Cape Liberty/Bayonne 411 - New and Improved!

megr1125

Give us more details? Will you have a car or will you need transportation? What day of the week will you be doing this? The easiest way to get there is to go to Liberty State Park and take the ferry from there. If you don't have a car, it might be cheaper to rent one for the day than to pay for cabs to and from the park. IMO from Country Inns it will take you forever to go there by public transportation.

Give us more details? Will you have a car or will you need transportation? What day of the week will you be doing this? The easiest way to get there is to go to Liberty State Park and take the ferry from there. If you don't have a car, it might be cheaper to rent one for the day than to pay for cabs to and from the park. IMO from Country Inns it will take you forever to go there by public transportation.

We would have our vehicle, but would hire if less hassle, etc.... We would be doing this on a Tues or Wed in late April. Thanks much for your help!

We had the unfortunate experience is having to use Port Liberty on our recent cruise on the Explorer of the Seas. It is, hands down, the worst port I have ever experienced! The place looks like an abandoned industrial - think is an old military installation. There is only one lane of traffic going in and out of the port - so you have the passengers embarking at the same time as all of the local family members, pre-arranged transfers and others who are picking up departing passengers. There is NO passenger terminal - more like a tent city. Arriving passengers are unloading in front of the same tent where the departing passengers are trying to get their luggage loaded in one of those many vehicles in that single line of traffic! It took us approximately 45 minutes from the time we left the main road that takes you to the entrance to the "port" to reach the actual drop off stop in front of the tent entrance. Then once you have checked in at the tent area, you have to board busses to be transported to the ship. This process took about 25 minutes although the ship was in clear view and a short distance away. We were in a line of busses unloading passengers one bus at a time, and it seemed that the process was not very efficient. When we departed, we again experienced this fiasco of an operation. Our pre-arranged transfer was on the grounds of the port for over 45 minutes before he could snake around to the tent where we had to stand and wait for him to arrive. There was no seat to be found to sit and wait for your driver to arrive! FYI, the people doing all of these opoerations at the port were not RCCL staff but some local hired group that works at the "Port!!" I have complained to RCCL about the horrible experience we had both when we were arriving as well as when we were departing, but they said that facility if operated locally and they have no control. I suggested that they look at using a different port! :mad:

FYI, the people doing all of these opoerations at the port were not RCCL staff but some local hired group that works at the "Port!!" I have complained to RCCL about the horrible experience we had both when we were arriving as well as when we were departing, but they said that facility if operated locally and they have no control. I suggested that they look at using a different port! :mad:

ALL of the NY/NJ ports are government/privately owned and just lease space for docking to the cruise lines. You are dealing with the East Coast-lots of unions who hold control over the ports. To the best of my knowledge, there are NO cruise lines who have workers in the NY/NJ ports other than the check in people (who are generally temp contract workers). I deal with this every day trying to get stuff out of Port Newark/Elizabeth/Bayonne and Brooklyn. It has been that way for years and years. Just this morning, one of my drivers went in to pick up stuff in Port Elizabeth. They charged him $32 AND he had to load his own 3 pallets. Still trying to figure out what we paid $32.00 for.

Sorry you had a bad experience, but that is just the way it is. Celebrity/RCCL dock in Bayonne because they got bargain basement docking fees. BUT they must adhere to all the port and longshoreman rules.

ALL of the NY/NJ ports are government/privately owned and just lease space for docking to the cruise lines. You are dealing with the East Coast-lots of unions who hold control over the ports. To the best of my knowledge, there are NO cruise lines who have workers in the NY/NJ ports other than the check in people (who are generally temp contract workers). I deal with this every day trying to get stuff out of Port Newark/Elizabeth/Bayonne and Brooklyn. It has been that way for years and years. Just this morning, one of my drivers went in to pick up stuff in Port Elizabeth. They charged him $32 AND he had to load his own 3 pallets. Still trying to figure out what we paid $32.00 for.

