Grand Turk golf cart rental?

River_Rat

Hi pacarolinagirl,

Did you ever hear from Nathan? I would like to rent carts also. Let me know how you made out please.

We heard from him right away, the next day. He does not take American Express. We always use it traveling, due to their great security. We used Master Card. We asked the next day if all was well, he said yes. Rented one for $70 for the two of us. Walk straight out of port, he will have them parked outside of the gate on the right. We went to the island Museum, my husband does geocaching and they have a cache there. We then asked how to get to lighthouse. Be sure to go the Her Majesty's Prison, it is near Museum and there are signs. We didn't go and were told that night it was fun. Went to the lighthouse and then to the Conch Museum. It is south of the lighthouse on the East Coast go straight south and keep on roads to the left. We enjoyed riding around, it was fun. Then back to Jacks Shack for remainder of the day. Had a fun day. When we were getting off of ship they announced all water activities had been cancelled on the island due to high winds, rough seas and bad undertow. Glad we had decided to rent a golfcart.

Nathan got back to me and we have one reserved, I will call today with CC #. We are only there from11:00 until 5:30, will we have enough time to see everything? How long does it take to get to the lighthouse? Anything else I need to know?

Yes you will have plenty of time. We were there a couple of weeks ago. Get off of the ship right away. Walk through the cruise terminal and bear left. If not sure of how to get out ask. When you walk out of the gates of the cruise terminal Nathan is on the right with the golf carts and some jeeps. To get to the small town go straight and bear left at split in the road (near salt ponds - a small little lake in front of you). We went to the Island museum (to the left) which we enjoyed andbut we missed going to the Her Majesty's Prison (on left)(heard it was good). At the museum they will give you directions of getting to the lighthouse. It was very easy and we had plenty of time. My husband does geocaching so that took time and was great fun. When we had seen what we wanted to see we went back to Jack's Shack. When you are heading back towards the ship watch for the dive shop small sign and Jack's Shack on the right . It is just south of Governors Beach which has a large pier. You can see the pier when getting off of the ship to your left. It is a fun island and the beaches are beautiful. The day we were there they made an announcement on the ship, as we were getting oof of the ship that all water activities were cancelled. The water was too rough and there was a bad undertow. We were glad that we had decided odn the golfcarts. They go pretty fast so you could cover alot of territory while on the island. Sometimes when we noticed alot of cars backing up behind us, we would get off of the road and drive in the grass or stop to let them pass. Have fund the people are fun and very helpful.:D

Edited by jms2362

Hi Y'all,

We'll be in GT in early March on the Eurdam , DH's B-day present to me - yeah. Question is for anyone recently back who may have direct or anecdotal opinions about Nathan's golf cart rental v. a scooter rental in terms of reliability and costs. We would do 2/ scooter. We are in port 8am - 3pm and can get off via priority - part of my B-day present was a "sweet suite".:D We do have past expereince with scooters in general.

Thanks all!:)

Hi Y'all,

We'll be in GT in early March on the Eurdam , DH's B-day present to me - yeah. Question is for anyone recently back who may have direct or anecdotal opinions about Nathan's golf cart rental v. a scooter rental in terms of reliability and costs. We would do 2/ scooter. We are in port 8am - 3pm and can get off via priority - part of my B-day present was a "sweet suite".:D We do have past expereince with scooters in general.

Thanks all!:)

You are docked in Grand Turk so everyone can exit the ship when they want after being cleared. I am sure there are scooter rentals but I didn't see them. We were very happy with our golf carts. Happy birthday and have a great cruise.

Thank you kindly for quick reply jdvmd, KY.

Sounds like golf carts is the more reliable way to go, other posters have provided some great direction and detail. TY also for clarifying that we are docked not tendered, that's always a good thing.

Wondering if anyone had taken the carts to the salt ponds where the beautiful flamingos are reported ot hang out. We saw them in the Galapagos a few years ago and they are a spectular site to see.

Fondly,

Nurse Leah & Doc

Thank you kindly for quick reply jdvmd, KY.

Sounds like golf carts is the more reliable way to go, other posters have provided some great direction and detail. TY also for clarifying that we are docked not tendered, that's always a good thing.

Wondering if anyone had taken the carts to the salt ponds where the beautiful flamingos are reported ot hang out. We saw them in the Galapagos a few years ago and they are a spectular site to see.

Fondly,

Nurse Leah & Doc

Leah, we took the two golf carts everywhere. We were in Grand Turk last month on the Crown Princess. If you go back through my posts, I gave a pretty detailed account of what we did. You will pass the flamingos as you make your way to the lighthouse. Nathan's map kind of sucks (he also wants you to return it when you return the cart) so we brought our own directions. Still got lost but if we hadn't, we never would have found the beach with all the conch shells. Don't be alarmed when you pass cows, goats and are on dirt roads, just all part of the fun. Make sure to stop in at Governor's Beach on the way back to the ship. It was beautiful.

You will be able to see the golf carts from the ship. When you walk out, cut across the parking lot for employees to save a few steps.

have fun!

Linda

jdvmd

TY Linda,

I'll go back & review all your helpful GT tips & expereinces.

As to the local 4-legged friends :D nothing to us, we visit St. John , USVI quite frequently and run into some real shadey 4 legged friends (goats, pigs, roosters, iguanas, donkeys) causing some major morning traffic jams in Coral Bay. I'm going to try to a snapfish link soon.

