Cape Liberty/Bayonne 411 - New and Improved!

megr1125

Mapquest says 7 hours 46 minutes - are you driving in the same day? That might be risky to do it all in one morning. Let's see what our experts say about the 287/24/78 route on a Saturday - I think I've heard suggestions that it's better to take 80 to the NJ Turnpike.

How much time do you have post-cruise? Are you staying overnight in the area? That is an ambitious list of things to see. The Twin Tower Memorial and SOL are in downtown Manhattan and the ESB and Central Park are in Midtown. SOL and ESB can be very time consuming if you actually want to go out to Liberty Island or up the building. What are your priorities? You definitely don't want to drive around Manhattan to do this. Let's see if we can come up with a plan for you depending on your time constraints.

The morning drive will not bother me. I'll just have to leave around 4am to allow 8 hours to arrive in port by 12. I just wanted to know if this was an okay way to come and if an hour leeway is enough...Didn't want to run into known problems.

After we get off the ship is when I'd like to visit the SOL. I'd rather not stay in New York overnight. Leaving NY between 6-7pm would be okay. I've always been off the ship before noon so I figure that leaves at least 6 hours. Maybe possible to see two sites?

You MUST be there 60 minutes ahead, but generally 90 minutes is recommended, so 3:30. How far are you coming? Generally, we suggest folks get there between 10:30 and 11 so they can be among the first to board and can enjoy the ship all afternoon. The NJ Turnpike is usually OK, but you never know - why cut it close if you really don't have to?

Meg can tell you about car services. I always drive and park. The port is at the end of a long peninsula that not open to the public except on sailing days - it is a secure area. The parking is inside a chain line fence. I've never had any problems. For us the cost of parking is about the same as a limo both ways. I like coming off the ship, hopping in the car, and hitting the road.

Thanks so much for those answers!

How about the time I should expect to disembark the ship as a Diamond member?

The morning drive will not bother me. I'll just have to leave around 4am to allow 8 hours to arrive in port by 12. I just wanted to know if this was an okay way to come and if an hour leeway is enough...Didn't want to run into known problems.

After we get off the ship is when I'd like to visit the SOL. I'd rather not stay in New York overnight. Leaving NY between 6-7pm would be okay. I've always been off the ship before noon so I figure that leaves at least 6 hours. Maybe possible to see two sites?

I-80 is wall to wall construction in PA during the summer season. They are starting already-between Exit 24 and 28, it was down to one lane this week going Westbound. Who knows how it will be going Eastbound next week or the week you travel.

I think you are foolish to leave at 4AM on the day of your cruise. You very well could miss the cruise.

I run a trucking company with a lot of trucks every week running across I-80 through PA/NJ. DON'T believe Mapquest/Google, etc. Allow 10 hours minimum. Can it be done in 6-7? Yes, under perfect conditions with no construction, no accidents, no cops, no flat tires, nothing except the interstate to yourself. One little glitch and you are in deep doo doo.

I personally would take 80 to the NJ Turnpike S. 287/24/78 is a more complicated route and not as well marked. There will be very little traffic inbound in NJ on a Saturday morning.

We are only driving from CT and we leave about 8 to leave plenty of time for the 100 mile trip in case of accidents, construction, just plain traffic.

If I were you and wanted to get to the cruise ready to have fun and enjoy myself- I would stay overnight someplace much closer to the port. As mentioned before, you can get a hotel room with parking and service to the port. The stress of not getting enough sleep the night before and fear of missing your cruise would be just too much for me!

Are the shuttle buses that are suppose to be there that charge $15. pp for transportatrion to the airport any less chaotic? We're thinking of using them in October.

Last night I consulted with Mrs. Post Captain regarding our experiences disembarking at Cape Liberty. She rendered the opinion that my use of the word "chaotic" was a tad hyperbolic. She also reminded me that the disembarkation process has always gone pretty smoothly, albeit slowly, and that things in the transportation pick-up area have been managed fairly well if without much elegance. Mrs. Post Captain tends to be more level-headed than I am, so I wouldn't let my use of the word "chaotic" scare you off from using the shuttle bus to the airport.

Whether you leave by car, taxi, or bus, you will be with 2,000 other people trying to make their way off of Cape Liberty via a single road, so you really are part of a captive audience. In such circumstances, a little patience goes a long way--as Mrs. Post Captain continually reminds me.;)

My husband and I will be cruising out of Bayonne on July 25th. To make sure that we are safely in our target area, we will be leaving Ohio early Saturday morning and will be spending the night prior to our cruise departure. We will both feel much better knowing that we have ample time to get the ship and begin a relaxing vacation. I can't imagine leaving the morning of the cruise to drive to NJ. There are too many potential "what if's" that could happen. I say play it safe and go up the night before.

Tina

I have read through most of the posts here, so I kinda have an idea of what I need to do. So here is my plan, let me know if I am way off.

We are planning on Explorer on Nov 28 returning Dec 10.

We would take the Amtrak from VA to the station at Newark Airport and stay at the Courtyard hotel near the airport on Nov 27. Then take the shuttle from airport to pier on Nov 28. Then reverse the order when we return on Dec 10 and take the Amtrak home on Dec 11. I think I saw that shuttle is $15 pp. each way.

