Steakhouse "service charge" and tipping

ccNVcpl

Does "exceptional service" = "hovering"?

I don't want to be watched like a hawk while I eat nor do I need my water refilled each time I take a sip. If that's what it's like I'd rather just stay in the dining room.

No, it shouldn't. There's a fine line between being unobtrusive and apathetic. But a good server seems to know that line. :p

I simply scribble an amount on the conveniently provided line on the check (why do they call it a CHECK, when it is far from that)!

Tom

Drat darn, Tom . . . why did you have to go and ask that??

I could just try to pretend I didn't see the question, but I'd still ponder over it non-stop until I satisfied the trivia challenge. Yowza, that's an interesting one!

I came across a variety of answers, but this is the one I deem best to satisfy my own curiosity.

I doubt it'll ever come in handy for any of my future Ships On A Stick from trivia, but (for now) it satisfies the question for me. :)

OK, I'm finished with this thread. Check, please!! :D

Drat darn, Tom . . . why did you have to go and ask that??

I could just try to pretend I didn't see the question, but I'd still ponder over it non-stop until I satisfied the trivia challenge. Yowza, that's an interesting one!

I came across a variety of answers, but this is the one I deem best to satisfy my own curiosity.

I doubt it'll ever come in handy for any of my future Ships On A Stick from trivia, but (for now) it satisfies the question for me. :)

OK, I'm finished with this thread. Check, please!! :D

Glad I could assist in keeping the old wheels turning! ;)

:D

Tom

What would your tip be at a $200 dinner? Because that is what you are getting. I don't care what you think you are getting in the MDR, but it is nothing on the dollar compared to the food and service you get in the steakhouse.

Do as you do in a high priced steakhouse on land.

Hmmmm, 20% of $200.00 = $40.00

Steakhouse is $30.00 X2= $60.00

So, Ask for $20.00 Change????:eek::p

What would your tip be at a $200 dinner? Because that is what you are getting. I don't care what you think you are getting in the MDR, but it is nothing on the dollar compared to the food and service you get in the steakhouse.

Do as you do in a high priced steakhouse on land.

While I agree to tipping extra (when warranted) - many here on CC will not buy into that. As a matter of fact, it would seem that a lot of people on here won't even go the extra mile to shell out the $30 pp to start with (the "I have already paid for this nice meal in the MDR" crowd).

Of those who do, though, people who tend to tip generously on land will continue the practice here - whereas those who don't, will likely continue with same.

Tom

Interesting point: when they sign you into Anytime Dining

your tip money is "diverted" to your specific Anytime Dining Servers. Do you suppose that when they sign you into the Steakhouse, your tip money is similarly diverted to your specific Steakhouse servers? ken

I was just on the Freedom and went to Anytime Dining four times. Each time we had a different wait staff. I don't think they would go through the time and effort to divide that up, and then what happens to the nights you don't eat in the MDR? Who gets those tips?

While I understand that the $30 p/p is a "service charge", I also read that most diners also leave a tip. I'm just wondering what level to tip at, given no base price to judge %.

Hi Ken

Sorfry to hijack your thread but I just wanted to say hello. This is Keith from the Triumph cruise in 2006. How is it going? When is the next cruise?

Talk to you later Cruzn Bud.:D;)

Hi Ken - This is Keith from the Triumph cruise in 2006. How is it going? When is the next cruise?

Hey Keith, Still have the CD you burned for us - think of that fun group often. We've relocated to Texas since then (closer to port :)). We're cruising with CD John on Conquest for Easter, then a couple more later in year. How about you guys?

Ken

While I agree to tipping extra (when warranted) - many here on CC will not buy into that. As a matter of fact, it would seem that a lot of people on here won't even go the extra mile to shell out the $30 pp to start with (the "I have already paid for this nice meal in the MDR" crowd).

Of those who do, though, people who tend to tip generously on land will continue the practice here - whereas those who don't, will likely continue with same.

Tom

Sorry Tom, I don't buy that notion at all!! I always tip between 20-25% on land but do not tip extra in the steakhouse or any other specialty restaurant onboard. I think $60 is plenty for a so called Service charge/tip at a specialty restaurant @ sea. I think you are comparing apples to oranges in this case. I don't mean to sound like quality of food or service are different, just the circumstances involved such as that you could have already had a nice meal in the MDR and not paid extra. Service just a little better and more personal in specialities, and some nice refinement of the food as well. I feel for those extra features that is why you are paying the fee!!