Sorry you had a bad experience, but that is just the way it is. Celebrity/RCCL dock in Bayonne because they got bargain basement docking fees. BUT they must adhere to all the port and longshoreman rules.

WELCOME to life in the NY/NJ area.

Idle question that cannot be truly answered but what the hell.

Meg, 138 or whoever,

We're coming to Bayonne on May 8. The car is picking us up at 9:30 which should get us to the port between 10:30 and 11:00 AM. Any advice on whether I should stock alcohol in the car or will traffic horrors be less at that hour?

WELCOME to life in the NY/NJ area.

Have an office/warehouse in the Bronx. Been doing business in that area for over 30 years. STILL trying to figure out the $32.00 charge for loading our own truck. That was a new one for me.

John,

I've been on the Explorer 4 times and always arrive between 10:30 and 11 am. I've had consistently good experiences - we've never waited more that 15 minutes in the line. It's more difficult for me because I travel with my now 91 year old mother who has a wheelchair, oxygen concentrator, and oxygen tubes plus all the rest of our luggage. There are always RCL folks there to assist with Mom and the handicapped parking is steps from the end of the tent.

However, we ALWAYS go prepared to wait, but with books, not alcohol. I stock up on alcohol only when faced with an airlines terminal.

Sharon - it's an easy drive to Liberty State Park from Country Inns - it's exit 14B on the turnpike - one exit beyond the port exit. Tuesday or Wednesday morning should be no problem. However, look closely at the Liberty State Park web site. There is parking at the ferry ($5??), but on a weekday morning it is possible the commuters might fill it up before you get there - see if you can find a number to call about that. There is also parking for the park and you take a shuttle bus to the ferry - $1.35 EXACT CHANGE.

Sharon - it's an easy drive to Liberty State Park from Country Inns - it's exit 14B on the turnpike - one exit beyond the port exit. Tuesday or Wednesday morning should be no problem. However, look closely at the Liberty State Park web site. There is parking at the ferry ($5??), but on a weekday morning it is possible the commuters might fill it up before you get there - see if you can find a number to call about that. There is also parking for the park and you take a shuttle bus to the ferry - $1.35 EXACT CHANGE.

Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge of this area.....your advice is priceless! I'll check out the web site. We are looking forward to a cruise out of Bayonne on EOS and would be lost, I think, in this busy area! Thanks again.

Dreaming ................... of .................Floating....................Again :D

Sharon

The parking for the park is free, but the shuttle bus is $1.35/pp (or maybe a bit more by the time you get there). I don't think there will be a parking space issue. Also, on a Tuesday or Wednesday morning I don't think you need to make reservations to go to Ellis Island and the SOL from Liberty State Park. Not having specific time reservations will take some of the pressure off you to get there at a specific time. However, if you want to do something special at the SOL, you should consider reservations.

I just wanted to thank the people doing this thread. We are on the EOS on April 15 and I have found this thread most valuable. I do have a question. We will take the hotel shuttle to the port - from Country Inn and Suites in Elizabeth, NJ - but I am still trying to sort out transportation on our return. We are returning to the hotel for one last night before flying out on Sunday. Should I arrange for a car or are there taxis at the port when you get off? We have only boarded in Florida before and there were cabs available but I was not sure about Bayonne. Can someone let me know? Thanks for everything - I really appreciate it.

Bob

It is my impression that the hotel offers round trip shuttle service to Bayonne. I think the hotel will take you back to either the airport or the hotel. The next day you can take the hotel shuttle back to the airport.

Greetings all,

I'm Just wondering if the long term parking situation has changed recently at Cape Liberty. We were there last May and it was a nightmare trying to unload luggage then trying to get to a parking spot.

Thanks

It hasn't changed. What time did you get there? It definitely can be busy, but I think it's rather easy and I travel with my 91 year old mother, an oxygen machine, a suitcase of oxygen, a wheelchair, and our luggage. I arrive between 10:30 and 11 - there may be a short traffic line at that point. You wait in line until it's your turn to pull in and unload. You get luggage tags for all your luggage and give everything but your carryons to the porters. I have to get an RCL rep to help with my mother and our large carryons. You then make two quick lefts to circle back to the parking, which is right across the road from the terminal - no worse than a mall parking lot. You walk back to the terminal, check in, and you're ready to take the quick bus ride to the ship.