Any advise is appreciated.

Basic plan is good. However, there are 2 Courtyards at the airport - one in Newark and one in Elizabeth. Which one are you staying at? Big difference between these properties. The $15 shuttle to the pier has seemed to be somewhat elusive. Bayonne Taxi does run some sort of shuttle, but folks have had trouble getting a commitment from them from Newark to Bayonne. Were you able to make some sort of reservation?

By driving our car to the pier, the disembarkation was a lot less chaotic than it seemed. Our friends and we pushed and pulled our suitcases to the parking lot, got in the car went out without getting in the long line and were on our way quickly - not a long walk(we are not young, but not old) and not worth waiting for the shuttle bus! The lines of traffic were horrendous looking - don't know if they moved fast or not.

janetz - there are basically two areas to look at if you are driving to the port - Newark Airport and Secaucus. There are no hotels really near the port - the Jersey City hotels are closest, but they are pricey and most charge for parking. What dates are you looking at? If you're in the Berkshires, you can drive down the same day, but I can understand if you want to be in the area the night before. Do you want to go into NYC? If so, that changes the recommendations we would make.

Basic plan is good. However, there are 2 Courtyards at the airport - one in Newark and one in Elizabeth. Which one are you staying at? Big difference between these properties. The $15 shuttle to the pier has seemed to be somewhat elusive. Bayonne Taxi does run some sort of shuttle, but folks have had trouble getting a commitment from them from Newark to Bayonne. Were you able to make some sort of reservation?

Actually, the hotel is Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott that I am looking to book. I have not contacted anyone yet regarding transportation from Amtrak station to hotel and then on to dock.

I'm seeing the Marriott at $113 incl tax on 11/27. On Kayak.com you can book directly with Marriott and it is noncancellable. However, it looks like if you book through Orbitz you can cancel up until 4 pm the day before you arrive. Can you manage your luggage? If you get off at the Newark Airport station, you have to go up the escalators to the monorail and go to the P4 station where you can get the free hotel shuttle to the Marriott.

I'm seeing the Marriott at $113 incl tax on 11/27. On Kayak.com you can book directly with Marriott and it is noncancellable. However, it looks like if you book through Orbitz you can cancel up until 4 pm the day before you arrive. Can you manage your luggage? If you get off at the Newark Airport station, you have to go up the escalators to the monorail and go to the P4 station where you can get the free hotel shuttle to the Marriott.

they have elevators too

Thanks to everyone for the great directions, parking info, etc. We've been part-time Jersey residents for years, but rarely get above Atlantic City (exit 38), so we're not at all familiar with the northern sections of the GSP. Good directions take the stress out of getting there! :)

Hey guys thanks for all the posts...you are all a wealth of knowledge. This is my situation. I arrive back to Cape Liberty on May 16, 2010 and I have no one to pick me up at the port. I need to get into Manhattan somehow and then get to Penn Station so I can take a Long Island Railroad train to Long Island.

I am a solo and I really can't afford a cab to Manhattan for $100.00. Does anyone have any ideas? I've read about a shuttle but I'm not sure if one really exists. I also hear about light rail and Path train but I am confused as to where to find them and if they are the same thing....I am not familiar with NJ.

Thanks for any advice!!!:D

Great - just a reality check. You take a cab from the port to the Hudson Bergen Light Rail at 34th St. in Bayonne ($8 + tip). The ticket will probably be $2.10 (they are raising fares soon) and you have to buy it from a ticket machine before boarding. Take the light rail to Hoboken where you go into the terminal and take the Path train ($1.75 - buy it from the machine) to 33rd St. in Manhattan, which is at 6th Ave. From there you can walk one avenue over to 7th ave and the LIRR Penn Station will be right there. Train access is all a level entrance from the platform. At 33rd St. you will have to look around for the elevator. Total cost about $14. Others have done this and had no problem - depending on the time of day it could be faster than other ground transportation.

Great - just a reality check. You take a cab from the port to the Hudson Bergen Light Rail at 34th St. in Bayonne ($8 + tip). The ticket will probably be $2.10 (they are raising fares soon) and you have to buy it from a ticket machine before boarding. Take the light rail to Hoboken where you go into the terminal and take the Path train ($1.75 - buy it from the machine) to 33rd St. in Manhattan, which is at 6th Ave. From there you can walk one avenue over to 7th ave and the LIRR Penn Station will be right there. Train access is all a level entrance from the platform. At 33rd St. you will have to look around for the elevator. Total cost about $14. Others have done this and had no problem - depending on the time of day it could be faster than other ground transportation.

Excellent....thanks so much......I'll let you know how it goes:)

Help again please. I just spoke to Amtrak. They tell me that it will be an additional $110 per person to change our trains from the stop at the airport to the stop at the Newark Station. That said, how do I get to the port at Bayonne? Is the cab still around $50 from the airport train station?

That's amazing. From Newark Airport station you will have to take the Airtrain to one of the terminals and go downstairs to get a cab there. There is no vehicle access to Newark Airport Station. This means you will have to be able to roll your luggage a bit.

Did Amtrak explain why the huge price difference? The cab price will be the same, but the hassle will be more.

Archived