Sorry Tom, I don't buy that notion at all!! I always tip between 20-25% on land but do not tip extra in the steakhouse or any other specialty restaurant onboard. I think $60 is plenty for a so called Service charge/tip at a specialty restaurant @ sea. I think you are comparing apples to oranges in this case. I don't mean to sound like quality of food or service are different, just the circumstances involved such as that you could have already had a nice meal in the MDR and not paid extra. Service just a little better and more personal in specialities, and some nice refinement of the food as well. I feel for those extra features that is why you are paying the fee!!

Just think. If they told us how much of the $ 30 service charge represented the tip, we could than make an informed choice as to how much of a total tip they should get.

This way they make us guess.

It is, after all, totally OPTIONAL.

Some people will make the decision to tip in addition to the "cover/service charge" based on the service, food quality, atmosphere, etc...

You are on vacation... it's your call!

Tom

Just think. If they told us how much of the $ 30 service charge represented the tip, we could than make an informed choice as to how much of a total tip they should get.

If you tip $2 for your dinner meal in the MDR, and the service twice as good in the SC? Does that make it $4? $5? What percentage of the $30 would you be inclined to put down even more?

It's not black or white issue - it comes down to a personal judgment call (which to some will appear as black or white).

Disclaimer... using the term BLACK OR WHITE is in no way a reference to race... :rolleyes:

Tom

My experience with "specialty Restaurants on board is this:

I cruised before there were ANY!

Then some lines installed them. It was ALWAYS made clear that the food [even tho better than the MDR] was FREE. The charge was the tip for the workers.

Now that is no longer made clear, but I have not noticed anywhere that there is a specific additional charge for the FOOD. It is just not clear what the charge covers.

So I just go with the service charge. IF the service should ever be truly outstanding, I will tip more. It has always been great, but that is as expected and covered in the service charge.

From Carnival's website:

There is a nominal charge of $30 per person for dinner.

The $30 fee includes an appetizer, entrée, dessert and the wait staffs' gratuity.

Optional additional gratuities may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account.

Reservation fee does not include bar service such as wine, liquor, soda and bottled water.

Guests can request a table anytime between 6 PM and 9:30 PM.

Requesting your table at least two weeks prior to your sail date is recommended.

Requested dates and times will be honored on a first-come, first-served basis.

If requested time is full, the next available time slot will be assigned.

Please allow 2 ½ hours for your dining experience.

Dress code requires that men wear jackets on the 'Cruise Elegant' nights of the cruise.

All dining rooms are smoke-free.

From Carnival's website:

The $30 fee includes an appetizer, entrée, dessert and the wait staffs' gratuity.

Optional additional gratuities may be extended in cash or to the guest's Sail & Sign Account.

Reservation fee does not include bar service such as wine, liquor, soda and bottled water.

Guests can request a table anytime between 6 PM and 9:30 PM.

Requesting your table at least two weeks prior to your sail date is recommended.

Requested dates and times will be honored on a first-come, first-served basis.

If requested time is full, the next available time slot will be assigned.

Please allow 2 ½ hours for your dining experience.

Dress code requires that men wear jackets on the 'Cruise Elegant' nights of the cruise.

All dining rooms are smoke-free.

And no shades of gray (or is it grey)... LOL ! ;)

Tom

From Carnival's website:

There was a thread about this last year where it was discussed that the tip was included in the $30. So when we went on the Pride last May, I asked our server if her tip was indeed included and she said no it wasn't. She said the servers did not get any of the $30 surcharge at all. Maybe we were naive to believe her but we added a tip. Whatever the truth is, I am sure the servers could use the extra money and we certainly would never miss it.

There was a thread about this last year where it was discussed that the tip was included in the $30. So when we went on the Pride last May, I asked our server if her tip was indeed included and she said no it wasn't. She said the servers did not get any of the $30 surcharge at all. Maybe we were naive to believe her but we added a tip. Whatever the truth is, I am sure the servers could use the extra money and we certainly would never miss it.

Of course not. Their job is to get as much money out of your wallet and into theirs. Your mistake was asking.

The $30 includes tip. I understand that some people tip extra for the great service and food. But isn't the better service and better food the whole reason you are paying the extra $30 in the first place? Thats like paying extra for a balcony and then tipping your room steward extra because you like the balcony so much. I love the steakhouse, but I pay the $30 each and call it good.

The $30 includes tip. I understand that some people tip extra for the great service and food. But isn't the better service and better food the whole reason you are paying the extra $30 in the first place? Thats like paying extra for a balcony and then tipping your room steward extra because you like the balcony so much. I love the steakhouse, but I pay the $30 each and call it good.

I agree 100%...But i bet the next several threads will not...:rolleyes:

Archived