Hairspray recommendations

ShedQueen77

I'm going to admit publicly that I have not owned a can of hairspray since I used Aqua Net for my big 80's hair. I have always had a style that at the most would require a bit of mousse and that was pushing it!

I got a cut now that is going to need a little hairspray to keep it where I want it. I'm looking for something that will hold, but not feel like straw or a helmet. I use Rusk Design Series mousse and love the performance and the scent, but the Rusk hairspray (that my stylist suggested) just doesn't smell right! It smells like chemical, which really put me off. I'm a sniffer and my hair products have to smell good no matter how well they perform. ;)

I have thin hair that doesn't like to hold a style.

Any suggestions?

I'm a big fan of L'Oreal's Ellnet hairspray. I think it runs a little higher than Rusk products, but I can find it at my local Target for about $14. I like the way it smells but then it reminds me of the first time I ever tried it (on a cruise) and the man I was with at the time, so I have a very Proustian "remembrance of things past" thing going on with this product! Anyway, I like it for its hold and for its lack of stiffness. And it does hold well -- I drive a convertible and I have long hair and bangs, so I know all about good-holding hairspray!

I'm a big fan of L'Oreal's Ellnet hairspray. I think it runs a little higher than Rusk products, but I can find it at my local Target for about $14. I like the way it smells but then it reminds me of the first time I ever tried it (on a cruise) and the man I was with at the time, so I have a very Proustian "remembrance of things past" thing going on with this product! Anyway, I like it for its hold and for its lack of stiffness. And it does hold well -- I drive a convertible and I have long hair and bangs, so I know all about good-holding hairspray!

I'll second this statement...just bought my first small can of this stuff, to try it. Well I'll be buying the larger size next time. Played all day w/grandson outside running and throwing a football, it held great and was soft to the touch. No more "helmet head" for me.:)

Neverthought

I use Paul Mitchells Clean Spray, since it doesn't seem to leave a build-up or a scent like other sprays. It comes in soft, regular (which is what I use) and a firm hold formula.

I don't like my products to smell like anything, or at least the fragrance subsides. Which is why I always avoid products like Aveda...they make great products but the smell of it puts me off.

If I brush through my hair, Ican still use more of the PM clean spray and it doesn't make me feel like a helmet head.

Thanks, ladies! I'm heading out to Target later today and I'll pick up the L'Oreal to try.

I've used Paul Mitchell in the past and been happy with the products. I'll have to wait to pick it up until I get over to see my stylist again, she's a 40 minute drive away...small town living, gotta love it! :D

Tigi's Bead Head, hard head hair spray. Its fabulous. It holds your hair, yet you can brush thru it later & not rip your hair out.. It can be light, just right, or firm, depending on how close you hold it. Pleasant scent, that does not linger. I haven't found anything better that everyone loves, its our #1 seller.

Another vote for Bed Head, although I have a couple of small cans of the Elnett that I'm taking on our Ruby TA next month. I figure I can use them up and toss them rather than carrying the big can of BedHead.

I was a Sebastian Shaper lover for years.....until L'Oreal's Elnett finally made it's way across the ocean (it's been available only in Europe for years). Now I don't use anything but Elnett.

My hair touches my shoulders, and has a mind of it's own :) so while I don't want "helmet head", I do need some hold.

I've been using the Elnett for a week or so, and I like Tigi Bed Head much better. I have 2 small sample cans of the Elnett that I'm taking with me, but once it's gone I'll stick with Bed Head.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried it & love it...Thank You....Wish I could find a smaller can for travelling...but this is great stuff

I used the Kenra aerosol sprays for years but hated spending the $20-$25 per can. On a whim, I tried V05 Extreme Style Max Hold and find it is just as good at holding my fine hair all day - and costs under $4 for the 8.5 oz can! Look for the tall red can with orange grafitti design. Holds great, but does not cause helmet head!

This particular product has become hard to find in my local stores, but I recently found it on sale at drugstore.com and picked up several to hold me for a while...

Tried it & love it...Thank You....Wish I could find a smaller can for travelling...but this is great stuff

You're welcome -- glad it worked. They definitely package it in a smaller size -- about 3.5 ounces or something like that. My local Target sells the smaller cans -- maybe if you tried there? You might also be able to find them online, since they definitely exist!

I was a Sebastian Shaper lover for years.....until L'Oreal's Elnett finally made it's way across the ocean (it's been available only in Europe for years). Now I don't use anything but Elnett.

My hair touches my shoulders, and has a mind of it's own :) so while I don't want "helmet head", I do need some hold.

Elnett here in the states is not the same as what you find in europe, they still use floracarbons (sp??) and we cant use that here, atleast its not sold in our country .I always get some when we are in england, or when hubby is in england he knows to bring some home :) Works quite well!!

Having a heck of a job getting Ellnet here in BC. Even Walmart doesn't have it and Pharmasave tried to order it for me to no avail. Guess I'll have to wait till we get to Fort Lauderdale to buy it !!!!

Sebastian Shaper is good, as is Redken's Quick Dry 18, but my all time favorite is TIGI Bed Head Masterpiece!!!! It is a light spray with a shine product included. They call it massive shine hairspray. My hair is short and fine and this works well, but not sticky and/or stiff.

Great stuff.

Thanks for the tip about looking for "flexible hold"! They stopped selling the hair spray I was using and I've been having trouble finding something that didn't make my hair stiff and frizzy. I ended up getting Garnier Wonder Waves. It has the flexible hold. I don't have waves but it works well on my fine, mostly straight hair. It has a subtle scent too (I hate smelling hair spray smell all day!).

I agree with a previous post...Normally didn't like hairspray but this brand is amazing...It's by Sebastien's and it dries in a wink .. has "zero gravity"... and you can still brush your hair later and it will still hold the style....In Canada you can buy it at Trade Secrets.

Archived