Disembarkation for an 11 a.m. flight FLL

phincrazy

We have an 11 a.m. flight out of Ft. Lauderdale and are using SAS transportation. Do we need to do anything special to self-disembark as soon as the ship is cleared customs? Do we need to get a special pass or anything? Do you see any problems making our 11 a.m. flight?

We have an 11 a.m. flight out of Ft. Lauderdale and are using SAS transportation. Do we need to do anything special to self-disembark as soon as the ship is cleared customs? Do we need to get a special pass or anything? Do you see any problems making our 11 a.m. flight?

What ship? What day of the week? What embarkation port? What time are you scheduled to arrive at the port?

You do not need a special pass for self-disembarkation (just don't pick up the color tags for particular times to leave). Be aware that there may be a long line of other self-debark passengers, so get in the line early.

Keep in close cell phone contact with your ground transportation so you will know exactly where they are (tell them what you are wearing, physical description (say, a 6'6" man and a 5'2" woman), find out what color & type vehicle they are in etc) and despite the normal congestion you'd find outside the terminal, you'll be able to get together quickly. The pier is very very close to the FLL airport.

If your ship is arriving at 7 or 8 a.m. in Port Everglades and all goes well, there should not be a problem getting to the airport in time. If there are constant calls for pax X to report to customs, then you may have delays. It's impossible to predict this kind of thing.

I'd recommend using the ship's internet service your last night to print your boarding passes, though.

You haven't said if your flight is domestic or not. If it is international, (or if you are not a US citizen it may take longer to clear immigration) you are required to check in earlier, so keep that in mind.

What ship? What day of the week? What embarkation port? What time are you scheduled to arrive at the port?

We arrive on Sunday, April 4th on the Jewel to the Port of Miami? I think we arrive at 8 a.m. per their itinerary. SAS is to pick us up, they will explain the pickup when they deliver us the previous Sunday..

You do not need a special pass for self-disembarkation (just don't pick up the color tags for particular times to leave). Be aware that there may be a long line of other self-debark passengers, so get in the line early.

Keep in close cell phone contact with your ground transportation so you will know exactly where they are (tell them what you are wearing, physical description (say, a 6'6" man and a 5'2" woman), find out what color & type vehicle they are in etc) and despite the normal congestion you'd find outside the terminal, you'll be able to get together quickly. The pier is very very close to the FLL airport.

If your ship is arriving at 7 or 8 a.m. in Port Everglades and all goes well, there should not be a problem getting to the airport in time. If there are constant calls for pax X to report to customs, then you may have delays. It's impossible to predict this kind of thing.

I'd recommend using the ship's internet service your last night to print your boarding passes, though.

You haven't said if your flight is domestic or not. If it is international, (or if you are not a US citizen it may take longer to clear immigration) you are required to check in earlier, so keep that in mind.

While the advice you offer may apply, do you think it applies in this situation?

The OP is posting on the NCL Board. Although they did not indicate it, one can assume that they are sailing on NCL.

NCL does not sail into or out of Port Everglades.

Based on the above, I would think that advice based on the presumption that the poster will be in Port Everglades (ie "the port is very very close to the airport") may not be exactly what the OP is looking for.

Since the OP posted the question on the NCL board, I have to assume they are cruising on NCL, and therefore returning to the Port of Miami. NCL does not cruise from Port Everglades.

I would never book an 11am flight from FLL when cruising out of Miami. Even a minor delay in the ship's arrival, clearance by CBP, or traffic on the roads from Miami to FLL means you may miss your flight.

We arrive on Sunday, April 4th on the Jewel to the Port of Miami? I think we arrive at 8 a.m. per their itinerary. SAS is to pick us up, they will explain the pickup when they deliver us the previous Sunday..

Personally, I wouldn't book a flight this early out of FLL. Even a minor delay could mean you'll miss the flight. Even if everything runs on schedule it's going to be tight. I suppose it's too late for you to switch to a later flight, but if by any chance you can, I recommend doing so.

Agreed with all. I'd never book an 11 a.m. flight out of FLL when arriving at the Port of Miami. My previous advice, not knowing any of this, was ONLY for a FLL cruise end and flight! The POM is NOT near the FLL airport!

Honestly, based on the potential variables, I would not even feel comfortable with an 11am flight out of the Miami Airport.

Granted you may make it...and I'm certain that some have...but still, I would not be comfortable with it.

every day is different, so many variables!

we came in to Miami and were at the airport ticket counter by nine! In Ft Lauderdale we were at the airport by nine but in an absolutely horrible line to check in. we ended up going back out to curbside and after a tip to the skycap were able to checkin there and made the flight...but barely!

we no longer schedule flights before one!

good luck!

