Cape Liberty/Bayonne 411 - New and Improved!

megr1125

I have a question about parking at Bayonne terminal. We went on a cruise from there in 2008 but it seems that parking has gone up. If you use a cab or car service, can they just pick up on the return or is it like the airport where you are the mercy of the awful taxi stand? Are they any other options from central NJ?

The current parking fee is $19 per day, which as I recall isn't all that much higher than it was a couple of years ago.

Yes, you can arrange for the car or limo service of your choice to take you to and pick you up at the pier. You are not limited to the local Bayonne taxi company(ies).

By the way, you can have a car or limo service pick you up at the airport too. We always do. We never take a taxi home from any of the airports.

Thanks a lot for your help!!! Honest I did do a search but I obviously did something wrong!! Dennis

You're welcome. I didn't include several threads because it seems this bus service is much more popular among those who live north of NY/NJ. For some reason, it hasn't quite caught on as much in the Baltimore/DC area.

The fact that a new ship is coming to Bayonne has definitely piqued my interest. The bus from Baltimore would be our first choice, with Amtrak as second and driving as our last resort. Then again, there's always the Boltbus or Megabus into Manhattan. Thank goodness for options. ;)

You're going to have to make a choice. You're not going to get a hotel nearby a decent restaurant and a hotel with shuttle and parking in the same area. Here are the options we have been suggesting.

1) Stay in Secaucus. Bid for a 3* room on Priceline or choose from Hotwire. Hotwire is currently showing a 3* at $83 + tax which may be Hyatt Place or La Quinta. Restaurants: http://www.meadowlandslibertycvb.com/list_restaurants.php?list=all Cost would be about $100 for the room and $133 for parking at the port.

2) Stay at Country Inns in Elizabeth - $167 incl tax for the sleep/cruise shuttle and $35 to park for the week. Nearby is a Ruby Tuesdays (not good reviews), an IHOP, and a food court in Jersey Gardens Mall. You could drive to restaurants in Newark's Ironbound district, but... you should have a destination with detailed maps. You do not want to get lost in Newark! Cost would be $202 + shuttle tips

3) Stay at a park/cruise hotel - www.trinityreservations.com - Fairfield Inn $106 incl tax or Wyndham Gardens $137 incl tax. Make your own car service reservations to Bayonne - $100 + tips. Pick a Newark restaurant and drive to it or do takeout. Cost would be $206 + car service tips.

Thanks so much for all your help I booked with Country Inns and Suites. Have you talked to Meg she had to cut here b2b out for medical reasons I hope it is not serious, and I also read on hear about your mom, Im so very sorry to read about your mom, You and Meg are 2 very special women ! I just want to let you know You,Meg, and your moms are in my prayers.

Thank you cruisemateth. I emailed Meg, but I don't expect to hear back from her until she actually gets home and has a chance to deal with her mother's medical issue. It's really tough - I've been through something similar with my mom for the last 2 weeks. However, things are looking up for us - Mom is being transferred to rehab today. I hope all goes as well for Meg and her mom.

Thank you cruisemateth. I emailed Meg, but I don't expect to hear back from her until she actually gets home and has a chance to deal with her mother's medical issue. It's really tough - I've been through something similar with my mom for the last 2 weeks. However, things are looking up for us - Mom is being transferred to rehab today. I hope all goes as well for Meg and her mom.

Carol hope all is well with you, you are up late! How is your moms rehab going? I'm glad to see Meg posting, I hope things are looking better for her mom as well! I know what it is like to be a care giver My 38 year old son has been very sick for the past 8 yrs he has had several surgerys, he just got out of the hospital Friday he spent 2 weeks in there after surgery on bowel and stomach. Its hard to watch some one you love be so sick ! My prayers are with you, meg and your moms!

Thanks....mom's home....her issue was kind of weird, but not totally unusual -no need to poke around.

she still has her other issues, but we will just continue doing what we do.....as long as we can...

so now i am back and can answer ???s.....

carol, hope mom's doing better

We are on a 5 night Explorer to Bermuda in August. We have a 12:40 flight from Newark home. I am trying to complete our Set Sail Pass and am getting the following message after I put my return flight information in: The suggested departure time and date to make transportation plans after disembarking the ship is 2:00 PM.

Is this correct? Any suggestions how to get around it? Should I put in that I have a 2:00 flight and then punt from there? We will be carrying our luggage off the ship. Thanks very much.

I am trying to find out the position of the cruise terminal on the 'Peninsular'. Is it near the eastern tip or somewhere in the middle? I looked at Google's satellite image but to no avail.

It hasn't been updated. On this map http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=40.668986,-74.083471&num=1&t=h&sll=40.665405,-74.079094&sspn=0.018848,0.036306&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=40.665405,-74.079094&spn=0.018848,0.036306&z=15 the green arrow is the approx position of the terminal. The Explorer moors with her nose level with the Tear Drop Memorial (marked) and her stern is about level with the left end of the first stack of pallets (or whatever they are!)

Simon

We are driving from central NY to NJ the day before our cruise departure, August 22, 2010, on Celebrity Summit. We are looking for a hotel in the Meadowlands area that is on a bus route to Port Authority in Manhattan. We want to meet our sons in midtown that evening.

We had planned on driving ourselves to the pier and parking there for the

week.

Would appreciate any advice on hotels and driving to/parking at the pier.

Thanks!

Hello again,

I posted earlier regarding traveling time from cleveland, ohio. I've decided to drive up the night before and stay in a hotel. I haven't decided on where to stay and was wondering if anyone had any good places they have stayed near port liberty, nj.

