Cape Liberty/Bayonne 411 - New and Improved!

megr1125

This is still an unresolved situation. RCL says no more painting. No one really knows for sure. I just missed the fall episode. Apparently the paint shield was damaged in a storm and they painted anyway.

We do recommend the Jersey City hotels. The problem is that they tend to be expensive unless you can get one of the two 4* hotels (Westin or Hyatt) on Priceline or Hotwire for your date. They also involve an extra cab fare of $50 if you're flying and many of them also charge for parking. Most folks are looking for a more budget alternative that they can live with. If they're going to spend that kind of money, they will often take almost any hotel in NY over Jersey City.

Guest maddycat
I have seen no reports of paint overspray from the Bayonne Drydock facility since last fall. I have also read here that RCI says the facility won't paint there anymore. However, the official website for the dry dock company indicates that it has full paint services in Bayonne. http://www.bayonnedrydock.com/bayonne.html

I'm wondering if painting was only suspended due to the cold temperatures in the fall and winter months. We are on the Explorer in June and I'm concerned, since we have a new car.

I have parked there before, without any problems. Is the parking still close to the dry dock, or on the other side of the terminal, away from the dry dock? I know that they have moved it around sometimes. We had dropped off luggage and continued away from the dry dock to park on the far side of the terminal the last time we were there.

Eric

We just returned from a 7 night cruise on the Summit last Sunday. There were cars parked for both the Summit and Explorer cruises. All cars were parked near the drydock. No paint overspray problems that I know of.

There is no way you could pack for both of you on the bike only. Are you trailering the bike? They will charge you for 2 spots at the pier... pricey. One vehicle wouldn't be too bad if one rides the bike and the other 3 go down in your vehicle leaving the trailer at the hotel. I'm pretty sure we had to be at the port between 0930 and 1000, I don't think your shuttle would take you there that early. ETA will send you this information before you sail. People were still leaving as we were arriving. You still will probably not get to your stateroom until after 1 o'clock. You can take your carryon's up to the Windjammer for lunch, then probably get into your stateroom afterwards. If you have other questions, you can always e-mail me at xraymagic@hotmail.com.

Thank you, again...for your input, xraymagic!! At this point, we are putting the bike in the back of our truck and driving it there from MN and stopping at few places...like the Football Hall of Fame near Akron, OH...etc... We have a reservation at the Country Inn & Suites in Elizabeth, NJ for a room & cruise package with parking for $35 for the week. They also provide a shuttle to the port. But, we may end up getting a car service or taxi to the port if we can't go earlier when DH takes the bike over to board. Thanks for the email...it's so nice of you to help me :) I may just use it...with the questions I keep thinking of! :confused:

We just returned from a 7 night cruise on the Summit last Sunday. There were cars parked for both the Summit and Explorer cruises. All cars were parked near the drydock. No paint overspray problems that I know of.

Thanks for the information Madeline.

Eric

I know the answer is somewhere in the back pages, but could you indulge me for this one time?

We are arriving at EWR at 4:10pm on Tues, 5/11. Checking options to get to hotel. The Sheraton Meadowlands offers a free shuttle from Secaucus Jct. Looking online at njtransit it looks like the rail fare is $12.25pp. Is there a cheaper public transportation method? For that price we may as well reserve a cab. I thought there would be a train that costs only a couple bucks...maybe not?

Susan

I know the answer is somewhere in the back pages, but could you indulge me for this one time?

We are arriving at EWR at 4:10pm on Tues, 5/11. Checking options to get to hotel. The Sheraton Meadowlands offers a free shuttle from Secaucus Jct. Looking online at njtransit it looks like the rail fare is $12.25pp. Is there a cheaper public transportation method? For that price we may as well reserve a cab. I thought there would be a train that costs only a couple bucks...maybe not?

Susan

Cab to the Sheraton will run $45-50. NJ Transit trains are NOT cheap (as in a couple of bucks). You need to make arrangements with the Sheraton IN ADVANCE to have the shuttle pick you up. I stay there frequently. While I have had excellent shuttle service, others I have spoken with have not.

Please be aware that you will be dragging luggage onto the AirTrain, then onto NJ Transit at the airport station. I know the cab/car service will cost you considerably more. But for all the hassle, especially if you have much luggage, I personally wouldn't do it.

yes...thanks to our uh, the man who works in the building with the fancy gold roof....:rolleyes::mad:

that 10% was one of the SMALLER hikes too!

Sorry about that but the previous governor ran up the tab. My NJ ton/mile tax (what I have to pay for every mile and every pound of freight I haul in NJ) went up 18% on May 1. A choice I never thought I would see was bringing freight into NJ vs NY via container from overseas. The price is now VERY close and I have to make a decision whether I offload container freight in NY (where I unload a lot of trucks with produce and meat) vs NJ (where I unload very few trucks). I chose on Friday to offload 22 containers in NYC rather than NJ. I NEVER thought I would see the day when NYC was cheaper than NJ but it is here and now (even with the high dollar unions in NYC). Such a sad state of affairs. I wonder when the NJ fuel tax will go up. Every trucking company in the country fills up (about 250 gallons per truck) with NJ fuel because the taxes were cheaper. Now, not so sure.