Beverly

I've done this several times. Don't let these others posters scare you!!

I've done exactly as you plan. Cruised on the Jewel into and out of Miami and flown out of FLL. You can absolutely do this and you will have time to spare. I've done it several times!

First, self dis-embark and be ready by 7:15 am and be waiting by the exit all ready to go. Nothing fun happens on the ship this last morning anyways. Nothing to do but pack and leave so just get up and be ready to go and get on with your day.

You will be one of the first off the ship at 7:30 ish. You will be one of the first in the customs line and immigration. You won't have to wait in big long lines and it won't be a bottleneck here because you will be in the FRONT of the line.

Plan to take a taxi. Not SAS. With SAS they will want you to wait until their van is full with other passengers. You don't want to wait. Take a taxi, there will be many lined up just ready and waiting to take you. The taxi up to FLL will take about 30 minutes.

You can be to FLL before 9am - I have. You will be sitting at your gate happy knowing you have an 11 am flight. Look around, lots of cruisers will be trying to work an earlier flight and will be envious of you! Be sure to come back here and post about how you made your 11 am flight with plenty of time.

I've done exactly as you plan. Cruised on the Jewel into and out of Miami and flown out of FLL. You can absolutely do this and you will have time to spare. I've done it several times!

First, self dis-embark and be ready by 7:15 am and be waiting by the exit all ready to go. Nothing fun happens on the ship this last morning anyways. Nothing to do but pack and leave so just get up and be ready to go and get on with your day.

You will be one of the first off the ship at 7:30 ish. You will be one of the first in the customs line and immigration. You won't have to wait in big long lines and it won't be a bottleneck here because you will be in the FRONT of the line.

Plan to take a taxi. Not SAS. With SAS they will want you to wait until their van is full with other passengers. You don't want to wait. Take a taxi, there will be many lined up just ready and waiting to take you. The taxi up to FLL will take about 30 minutes.

You can be to FLL before 9am - I have. You will be sitting at your gate happy knowing you have an 11 am flight. Look around, lots of cruisers will be trying to work an earlier flight and will be envious of you! Be sure to come back here and post about how you made your 11 am flight with plenty of time.

Maybe you've been fortunate enough to have not been on cruises that have arrived late or delayed for clearance by CBP. We've had both happen to us...it's not uncommon. Our son and daughter-in-law almost missed a 1pm flight out of FLL thanks to a delay by CBP. By the way, you're ignoring the substantial additional expense of taking a taxi to FLL rather than a shuttle. For that matter how do you do a 7:30 disembarkation of a ship that doesn't arrive until 8 ?

Maybe you've been fortunate enough to have not been on cruises that have arrived late or delayed for clearance by CBP. We've had both happen to us...it's not uncommon. Our son and daughter-in-law almost missed a 1pm flight out of FLL thanks to a delay by CBP. By the way, you're ignoring the substantial additional expense of taking a taxi to FLL rather than a shuttle. For that matter how do you do a 7:30 disembarkation of a ship that doesn't arrive until 8 ?

Totally agree with you Horse I wouldn't do a 11 am out of Miami let alone FLL. Too many variable that can go awry.

I think what you are suggesting is still a lot of stress and You better be up very early if you are are to make the very front of this line. Even then as one person posted the ship does not arrive until 8am and then the passengers have to wait until the ship is cleared. Give at least 30 mins for that, drive time to FLL and I think that it would make for a very stressful last moments of my vacation. The OP MAY make an 11 am flight but the sun, moon and stars all have to be in line for this to happen. When you suggest that the OP takes a cab, post what the cab fare is because it not a $30 cab ride from the pier to FLL!

"Don't let these others posters scare you!!"

I'm not scared. I entered Miami when there were three other ships ahead of us and customs never began screening on board till after nine. We very nearly missed our FLL flight which was at one PM.

Point is - you MAY make your flight and you may miss it. Do you want to spend your cruise, or even the last day of it, worrying that everything has to go perfectly?

We left the Dawn in Miami at 8:30.(self disembark--not one person in customs line) .SAS picked us up at 8:40(waited 5 minutes for other riders..we were at FLL at 9:20 and sitting at our gate at 9:40 for our 1:00 flight. I was absolutely stunned how quickly this went..never expected to have to wait for our flight for 3 plus hours.

That said.....I would have been a nervous wreck if we had scheduled an

11 am flight because as the posters have said..you never, ever know what will happen that morning. Could happen as smooth as ours...or everything could be delayed. You never know!

we had an 11:15am flight back in December and disembarked in MIA on the Navigator of the Seas.

We also used SAS. We were at the airport at 8:20am.

I don't know how early you can get off on NCL though.

Bill

Archived