It was difficult getting that proud colorful rooster at Francis Bay STJ to stand still and pose for my camera shot.:D

Leah, we took the two golf carts everywhere. We were in Grand Turk last month on the Crown Princess. If you go back through my posts, I gave a pretty detailed account of what we did. You will pass the flamingos as you make your way to the lighthouse. Nathan's map kind of sucks (he also wants you to return it when you return the cart) so we brought our own directions. Still got lost but if we hadn't, we never would have found the beach with all the conch shells. Don't be alarmed when you pass cows, goats and are on dirt roads, just all part of the fun. Make sure to stop in at Governor's Beach on the way back to the ship. It was beautiful.

You will be able to see the golf carts from the ship. When you walk out, cut across the parking lot for employees to save a few steps.

have fun!

Linda

jdvmd

We never saw any scooters or rentals on the island. I don't think they wuld be good because many of the roads are not smooth. Some asphalt turn into dirt then back into asphalt. We bounced around alot in the golf cart, but had great fun. Be sure to go to the Island museum.:D

have fun!

Linda

jdvmd

Where did you find the conch Shells? We rented the golf cart in January and are renting it for March 7/2011 again. We had so much fun !!! My 15 year old loved driving on the wrong side of the road !!!!

Many Thanks

Charleyann:D

My 15 year old was the driver this past January ( 2011) He plans on being the driver this March too !!!!

Charleyann

I am sure he had fun driving but I asked about the age regulations and the minimum age to drive is 16. Our two 13-year-olds wanted to drive but we didn't let them. We did have to show our driver's licenses (husband and me -- we had two carts). Our 20-year-old and her best friend, 21, didn't bring theirs along. Officially, they weren't allowed to drive but I admit that I let our daughter tool around a little bit.

Can't remember the name of the beach right now but do you remember before you went up the hill to go to the lighthouse, there was another major road to the left. We took the left. The pavement ended and we were on dirt for quite a distance. You could see the lighthouse but couldn't get to it from where we were.

Looking for respose from somone who's been recently. Nathan was having some issues with the carts recently, according to the reviews. Did you all have issues recently? Did they break down? I was considering canceling my reservation if they were still in need of repair.

Thanks!

Have you read through all the threads? If so, you would see that plenty of us have been recently and had no issues. We were there at the end of December and had two carts. One ran faster than the other but that was it. I was very leery and thought seriously about canceling my reservation after reading those one or two negative reviews. Decided to take a chance and we had a ball. Went all over the island at our own pace.

We were in Grand Turk in November 2008 just a couple of months after a hurricane decimated the Island. Rather than spend our time and money in the manufactured resort at the pier we wanted to 'escape the compound' and show our support for the citizens by spending money directly with them.

I'm hoping that the Island has recovered but I thought I'd post a few pictures of what we saw. We didn't have a reservation for the golf carts but were able to get one just by walking across the street from the pier parking lot.

As mentioned the people are incredibly friendly and helpful. We bought T-shirts and key chains we really didn't need in little shops that were operating without power.

I believe if you click on the pictures I've picked out you will be taken to my photo page where if you want you can see more pictures. For some reason I never took a picture of the golf carts but you can see how up close you get when driving them around. Remember these pictures are from November 2008 - I'm sure things look better now.

View of the ship from the golf cart rental site

642807249_iDtkq-L.jpg

638951413_rDoRc-L.jpg

The Lighthouse - note the missing roof tiles on the building on the left

638954752_7iNA5-L-1.jpg

We drove around downed power poles and lines

638955787_MvHBW-L.jpg

Supporting the locals

638958579_pLnaf-L.jpg

Looking for respose from somone who's been recently. Nathan was having some issues with the carts recently, according to the reviews. Did you all have issues recently? Did they break down? I was considering canceling my reservation if they were still in need of repair.

Thanks!

We rented the first week in January. We drove around for at least 3 hours and then the engine started missing. Then it got ok and did it about 2 more times. When we got by Jacks Shack it quit completely. My husband too the key to them across the street and we did not pay for the gas used as we had to end our day early with the rental. We would chance it again, it was so much fun. We did not pay for gas as we could not drive it to the gas station.

• 2 weeks later...

A bunch of us from our CC role call rented golf carts. We got split up into two groups and only saw each other once as we passed each other during the day. At one point we passed a burned out golf cart on the side of the road and stopped to take pictures. We had a lovely day spent touring the island, visiting the beaches, took a nap in a hammock, saw the light house, Conch World, the space capsule and enjoyed the views. We saw lots of wild horses, burrows and goats. It was a wonderful day.

At the end we went to Jack's Shack where we ran into our friends. Turns out it was THEIR Golf cart that had started on fire. It was running slowly and started to smoke. Luckily they stopped and got off just before it burst into flames. The whole thing burned up. Thank goodness nobody was injured. A bunch of locals from the water department came by with buckets of water in a truck and put it out. Another golf cart was delivered to them on a truck shortly afterward.

If you'd like to see pictures, there's a bunch on our role call.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=999710&page=788

We had a rental a few days ago. There were four of us. When we arrived to pick up our cart, we noticed there were three jeeps there too. The lady in charge said the jeeps were the same price so we took one instead of a cart. It was great -tooted around the island in no time, finishing up at Jack's shack for a leisurely snack.

We had a rental a few days ago. There were four of us. When we arrived to pick up our cart, we noticed there were three jeeps there too. The lady in charge said the jeeps were the same price so we took one instead of a cart. It was great -tooted around the island in no time, finishing up at Jack's shack for a leisurely snack.

Are the jeeps automatic or standard (stick shift) ?