Thanks you guys for the advice. I was kinda leaning toward contacting Black Car anyways and I did. They had sent me a quote in Jan. for $58 incl tolls etc, so I hope it will still be the same.

Susan

Sorry about that but the previous governor ran up the tab. My NJ ton/mile tax (what I have to pay for every mile and every pound of freight I haul in NJ) went up 18% on May 1. A choice I never thought I would see was bringing freight into NJ vs NY via container from overseas. The price is now VERY close and I have to make a decision whether I offload container freight in NY (where I unload a lot of trucks with produce and meat) vs NJ (where I unload very few trucks). I chose on Friday to offload 22 containers in NYC rather than NJ. I NEVER thought I would see the day when NYC was cheaper than NJ but it is here and now (even with the high dollar unions in NYC). Such a sad state of affairs. I wonder when the NJ fuel tax will go up. Every trucking company in the country fills up (about 250 gallons per truck) with NJ fuel because the taxes were cheaper. Now, not so sure.

If it makes you feel any better, just imagine what you would pay over here in the UK. I use around 100 litres a day in my truck and diesel is currently about £1.20/litre (which is about $6.50/gal) of which nearly 75% is tax and duty.

Simon

Has anyone parked at Park2Go for a cruise out of Cape Liberty? It's a little cheaper than at the port and they shuttle you there and assist with luggage. What would be the negatives to this?

Thanks or any info.

Have you confirmed that their $15.99/day rate includes taxes? If it does, you save $3.00/day plus some tolls. If not, the savings is less. You're going on a 7 day cruise and IMO it's not worth it for $21+ to lose control over when you arrive and when you leave the port. Would you tip the shuttle driver if he helped with the luggage? If so, then you would have almost no savings. It's nice to arrive at the port between 10:30 and 11 to board around 12. Coming back there's nothing like just walking to the parking, hopping in your car, and taking off for home.

That price does include tax and the total for the week is $113.05. You make some valid points and we will consider those when making our decision. Thanks.

Better check that again about the taxes. We park a couple of semi trailers occasionally in the lot next door (owned by the same people). They charge us $20.00 per day or so they say. There is ALWAYS a hassle when my drivers go to pay because they have one or two twenties to pay the bill and then it is PLUS tax so they are scrambling to find some more cash OR they have to put it on their own debit/credit cards and we have to reimburse them. It ALWAYS causes a hassle and we just don't park there much anymore.

There is also a fuel surcharge (it was $2.00) which we have fought about two or three times. It is for the shuttle and my drivers just leave in their tractors-we don't need the shuttle. But getting the person at the gate to take it off the bill is another problem.

This is also a HEAVY, HEAVY truck traffic area (Dowd Ave). One of the largest food warehouses on the East Coast is right down the street (Wakefern).

By the time you pay for the fuel surcharge and I will bet you have to pay taxes, you will save very little. AND as was pointed out, you are NOT on your own schedule.

I guess I just made up my mind where to park! Thanks for your help. Since we have a 12 hour trip south after the cruise, it'll be best to leave from the port on our own terms-besides the hassle, the port is closer to the NJ Turnpike and no need to wait for shuttle drivers.

We will be going on a 9 day cruise from Cape Liberty, I called today about booking a room with the Hilton Garden Inn at Staten Island, I talked to a young lady she was not sure of how it worked, she said the package would be 179.00 for park and shuttle as long as we stayed the night before or after. I asked if the shuttle would pick us back up from the pier, she said I suppose it will. Not much information! Has anyone booked this and if so could you tell me how it works or if you might have any other suggestions on where to stay park and shuttle to the Cape Liberty Port, Any ADVISE and HELP would love to have! Thanks

We will be going on a 9 day cruise from Cape Liberty, I called today about booking a room with the Hilton Garden Inn at Staten Island, I talked to a young lady she was not sure of how it worked, she said the package would be 179.00 for park and shuttle as long as we stayed the night before or after. I asked if the shuttle would pick us back up from the pier, she said I suppose it will. Not much information! Has anyone booked this and if so could you tell me how it works or if you might have any other suggestions on where to stay park and shuttle to the Cape Liberty Port, Any ADVISE and HELP would love to have! Thanks

AGAIN, add up ALL the costs-extra toll to Staten island, extra tolls on the NJ Turnpike, extra gratuity BOTH ways for the shuttle driver.

IMHO, IF YOU HAVE A CAR, you will get a FAAAR better hotel using Hotwire/Priceline BIDDING around Secaucus and have a better experience (restaurants/shopping/movie theaters/gyms-if you have a 24 Fitness membership, it is good in Secaucus). Drive your car to the port and park in the lot. NO waiting for shuttles. NO being on someone else's schedule. You get off at Exit X, 16 or 17 on the NJTP to get to all the areas (depends on where you are going). You can even drive across RT 3, then down 1 & 9 onto 440 and save the NJTP tolls if you want.

The amount you save on a park and stay/shuttle hotel is VERY small if you have a car.

Greatam - I tend to agree with you about the price difference. However, let's get more info from the OP so we can provide all the options for his choice.

cruisemateth - How many people are you? What time do you expect to arrive in the NY area? June 9?

Please read my description of Hilton Gardens on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1195804. The difference in NJ turnpike tolls is actually $.50 in favor of driving to Staten Island. However, the bridge crossing is $8.

Archived