Mariner ice skating question

ro

I apologize in advance if this has already been answered. We've never cruised RCCL (Celebrity and Princess), but we're booked on Mariner in October. My husband enjoys ice skating and wonders if the ice rink is just for ice shows or can we actually skate. He'll bring his skates, if so.

Thanks for the help

There are open skating times during the cruise. The rink itself is relatively small and your husband will have to share it will kids and adults of varying skill levels. They do have skates to use so your husband may want to weigh the hassle of lugging skates onto the ship for what might amount to skating a few times.

thanks guys for the quick answers. I think he'll probably bring his own, given that we don't have to fly; we can drive to the ship.

CC people are the best.

When I booked I enquired about the skate sizes. We discovered that they do not carry a small enough skate for my 4 yr old, a avid skater, and my RCL rep said I could bring her pair on board. Irons are a fire hazard, not a weapon threat :)

I have seen pics of the skates on board...not sure if I want my kiddos putting their feet in them :p:eek: and I figure they will use them several times so it may be worth the hassle of bringing them.

What's wrong with the skates? I wish we lived where we could drive to the port because I do have skates but I have too much transportation to get there to lug them.

Thanks about the pants thing. Do capris work?

My daughter is a higher level competitive skater, and for that reason alone, she will bring her skates. For me it is a nightmare - what if they get lost? For someone who "enjoys" skating... I really don't think it's worth dragging the skates along!

As for putting your feet in skates someone else has worn - they do spray them out with lysol... if that puts your mind at ease?

From what we've seen, the skating happens on Sea Days (for the most part), but we've also experienced trips where, with 2 sea days, there was only one day of skating... not sure why.

What's wrong with the skates? I wish we lived where we could drive to the port because I do have skates but I have too much transportation to get there to lug them.

Thanks about the pants thing. Do capris work?

The boots of the skates are more like thin ski boot shells. Plastic with blades. Uggh.

if you are a skater, the skates onboard are really bad! My sons play hockey and my daughter figure skates and they struggled with the skates onboard. They are hard plastic adjustable style with very dull blades. We were flying so it was not an option, but since you are driving I say go for it. There was one day in the compass which advertised skating for experienced skaters only who had their own skates so some people do this and it is allowed.

My daughter is a higher level competitive skater, and for that reason alone, she will bring her skates. For me it is a nightmare - what if they get lost? For someone who "enjoys" skating... I really don't think it's worth dragging the skates along!

As for putting your feet in skates someone else has worn - they do spray them out with lysol... if that puts your mind at ease?

From what we've seen, the skating happens on Sea Days (for the most part), but we've also experienced trips where, with 2 sea days, there was only one day of skating... not sure why.

It isn't the germs, rather it is that they are so cheap and old! My kids are both avid hockey players and will likely skate as often as they can. I am even flying down and I'm considering bringing the skates, lol.

To the PP that asked RCI about skate sizes ... do you remember the smallest size they had? I have a DS5 that wears a size 10 and DD8 wears an 11.

PHXscuba

My rep said they came as small as a size 2. My youngest DD is 4 and wears a size toddler 6 skate, so that isn't even remotely close to being small enough for her. For those who don't know skate sizing, skates are usually a smaller size # than shoe size, at least for hockey skates this has been true. I'm not sure how the on board skates will size though.

I also don't know if they'll let you bring your own skates. It might be seen as a weapon. Just a thought. Not sure though- they don't let you bring irons, so I can't se razor sharp skates on the OK list.

Irons are not allowed (on any cruise ship) because they're a fire hazard, not because they could be used as a weapon...

Lydia

My daughter is a higher level competitive skater, and for that reason alone, she will bring her skates. For me it is a nightmare - what if they get lost? quote]

It would be a nightmare to lose a pair of skates, I remember those days well. My daughter skated for many years.

I also don't know if they'll let you bring your own skates. It might be seen as a weapon. Just a thought. Not sure though- they don't let you bring irons, so I can't se razor sharp skates on the OK list.

You can certainly bring your own skates. (Airlines do not allow you to bring them on as carry-on so they must be checked.)

There are also "advanced" sessions open only to those who bring their own skates. There is no proficiency prerequisite so no pressure there.

When I booked I enquired about the skate sizes. We discovered that they do not carry a small enough skate for my 4 yr old, a avid skater, and my RCL rep said I could bring her pair on board. Irons are a fire hazard, not a weapon threat :)

I have seen pics of the skates on board...not sure if I want my kiddos putting their feet in them :p:eek: and I figure they will use them several times so it may be worth the hassle of bringing them.

As a matter of policy, you must be wearing socks in order to get skates and they spray each of the boots after every wearing.

Just a couple of thoughts...

The skates are not "old." They're what you would typically see at a rink shoreside (blades are generic - not much of a rocker - or toe pick for that matter). So, if you ARE a skater (hockey or figure), bring your own! There's nothing like YOUR boots!

PS: Not sure about capris. :o

Archived