four of us in it. We arrived at the port in about 20 minutes. On the return, we just went to the taxi stand (turn left after you go through Customs & Immigration and go to the end of the terminal) and asked for a Yellow Express cab which as another large van. It was very easy.

We paid an additional $35 for parking which was in a large lot next to the hotel. The hotel was fine...nothing fancy but clean. I understand there was a free continental breakfast but we didn't know about it at the time so were not able to take advantage of it. I'd probably stay there again if we leave from Bayonne in the future.

Our family of 8 are driving rented vehicles from Buffalo to NJ. Right now, we do not know if any of the rental car agencies offer transportation to/from the port (Gratis) when we drop off.

We are also considering the Mega Bus which drops us off at Penn Station.

Or we have the option of Amtrak or flying into NJ(which is the most expensive).

We are on a tight budget (as most people are) and are searching for the most economical of the above options. Since our cruise is on the Dec. 10th sailing EOS, there may be snow and colder condition.

My email address is mrefer13@hotmail.com

Thank you for assisting my family.

Mary

On a Tuesday, the ship departs Cape Liberty at 5PM. Will grab a cab or hire a private car from Newark Penn Station (Amtrak) to Cape Liberty.

Are there rush hour issues between the train station and Cape Liberty?

What time should the train arrive at Newark for a fairly easy ride to the terminal?

Please give us more details. What will you be paying for 2 one-way car rentals? Do you have 2 personal cars that you could drive? Are you planning to drive down the day of the cruise? When you look at all the numbers, the reality is that the cheapest way may be to drive personal cars and pay $344 to park at Cape Liberty. In December you will definitely need a bad weather plan - if there's a storm you need to come down a day early.

Can one of you please tell me where to find this discount kiosk for Broadway tickets and also anything else we shouldn't miss on our few days in NY. Thanks.

It's right in the middle of Times Square, close to where Broadway and 7th ave intersect. It's called TKTS Discount Booth, address: 226 W 47th St. We walked by it multiple times in March. We've done everything from the History Museum (Rose Center) and planetarium, Central park zoo, Madame Tussauds (it was raining a lot this last trip), Macy's, Tiffany's, Diamond District, Rockefeller Center, St. Patricks' Cathedral, broadway shows (Wicked and Chicago), great dinners (Bobby Flay's Bar Americain this last trip), M&M store, Toy's R Us, all in or within walking distance of Times Square, except the museum, but we easily walked it.

My DH's family lives in NY and we both have been as kids and visited the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Bldg, Bronx zoo so we don't focus on those now. Still want to go to Ellis Island.

I had promised to post my views and impressions of the Country Inn and Suites in Elizabeth, NJ and in particular their shuttle service to and from the port at Bayonne. We just returned from EOS April 15-24, 2010. The cruise was great and EOS is a great ship. The hotel is also very good and I have no complaints. We stayed there when we arrived in Newark on April 14 and again when we got off the boat on April 24. On both occasions we showed up early and they still allowed us to check in early. On April 25 our flight was 6 pm and we were all too tired to go into NYC so we stayed in the area. They volunteered to let us keep the room until mid afternoon after all I asked was if we could store the bags - a very nice touch.

There is a huge outlet mall across the street with every store you can imagine plus a Jeepers which my kids loved and some type of little animal battery powered animal cars which can move around. Again it kept the kids occupied and a whole lot easier than going into New York.

The kids enjoyed the hotel pool and the breakfast was fine too. I really had no complaints at all and would happily stay there and recommend it to anyone.

Now the shuttle. I had assumed it would be one of the two shuttle buses the hotel operates between the airport and the hotel and also between the mall and the hotel but not so. They have a deal with Yellow Express, which is a taxi company in the area. The time is pre-set on the departure and was set for 12:30 - though it was closer to 1 pm when we left. With traffic/construction this got us on the port after 2 pm. It was painless and they dropped a group of us off but it was at the set time without exceptions. By this point there was a long lineup to check in. If I had my time back I probably would have just booked a taxi myself and gone in the morning but we were still on with ample time. On the return it was very simple, we just went to the left when exiting baggage claim towards the taxi stand. Yellow Express had a van waiting and took all 4 of us and 2 others back to the hotel. The driver did miss the exit which meant back tracking but to be honest it only cost us 15 minutes and was not a big deal.

If you want a worry free ride to the port this works - but you are restricted on when you can go. If you want to go on your own time or arrive early then you would be better to make your own arrangements. I am not sure what the cost of a taxi would be but I know it was about $22 per person return through the shuttle.

I have no problem recommending this hotel and the shuttle service works - I would get my own taxi next time but that is just a personal preference.

Hope this helps people who are looking at options. I know I really appreciated all the help from this thread when we were planning our cruise and will come back when we go out of NJ again. Thanks all!