I may stay an hour away outside of the busy area but I wanted to see what the recommendations are. My cruise leaves out of cape liberty on saturday. (6-5-2010)

Thanks for any input. :)

We are driving from central NY to NJ the day before our cruise departure, August 22, 2010, on Celebrity Summit. We are looking for a hotel in the Meadowlands area that is on a bus route to Port Authority in Manhattan. We want to meet our sons in midtown that evening.

We had planned on driving ourselves to the pier and parking there for the

week.

Would appreciate any advice on hotels and driving to/parking at the pier.

Thanks!

Bid 3.5* Meadowlands/Rutherford on Priceline. 99% chance your get the Sheraton, right off the NJ Turnpike. You can catch the 320 bus to Port Authority or take the train from Secaucus Junction into NYC. BEST hotel bargain in the area if you have a car=$65-100 usually.

Hello again,

I posted earlier regarding traveling time from cleveland, ohio. I've decided to drive up the night before and stay in a hotel. I haven't decided on where to stay and was wondering if anyone had any good places they have stayed near port liberty, nj.

I may stay an hour away outside of the busy area but I wanted to see what the recommendations are. My cruise leaves out of cape liberty on saturday. (6-5-2010)

Again, bid 3.5* Meadowlands/Rutherford. Bound to get the Sheraton, right off the Turnpike. You waited a long time to get a hotel. Hope there is one available.

Hello again,

nothing like waiting til almost the end!!!:D KIDDING...it's hot and my mind is nuts.

if you just want a crash pad, many stay near EWR at one of several hotels such as the ones on Glmicher Realty Way (exit 13A off the NJ Turnpike by Jersey Gardens outlets..) there is a Courtyard and Residence Inn by marriott and country inn that we recommend. i was just at the RI last week!

Also there is a brandy new iHop! woohoo...

OR you could stay in the Seacaucus/Meadowlands area-there's a sheraton, courtyard, renaissance and a bunch of others. i think that the sheraton has been gotten on PL and/or HW for under 75 bucks.....but i am not sure of the area or stars.

check my blog for other ideas.....

i am sure carol will be by...and check tomorrow as maybe i will be more functional!!!

an hour away would put you near the Lehigh Valley maybe...not sure which route you are taking. If you want to be about an hour-ish away (maybe less, but not many miles...) i really like the Bridgewater Marriott. It's opposite a real mall, and a strip mall with maggianos, starbucks and a few other things...it's right off of I78/I287 (maybe 2 or 3 miles from 78, but that is a straight shot, and easy-to the pier, aside from construction....i went a couple weeks ago to get our luggage after cutting a b2b2b short-and it only took 45 minutes to get there....)

hth

ETA: thanks greatam!! i knew you or carol would pop on with that sheraton info!!

Well - it looks like Watercrazzy is in luck - the $77 3* hotel is there on Hotwire for 6/4 in Secaucus. There is also a $53 3* hotel in the Parsippany area which is likely to be Summerfield Suites in either Parsippany or Morristown. There is also a 2 1/2* hotel for $45 - don't know exactly what this could be, but a hotel on priceline with a similar rating and amenities is listed as being the Holiday Inn.

Sew4u also has the $77 3* hotel listed for 8/21.

Greatam - if you are going to send folks to the Sheraton and they say they want to go into NY, then you have to describe in detail how to get the bus to NY. As I recall, the bus is not easily accessible from the Sheraton and folks have to drive down to Walmart (???) or over to Secaucus Junction for the train.

Hi there,

Been lurking the forums and can confirm that we just got the Sheraton in Secaucus for $77 on Hotwire and it was a 3 star.

From what I read some say that a shuttle will bring you to the Junction to catch an above ground train into NYC?

Can anyone confirm this for me?

Thanks in advance

Sailing out of Bayone on June 24 on Explorer. We live about 25 miles west of the port in the Plainfield area. I'm exploring the best way for our family of five to get to the port:

Drive ourselves - Simple, convenient. For a 9 day cruise I'm guessing it will count as ten days parking, so $190. Man, I hate to pay $190 just to park my car in an open lot! With coupons I rarely pay more than $10/day to park at Newark Airport.

Get someone else to drive us - Easy on getting there, but more difficult on the return since they'll have to wait until we manage to disembark. A lot to ask of a friend.

Get a friend to drive us one way, and a limo the other. I've found one company, Middlesex County Limo, that would take us in a stretch limo for about $119 plus tolls and tip. Costs about the same as parking, but at least it's fun!

Any other options we should consider?

-Jeff

Ihateclaims - You need to call the hotel to see what the shuttle deal is. Another poster looked into this and it didn't sound so good. Do you have a car? I think you can drive down to Walmart and take the bus from there (or you can drive to the train and pay to park).

We're waiting for Greatam to weigh in on the bus instructions from this hotel.

JerseyGuy - If your cruise is 9 days, you pay for 9 days parking so it's $171. Unfortunately, I think you've got your options covered - pay to park or get rides and/or a car service.

Sailing out of Bayone on June 24 on Explorer. We live about 25 miles west of the port in the Plainfield area. I'm exploring the best way for our family of five to get to the port:

Drive ourselves - Simple, convenient. For a 9 day cruise I'm guessing it will count as ten days parking, so $190. Man, I hate to pay $190 just to park my car in an open lot! With coupons I rarely pay more than $10/day to park at Newark Airport.

Get someone else to drive us - Easy on getting there, but more difficult on the return since they'll have to wait until we manage to disembark. A lot to ask of a friend.

Get a friend to drive us one way, and a limo the other. I've found one company, Middlesex County Limo, that would take us in a stretch limo for about $119 plus tolls and tip. Costs about the same as parking, but at least it's fun!

Any other options we should consider?

-Jeff

try Tru Limo in Linden.......really nice to deal with.....http://www.trulimo.com

Archived