You have to be prepared to wait and be patient - books and magazines are good. IMO dealing with an airport is much much worse - they can be nasty about curbside pull-ins, the parking is way far away, the security process is a nightmare, and you have a much longer wait to get on your plane.

We usually get there after 12. We'll try to arrive earlier this time.

I agree it's much better than dealing with an airport. I would prefer having the option of parking first then wheeling our bags to the check in area rather than waiting in line to unload first.

Thanks

I see no reason why you can't do that. You will get through the traffic line much faster if you are just staying left and going through. I've often thought they could improve the traffic flow a lot if they would allow "parkers only" to turn left at the start of the circle and then go right directly into the parking. However, I'm sure they want to keep down the number of folks who are trolling luggage in from the parking lot. Each sailing has many people who have no clue.

I would like to add my thanks to the posters that regularly answer questions on this board. I have found the infomation provided to be extremely helpful in planning our upcoming cruise.

At the end of our cruise we will be spending some time in New York. I have found very good public transit directions here for our trip from Cape Liberty to New York. However, I am still a little uncertain about options for our return trip from New York to Newark Airport. I understand there is a train available from New York to Newark airport. We will leave New York on the morning of Monday, April 19 to connect with a 10:30 am flight. Where does this train originate in NY and do you have any idea what time we should board the train to arrive at the airport two hours ahead of flight time.

Again, thank you for any information you can provide.

Jim

Lots of trains during rush hour. www.njtransit.com They originate from the 8th Avenue side of Penn Station at 31st-32nd St.

NEC is Northeast Corridor - sample destination would be Trenton

NJCL is North Jersey Coast Line - sample destinations would be Long Branch & Bay Head

New York Newark Airport

07:27 AM - NEC07:49 AM22 minutes07:32 AM - NJCL07:54 AM22 minutes07:36 AM - NEC07:59 AM23 minutes07:44 AM - NJCL08:08 AM24 minutes07:53 AM - NEC08:17 AM24 minutes08:05 AM - NEC08:27 AM22 minutes08:12 AM - NEC08:35 AM23 minutes

We've decided to take a car service going from the pier to Manhattan when we end our cruise on Sunday, April 25. I'd like to use a company based near the pier and I've found one named JerseyOne Car and Limo. They're only about 10 minutes away so if we're delayed, I can call them and not be charged crazy waiting fees. Does anybody have any feedback on this company? They're a little higher priced than some others but I'm hoping to see if they'll come down a little if we decide to use them. Any other suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks for any replies.

Where are you going from the pier? How much are you being quoted for the trip? There are several New Yorkers who routinely use car services and post on this forum and can make suggestions to you. Many NY car services are available on short notice - no need to reserve months in advance. You can call the same day when you know what your timing is. That's just the way NYC city works.

We've decided to take a car service going from the pier to Manhattan when we end our cruise on Sunday, April 25. I'd like to use a company based near the pier and I've found one named JerseyOne Car and Limo. They're only about 10 minutes away so if we're delayed, I can call them and not be charged crazy waiting fees. Does anybody have any feedback on this company? They're a little higher priced than some others but I'm hoping to see if they'll come down a little if we decide to use them. Any other suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks for any replies.

We used Dial 7 a couple of weeks ago to go from Cape Liberty to Manhattan. Our driver was friendly and a careful driver (unlike most taxi drivers, lol). We had asked for 9:30 on our reservation but we ended up getting off the ship around 8:15 so we called them after we got through customs and waited about 20 minutes for the driver to show up. Dial 7 has been recommended by others before which is why we used them.