Bob

Can one of you please tell me where to find this discount kiosk for Broadway tickets and also anything else we shouldn't miss on our few days in NY. Thanks.

While the most popular location is in Times Square, as noted previously, tickets for evening programs are not sold until 3 p.m. But you can get tickets for evening programs starting at 11 a.m. at the two other, less crowded, locations in lower Manhattan (corner of Front and John Sts, in the South St Seaport area) and Brooklyn (corner of Jay St and Myrtle Av, in the MetroTech development and adjacent to Polytechnic Institute of New York University).

We also stayed at the County Inn & Suites and paid for the transfers. As I had indicated in my review, we went to the lobby early (11 AM) and another couple from our roll call (Patti & Bud) were already there waiting and had asked the desk clerk if they could get an earlier shuttle. The desk clerk called the cab company and they sent out a cab just for what they thought was that couple, but we tagged along and we got to the ship at about 11:45 (the cab came at about 11:30). I don't know if they would do this all the time as it could get crazy calling the shuttle company for everyone that asks for an earlier trip, but the clerk did accommodate this request.

Thanks Susan and Bob. Really appreciate your comments on the hotel and the shuttle service. Carol had suggested a car service vs. the shuttle if you want to get there early. I have to agree! I just have to get there early so it's worth it to me to arrange the car service to the port and then do the taxi line back to the airport.

Couldn't do it without these boards. Thank you one and all!

Got a call back from CARMINA LIMO (in Bayonne) quoting me $39 + tolls ("a couple bucks") for ride from EWR to Sheraton Meadowlands on May11th.

Anyone know of this company and their reputation?

Susan

Haven't used them but have heard the name here...sounds reasonable fare wise though....a couple bucks is probably correct...

First time out of this port....should I drive to the porters and off load luggage first before parking car. Or is there a parking shuttle from the lots that take you and the luggage from the parking lot to the ship..this is for the Celebrity Summit.

Thanks

You want to off load the luggage before parking the car. Cape Liberty is at the end of a 2 mile long peninsula and the road is a big circle at the end with most of the parking in the middle of the big circle. After you drop off, you continue along the circle and then make a left turn back into the middle of the circle for the parking. So you end up parking not that far from the terminal - the furthest space is no worse than being in the outer parking at a mall.

Don't know if you've had many answers yet , we sailed with ETA in Jan. It's an amazing trip and have booked again for Feb 2011. In my opinion, because it sounds like you are both on the same bike, One of you take the bike and one take the luggage. Once you get to the pier, as you circle around the parking lot, you will see the Explorer to your right and the bikes meet inside the fenced area almost beside the bow of the ship. This area is for the riders only, not the passengers. The passengers go to the terminal and hand over the luggage and wait for the riders to load the bikes onto the ship and return to the terminal to check in. It did take us quite a while before we were able to get the bikes onboard, but we were still onboard by about noon.

Thank you, xraymagic, for your response. :D Your time and consideration is truly appreciated! Yes-at this point, we will only have one bike. It may change to 2.....we'll see if I'm ready for that in a few months! Either way, we would still have luggage to check...I'm a clothesaholic and can't even fathom packing in just the saddle bags & trunk. What time did you arrive at the port to be onboard at noon? Did ETA tell you what time you needed to be there to board the bikes, I would assume?

I am wondering now, though, if we shouldn't just park at the port, so we can board earlier. I don't care for the idea of being there so late if we use the hotel shuttle. I like to get to the stateroom as soon as possible and get settled. We will be bringing our youngest 2 children with us (ages 24+19-to cruise, not motorcycle). Hmmmm?????......guess we have 363 days :( to decide!

We are traveling from Long Island for a 2/18/11 cruise. I think we might see if we can get a limo/car for our whole party (7). I would hate to drive and park at the port if a snowstorm hit - either leaving or coming back..I don't want to shovel out the cars after just getting off the boat :) What would you suggest?

Check my blog...(link below) i have several hotel options for you....

There is also info on a few car services....

There is also a Hilton Garden Inn on staten island that has a shuttle to the pier..(saw it with my own eyeballs!):D

The Country Inn by EWR is popular...not too hard to get to, right off exit 13A of the NJ Turnpike by http://www.jerseygardens.com-they have a stay and shuttle package, but if you call they will give you a price with parking too.

A few of the marriott brands have a park n crusie as well--no transportation.

Expect to pay about 40-50 bucks for a car service...more for a group your size.

HTH....let us know what other questions you have-i just put all the info in one place and then people can take a peek and come up with more questions...

we sailed during a snowstorm..or 2. and well, we took a car service from home, but YUCKIOLA....traffic was a MESS! The shoreside staff had trouble getting to work!

Archived