We're planning on the Oct 28, 2010, sailing of the Explorer from Cape Liberty, and we're still in the planning stages. We will be flying Southwest from Portland, OR, to LaGuardia, scheduled to arrive in LGA about 6 p.m. We'll probably spend the nite at an airport hotel, then go into NYC for a couple of days (any ideas on reasonable hotels in a decent area there?), then to Cape Liberty to pick up the ship. Since we're not familiar with either NYC or NJ, we would appreciate any transportation ideas. There will be 3 seniors (active seniors) with 3 suitcases, so we don't think we want to try public transportation to hotels or the cruise ship. Is it possible to do day trips into NYC from one of the LaGuardia airport hotels? Perhaps public transportation would work for that? It appears that Southwest doesn't have any afternoon flights back to the west coast, so we will have to spend another nite at an airport hotel near LaGuardia. Would appreciate any advice.

We're planning on the Oct 28, 2010, sailing of the Explorer from Cape Liberty, and we're still in the planning stages. We will be flying Southwest from Portland, OR, to LaGuardia, scheduled to arrive in LGA about 6 p.m. We'll probably spend the nite at an airport hotel, then go into NYC for a couple of days (any ideas on reasonable hotels in a decent area there?), then to Cape Liberty to pick up the ship. Since we're not familiar with either NYC or NJ, we would appreciate any transportation ideas. There will be 3 seniors (active seniors) with 3 suitcases, so we don't think we want to try public transportation to hotels or the cruise ship. Is it possible to do day trips into NYC from one of the LaGuardia airport hotels? Perhaps public transportation would work for that? It appears that Southwest doesn't have any afternoon flights back to the west coast, so we will have to spend another nite at an airport hotel near LaGuardia. Would appreciate any advice.

Let's first make sure that the geography here is understood. LaGuardia Airport is within New York City. However, the "City" is divided into five boroughs. LaGuardia Airport is within the borough of Queens. The borough of Manhattan--the location of most tourist sights--is to the west. Many people casually, but incorrectly, refer only to the borough of Manhattan as "New York City," and give various derisive labels to the other boroughs. The Cape Liberty Cruise Port is within the City of Bayonne, N.J., which is then further west from Manhattan.

It is possible to stay in a hotel near LaGuardia Airport or in Manhattan. There are no hotels in Bayonne (though there is a no-tell motel within the City and hotels in nearby cities). The advantage to staying in Manhattan is that you are likely close to most of the tourist sights, and transportation will not be of great concern. But convenience comes at a steep price. Hotels near LaGuardia Airport tend to be less expensive, but you would then have to rely on transportation going to and from Manhattan, and probably taking 30 minutes--more or less--each way.

The airport hotels closest to LaGuardia are not near the subway, so you would have to take both a bus and a subway train to get to Manhattan. However, there are a handful of airport hotels located in the community of Flushing, Queens that are within a short walk of both the subway (30 minutes to Manhattan) and the railroad (20 minutes to Manhattan). If you're going to use an airport hotel you should consider one that is in Flushing, Queens. Respectable hotels include the Lexington Marco LaGuardia Hotel (formerly Wingate), Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel, Howard Johnson LaGuardia Airport East, Comfort Inn Flushing, Red Roof Inn Flushing, and Best Western Queens Court Hotel.

In any case, I would avoid staying the first night at an airport hotel, then moving to a Manhattan hotel for the remaining nights. Rather, I would choose either the airport or Manhattan for the entire stay.

Your transportation with luggage will consist of several legs. First, from the airport to the hotel. Then hotel to Cape Liberty. Return from Cape Liberty to hotel. Last, from hotel to airport. By staying at an airport hotel you'll eliminate the cost of a taxi for the first and last transfer if the hotel provides courtesy transportation. If you stay at a hotel in Manhattan you'll have to pay for transportation to and from the airport. The taxi or car service will likely be less expensive between Manhattan and Cape Liberty than it would be between Queens and Cape Liberty.

Finally, since you're planning now in advance of your travels, you might want to have everyone in your group apply for a reduced-fare MetroCard. This will cut the bus and subway fare in half (only $1.125 per trip instead of $2.25). The card is free. Apply here: http://www.mta.info/nyct/fare/rfapply.htm

Archived